Cyberpunk 2077 - Please use spoiler tags

1 hour ago, Talk Show Host said:

Sure, yes. Except the game isn’t broken, it’s not the worst thing a publisher has put out there, its working conditions- which is sadly an industry staple- do not cause a crisis of conscience (not more than other games), it doesn’t have toxic masculinity and it’s not the ultimate example of what’s wrong with the industry, especially when gamers have behaved much worse in other situations or when it actually tries to be ambitious compared to other AAA titles or while it’s offering storytelling, writing and characters which most people find amazing.

So, yes, a lot of extreme shit has been written in this thread, we agree on that. 

I’ve played a significant portion of it.

You, by your own admission, haven’t, and it shows every time you post denying stuff that is blatant (underlined - I mean the two main console publishers have changed their refund policies especially, and that’s not just due to the publishers statements), or claiming stuff that just isn’t true (emboldened - it is a fun enough romp, but it’s cyberpunk 101 and doesn’t pretend otherwise),

1 hour ago, Alan Stock said:

@Thor Will be interested to hear your thoughts later on on how different the second playthrough is for you, and if its still as fun. What kind of playstyle are you going for this time compared to last time? Are you planning to play a different V personality-wise?

Before I answer any questions, have you finished the game yourself? 

2 minutes ago, Pockets said:

Yeah, you’ve missed my point. I don’t mean compete financially, I mean for audience within a genre. Aside from PUBG which influenced a lot of AAA spin offs, those games are all their own quirky thing which is why they’re successful. 

No one is making an indie game like Cyberpunk or FIFA because you just can’t without a huge budget so they cannot be pushed. 

My point is, you can make Blair Witch Project and compete with blockbusters and their audience. You can’t really make a blockbuster game unless you’re already huge and if you are, where your motivation to innovate? (You can of course make an indie which becomes a blockbuster, but that’s not what I mean). 

Of the games above, they’re hugely successful but they created their own audience and didn’t threaten established AAA devs in the same fields. 

There’s a lot of pretend misunderstanding on this forum and I don’t really get what it’s for. Someone will say something where it’s clear what they’re getting at and someone else will come along making out they’re being ridiculous because they’ve taken a sliver of ambiguity and made out that’s all it is. 

I'm not being disingenous, and I still don't understand what you're trying to say, here. Surely these 'compete' with AAA games in exactly the same way as smaller movies 'compete' with blockbusters; which is to say, they largely service different audiences? Like, Blair Witch is pretty much on a par with something like Undertale here; a super-low-budget production operating in a low-budget genre (horror/retro-RPG), which adds its own twist (found-footage/self-aware metanarrative), and becomes an unexpected breakaway hit.

Unless I've been dramatically misreading the movie industry, it's still a largely conservative industry when it comes to the top-end, with movies like Blair Witch treated as aberrations in exactly the same way as Minecraft/PUBG etc. were, and cannibalised for inspiration rather than seen as 'wake-up calls' to the blockbuster segment of the industry. Where the blockbuster/AAA sides of both push things it tends to be on a showy/technological level - showing off the newest special effects, using the newest tech.

I just don't see how the film industry is a contrast to the games industry in this. Innovation generally happens at the lower price brackets, and only occasionally trickles... up(?) to the top-budget genres when studios detect an opportunity to make money. Surely if anything they're stablemates in all of this!

People aren’t as discriminatory with film. Generally, people don’t care how much is spent on a film if it’s any good. How it ‘looks’ doesn’t matter to most people. They might see that a film with a huge budget looks nicer in some way but they wouldn’t pay more to watch it. 

You can make a Blair Witch and if it’s decent you’ll get the crowds that Scream got. They won’t care it was cheap as to them it’s a film. 

Now if you take FIFA as an example, sure an indie can make an arcade football game, there are plenty of them. You can’t make something that might topple or threaten FIFA though. Even Konami don’t really with PES. FIFA continues to sell millions so why would they bother to improve anything when they can drip feed changes to the people buying? 

