Cyberpunk 2077 - Please use spoiler tags

10 hours ago, Isaac said:

They are that big on a PC on the highest settings - although I actually turned them down a bit because I found it so busy as to be distracting.

They haven't really coded the correct levels of how busy it should be into different areas, so on PC on max crowd setting you'd be in what should be quiet industrial estates on the outskirts of town and the pavements would be heaving.

I don't know if there are any differences on PS5 vs base consoles or Stadia - presumably no more so than on PS4 Pro - but I had been thinking that I wouldn't want it to be hugely more populated than it is in most areas. There were already some bits that felt relatively bustling - some market or other, Lizzie's club - and so far I haven't really felt that anywhere is too barren apart from where, presumably, it's supposed to be.

A bit more variety in the random NPC dialogue and/or interaction wouldn't go amiss - most are ultimately some variety of 'go away' - but the scope of this was already insurmountable so that's probably a bit unrealistic. And of course this is very much compensated for by the rich branching dialogue with the proper characters.

That demo looks way smoother and cleaner than my PC version running on 3080 i7 10700k, hdr output to LG CX, I'm worried I've got my setup wrong, theres a lot of pop in and shimmering of the image on my game, do any other pc users experience that? Should I take this to the PC thread?

13 minutes ago, Minion said:

That demo looks way smoother and cleaner than my PC version running on 3080 i7 10700k, hdr output to LG CX, I'm worried I've got my setup wrong, theres a lot of pop in and shimmering of the image on my game, do any other pc users experience that? Should I take this to the PC thread?

First, turn HDR off - It's fake HDR, the implementation is complete nonsense. Pop-in is there on mine but I wouldn't say it was excessive/intrusive or distracting, I'm on a 2080ti and i9 9900k, but I'm running at 1440p with DLSS set to balanced, and I sit approx 8ft away from the TV. 

2 minutes ago, Thor said:

First, turn HDR off - It's fake HDR, the implementation is complete nonsense. Pop-in is there on mine but I wouldn't say it was excessive/intrusive or distracting, I'm on a 2080ti and i9 9900k, but I'm running at 1440p with DLSS set to balanced, and I sit approx 8ft away from the TV. 

I am also playing 1440p, DLSS balanced, set to run at 60fps with vsync set in game at 59 so its smooth it's just the image is kinda unstable sometimes if that makes sense. Ok so turn HDR off? oh god that means turning it off in windows especially for this game and messing with settings lol, I thought it looked pretty good with the HDR,, I was playing it on PS5 with HDR and the blacks were so crushed it was insane, like in the desert I couldn't see Panams face if she was in shadow, whereas on my pc I can see her face, the detail is not lost. I guess I need to experiment again more, thanks for the advice I appreciate it.

The main story in the game is fantastic, it has to be said. I've been really enjoying it so far. I've effectively given up the notion of properly understanding all the upgrades and weapons at the moment, as in truth I've found most of the combat pretty dull. The tale it tells and and the way it's doing it is incredibly enjoyable though.

What does kind of puzzle me to an extent is the pacing of pretty much everything in the game. I guess there's lots of open-world games that kind of suffer from this but the sheer amount of side activities in the game seems in direct contradiction to the urgency you seem to have with the main quest, which kind of bugs me...as sad as it is, if I'm attempting to role-play I kind of like to work out how to 'time' these things and work them into the journey in as smooth a way as possible.

And there doesn't seem to be many 'natural' pauses in the action to allow this in a natural and pleasing way to the overall tale. 

I'd have absolutely loved it if instead of the cut-scene you get right after you've done the initial background choice intro, that this time is spend actually making some sort of name for yourself in the city, and then you get the calls for the major plot to start up. But you don't - you kind of get almost everything slapped on the plate in front of you immediately, and it's a little bit mind-blowing. 

But the game has grown on me a huge amount. The more I play, the more I'm liking it. It does give me hope that if the updates keep on going, I'll be playing it a number of times before I move onto the next big thing!

Yeah I think about that sometimes, but then I think ‘would I prefer this if it were like Dead Rising?’ and it’s a hard no, because I’d be gutted if anything were closed off to me because of time missed.

