Cyberpunk 2077 - Please use spoiler tags

Short Circuit seems OP to the point where it feels like a mistake. It pretty much one-shots any robots or drones I’ve tried it on.

I feel the hacking in this needs to be tweaked a bit, as it’s extremely powerful with no real drawbacks. Things like hacking gun turrets are trivially easy, and you can absolutely lay waste to enemies with them, without much in the way of risk to yourself. Once you have a decent deck, you almost never seem to run out of RAM. There should be more of a risk/reward situation. 

The downside of using Short Circuit on robots is that they explode, which can cost you a bonus if there are meatbags nearby and you're trying to non-lethal a mission.

But yes, hacking gets crazily overpowered if you focus even a bit of cash/perk points on it.

Now that I've finished the game multiple times and seen all the endings, I've turned off the mini-map and most of the HUD. 

I'm just roaming Night City and the surrounding areas, bringing justice to the unjust and taking in some beautiful sights.

You can really get lost in this environment, I spent a good hour walking down by the water in Pacifica.

Yes I binned as much as I could hudwise too, it’s such a spectacular game visually and not having the minimap really sends you all over the place trying to find things - so rewarding in this.

It's just a pain that quite a lot of quests assume you have the tracker up and if you don't then it can be really unclear what to do next, rather undermining the immersion benefits of minimising the HUD.

I wish I could just have the minimap but disable the waypoint marker personally. And a dynamic quest tracker that just pops up for a bit when something changes. 90% of HUD in games is redundant at any given moment, e.g. the reticule when you're not in combat, yet so few have gone for minimal and dynamic HUD by default.

Wow, have now had a mission go so buggy it completely shuts down my PC - happened twice :(

Just as I'd got the bugger where I wanted him too :( 

Edit - what's happened to spoiler tags and why can't I add 'em :( 

1 hour ago, JoeK said:

Wow, have now had a mission go so buggy it completely shuts down my PC - happened twice :(

You can't type tags any more. Click the EYE icon from the toolbar.

Just now, Thor said:

You can't type tags any more. Click the EYE icon from the toolbar.

Thank you :) .

The mission in question was

Spoiler

The one where you have to smash up a rogue Delamaine cab. Soon as I stop it, I’ve now had two complete system shut downs.

Never had anything like that before. Might have to see if a previous save will fix it.

47 minutes ago, JoeK said:

Thank you :) .

The mission in question was

Reveal hidden contents

The one where you have to smash up a rogue Delamaine cab. Soon as I stop it, I’ve now had two complete system shut downs.

Never had anything like that before. Might have to see if a previous save will fix it.

Yeah, that's fucked. Sounds to me like this patch has done more bad than good.

BTW, Joe, my topic in OT isn't aimed specifically at you, you're just another in a long line of people who have been completely bamboozled by the removal of the tag functionality. :)

2 hours ago, JoeK said:

whoa

they've hacked your pc. this is some kojima level shit. 

giphy.gif

I'm still loving this game.  I'll acknowledge its not the masterpiece I was promised - but its still solid fun.  I haven't found the bugs on PC to be too bad either -  no crashes at all in 80hours of play.

But what does grind my gears are the immersion breaking world design decisions that litter the game.  

My current biggest bugbear is the fact that I routinely come across all these expensive looking laptops and fancy tech lying about in rooms - but the game wont let me steal them.  And yet I get mini-map icons for "loot" that then end up being an old T Shirt, or a pair of tongs, worth $1.  Surely the scrap value of that autonomous sentry turret I just remotely disabled without any physical damage makes it more worth having than this ashtray?

Or the fact I can carry approximately 50 assault rifles in a backpack.

Or that the streets are littered with poor people, homeless bums, who then have multi thousand dollar replacement limbs.  How did they afford that?  And if they do have cybernetic enhancements, why aren't they doing gigs like me and being awesome?

I also chuckle at the announcer on the loading screen saying "Hey Night City, 30 more deaths today..." and me looking around sheepishly because in the last hour Ive just offed about 100 dudes...

52 minutes ago, Oz said:

whoa

they've hacked your pc. this is some kojima level shit. 

giphy.gif

Well, it's definitely done something. Another random shut down just a minute ago, and I'm really not too keen to carry on if this happens too much more. Mainly because I'm not entirely sure it's good for the PC!

Keep on wondering if something in the box is getting overloaded, but fairly sure the beast can cope with anything really.

Oh well.

A recent bug I’ve had is if you stop to take a photo from first person perspective, if you look straight down V’s body detaches itself from her head and moves slowly into the shot, while everything else remains frozen.

She will carry on walking until she is a headless spec in the distance if there is nothing to stop her.

