Cyberpunk 2077 - Please use spoiler tags

Vemsie

1 hour ago, K said:

It's "wrong" in loads of places, I don't think it's a typo. I think 'holmes' is an accepted spelling for the word for some reason. A quick Google shows claims that its a reference to boxer Larry Holmes, but this sounds pretty unlikely. For obvious reasons, its pretty hard to trace the origins of slang words like this.

Oh, I imagine that someone, somewhere is doing their PhD on this very thing. 

I for one applaud this abuse of learning. 

Has anyone else noticed the hard-on this game has for male bicep veins or is it just me

Like you can be talking to some dude who doesn’t even seem particularly jacked and there’ll just be a vein snaking up his arm like it’s been stuck on to his skin

Also I just started reading Neuromancer and fuck me this game draws some “heavy inspiration” from it, down to even the jargon like ICE

Wait till you read Count Zero and Mona Lisa Overdrive!

To be fair, I can’t think of a single cyberpunk thingummy I’m aware of that they haven’t drawn on in some way. It’s a wonderfully realised mash up.

I’m still loving this on an Xbox Series x. What improvements are we expecting in a next gen patch? Ray tracing and more people/cars on the road?

The difference in quality between some of the character models is quite disconcerting though. I guess some of them have had lovely lighting baked in and others haven’t - so it shows off the model flaws more obviously.

Quick question regarding the main story line. I'm sure this has been posted on the last page or two but I didn't want to click on anyones spoiler tags in case I revealed something I hadn't yet experienced.

Spoiler

I'm at the point of no return main mission. I've not yet started it as I'm hoovering up all the little side jobs, gigs and random missions on the map. When I start that mission at the point of no return, roughly how much of the main story have I got left? I just want to know to decide whether to do it or to carry on with the side jobs (of which I have lots and lots left :) )

I would personally advise doing all the 'major' side missions, and then going straight into the ending without cleaning up the map. There are a LOT of side missions, and I felt that the plot had lost a lot of momentum after spending ages doing all the extra stuff. I'd finish the plot, and then do the gigs afterwards.

If you finish the plot, how can you do the side gigs after - doesn’t the game end?

I ask this because I’ve been doing side missions for about three months now, and they are still waiting patiently in Embers…

1 minute ago, ZOK said:

If you finish the plot, how can you do the side gigs after - doesn’t the game end?

I ask this because I’ve been doing side missions for about three months now, and they are still waiting patiently in Embers…

This is what I thought too.

After you finish the story, you get put back to a save just before the point of no return. So you're not technically doing them after the main plot ends.

Finally got around to sinking 20 off hours into this. It's great isn't it! The world is fantastically realised with the best character animation I've seen to-date. The subtle nuances of motion are really something.

I found the first act a little too "on rails" for my liking but when it became properly open world and you get enough perks for the shooting to not be awful it really comes into its own. 

Playing the Stadia edition. Haven't encountered a bug or crash.

I watched a YouTube video last night talking about CD Projekt Red's plummeting share price and their latest investor call. Anyway, amongst that there was a tasty bit of info - sources at the Epic Store are planning for a major patch for the game on the 10th of June. Content is expected to be more focussed on quality of life than previous patches. Fingers crossed!

Other tidbits include that there is still no imminent release for PlayStation Store, apparently Sony have set quite a high bar of terms the game has to meet (understandably) and Projekt didn't seem to have any planned timeframe for meeting them. One good piece of news is that Cyberpunk's new game director has been responsible for some excellent DLC for other games in the past, so that's promising for upcoming expansions.

In other YouTube news, popular (and personally recommended) Youtuber Yong Yea - who has 1 million plus subscribers - and covers reviews, publisher controversy and the like has de-listed his Cyberpunk review alongside a video explaining why. He cites the restrictive review process, limited review time given by Projekt, but most of all his own trust of CDPR to have things sorted for launch. He never even considered the console versions could be a disaster and all these factors combined with his own pressure to get a review out quickly meant ultimately he's not happy with the depth and fairness of the review and has taken it down. To be fair he did touch on a lot of the problems in his review pre-launch but ultimately like many reviewers was playing the best version of the game with faith that many of the issues would be resolved, which they never did. Anyway its a nice bit of transparency about the review process and the factors that reviewers have to juggle, and Yea holds up his hands to his mistakes and resolves to never give a company the benefit of the doubt and not rush out longer game reviews for epic titles like Cyberpunk. It may be way past the fact but Yong Yea has a lot of followers and is well respected in the community so it's noteworthy.

Finally, I got my PS5 a few weeks ago and booted up Cyberpunk for about 20 minutes to see how it compared to base PS4. As you can imagine, it looks quite a bit better. Higher resolution, much less pop-in (and at further distances). LOD (level of detail) model pops are much less noticeable as well. Most importantly the framerate is massively improved. I even tested it in crowds and combat and for the majority of the time it was running at a smooth fps, a huge difference from the juddering of base PS4. I was expecting much faster loading times as well, but they are still quite lengthy, although maybe half of what they take on PS4.

As for the game itself, nothing's new of course. Within seconds I was witnessing a ton of minor bugs and the whole 20 minutes I was noticing jank everywhere. It's still in a pretty embarassing state for a game that's been out for 6 months. Thank god they finally made a new icon category for selling cars in the map though. As much as I was looking forward to carrying on the game on PS5, I think I'll hold out longer for at least the next patch in the hopes more of the minor bugs will be quashed and some other quality of life will be improved. What I struggle with most is having the willpower to wait months and months for actual feature updates, you only get to experience the game for the first time once and I'm already a fair way through it. It would be quite gutting for the game to get some big updates and not having the benefit of them for your first run of the core game. But at least expansions can take advantage of it.

So I’ve been out of the Cyberpunk game since buying a copy on Xbox but deciding never to play it till they fixed it. 

However I got a fat gaming pc this week so am tempted to give it a shot for £30 on the epic store. What’s the state of it on PC now and is there an upcoming patch due?

Edit: Read the post above about June 10th which sounds promising. I love atmospheric games and want something after I’m done with Death Stranding. 

10 minutes ago, Yiggy said:

What’s the state of it on PC now and is there an upcoming patch due?

The PC version has always been fine. GOTY material. Does your new system have an RTX GPU?

No idea about patches, but it's been a while since the last one. So expect another one 'around the corner'.

Yep - I spent 100+ hours in the PC version back last december and I saw way less bugs and issues than you do with your usual Bethesda Fallout or Elder Scrolls which are held in the highest regard despite those issues.

It's a good game, and I enjoyed most of my time with it. I don't think it's a very well managed game - inasmuch as I still have a huge amount of issues with how they paced the sodding thing. I think making the main story feel so very urgent, whilst dropping so much content on you at once confuses me and makes no sense from a story-telling point of view. I do understand it's a constant conundrum for this sort of game, but I felt this is something they got right so much better in Witcher 3 that CP2077 feels like a significant downgrade from that magnificent beast.

But, I'm someone that once into a role I really like to forge my path as neatly and logically as possible and tell a tale that feels organic, yet makes sense within the confines of the game itself?

I suspect there's a bit of OCD in me somewhere.