You just have to see it as V operating in untime whenever she has an urgent mission appointment to keep but then goes off for three days scavenging lighters and stress balls from the bodies of dead goons.

That's one of the reasons I took a long break and just started doing everything on the map. The plot is urgent and quick with all sorts of shady meetings and machinations and it doesn't make sense to take a break from it every now and again to go work for Dino for a few days. Besides, I want to reach a million eddies and I'm 3/4 of the way there. Not sure there's enough side content left to make up the last quarter mil but I'll do my best. Then I'm going to respec my character and take all of my perks out of some of the dumb shit I put it into. Throwing knives? :lol:

On the subject of the main story arcs, I’m at the bit with Goro where 

Spoiler

I’ve done the Japan festival, the sister got rescued and now I’m supposed to meet her at Embers. From the text it sounds like this meeting is close to the end of that strand,

is that correct? I don’t want to finish that story just yet, but she’s been waiting there a week!

Also,  once you feel you've done everything you possibly can, I would advise you to skip time in the menu 24 hours - that may result in phone calls from people with more quests. 

edit: And keep skipping until no more calls come through. 

18 minutes ago, Thor said:

Also,  once you feel you've done everything you possibly can, I would advise you to skip time in the menu 24 hours - that may result in phone calls from people with more quests. 

edit: And keep skipping until no more calls come through. 

+1 this is great advice

I think both things are true. The video shows something which in unacceptable with regards to marketing. Equally the issue was not really marketing. I had never seen any of those YouTubers or the press conferences and I was still initially disappointed. I think the things on the video will be jarring to anyone who has played open world games recently. They are just subpar in relation to current game standards. Also, if you had played Witcher you were probably expecting something above current standards (as I was). However, K is also correct that the game is actually fucking brilliant. The more I play it the more I like it. I am now 70 hours in. I just want to play it non stop. I just drive around a lot at this point basically sightseeing. 

@Thor I worry I am near the end friend. I think based on what you said I might be about to reach that point of no return. I was hoping there would be another half of it. 

This is terrible news. I am just going to rinse  all possible side jobs before moving forward I think. I hope this does not eventually lead to me getting the worse possible ending and a repeat of the cirilla situation.

I watched the first 5 minutes of that video and it speaks to the problem the coverage has caused in terms of people’s perceptions, and the reality of how the game actually is.

I’ve played maybe 95 hours now, and while I have seen SOME of the bugs they show, those I’ve seen account for possibly 0.01% of gameplay, if that. Like NPCs doing the T thing, I’ve seen it twice. In nearly a hundred hours. I’ve never seen a person glitched on a vehicle, I’ve never seen queues of multiplied identical vehicles, etc etc.

And when you do see bugs, they are actually cool - like I had this the other day, when V’s bike got stuck in midair over the megadump:

7A4EC2E9-92EF-4889-9225-49BA6D683281.thumb.jpeg.da278cfe4aac7fb5cb88456bf1a82f49.jpeg

5CC9A111-D6CD-4CD5-B786-ADA0F58C8078.thumb.jpeg.6c17cf94ee8274ea55c583b4d8a6c12b.jpeg

Obviously what I did rather than making a YouTube video about it was fiddle around with the photo editor having a ball, before jumping off the bike, walking to the highway and taking potshots at the still suspended bike with a sniper rifle - because the bugs when they happen are actually funny as fuck. :wub:

Weren't the Voodoo Boys white kids in the original game?

I love adaptations that take super-pulpy, lightweight source material and flesh them out to the point of absurdity. The nearest equivalent I can think of is Mars Attacks!.

I don't mind crowbcat's stuff, it's pandering to the audience's worst, bitchiest impulses but he's at least forensic about it. His Game Award recaps are incredible. But yeah, I don't need 40+ minutes of footage captured by streamers running the game on their badly configured PCs and intentionally trying to break the game for LOLs.

In 100+ hours I've never seen that 'prefab missing' object. The boring explanation for a huge amount of the FUNDAMENTAL FLAWSSS that make good video bait is that loads of the game's systems are tracked to the player/camera location and can desynchronise if the CPU gets choked enough. Hence AVs flying too low, cars crashing into pillars, NPCs spawning in the air etc. Playing the game normally this stuff rarely happens. Even on console.