12 minutes ago, ZOK said:

A recent bug I’ve had is if you stop to take a photo from first person perspective, if you look straight down V’s body detaches itself from her head and moves slowly into the shot, while everything else remains frozen.

She will carry on walking until she is a headless spec in the distance if there is nothing to stop her.

Aye, I've had that. 

50 minutes ago, Valver said:

But what does grind my gears are the immersion breaking world design decisions that litter the game.  

My current biggest bugbear is the fact that I routinely come across all these expensive looking laptops and fancy tech lying about in rooms - but the game wont let me steal them.  And yet I get mini-map icons for "loot" that then end up being an old T Shirt, or a pair of tongs, worth $1.  Surely the scrap value of that autonomous sentry turret I just remotely disabled without any physical damage makes it more worth having than this ashtray?

Yeah, there are some weirdly lazy, half-hearted bits of design or implementation in there, particularly in contrast to how much attention they've lavished on so many other aspects. The junk loot is indeed a good example. There seems to be no more than about 10 different junk items in the world in total, and they're all worth either €$1 or exactly €$750. They're not even consistent: a silver chain is €$750 while a gold chain is €$1. All just further symptoms of it being desperately shoved out the door at release date, I suppose.

The whole car purchase system is deeply weird as well. I can steal them to my heart's content, but if I want them to actually go into my magic garage then I have to purchase them at exorbitant prices from the spammy fixers, all of whom seem strangely proud of the absolutely terrible cars they're purveying.

I don't really care about any of this that much because I'm too busy rampaging around skewering fools with my mantis blades, but it's all so odd.

Yeah the loot balance and inventory mechanics seriously need some work. I don't know about PC, but on console just selling all your shit is a nightmare, I spent minutes yesterday just selling a full inventory of shit guns and drinks I'd picked up, because you have to click on each item to sell it, and stacks require going through a confirmation screen. You could argue not to loot everything, but that wouldn't be optimal as you can make a fair bit of cash selling guns and clothing.

Other loot/inventory issues include:

- white icons for both junk and ammo so even if you wanted to skip collecting junk, you still want to look out for white icons to get more ammo

- having to be way too precise with aim on console to loot objects

- having to move bodies to pick up loot on bodies underneath, even if you clearly have access

- a bug of some lootable objects simply not able to be picked up

- med inhalers everywhere, I have over 120 of the basic ones just from standard looting

- food and drink having such little benefit as to be useless, and not able to flag as junk

I've been playing Divinity Original Sin 2 on Switch and I don't understand why more PC to console ports don't copy the kind of functionality it has for its inventory:

- you can click the joystick to enable multi-select in the inventory, where you can then click on individual items to select multiples, or drag the selection box over multiple items at once. Then you just press another button to bring up a menu with options such as 'move here', 'sell all', etc

- there is a Wares system, which is poorly explained but great in practice. When you hover over an item in the world you can Pick up and Add to Wares instead of just picking up, or in your inventory you can add any item to Wares. Wares are held in a seperate tab in your inventory so they don't clutter up your day to day inventory management. When you reach a trader, there's a Barter tab where you can add all your wares at once to the trading screen in exchange for cash or goods, with the ability to add and remove specific items. So basically any shit you find you just immediately dump in Wares and then just offload it all at once in a few button presses when you get to a trader. Its brilliant and all RPGs should use a system like this. 

- It would be weird in first person but there's a great looting mechanic where you hold a button and a HUD circle goes out from your character in maybe 6 meters radius. A list appears with all the loot highlighted in that circle. You can then just go down the list and click anything you want to grab or open, your character moves there automatically. For an FPS game you could just have the good old magnet hands or whatever to get the same effect without having to move there. Great for if you hate clicking on every little thing to loot.

For games that have such a big emphasis on loot it amazes me that so many titles still have such archaic inventory and looting systems.

1 hour ago, ZOK said:

sounds like a feature to me. 

9 minutes ago, Alan Stock said:

Yeah the loot balance and inventory mechanics seriously need some work. I don't know about PC, but on console just selling all your shit is a nightmare, I spent minutes yesterday just selling a full inventory of shit guns and drinks I'd picked up, because you have to click on each item to sell it, and stacks require going through a confirmation screen. You could argue not to loot everything, but that wouldn't be optimal as you can make a fair bit of cash selling guns and clothing.

