Cyberpunk 2077 - Please use spoiler tags

I can't wait for fully-fledged mods to hit. The scope for modding this game is beyond huge, and if they really open the doors up it can hang around for just as long as Skyrim has. Longer, easily.

They really need their creation kit equivalent out ASAP. Working on a game this size is too big for a studio. It needs a community.

52 minutes ago, Jacopo said:

Great, thank you. I appreciate your help. I’m going to pick this up later and let the patches download hopefully ready for this evening :)

48 minutes ago, ZOK said:

Also worth knowing it starts VERY slowly, and the combat training makes it seem like the combat is terrible.

The game really gets its hooks into you when you forget the story entirely and start wandering round the city getting into your own mischief, that’s where the real learning and fun is. Although the main story is decent, most of the best writing is in the side quests.

44 minutes ago, Jacopo said:

Sounds great ^_^ Looking forward to (hopefully!) playing this evening! 

39 minutes ago, ZOK said:

Well, I’m probably biased as I think it’s one of the greatest video game experiences of all time. But it definitely depends what you expect and/or take from it - it’s certainly the definition of a flawed masterpiece.

For me, it’s a game about exploring and musing upon an incredibly realised future space, so it delivers in spades.

I mean this is the same conversation me and @JoeK had two posts up. We did it more efficiently. 

3 hours ago, ZOK said:

On this point, it’s worth remembering it’s peppered with errors and bugs whatever platform you play on, but they are so inconsequential (certainly on Stadia, although ymmv) that it’s functionally irrelevant to the wonder that is there.

I think people have the idea that if you watch a ten minute YouTube compilation vid of Cyberpunk bugs, that’s what the game is like. In reality, unless you are playing on the last gen boxes it’s nothing like that at all.

I played on base PS4, unpatched for ages and really enjoyed it. The first patch did make a big difference, mind.

Yes I’ve no idea how it runs on the last gen machines, I just assume they will see the highest incidence of the common issues (based on posts in here mainly).

Pretty much. Bit more jank caused by timing/script collisions.

The big, scripted set piece:

Spoiler

escape from the dump after the heist

was almost completely unplayable.

3 hours ago, smac said:

Pretty much. Bit more jank caused by timing/script collisions.

The big, scripted set piece:

Reveal hidden contents

escape from the dump after the heist

was almost completely unplayable.

That’s interesting, because I really had to think for a while to remember which bit you meant!

Those story beats are just so inconsequential to the overall game...the only one I think really resonated with me as a memorable experience was the festival.

The game's definitely running better than ever on 1.21 - certainly on PC at least. 

Although I will say that I don't recommend anyone putting the RTX stuff on Psycho mode. My card has the power to run it at 60fps, but it's absolutely not stable in the image quality - shadows and other things flicker like buggery. Ultra looks infinitely better.

Really? Psycho mode has always worked perfectly fine for me, running along at 70-90FPS (3080FE at 1440p). I really need that daytime Global Illumination. :wub:  Quite easily the best lighting, and thus overall visuals, that I've ever seen in a game before by a significant margin.

I've yet to try 1.12, though.

3 minutes ago, Fallows said:

Really? Psycho mode has always worked perfectly fine for me, running along at 70-90FPS (3080FE at 1440p). I really need that daytime Global Illumination. :wub:

I've yet to try 1.12, though.

Interesting (well, to me anyway ;) ) . I always see glitches in it, and just thought it was that global illumination having issues with keeping up appearances. I'll have to experiment a bit more!

On 15/04/2021 at 09:33, Dudley said:

Depends how you define "constant" crashes.  Because if you think Cyberpunk was "constantly crashing" at launch you never played Watch Dogs Legion.

I'm glad you brought this up, because no one else seems to. I have both games on PC and Watch Dogs Legion is a broken, buggy mess. Cyberpunk runs like a dream in comparison. WDL is so broken that a crash in the final mission permanently locked out one of my agents - they still show in the roster, you just can't select them. And I lost a lot of time to crashing thanks to it's shitty autosave system. Cyberpunk certainly did crash from time to time, but I don't recall ever losing any real progress ever on reload.

Only issue I've ever really had with Cyberpunk is that I streamed it a fair bit recently and, despite running fine for me on my PC, it looks like it has significant framerate issues in the streams - watching back some of the driving made me feel seriously motion sick, but it was fine in game. And honestly some of the odd glitches were quite funny, the most prominent I recall was early on when a car literally fell randomly from the sky onto mine and exploded.

12 minutes ago, JoeK said:

Interesting (well, to me anyway ;) ) . I always see glitches in it, and just thought it was that global illumination having issues with keep up appearances. I'll have to experiment a bit more!

I've had sections/blocks(?)/cells(!?) of the world briefly lose their lighting just the once or twice when I've been driving at speed, but I put that down to general jank. Nothing I'd want to drop Psycho RTX over.

Other abnormalities have been fascinating, more than anything. Like sharp edges of models catching the light and refracting it violently if I position the camera just right. It'd be better if all that was cleared up of course, but I've never been able to play around with 'real' light in a game before. The lower the DLSS setting the more frequent it happens, naturally due to the lower native resolution running underneath everything.

Sometimes a rogue pixel somewhere will reflect strong sunlight and flare like some kind of morse code signal being passed to me from a bloke on a desert cliff using a broken piece of mirror.

3 minutes ago, Zio said:

Only issue I've ever really had with Cyberpunk is that I streamed it a fair bit recently and, despite running fine for me on my PC, it looks like it has significant framerate issues in the streams - watching back some of the driving made me feel seriously motion sick, but it was fine in game. And honestly some of the odd glitches were quite funny, the most prominent I recall was early on when a car literally fell randomly from the sky onto mine and exploded.

