Cyberpunk 2077 - Please use spoiler tags

Vemsie

1 hour ago, JoeK said:

The issue I have with Tim (and a number of other genuinely interesting and clever folk) is that they have voices and narration skills that send me to sleep. There are some folk who are just natural orators and some who are not. Tim’s not one of them, and thus I’ve not listened to enough of his stuff and feel somewhat guilty about it!

I had to quit after 22 minutes. I dont care about books that's on Time Magazines top 100 novels list that he happened to read. During those 22 minutes he spends an awful amount of time not reviewing the game. It reminds me of people who starts blabbing about Kant and Heidegger when doing a review of Weekend at Bernie's. Clearly he puts effort into his work so I can see why people like him.

All art is inspired by something, but if you're doing a review then do the review. If you got 1 hour and 30 minutes to spare then fair play, but there's no way I'm spending 90 minutes listening to someone who is bad at narration. I'm sure I would enjoy his work more in written form. 

I admire Zok's passionate appreciation of Cyberpunk. Enthusiasm, as the Ancient Greeks understood, is the breath of the Gods.

I also admire Tim's videos. And it was such an  appreciation that drove me to Tim's Discord server, which in turn, sadly brought me down to game forum infidelity. While here I silently lurk, there amongst Tim's groupie dweebs, I was outspoken and confident. I thought fans of Tim's verbose pretensions would welcome my own, but alas, it never works that way. Things soured and it ended.

The falling out happened over Cyberpunk 2077. Outside of this thread, the game isn't seen so favorably. Over there it was wall-to-wall complaining, fault finding, and nitpicking. The final straw was when that Noah Caldwell-Gervais video was posted as a great assessment. I ranted. They mocked me. All in all, it's unbelievably embarrassing.

I've watched about half of the NCG video, I'm not sure if I'll go back and finish it. I played the game in the same needlessly completionist way, I don't think I'd call it a fault of the game's design though. I don't agree with his assessment that there's no point to most of the side content besides gaining money and no point to gaining money except getting cars. (Or pointing to GTA's equally perfunctory endgame money sinks as being any more interesting.) Exploring the world was always rewarding, and better kit and investing perk points does give you different ways to approach missions. I think it's more the case that you can easily break the game for yourself if you try to minmax it.

I didn't notice this supposed pronounced gulf between the density of content in Watson and the other districts either. (Although Pacifica and Santo Domingo feel a bit sparse, I'm guessing DLC is going to be building at least one of them out more.)

But the real thing that's putting me off is that I read the video description, where he goes on about the game being a flop, which it hasn't been.

13 hours ago, Stanley said:

I kind of like his gruff voice, a bit like David Hayter @ZOK you’d love his Cyberpunk vid, quite long like. 

Watched half of this so far. Really enjoying it, cheers!

I'm methodically hoovering up the map icons in Cyberpunk as well, and while I would agree that the combat and balance are way, way off, I'd also say that it doesn't really matter a lot of the time. Over the last ten hours of so of the game, I've probably fired a gun in anger on three or four occasions - loads of the side missions are story and character based, to the extent that the game feels like an open-world Cyberpunk walking simulator. There are quite a few missions that you can't really fail per se and contain no real game mechanics beyond going somewhere and talking to someone, but the sheer variety and imagination on display means that it's almost invariably worthwhile - the writing is mostly top-notch.

To be honest, I've even leaned into this to a certain degree and started using smart guns more in combat to make them even less of a challenge. It's an odd situation, in that the raw materials to make this a really satisfying shooter are clearly there but just not polished or refined enough, but the game is so heavily story and exploration focused, and those elements are so fucking good that I'm not really bothered. And in any event, using Skippy in a gunfight is tremendous fun.

They didn't bother polishing the gunplay because they rightly realised that if you're not spending all your time pouncing on people with your mantis blades then you're doing it wrong anyway.

Yes, the game lets you break it over your knee if you go up to the progression trees, become a master hacker and you can chain fry everyone's brain in a compound by poking your head over the wall.

It's up to you if that's refreshing and fun after so many games with +2% upgrades or whatever, or another example of the game being rough.

