Cyberpunk 2077 - Please use spoiler tags

God this is so good when you get into it. Really impressive world building. Fairly sure the final story mission is now available to me so I'm mopping up some of the side missions, although I'm tempted to finish the main quest and leave the other stuff to play once the series X update is out. 

32 minutes ago, bobontheway said:

I really hope that isn’t a story spoiler for those of us that haven’t played the game and check the thread to see if it’s been patched into a better state...

I edited it, we can mitigate the damage if you do likewise

apologies for doing the thing I hate

Patch 1.21 brings another few thousand bug fixes and so of course, to celebrate, literally within a couple of minutes of loading the latest and greatest version up, my pistol suddenly decides it will no longer fire while in ADS, until I restart the game entirely.

Really close to the end now, just mopping up a load of side missions and gigs, and I can't help but love it, the stupid broken mess that it is. Even this far in, I still keep stumbling across swathes of previously completely uncharted territory, all of it wonderfully realised. Bethesda may be the long-time masters of the art of the grandiose RPG bugfest but I don't think they've ever attained anything like this juxtaposition of brilliance and incompetence.

I would call it "good" at the time, and the constant crashes weren't a deal-breaker for me because of the swift loadtimes on PS5. I'm not sure making it worse is a viable strategy, for me this is borderline unplayable at the moment.

I was hoping for a "No Man's Sky"-style redemption, but I really don't think that's in the cards. 

On 10/04/2021 at 19:36, Fargo said:

God this is so good when you get into it. Really impressive world building. Fairly sure the final story mission is now available to me so I'm mopping up some of the side missions, although I'm tempted to finish the main quest and leave the other stuff to play once the series X update is out. 

It makes it very, very clear when you're about to start the last mission.  After you finish a game it reloads the save it makes at that point for you.

So there is no wrong choice on how to proceed at this point.

2 hours ago, Mr.Crowley said:

I would call it "good" at the time, and the constant crashes weren't a deal-breaker for me because of the swift loadtimes on PS5. I'm not sure making it worse is a viable strategy, for me this is borderline unplayable at the moment.

I was hoping for a "No Man's Sky"-style redemption, but I really don't think that's in the cards. 

Depends how you define "constant" crashes.  Because if you think Cyberpunk was "constantly crashing" at launch you never played Watch Dogs Legion.

On 15/04/2021 at 06:44, Mr.Crowley said:

I might need to check the time periods myself here but I'm pretty sure the duration for No Mans Sky between first release and number of updates where peoples good will started to blossom was quite a bit longer than the 4 months Cyberpunk has been on release. In my head it was 12+ months before any kind of talk of a major turnaround began and Hello Games have put in an unbelievable amount of unending support ever since adding features and content over a span of years.

This was all outside of pandemic conditions and No Mans Sky was largely written off/forgotten about to be relatively quietly worked on behind the scenes compared to the level of scrutiny afforded to this 'major disaster launch' (how it seems to be spun in the media, not my feelings on the matter)

1 hour ago, Ran said:

this 'major disaster launch' (how it seems to be spun in the media, not my feelings on the matter)

I do know what you mean but, um, Sony removed it from sale and it remains unavailable five months later. While there's more to that than purely the state of the game, I'm genuinely struggling to imagine how a game launch could realistically go more badly.

There's no question the console version launch was a terrible decision (criticism well deserved for the state of those releases) but I feel like it gets held up as evidence that the game in general is terrible/irredeemably broken, which it isn't. The PC version (their traditional lead platform) was playable in my experience (and plenty of other accounts on here seem to indicate the same) and should have been their sole focus to begin with.

The higher ups should have delayed the console launches to give them the proper time to fashion into a decent release. Anyway my main point was I think there is plenty of scope for this project to be patched/polished into the state it should have been released in, see where it is towards the end of this year.

2 minutes ago, Ran said:

There's no question the console version launch was a terrible decision (criticism well deserved for the state of those releases) but I feel like it gets held up as evidence that the game in general is terrible/irredeemably broken, which it isn't. The PC version (their traditional lead platform) was playable in my experience (and plenty of other accounts on here seem to indicate the same) and should have been their sole focus to begin with.

The higher ups should have delayed the console launches to give them the proper time to fashion into a decent release. Anyway my main point was I think there is plenty of scope for this project to be patched/polished into the state it should have been released in, see where it is towards the end of this year.

As I said earlier, other than a few niggles there’s absolutely nothing wrong with it on Series X. I must have put well over 100 hours into it now and not had a single crash or game breaking bug.

It does seem odd that its still not back on the PSN store. I think someone on here with a game dev background speculated that CD Projekt Red will have gotten a waiver for the certification process (as many large companies do, with an assurance that game-breaking bugs will be patched before launch), as there's no way it would have gotten through given how often it crashed, and that Sony would likely have been very annoyed with CDPR given that they probably gave those assurances based on a false impression of the state the game was in. So CDPR would face an uphill struggle to get it back on the store. Maybe they're waiting for some kind of significant patch or additional content to relaunch it.