In films, or pop music, a new idea or sound can drag the mainstream to it because it’s an equal playing field, to an extent. In games, you have to reinvent the medium to get attention and by that nature, you’re not competing with the existing behemoths. They might crawl over to steal some of your new genre cash, but you’re never going to steal theirs away, only create your own. 

Anyway, regardless of whether my comparisons work or not, the point is there is no motivation for big studios to pour loads of money into improving AI and the standards and ideas in games when they’re selling millions as they are. People need to get bored first. 

56 minutes ago, footle said:

I’ve played a significant portion of it.

You, by your own admission, haven’t, and it shows every time you post denying stuff that is blatant (underlined - I mean the two main console publishers have changed their refund policies especially, and that’s not just due to the publishers statements), or claiming stuff that just isn’t true (emboldened - it is a fun enough romp, but it’s cyberpunk 101 and doesn’t pretend otherwise),

This has nothing to do with what we were discussing. What we were discussing and what my post was about is that articles like the one posted on the previous page are ignorant because they present an extreme view on the game's state, what it "means" or what it "represents", not unlike the extreme views which defend its faults.

19 minutes ago, Thor said:

Before I answer any questions, have you finished the game yourself? 

No, I'm only part way into Act 2. Just interested really  in what your general playstyle/V personality was like in the first run and how you're planning to change it this time around. I'm sure plenty of people further on in the game or those rereading the thread later will be interested to hear about how story/ending changes in your second playthrough though!

49 minutes ago, Pockets said:

People aren’t as discriminatory with film. Generally, people don’t care how much is spent on a film if it’s any good. How it ‘looks’ doesn’t matter to most people. They might see that a film with a huge budget looks nicer in some way but they wouldn’t pay more to watch it. 

You can make a Blair Witch and if it’s decent you’ll get the crowds that Scream got. They won’t care it was cheap as to them it’s a film. 

Now if you take FIFA as an example, sure an indie can make an arcade football game, there are plenty of them. You can’t make something that might topple or threaten FIFA though. Even Konami don’t really with PES. FIFA continues to sell millions so why would they bother to improve anything when they can drip feed changes to the people buying? 

In films, or pop music, a new idea or sound can drag the mainstream to it because it’s an equal playing field, to an extent. In games, you have to reinvent the medium to get attention and by that nature, you’re not competing with the existing behemoths. They might crawl over to steal some of your new genre cash, but you’re never going to steal theirs away, only create your own. 

Anyway, regardless of whether my comparisons work or not, the point is there is no motivation for big studios to pour loads of money into improving AI and the standards and ideas in games when they’re selling millions as they are. People need to get bored first. 

Pop music is manufactured. Good luck getting out there if a lot of people don’t want to invest: you’re not getting an Among Us there.

There are certain genres of videogame that are content and/or licensing, rather than systems, heavy - those have a huge barrier to entry. But the same applies to film.

So as a counter example to your FIFA analogy: good luck making a Pixar level animation or MCU competitor on the equivalent of ten bucks. It’s just not going to happen, and people with a lot of money have been so-so successful with the former, and failed abysmally at the latter.

Indeed, there’s probably more rags to stupendously commercially successful examples in videogames: to wipers examples on the previous page you could add No Mans Sky, Roblox, (star citizen...) etc.

My game has started playing this loud fucking noise above me no matter where I am. It sounds like a fleet of jet planes and helicopters hovering overhead and it is so annoying. Tried a full reboot of the game but it hasn't gone away. 

Had one amusing bug doing a mission out in the desert and had to smash a window. As soon as I punched it, it threw me about 3km away from it right across the map. And the traffic now has a habit if stopping at red lights and then just not bothering to move once they go green. It has created some impressively long traffic jams though.

1 hour ago, SteveH said:

My game has started playing this loud fucking noise above me no matter where I am. It sounds like a fleet of jet planes and helicopters hovering overhead and it is so annoying. Tried a full reboot of the game but it hasn't gone away. 