More seriously, I presume you can fiddle with difficulty levels and actually make the combat a challenge but I do also largely prefer it as-is, with everyone being dispatched fairly effortlessly, especially with the general jankiness of it all. I got some power pistol or another early on and I'm not sure if it's a bit broken but it's always been absurdly powerful compared to other weapon types, both in terms of single headshot kills and penetrating through all available surfaces. Combined with the x-ray highlighting of enemies - can't remember if this is default or some mod I fitted - it's really only ever as hard as you want it to be. (Yeah, phrasing.)

I'm on a bit of a break from it at the moment, somewhat waiting for the next patch in the hope that it's a little bit more substantial than the previous bug fix ones. I'm not sure what exactly I'm waiting for, not least because CDPR have offered no details about their ambitions at all, but I suppose it's just the vague sense that at some point in the future this may be a much better game than it is now. Certainly when I eventually came to play No Man's Sky, for example, I had a very different experience from early adopters, and from what I understand it has changed dramatically again since I stopped. I doubt that there are such fundamental transformations on the way for this, but there is still a certain degree of FOMO there - not a very strong one, because I'd probably still be playing if I hadn't picked up a cheap copy of Demon Souls, but it's definitely there.

I'm also a bit curious as to what it's going to take to get the game offered for sale on the PS store again.

I'll be interested to see if they do any combat rebalancing in the next patch. In fact I'm interested if they're going to do anything except bug fixing/optimising. I was originally holding back until the patch to continue, but I've decided I can afford a PS5 so I might wait until then and wave goodbye to those PS4 performance issues.

RE: Difficulty levels - I am playing on Very Hard and all it does is make you take a crapton more damage, so not very interesting. Because I have a stealthy hacker build with a power sniper rifle I just amped up the difficulty to make sure I got punished for not using my abilities. On Normal I could pretty much play it like a straight up shooter, ignore all of my kit and easily survive because the weaponry is so OP.  

I'm playing on hard and have deliberately avoided getting some of the ridiculously OP quickhack abilities. It's the classic example of not particularly great balancing, in that it makes your character extremely fragile and jacks up the enemy strength slightly too far, so that they can withstand multiple headshots. But it does mean you have to be fairly careful with combat, even if it's not that challenging when it does kick off - it's more that you can die very quickly if you make a mistake, so that if you start a gunfight in a room full of armed men, you will definitely die. It's sort of the right level of challenge, but it feels like I have to actively work to stop it getting too easy or too hard, which is not ideal.

4 hours ago, RubberJohnny said:

Yes, the game lets you break it over your knee if you go up to the progression trees, become a master hacker and you can chain fry everyone's brain in a compound by poking your head over the wall.

It's up to you if that's refreshing and fun after so many games with +2% upgrades or whatever, or another example of the game being rough.

I've always thought the end game in this should be you being an unstoppable murder death machine who owns the entire world.

That's what upgrading should do, you be god eventually, you spent 100 hours to earn that.

Realised the other thing that annoyed me about the Caldwell-Gervais vid, he's kind of arguing that they should have spent seven years developing a game just for the relatively small audience of people with shit hot GPUs. id and Epic and Crytek could do that 20 years ago but things have changed a bit since then.

Re difficulty: It's pitched at the same level as a Bethesda open world game or an old skool JRPG, really, isn't it? Challenge coming a distant second to tinkering with your character and soaking up the atmosphere.

Sounds like this game offers the audience a lot more freedom and cerebral room to exist than what Edge called the 'videogame industry'. Vin Diesel's original Riddick game tried to do this back in 2004, but got dragged down in Industy peer pressure. Think the ruleset for this reminded me of White Wolf titles; possibly a mix of Vampire & Mage? Anyway, this also tells you something of peer pressuere too, since he's a famous D&D player. Is it like changing football teams or something? And this thus makes me wonder if anyone even completed Tomb Raider, cos I never met anyone, wait... Joseph from my own dev team did? Yeah but he would probably consider building the m25 motorway by himself with a watering can fun. Holy shit though, Joseph's like a human RPG server, he could basically write the next hundred Final Fantasy games in 2 minutes, during the wasted interval of breathing in between spoken design of the next Shadowrun encounter. Mindblowing talent that kid.

