Cyberpunk 2077 - Please use spoiler tags

8 minutes ago, ZOK said:

I’m on Stadia, so I don’t really know what version I’m playing. Is it it’s own version?

Never had a crash, out of interest.

If you press the select button to bring up the save/load menu, you can see the version number in the bottom right. It's currently 1.06; I think Stadia normally gets patches a few days after the console / PC versions, as the Stadia version of the game was ported by a third party.

Never had a crash either.

8 minutes ago, Thor said:

We'll have to agree to disagree on that one. :)

Well, not really - I was more questioning if we're even comparing the same thing, because I'm not convinced (from what people have said) that the implementations on PC vs console are the same at all.

There are plenty of games on PlayStation that I've played that have been praised for their HDR visuals and Cyberpunk seems on a par.

2 hours ago, hmm said:

Well, not really - I was more questioning if we're even comparing the same thing, because I'm not convinced (from what people have said) that the implementations on PC vs console are the same at all.

There are plenty of games on PlayStation that I've played that have been praised for their HDR visuals and Cyberpunk seems on a par.

Wait, are you disagreeing that we'll have to agree to disagree? Because I too would then have to disagree. We'd then have to agree to disagree about us agreeing to disagree. ;)

Seriously though...

Followed by...

It's fake HDR on all formats. It's unequivocally not a good example of HDR.

I meant in the sense that it wasn't clear that we were really talking about the same thing - you don't 'agree to disagree' generally if one of you is talking about apples while the other is talking about oranges!

Given that much/most of the HDR process occurs during rendering, rather than being authored in the assets necessarily, different platforms wouldn't necessarily have the same problems. And I was under the impression that the HDR story on PC was generally awful too? That said, I really haven't kept in touch with the state of PC gaming at all.

Anyway, even glancing at those videos, I'm not really convinced by the arguments. It may not be perfect, certainly when analysed forensically, but after adjusting the settings on PS5 it's pretty damn good. The first video description even basically says this - if you adjust both the max brightness and the midpoint, but not to excess, then you can get a result where there are only relatively minor errors remaining.

And as I say, most importantly, none of these things are (post-adjustment) visible in the game, so I'd be a little bit tempted to chalk it up to overanalysis, in the same sense that half of what Digital Foundry points out isn't a problem in practice, however interesting it may be on a technical level. I could entirely believe that the art style is helping to mask some of the deficiencies though.

And again, I'm only commenting on the PS5 experience here.

@hmm Great post! I don't believe we're comparing apples and oranges. You're correct in that HDR on PC is a bit shit, but the calibration options are the same on both PC and consoles, to my knowledge it works the same way. The fact remains the HDR implementation isn't 'optimal' on any format. I've used the word optimal, but to me it's genuinely shit. To my eyes the game looks so much better in SDR than HDR, and I am a huge fan of HDR ... when it's done right.

One thing, though...

19 minutes ago, hmm said:

Given that much/most of the HDR process occurs during rendering, rather than being authored in the assets necessarily...

Is that true? I'm not a game dev, but I thought assets would need to be developed with HDR in mind...

For the very best outcome, sure. But even then, only some of the assets. At a very simplistic level, it's mostly about being able to retain the full range of lighting information throughout the rendering pipeline. Of course, there are many challenges involved in producing a good result in both SDR and HDR, when you have such potentially different outputs in a scene.

(I was a game developer, but only up to the more preliminary years of HDR dev.)

Oh, who cares. Nerds.

I haven't accepted the Point of No Return mission yet, but the campaign feels woefully short. Is it just me? I'm going to polish this off soon and then leave it until I finally get a PS5 from somewhere. I have Ghost of Sushi's Mum up next, amidst some Warhammer painting I'm getting stuck into.

16 minutes ago, Floshenbarnical said:

. Is it just me?

Yes. I was more than 60 hours in before I reached that. Are you ignoring side missions and gigs and just doing main missions?

17 minutes ago, Floshenbarnical said:

Oh, who cares. Nerds.

I haven't accepted the Point of No Return mission yet, but the campaign feels woefully short. Is it just me? I'm going to polish this off soon and then leave it until I finally get a PS5 from somewhere. I have Ghost of Sushi's Mum up next, amidst some Warhammer painting I'm getting stuck into.

Yeah, I think the seeming shortness of the main story prompted me to start over with a mind on doing a lot more side quests really.

That said, during Act 1 at least, I'm not finding much in the way of decent side quest action :( . All I seem to be doing is stuff for Regina - and not many of 'em have much in the way of a tale to tell.

I assume that some of the more story-based sides come along a little later in the game, as the random ' ? ' ones have actually been pretty dull.

17 minutes ago, Floshenbarnical said:

Oh, who cares. Nerds.

The main campaign is very short if you mainline it. But overall there's enough meat in the rest of the game to make it all worthwhile. Plus, the more you do, the more options you have when it comes the to the end point.

10 minutes ago, smac said:

Yes. I was more than 60 hours in before I reached that. Are you ignoring side missions and gigs and just doing main missions?

No, I've rinsed it for 100 hours and am Level 50 and have Level 50 Streetcred and no Icons left on the map other than two bugged ones.

@ZOK HDR is under Settings -> Visual. Should be at the bottom and state "None" if you have turned HDR off in Stadia.

Edit: Also, your drowned man quest is just a little Witcher 3 Easter egg...

Spoiler

Close to where where you find the body you can see an overpass curving around, with supporting columns holding it up above the water. There's a "smuggler's cache" by those columns. If you haven't played Witcher 3, you wouldn't get the reference.

7 hours ago, hmm said:

Not sure that all of this HDR criticism applies to the console versions? It looks pretty damn good to me on PS5 after fixing the default settings and I wouldn't say that anything appears washed out. It's a rather good demonstration of HDR in general, with all that neon all over the shop and plenty of contrast against the gloomier areas.

There effectively is no HDR in this game. They just stuck sdr into an hdr container. 

It's not the worst I've ever seen, though, some games seem to produce a much lower dynamic range in supposed hdr, it's bizarre 

1 hour ago, Thor said:

@ZOK HDR is under Settings -> Visual. Should be at the bottom and state "None" if you have turned HDR off in Stadia.

Edit: Also, your drowned man quest is just a little Witcher 3 Easter egg...

Hide contents

Close to where where you find the body you can see an overpass curving around, with supporting columns holding it up above the water. There's a "smuggler's cache" by those columns. If you haven't played Witcher 3, you wouldn't get the reference.

Okay cool, I’ll check.

Re drowned man, I swam around pretty much every support but never found the cache...

Yeah, I have it downloading on PlayStation currently.

Naturally, it was thanks to yet another crash that that I was out of the game to even notice the patch's arrival! Hopefully it will be a bit more robust once this installs because it's been a real pain.

Loving the Delamain subplot so far.

If anyone is playing on PS4 Pro I’d appreciate your thoughts on improvements in 1.1. I’ve been wanting to dip in but have been waiting until it’s either patched to be reasonably stable or I can find a PS5. I would also have assumed Sony would have allowed it back on PSN with this patch but it doesn’t seem to be there yet.  

I’m on PS5. I noticed more NPC’s than usual outside my apartment building but that was about it.

The annoying thing where car taillights turn off when you get close and street lamp lighting pops in when you get close are still there. As is a fair old lot of texture pop in and occasional loading stutter.