Cyberpunk 2077 - Please use spoiler tags

1 minute ago, JoeK said:

It very much feels like they’ve effectively under-baked a cake and then decided the best way to sort it out is by adding layer upon layer of tasty icing and chocolate and lovely stuff. But that only can fool you for a while before you land a bite on the undercooked dough...it tastes really bad.

The thing is, I’m now not sure if you can do much about it now. The bugs aren’t actually too worrisome for me. It’s the whole system of how the AI runs that feels completely wrong. I don’t think that’s a bug, that’s how it’s been programmed. How can change it? 

I really hope they can, but...sheesh, for me it’s so much much less a game than W3 I honestly can’t believe it.

And I really never get this verbose about games that often!

The cake metaphor is a good one. They indeed try to distract players from a half-baked, often times sterile and empty world. There are so many menus and sub-systems (braindance editing, hacking, selling equipment etc.) in this game but THE ONE MAJOR THING is missing for me, namely a believable world full of believable and interesting characters that somehow feel alive. I mean, it's just not in there. And it's absolutely startling.

And yes, Witcher 3 felt completely different with way more substance.

I’m starting to feel about like @JoeK here. I want to love it, indeed there’s so much here to love. Good story, a *great* city to explore, some fun and interesting characters and some

nice mechanics. It all just feels held together with string, there’s not much to do aside from the main story and some of the side missions, you want to play with it but there’s nothing to play with (I spent 30 minutes strolling around last night, in a busy area - nothing happened). Half of me wants to continue through the story, half of me wants to put it to bed for six months and see if they can sort the underlying systems out to do the world they have created justice. 

IF they sort those systems out and get the base game to a better place I’d be kicking doors down to play it again, damn, play new episodes and stories set in this world. It’s a marvel. 

Its Witcher 3 in a different world and similarly broken as that was in launch. 

Witcher's 3 world is very flat, people seem to really hold that to some esteem but aside from NPCs in the quests/sidequests, the one's pottering about add absolutely nothing but set dressing. Same as with this. Yes theres loads of NPCs but bar saying a hello or something they add nothing after the first half hour of gawping. They are pathed a little better but still nothing to write home about.

In the Witcher 3 its go from quest to quest, same as here. Unless you want to explore a world that might have a bit of random loot here and there. Same as here.

I loved TW3, put about 250 hours into it, but its not as 'whole' as what people seem to believe imo. Underneath this is a very, very similar game, just a bit more buggy.

On a more personal level I find the writing, and mission flow to be above and beyond any other open world game by far with this.

Helps that I'm one of the lucky ones with a high end PC that hasnt really seen any bugs bar minor graphical ones.

12 minutes ago, Dark Soldier said:

Its Witcher 3 in a different world and similarly broken as that was in launch. 

Witcher's 3 world is very flat, people seem to really hold that to some esteem but aside from NPCs in the quests/sidequests, the one's pottering about add absolutely nothing but set dressing. Same as with this. Yes theres loads of NPCs but bar saying a hello or something they add nothing after the first half hour of gawping. They are pathed a little better but still nothing to write home about.

In the Witcher 3 its go from quest to quest, same as here. Unless you want to explore a world that might have a bit of random loot here and there. Same as here.

I loved TW3, put about 250 hours into it, but its not as 'whole' as what people seem to believe imo. Underneath this is a very, very similar game, just a bit more buggy.

I don't agree. Geralt's tracking abilities helped uncover lots of details about side stories and characters. Witcher 3's weather effects coupled with the medieval environments made for an incredibly deep atmosphere (the wind!). I, personally, found its main characters to be quite diverse and exciting (granted, haven't uncovered all main characters in Cyberpunk yet so can't really compare yet). And, IMO, W3 dialogue seems to be superior too. Plus, W3 is 6-7 years old.

2 minutes ago, alex3d said:

I don't agree. Geralt's tracking abilities helped uncover lots of details about side stories and characters. Witcher 3's weather effects coupled with the medieval environments made for an incredibly deep atmosphere (the wind!). I, personally, found its main characters to be quite diverse and exciting (granted, haven't uncovered all main characters in Cyberpunk yet so can't really compare yet). And, IMO, W3 dialogue seems to be superior too.

I don't think it helped that half of what I 'found' in TW3 was just some more ruins, or a shack or something. The Witcher sense is an okay mechanic but the equivalent in this is finding random shards during a small side mission that add to the structure and tale of it. Its just a different mechanic.

Writing and environment will be personal preference as in general I hate an old school fantasy setting. Castles and old market towns and kings and queens bore me to tears. The Red Baron was class though.

The plot beats and characters you meet in CP2077, for me, are unsurpassed in videogames so far. The end of act 1 into act 2 blew me away.

7 hours ago, robdood said:

Didn't even know that was a thing!

Another thing I don't get yet, is how I'm supposed to stop myself getting hacked.  A message came up the first time, saying I need to look at the enemy and pick the option from my own hack menu to counter it (I think that's what it said anyway!).  Haven't been able to successfully do that yet, I can never see the person doing it!

Oh and which brainiac decided to make scanner zoom in/out the same controls as using the hack menu? Infuriating!

5 hours ago, robdood said:

Perhaps, weird it tutorialised it the first time it ever happened, then! It's not the best in this regard, I have to say. 

I've been trying to figure that out as well. First time it happened I got a pop up about it that I presume was the tutorial? I don't know as I was mid fight. Dismiss the pop-up and crouch are the same key! That's where my stealthy no-kill playthrough became the stealthy chop every fucker to pieces if they spot me playthrough. 