As a Stadia owner, this is obviously the right time to post a pro-Stadia gif celebrating this important victory in the console wars, perhaps depicting a man with the Stadia logo instead of a head doing a complicated dance move or a sassy woman with the Stadia logo on her top doing some kind of dismissive hand gesture, but unfortunately one of the Stadia community is on holiday and the other two don't know how to make gifs.

It's quite incredible how much people's experiences have varied. I've played basically every Bethesda RPG at launch yet this game has been by far the most broken overall. I haven't actually hit any progression stoppers but that's partly because I actively avoided some I read about that it turned out I was quite close to, and it's been a continual parade of lesser bugs.

Just a couple of nights ago I had the quest with River where you have to go to the back entrance of the station. He was standing at the front entrance, refusing to move, and whenever I started following the path on the minimap leading around the back he would say 'not that way, V'. I ended up nudging him all the way around the side of the building, getting into a random firefight when I got there, and somehow this reset him and the rest of the quest worked. And this is after them clearly spending several solid months concentrating on quest fixes (judging by the 1.20 release notes).

Plenty of good bugs too though. I had a fight last night where, with the last guy left, I carefully (and entirely non-psychopathically, to be clear) shot off both of his arms, leaving his weapon lying on the floor with them. You would think this would be quite off-putting to him but he somehow ended up with a pistol in one of the stumps and carried on trying to fight me that way.

3 hours ago, Ran said:

I played 92 hours on One X.  I had 1 mission glitch out (now patched) and a reliable crash every 4 hours or so that made be shut down the game between sessions.

That's about it.  The framerate was fine, the world fine, I didn't see anyone fly into the air, every conversation worked.

Oh, that famous one with the guy in the bath took a while to spring for me too.

All Sony achieved imo is handing MS the timed exclusive on what might well be my favourite game of 2020.

I keep kidding myself that I'm going to wait for the next-gen patch to come out for this before I give it a go. I said the same thing about Last of Us 2 and my attempt to wait for Naughty Dog to get off their arses and patch it was a failure. Think I'm getting close to caving in and giving this a go, too. Am I?

2 hours ago, Chadruharazzeb said:

I keep kidding myself that I'm going to wait for the next-gen patch to come out for this before I give it a go. I said the same thing about Last of Us 2 and my attempt to wait for Naughty Dog to get off their arses and patch it was a failure. Think I'm getting close to caving in and giving this a go, too. Am I?

I think you should dive in. 

I found it took a little while to get into it and I'm still not overly convinced about almost all the rpg shenanigans going on in it, but it's a genuinely awesome game most of the time. The story beats in it are fantastic, and in general the game world is pretty wonderful. 

Apologies if this has already been asked (and I’m sure it has been asked plenty enough!) but with the various patches that have been released is this at least playable on XSX? I’ve been wanting to get into this for a while but held off on account of all the errors and bugs reported. 

5 minutes ago, Jacopo said:

Apologies if this has already been asked (and I’m sure it has been asked plenty enough!) but with the various patches that have been released is this at least playable on XSX? I’ve been wanting to get into this for a while but held off on account of all the errors and bugs reported. 

On this point, it’s worth remembering it’s peppered with errors and bugs whatever platform you play on, but they are so inconsequential (certainly on Stadia, although ymmv) that it’s functionally irrelevant to the wonder that is there.

I think people have the idea that if you watch a ten minute YouTube compilation vid of Cyberpunk bugs, that’s what the game is like. In reality, unless you are playing on the last gen boxes it’s nothing like that at all.

9 minutes ago, ZOK said:

On this point, it’s worth remembering it’s peppered with errors and bugs whatever platform you play on, but they are so inconsequential (certainly on Stadia, although ymmv) that it’s functionally irrelevant to the wonder that is there.

I think people have the idea that if you watch a ten minute YouTube compilation vid of Cyberpunk bugs, that’s what the game is like. In reality, unless you are playing on the last gen boxes it’s nothing like that at all.

Great, thank you. I appreciate your help. I’m going to pick this up later and let the patches download hopefully ready for this evening :)

Also worth knowing it starts VERY slowly, and the combat training makes it seem like the combat is terrible.

The game really gets its hooks into you when you forget the story entirely and start wandering round the city getting into your own mischief, that’s where the real learning and fun is. Although the main story is decent, most of the best writing is in the side quests.

3 minutes ago, ZOK said:

Also worth knowing it starts VERY slowly, and the combat training makes it seem like the combat is terrible.

The game really gets its hooks into you when you forget the story entirely and start wandering round the city getting into your own mischief, that’s where the real learning and fun is. Although the main story is decent, most of the best writing is in the side quests.

Sounds great ^_^ Looking forward to (hopefully!) playing this evening! 

Well, I’m probably biased as I think it’s one of the greatest video game experiences of all time. But it definitely depends what you expect and/or take from it - it’s certainly the definition of a flawed masterpiece.

For me, it’s a game about exploring and musing upon an incredibly realised future space, so it delivers in spades.