The most infuriating bug I've encountered was a mission that wouldn't spawn the objective (hacking a truck) if you cleared an optional goal (fighting off an ambush) first, because I had to replay about an hour of OCD looting that I did before I realised.

I'm really looking forward to Tim Rogers' forthcoming video review.

2 hours ago, K said:

The counter-argument to the above video is that Cyberpunk is fucking brilliant. I haven't watched the video - life is too short to watch 41 minutes of some weeping nerd having a grief-induced thrombosis because a computer game wasn't as good as he thought it was going to be - but I'm still correct.

There is no weeping nerd just a few dickheads such as Jeff Keighly, who is a pro wanker, I think, and some girl who used to work at IGN who tends to just make videos about herself. 

The video is spot on IMO, the game may well play fine on PC but it was deliberately mis-sold on PS4 & XBOX, and so all those so called journalists are part of the problem, essentially being paid to market a game that didn’t exist. 

15 hours ago, MK-1601 said:

Weren't the Voodoo Boys white kids in the original game?

I love adaptations that take super-pulpy, lightweight source material and flesh them out to the point of absurdity. The nearest equivalent I can think of is Mars Attacks!.

I had completely forgotten this (or never realised it in the first place, I seem to recall any involvement of the Voodoo Boys when I actually played the RPG involved some deeply regrettable attempts at "Jamaican" accents by twelve year-old white kids from the North West of England), but yes - reading it, the Voodoo Boys are stated to be mostly white, and mostly students too. That's an interesting wrinkle; similarly, in a classic example of unconscious bias, I only recently discovered that Mike Pondsmith was black . 

I'd assumed the Voodoo Boys were meant to be like the Jamaican gangsters in Predator 2, but given the more comical, parodic nature of the original RPG Night City gangs it looks like they were a satire of white boys appropriating black culture.

55 minutes ago, ZOK said:

I watched the first 5 minutes of that video and it speaks to the problem the coverage has caused in terms of people’s perceptions, and the reality of how the game actually is.

I’ve played maybe 95 hours now, and while I have seen SOME of the bugs they show, those I’ve seen account for possibly 0.01% of gameplay, if that. Like NPCs doing the T thing, I’ve seen it twice. In nearly a hundred hours. I’ve never seen a person glitched on a vehicle, I’ve never seen queues of multiplied identical vehicles, etc etc.

And when you do see bugs, they are actually cool - like I had this the other day, when V’s bike got stuck in midair over the megadump:

7A4EC2E9-92EF-4889-9225-49BA6D683281.thumb.jpeg.da278cfe4aac7fb5cb88456bf1a82f49.jpeg

5CC9A111-D6CD-4CD5-B786-ADA0F58C8078.thumb.jpeg.6c17cf94ee8274ea55c583b4d8a6c12b.jpeg

Obviously what I did rather than making a YouTube video about it was fiddle around with the photo editor having a ball, before jumping off the bike, walking to the highway and taking potshots at the still suspended bike with a sniper rifle - because the bugs when they happen are actually funny as fuck. :wub:

I had exactly the same thing - bounced into the air over the rubbish, then wondered what had happened to gravity as I s-l-o-o-o-w-l-y sank towards the ground....

The bin bags in this are next-level. Absolutely the bin-baggiest bin-bags I’ve seen in a game. They’re like the modern equivalent of the grass in Halo. 

22 minutes ago, ZOK said:

No, I was fixed in the air

Ah, I definitely sank to the ground. But there was no way that bike was leaving with me.

Not  that I could run away - couldn't run or jump, and I swear there was a weird squelching sound as I walked...

Talking of bin bags, a weird thing that really hit home how messed up Night City is, is how horrible the main park and waterfront areas (not Pacifica, there's a scuzzy area near the marina people are using for sunbathing etc.) are!

Also it will never stop being funny having an NPC doing something innocuous like busking or tai chi suddenly snap "PISS OFF SLACKER! Another fucking weasel!" when you get too close.