Other loot/inventory issues include:

- white icons for both junk and ammo so even if you wanted to skip collecting junk, you still want to look out for white icons to get more ammo

- having to be way too precise with aim on console to loot objects

- having to move bodies to pick up loot on bodies underneath, even if you clearly have access

- a bug of some lootable objects simply not able to be picked up

- med inhalers everywhere, I have over 120 of the basic ones just from standard looting

- food and drink having such little benefit as to be useless, and not able to flag as junk

I've been playing Divinity Original Sin 2 on Switch and I don't understand why more PC to console ports don't copy the kind of functionality it has for its inventory:

- you can click the joystick to enable multi-select in the inventory, where you can then click on individual items to select multiples, or drag the selection box over multiple items at once. Then you just press another button to bring up a menu with options such as 'move here', 'sell all', etc

- there is a Wares system, which is poorly explained but great in practice. When you hover over an item in the world you can Pick up and Add to Wares instead of just picking up, or in your inventory you can add any item to Wares. Wares are held in a seperate tab in your inventory so they don't clutter up your day to day inventory management. When you reach a trader, there's a Barter tab where you can add all your wares at once to the trading screen in exchange for cash or goods, with the ability to add and remove specific items. So basically any shit you find you just immediately dump in Wares and then just offload it all at once in a few button presses when you get to a trader. Its brilliant and all RPGs should use a system like this. 

- It would be weird in first person but there's a great looting mechanic where you hold a button and a HUD circle goes out from your character in maybe 6 meters radius. A list appears with all the loot highlighted in that circle. You can then just go down the list and click anything you want to grab or open, your character moves there automatically. For an FPS game you could just have the good old magnet hands or whatever to get the same effect without having to move there. Great for if you hate clicking on every little thing to loot.

For games that have such a big emphasis on loot it amazes me that so many titles still have such archaic inventory and looting systems.

Yeah all of this is dot on, especially the need for precise aiming to pick stuff up. But I’m so used to it now it doesn’t bother me.

I just disassemble all looted weps after each encounter now, very quick to do, and if you filter them right you mostly just keep pressing Y.

It frequently feels the game is the digital equivalent of Frankenstein’s monster most of the time. The rpg systems in place are incredibly fucking awful pretty much all of the time and the lack of better explanation about things upsets me enormously. 

I find the way they introduce missions and gigs pretty terrible, and I keep on getting calls to do jobs which I’m so underpowered for it’s laughable. The game does everything in its power to speak pf the urgency of your situation, but then opens up this vast city to let you do what you want and it genuinely upsets my ocd and ability to roleplay how I want to do the fucking thing...I will admit that I’m a strange one when it comes to these things though ;)

In nearly every area where gameplay is involved it feels like CDPR have regressed since Witcher 3, which is thoroughly disappointing.

And yet...and yet...the game is incredibly enjoyable and to just drive around Night City is absolutely breathtaking. It is one of the very great backgrounds in gaming. To see the animation going on with story characters is equally astounding, and there’s no way I haven’t already had my money’s worth out of the game. 

I also find hacking someone to death with katana’s very therapeutic.

My wishlist for the game would be thousands of words long. Like, the armour system is daft, and encourages you to always wear a hat and glasses because you can put an armour mod in that blue leather flat cap or those gold-rimmed aviators, which means they now offer more protection from bullets than the kevlar helmet you just picked up. They should just do away with armour, and let you wear whatever you like. There's loads of weird immersion-breaking stuff like that, i.e. being able to slot a mod into a machine gun that magically makes it non-lethal.

Although that said, it does make me laugh when I look in my inventory and see that I have a length of steel pipe that's classed as 'non-lethal', as if you could just go buck-wild with it on someone with no fear of causing death.

Got a call which says its urgent, but is it really?

Spoiler

Its from Judy, I have done the quest chain with her where you rescue blue hair girl but haven't done anything since. She said something like can I come asap to meet her. Can I just wait forever or are some quests actually timed? There's other side stuff I want to be doing at the mo. Ta. 

40 minutes ago, Alan Stock said:

Got a call which says its urgent, but is it really?

Hide contents

Its from Judy, I have done the quest chain with her where you rescue blue hair girl but haven't done anything since. She said something like can I come asap to meet her. Can I just wait forever or are some quests actually timed? There's other side stuff I want to be doing at the mo. Ta. 

Spoiler

You can, but thematically it would make you a very bad person for making Judy wait. Don't worry, it doesn't move the plot on a huge amount.

51 minutes ago, K said:

They should just do away with armour, and let you wear whatever you like. There's loads of weird immersion-breaking stuff like that, i.e. being able to slot a mod into a machine gun that magically makes it non-lethal.

To be fair, once you’ve played for a bit and toughened up the health bar armour does become effectively irrelevant, and you can wear what you want.

Don’t need armour if you’re too fast with the blade to get hit!

7 minutes ago, Alan Stock said:

Cool, thanks Thor. Are there any new mission calls that you do have to answer in a time limit (without spoiling which ones they are)? Y'all know the phone's always ringing off the hook in this game!

The only one I know of is a text telling you, and I'm being as vague as possible here, "we're doing this, thought you might want to join us"

You have a small window to respond, maybe 24hrs max. I think there may be more, but I'm not sure.