It's almost like there's an uncanny valley type of effect going on with this game - the world is so dense and detailed and superficially immersive that the fact you interact with it in totally standard open world video game ways feels really limiting to some people. 

I dunno, I never expected it to have the systemic minutiae of an immersive sim while also having every pedestrian having full ai routines like a Bethesda game claims to (but doesn't) and be as bustling and dense an open world as Assassin's Creed Unity tried to be AND as realistic and atmospheric as Red Dead 2 with the quest design of Witcher 3. It seems they got people thinking that is what they were making though, when it's basically a Fallout New Vegas style game but cyberpunk. 

It's definitely not yet as good as the dream video game I hoped for but I like it a lot. 

14 hours ago, ImmaculateClump said:

I saw danbo tweeting the other day "its starting to excite me to see more and more people getting disillusioned with the big contemporary game scene". It does feel like this could be a milestone.

I looked him up expecting him to be an indie from that comment and he is, but I think there's probably a lot of agreement to be had if you add nuance. Namely, that millions of us aren't disillusioned with high-resource games at all, rather with how those resources are often misspent and exploited.

• Vemsie changed the title to Cyberpunk 2077 - Out now! (but delisted in PS Store)

To avoid clogging up this thread about the delisting news and leaving it to the players who are enjoying the game, I have moved some posts to the following thread, apologies I would usually ask everyone before moving but there were quite a few posts.

https://www.rllmukforum.com/index.php?/topic/319619-cyberpunk-2077-are-you-opting-to-refund-your-copy/

Just seen that Sony has decided to pull the game from the Store and is offering refunds.

“SIE strives to ensure a high level of customer satisfaction, therefore we will begin to offer a full refund for all gamers who have purchased Cyberpunk 2077 via PlayStation Store,” the company said.

Just seen @gospvgpost above, sorry. Shall I remove this information from this post?

On 14/12/2020 at 16:52, Fargo said:

think the pro and one x versions are where the console versions start to become decent. One x is a solid 30fps and dynamic res I think 

The framerate on the one x starts to tank in the main city areas or areas with lots of npcs - I hope there is a patch today or tomorrow!

Well I'm still really enjoying this but I'm taking my time with it, playing it on hard as a gunner/netrunner, just bought a Legendary Cyberdeck for 35k Eddies. Last night I strolled around Japan town at night, the city is a fucking marvel architecturally. It is without doubt the most impressive city in a game I've played. However as everyone knows the NPC's and vehicles in this city are nothing more than badly programmed set dressing which is a damn damn shame because the city, oh the city. So yes I can see the disappointment that will eventually befall me when I become bored especially as I just ordered a beast PC to enjoy this at it's best (not the only reason but still) and it probably won't turn up before I've completed my first playthrough by which time even the fancy visuals on my new machine may not be enough to keep my interest. But hey I still have a lot of love for what they tried to do, it's really not that different from The Witcher, I was enthralled with that game for a good 35-40 hours and then suddenly became extremely bored by it, the missions were stale and samey, the highlight after the Baron Quest was the one on the island where you actually explored the whole island for a good hour or so, it felt like a proper quest other than fetch or kill. At least in this I am really enjoying the combat, I know it's getting criticised but I like the mix of gunplay and hacking it reminds me of playing Mass Effect as a Biotic. Right now to read up on how the Sony delisting affects my PS5 copy...

FYI keep playing after the credits and do the post game missions that unlock. Some really poignant stuff.

I've backflipped on this overnight. Sure the bugs were a BIG issue, but the game really resonated with me. [ending spoilers follow]

Spoiler

What do people think of Silverhand? Perhaps because it's Keanu and I fucking love Keanu, I overlooked his flaws and always listened and buddied up with him, and it unlocked a load of missions at the end of the game where V gives him full control and he goes on the mother of all benders,  buries the hatchet with a few people, takes some revenge and gets his fucking wheels back!  You even gets the band back together for a one off gig. I really, really enjoyed that aspect. Keanu - sorry, Johnny opened up and said he doesn't want the body and would go behind the blackwall with Alt and I got to live out my days with Panam. I just thought as a finale it all came together really nicely.

Anyway, after initially thinking of uninstalling straight away, I'm now kinda tempted to see how differently I can play it with a female V...

20 minutes ago, Opinionated Ham Scarecrow said:
  Hide contents

What do people think of Silverhand?

Spoiler

He's a boring arsehole and I hate how the story seems to be centred around him, I just mash C and F all the way through his stupid flashback bits.

I found out why the game tries to prevent you accessing the inventory screen during his bits (which of course bugged out and failed):

Spoiler

182553934_Cyberpunk2077Screenshot2020_12.18-03_49_08_76.thumb.png.2a052660f7d9da0e592794a7105cba42.png

14 hours ago, Dark Soldier said:

Having literally finished W3 last night having put in 60 hours or so I agree with this. I think people who played it years ago are remembering it as more than it is. It’s still great but I never got ‘living breathing world’ out it it. 

The hyperbole is getting worst now. 

“They should just move on.”

”They’ll never fix their reputation.”

I mean, many people are loving it and not just because it looks nice. They’ve fucked up massively with the old gen stuff and should probably have taken another year on the next gen console versions and dropped the old gen stuff. Hopefully lessons will be learned by the bean counters who make these decisions. 

• Vemsie changed the title to Cyberpunk 2077 - Please use spoiler tags