On 12/03/2021 at 11:40, K said:

The clothing in this needs to have a huge overhaul. All the NPCs look pretty badass, but I seem to really struggle to find anything that makes my guy look cool. Or at least, not like a complete bellend. Coupled with the fact that you need to have clothes in every slot to build up your armour and the fact that clothes with multiple mod slots are extremely useful, and you end up wearing whatever gives you the most mod options. I walk into the Afterlife with maximum street cred, looking to cut some kind of sketchy deal with Rogue and feeling pretty slick, until I remember that I'm wearing Michael Caine specs, leather trousers, a shellsuit top, and a balaclava.

Agreed. After 200 hours I've seen every piece and none of them comes close to any of the shit the NPCs walk around in. It's not a conformity issue, either, as you can't alter your character's weight or body shape other than jugs and penis.

On 15/03/2021 at 07:06, K said:

I'm playing on hard and have deliberately avoided getting some of the ridiculously OP quickhack abilities. It's the classic example of not particularly great balancing, in that it makes your character extremely fragile and jacks up the enemy strength slightly too far, so that they can withstand multiple headshots. But it does mean you have to be fairly careful with combat, even if it's not that challenging when it does kick off - it's more that you can die very quickly if you make a mistake, so that if you start a gunfight in a room full of armed men, you will definitely die. It's sort of the right level of challenge, but it feels like I have to actively work to stop it getting too easy or too hard, which is not ideal.

I'm with you. I'm on Very Hard for this playthrough and granted, I'm a lot better than I was the first time around but I got a Legendary Overture about four hours in and put a suppressor on it. I upgrade it every time I level up, and it kills people in one shot unless they're a special enemy, in which case it takes a couple. I die quickly if I take damage but the high alpha damage from the revolver means I'm barely exposed when I squeeze off a quick headshot. Makes stealth sections laughably easy. I love it.

I actually really like playing this way, because I'm incredibly fragile and so are my enemies. It feels more realistic. A couple of shots and I'm dead, but so are my foes. Twitching, spouting blood from their headless necks and severed limbs as whiteish fluid oozes from their broken cybernetics. The only thing that was a challenge recently was that tunnel shootout with Panam just because there are some many enemies all around you with automatic weapons, grenades, and a sniper up top, but I threw a flashbang on my third try and leapt up onto a high catwalk and shot them all in the back of the head while I had better cover.

I like to think that Centurion is running some kind of incredibly long-term ARG. In a few years the myriad threads placed carefully around the forum will slowly start to coalesce and we'll begin to comprehend the beautiful, intricate web he's been weaving amongst us all this time.

Or it's just complete gibberish. Not sure.

Where's the patch then?

Well, I’ve had a big turnaround on this. After dipping in and out at the start and not really having a clue what I was doing, I’ve finally managed to give it some time and settled into a nice rhythm of looking at my position on the map and heading to any nearby question marks, interspersed with the occasional main mission.

It’s really good, isn’t it? Night City really is a sight to behold.

There’s still a few things I’m unsure of like smart weapons. I don’t think I’ve come across one yet and I’m sure I’m getting close to the end of the game. What’s that all about?

Also, @Floshenbarnical, how do I upgrade my guns? And add a suppressor? I’ve got a few I’d like to keep, because they’re so much fun to use, but they’re becoming increasingly underpowered as I’m levelling up.

11 minutes ago, JPL said:

Well, I’ve had a big turnaround on this. After dipping in and out at the start and not really having a clue what I was doing, I’ve finally managed to give it some time and settled into a nice rhythm of looking at my position on the map and heading to any nearby question marks, interspersed with the occasional main mission.

It’s really good, isn’t it? Night City really is a sight to behold.

There’s still a few things I’m unsure of like smart weapons. I don’t think I’ve come across one yet and I’m sure I’m getting close to the end of the game. What’s that all about?

Also, @Floshenbarnical, how do I upgrade my guns? And add a suppressor? I’ve got a few I’d like to keep, because they’re so much fun to use, but they’re becoming increasingly underpowered as I’m levelling up.