Had one amusing bug doing a mission out in the desert and had to smash a window. As soon as I punched it, it threw me about 3km away from it right across the map. And the traffic now has a habit if stopping at red lights and then just not bothering to move once they go green. It has created some impressively long traffic jams though.

lol that window one is all over YouTube also

54 minutes ago, sammy said:

Anybody playing PS5 and patch 1.06?  Just wondering if it’s resolved the frequency of hard crashes? Hard to believe I’m writing this about a AAA game, but such is 2020.

just played for 2 hours after 1.06 and no issues for me on unsalted PS4

I finally managed to play this last night, and was a bit underwhelmed to be honest. The Corpo introduction is a bit perfunctory, and the gun combat seems pretty poor so far. I’m not too bothered, as I feel this way about almost every big game I play, like RDR2, Last of Us 2, and almost always end up enjoying them, but even so, shooting each bad guy about ten times (including two or three head shots) feels pretty unsatisfying. I get that it’s an RPG, and that there needs to be a sense of progression, but it feels like they could have tuned the gun combat to be a bit less farcical at the start. 

I'm playing on Stadia, and the performance seems great, albeit with a few glitches like Jackie disappearing except for his guns, or him phasing through the doors of a lift. There’s one thing where I’m genuinely not sure if it’s a bug or poor design. You know how in most games, inside buildings, areas in the distance fade into darkness? In this, it’s like the effect has been reversed, so that interior areas “fade” into blinding light with distance. It’s particularly prevalent in the first section after you go back to your flat and go to sleep; in the morning, the interior courtyard of the Dredd-style building you live in looks bizarre, as the far corners are bathed in blown-out sunlight, despite being indoors. It’s a very strange effect, and a total immersion killer - like an extreme version of the old N64 fog effect. 

Exteriors on the street look great, it’s just interiors that suffer. Anyone else had that problem?

That’s the thing with Stadia. With a PC or a console, at least you can reboot it or rebuild the database or something. I can hardly ring up Google and ask them to go into one of their datacentres and give the computer a thump. 

Great. You complete a particular mission for Panem, her 'family' moves to a new location.

Off the edge of the known map, apparently. So you can't drive back when you next complete a mission for them. And their fast travel link doesn’t appear on the map, either. So you can leave but never return...

1 hour ago, smac said:

Great. You complete a particular mission for Panem, her 'family' moves to a new location.

Off the edge of the known map, apparently. So you can't drive back when you next complete a mission for them. And their fast travel link doesn’t appear on the map, either. So you can leave but never return...

Hotel Panemfornia.

I haven't been this intoxicated by a game/ game world since Ocarina of Time. Every second I'm not playing this game, I'm thinking about playing it, or thinking about what I want to do next. I only get an hour an evening at most so I sit here at my desk (yes, working Boxing Day :( ) planning my evening jaunt so I make the most out of what little time I get. Tonight I'm going to upgrade a bunch of my guns, don a suitable outfit, turn the difficulty up to max, and delve into this investigation with Officer Brooding. I had just gotten it started when Panam called me urgently so I dropped everything and flew into the Badlands on my Kusanagi. The dead can wait. A friend in need is a friend indeed.

9 hours ago, smac said:

Bloody hell. You can get back, but only on a specific road, and approaching cross-country at a specific point; only one way that I have found. Otherwise it's surrounded by a big hole in the map - driving away from the camp towards the city, I get a 'You have reached the edge of the map' message. Persist, and you get turned around 180. Once I got turned over onto my roof - God getting confused about axes of rotation, there.

And it looks like I can't complete the Cyberpsychos missions - first one I did reappeared as a ‘scan the area' message, and I know I did that mission and got the message from the fixer.

Hah, and I just made it back to Panam's camp via my trusty route and thought 'Oh, that big tank's not there; I'll park in that garage'.

Only for it to spawn in on top of me, knocking me right through the geometry, leading to several minutes of tumbling through and reloading in limbo.

11 hours ago, K said:

That’s the thing with Stadia. With a PC or a console, at least you can reboot it or rebuild the database or something. I can hardly ring up Google and ask them to go into one of their datacentres and give the computer a thump. 

I’m playing it on Stadia too and I’ve not seen the issue you describe.