I had the same issues. I wouldn't try streaming this bad boy unless you have a separate PC to handle the processing. There's just no overhead for anything else really, no matter how good your PC is. I don't know, maybe a Ryzen with a lot of cores could handle all the juggling.

Even in its original release I only ever had the game crash hard on me once I think. Everything else was just the immersion-breaking bugs really. Stuff which initially I found desperately hard to get over, but by and large there's such a good game hidden under it that it broke out eventually and most my feelings changed for the better. The latest patch really does feel like there's going to come a point where I'll be pretty much content with how it'll be. I mean, there's still stuff in Witcher 3 that is buggy as all, but after playing the damn thing through at least 6 times now I really don't mind 'em at all :P

Obv. this is on the PC, so mileage may very well vary when you're attempting to rise above the bugs on a base PS4/Xbox I guess.

Made a start on this this morning, Act 1 just began before I stopped for breakfast. This is where the game opens up, right? I'm vaguely aware of the events of the prologue but there was so much information being thrown at me I found myself zoning out at times.

Still, it's fine so far. Looks good, runs nicely. Main complaint so far is the text size in the menus. Having to lean forward to read the screen is not appreciated.

I forget the boundary of act 1 but in a non-spoiler way I'm still gonna put in a spoiler tag, here's the schedule.

Spoiler

One of 3 largely on rails prologues

Merges when you're "Sitting in a car with Jackie outside a job"

After the events directly connected to that, game opens up but a lockdown restricts you to one of about 6 districts

Then that lockdown gets lifted which iirc for me was quite a few hours later.

Yeah, the game doesn't really open up fully until what I like to term as the 'Keanu Factor' happens.

And then it's almost a mind-fuck (literally and figuratively!) of stuff happening all the time. Which can be a little overwhelming really.

On 16/04/2021 at 10:28, ZOK said:

Also worth knowing it starts VERY slowly, and the combat training makes it seem like the combat is terrible.

The game really gets its hooks into you when you forget the story entirely and start wandering round the city getting into your own mischief, that’s where the real learning and fun is. Although the main story is decent, most of the best writing is in the side quests.

5 hours in and I’m absolutely loving this. I really didn’t even think the start was that slow, I thought it was paced perfectly. Well enough for me to get to grips with it. 

I want to get back playing it right away but I’ve jobs around the house that need doing :seanr: I suspect my productivity next week whilst WFH will reduce dramatically :D

Edited by Jacopo
Spelling error
31 minutes ago, SeanR said:

PS4 version has a clubcard discount in Tesco. Nearly bought it, but I’ll wait to start it on ps5.

What’s the situation there?

As far as I’m aware the game runs pretty well on both Series X and PS5. But they’re running effectively the base game without any of the whizzy effects.

Some of the explosion damage is hilariously unbalanced in this. I'm at the point where I'm largely invulnerable in fights now (which I don't mind too much at all - I've had a soft spot for RPGs that welcome you completely breaking them ever since Morrowind). I took out some large camp of hoodlums last night, taking barely a scratch in the process, and as the last one fell I ended up standing right next to one of the little radios which was blaring out an annoying song. Swiftly deactivating it with a point blank round from my sniper rifle seemed like the prudent course of action but, inevitably, the tiny resulting explosion immediately killed me.

The armadillo mods are just as silly. My V's high heels now provide more armour than the heavy military vests that you pick up, which I guess is one solution to not being able to wear the outfit you like because of the stats. I don't know if strutting around in hyper-armoured stilettos with a meat cleaver that instantly kills everyone is necessarily that in-keeping with the lore but it works for me.

I’ve just unwrapped this and it’s a lovely package isn’t it, it’s such a shame what happened with the game when they went to such effort, I mean who else does that these days? 

Yeh, similar here. Bought at launch, played a bit but got quite bored if I'm honest and was rushing through things to move on as quick as possible and it was a tad broken. Will wait some more and come back for another go later in the year I think.

I’ve played the tutorials and the first mission in Night City, it looks amazing. I took about half an hour creating my character :unsure:

I mean I’ve barely started but I’m certainly enjoying it so far, and I do think the density of the world and the detail is beyond anything I’ve seen before in a game, it feels quite overwhelming tbh. 

Anyway will play more later, it’s definitely not one to start late at night as there is a LOT to take in. 

I'm a little way into Act 2 now. It's generally a very mixed bag so far but I'm finding the writing, direction, and world so compelling I'm going to ignore the jank and power through. The jank is hilarious, though - aside from the usual "things materialising into existence in front of you" shoite, I had an instance where I got out of my car to do a job and heard a banging noise immediately. I saw there was an NPC stuck in the front end of the car and after a few seconds of bouncing around the vehicle leapt into the air and landed on its roof, crushing the NPC on the ground but somehow still sending her body into orbit. The car continued to spin around upside down, like a break-dancer, bashing anyone who walked near it across the street and into the air. Eventually it exploded, taking another 5 or 6 pedestrians with it.

End of Act 1 spoiler

Spoiler

Pretty gutted that Jackie died, but also quite pleased that he's been replaced by Canoe.

Also a bit miffed that some rogue Delamain cab trashed my car so I'm having to do a lot of walking around. The constant phone calls from strangers demanding I buy a new car off them is getting tiresome.

Good stuff though, like a mix of Deus Ex and Watchdogs. Hope for a next-gen patch for subsequent play-throughs.