Upgrades tab in Crafting. You will require components. Crafting is a sham in this - it’s better to sell weapons and amass cash than it is to attempt leveling up crafting as the climb is too slow. Then you can use cash to buy components and upgrade the weapons you like. Each weapon can be upgraded a maximum number of times depending on your level, and can be upgraded again once your level increases. 

Crafting offers a very negligible stat boost to crafted weapons should you require the relevant perk, but they’re wasted Attribute and Perk points imo. 

PS if you reach the lofty Cool level 9 you can get a perk that enables you to grab people if you pistol whip them, meaning you can snap their neck for a quick takedown if they’re close and you’re out of ammo. Worth moving behind cover to snap the neck though as you’ll be exposed during the animation. 

Also if you get maneuvering thrusters and upgrade your legs you can dodge in midair, which combined with the Kerenzikov will enable you to jump over cover and crack off shots in slow motion while you’re fifteen feet in the air

top shelf murder simulator

6 minutes ago, Floshenbarnical said:

Upgrades tab in Crafting. You will require components. Crafting is a sham in this - it’s better to sell weapons and amass cash than it is to attempt leveling up crafting as the climb is too slow. Then you can use cash to buy components and upgrade the weapons you like. Each weapon can be upgraded a maximum number of times depending on your level, and can be upgraded again once your level increases. 

Crafting offers a very negligible stat boost to crafted weapons should you require the relevant perk, but they’re wasted Attribute and Perk points imo. 

PS if you reach the lofty Cool level 9 you can get a perk that enables you to grab people if you pistol whip them, meaning you can snap their neck for a quick takedown if they’re close and you’re out of ammo. Worth moving behind cover to snap the neck though as you’ll be exposed during the animation. 

Also if you get maneuvering thrusters and upgrade your legs you can dodge in midair, which combined with the Kerenzikov will enable you to jump over cover and crack off shots in slow motion while you’re fifteen feet in the air

top shelf murder simulator

That sounds fucking excellent! I’m going to look into all that and have some fun with it.

Christ! I've played through to a few endings and I've only just found out it was possible for me to have 

Spoiler

saved Takemura

earlier.

I presumed it was a scripted event and I couldn't have changed it. Bugger.

3 minutes ago, Festoon said:

Christ! I've played through to a few endings and I've only just found out it was possible for me to have 

Reveal hidden contents

saved Takemura

earlier.

Yeah I like to try to break games so I jumped up presuming there’d be a look behind the curtain like the elevator scene in Truman Show but it turned out it was an option

class

6 minutes ago, Festoon said:

Reveal hidden contents

saved Takemura

earlier.

Chump!

Spoiler

I bet you left Farida to die in Deus Ex: Human Revolution too, right?

In fairness I did that, but I remembered it, which is why I ignored Johnny Twatface in this and went looking for Takemura. :)

16 minutes ago, Thor said:

Chump!

Reveal hidden contents

I bet you left Farida to die in Deus Ex: Human Revolution too, right?

In fairness I did that, but I remembered it, which is why I ignored Johnny Twatface in this and went looking for Takemura. :)

I should've known better than to listen to Bobby Metalarse.

Patch is coming soon, here's the main features. Pretty dissapointed to be honest although I know they lost a month due to the hack. This was touted as their 'big patch' but I was hoping for at least some rebalancing and glamour system. No word on performance/bug fixing yet. I suppose balancing could be on the cards because its not really a feature.  

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2021-03-19-big-cyberpunk-2077-patch-tackles-the-police-driving-and-adds-new-unstuck-feature

11 minutes ago, Alan Stock said:

Patch is coming soon, here's the main features. Pretty dissapointed to be honest although I know they lost a month due to the hack. This was touted as their 'big patch' but I was hoping for at least some rebalancing and glamour system. No word on performance/bug fixing yet. I suppose balancing could be on the cards because its not really a feature.  

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2021-03-19-big-cyberpunk-2077-patch-tackles-the-police-driving-and-adds-new-unstuck-feature

I think I’d rather them focus on balancing issues rather than graphics at the moment, because it looks absolutely stunning on Series X and I’ve had no noticeable glitching, but the balancing is out on a lot of things.

I think I’ll finish it off then come back in 6 months, once it’s had a few patches, to enjoy it all again but better.