Cyberpunk 2077 - Please use spoiler tags

1 minute ago, Stavi said:

Massive installed user base, they'd be crazy not too. Not to mention all the marketing, xmas sales etc. etc. They're not great, but they're not that bad either. 

And they will improve with patches too, Witcher III had shocking performance on PS4 & Xbox One too but it improved over time. 

I think people forget CDPR are an indie studio. A very big and successful one but not as big as Valve for example.

Eventually they have to put something out, leaving the next gen stuff until more people actually have a next gen console makes sense. 

2 minutes ago, deerokus said:

I think people forget CDPR are an indie studio. A very big and successful one but not as big as Valve for example.

Eventually they have to put something out, leaving the next gen stuff until more people actually have a next gen console makes sense. 

Yea, that absolutely makes sense. It just seemed to me that necessary bits and pieces for the next gen versions were already there - of course, now I know better.

3 minutes ago, Ry said:

It should have been delayed. That's a fact. The game isn't finished. 

It has issues on all formats as far as I can tell, but you’re not going to delay it on the most popular formats, that’s just not good commerce, is it. 

6 minutes ago, Ry said:

It should have been delayed. That's a fact. The game isn't finished. 

perhaps, but that kind of framerate is pretty standard for cross gen open world games.

6 minutes ago, deerokus said:

CDPR have just under four times as many employees as valve do. (Between three and four anyway)

1 minute ago, Stanley said:

It has issues on all formats as far as I can tell, but you’re not going to delay it on the most popular formats, that’s just not good commerce, is it. 

It should have been delayed. Fuck commerce. 

Im selling my sealed copy anyway, I'm perfectly happy to wait (even though its been my most anticipated game for about 6 years) until the SX version, by that time I will be able to pick it up much cheaper as well. :)

PC version running nicely for me but very early in the game yet. Coming out of my apartment for the first time and there's lots of pedestrians about, doing their thing. Tends not to stand up to long close scrutiny as they don't do much really but that's probably expecting too much for them all to be convincing responsive AI.

The only bugs I've hit as yet are very minor but a bit lame, like inventory overlays not getting out of the way when trying to change items.

30 minutes ago, Ry said:

It should have been delayed. Fuck commerce. 

Im selling my sealed copy anyway, I'm perfectly happy to wait (even though its been my most anticipated game for about 6 years) until the SX version, by that time I will be able to pick it up much cheaper as well. :)

Fuck commerce :lol:

edit. Hang on you’re trolling here suuuuurely - you have a sealed copy - well done :hat:

46 minutes ago, Gabe said:

I appreciate people are early in their playthroughs at the moment, but it'll be interesting to know if, like the Eurogamer chap, people find that the underlying systems aren't really needed to get by/locked behind high requirements (be it level/cash or something else). A good RPG, for me, is all about the skill trees being an important part of the experience. If you can zoom through without really needing to utilise the skills you have, then that would be a black mark in my book. I get that some of the systems may become more necessary at higher skill levels (potions in Witcher 3 I guess is the obvious reference point), there should still be enough that is needed at all skill levels.

For those playing, then, how do the skill requirements look across the trees and how much have you had to rely on them so far and - for completeness - what skill level are you playing on?

I think needing them will totally depend on difficulty, but from what I can see the upgrades look like actual gameplay defining upgrades. There are so many moving parts to the systems at play, that you can define your character and play style. 

Cannot mention much on cost as the wheels are still freshly spinning. 

Again, as for needing them, I cannot imagine it being worse than titles similar, and at a glance, all the customisation options are a step above. If you want to absolutely need every tool in your box, choose a harder difficulty. Of you just want fun sandboxing, normal seems to be the sweet spot. 

7 hours ago, davejm said:

Up early for a bit of Cyberpunk!  First thing I did?  Map the wheel to the driving controls and had a spin around the Badlands :D

If you use the wheel to play when controlling V, you can pretend your playing Blue Stinger on the DC. 

20 minutes ago, footle said:

CDPR have just under four times as many employees as valve do. (Between three and four anyway)

Yeah, and Valve are just as 'indie' - almost to a fault, in fact, what with both being combination developers and storefront owners. It's just one has a considerably bigger storefront, and the other a considerably bigger game development arm.

In other, slightly awkward news, my (incredibly generous, non-games-playing) housemate has gifted me a copy of this as an early Christmas present - they know I love games, and sci-fi (and particularly cyberpunk), and as I'm in the middle of my Christmas leave (can't take the Christmas/new year weeks off due to team scheduling) they thought this would be a nice gift. Incredibly thoughtful of them, and I'm not about to spurn a present, so I guess I'll be trying this on PC in full-on bug-mode, rather than waiting for a second-hand PS5 copy in the new year, after all!

30 minutes ago, footle said:

perhaps, but that kind of framerate is pretty standard for cross gen open world games.

Only because they actually make games. 

18 minutes ago, partious said:

I just played this on base ps4 for about 4 and a half hours.

There's either something wrong with me or the internet gaming discussion hyperbole machine is busy at work again for the clicks.

I saw zero noticeable bugs and I thought the performance, graphics and loading times were completely acceptable for an open world ps4 game, including driving in the city. I actually thought the nighttime city graphics were quite impressive for a ps4 game. 

That said, I haven't watched all the videos that helpfully explain to people that a ps4 game looks worse than it does on an rtx 3090 or has a lower framerate than on ps5, so maybe I'm doing this wrong.

Thanks for the honest opinion Partious. Youtubers can do one. 

So I've played another 3 to 4 hours now on base PS4, I'm now past the intro mission or two and into Act 1. More impressions:

Technical stuff -

The bad news first. Yes, the graphics on base PS4 just aren't holding up at anything over half a block of distance. It looks downright bad at range, especially when driving - blurry, low resolution, textures popping in. At short range things look pretty good and up close very good. I've seen more instances of character and vehicle model LODs not cycling quick enough in the open world and cutscenes which looks really bad (basically imagine Goldeneye quality models pop into detailed models in front of your character). I've seen cars and people pop in fairly blatently. Its dissapointing, the scale and visuals of the world are one of the big selling points but on this console a lot of other PS4 games put it to shame from a graphical technical standpoint, especially stuff like GTA5, Death Stranding or Last of Us Part 2. I know we're talking about a massively complex world here with loads of detail, but they clearly specced around PC and pro models first. Understandable but still a kick in the teeth. But I knew this would be the case. Does it hurt the game though? From an immersion point, yes, a bit so far. 

Elsewhere graphically things are inconsistent. Main character details are pretty damned good up close, as are the more custom interiors. Lighting is good so far but the fuzziness and low resolution can be felt even in interiors. I've tried turning off film grain and depth of field but honestly it barely makes a difference, this is a technical limitation, not an artistic one. I'd say it looks better with the filters on because it helps to blur the stuff in the distance. This isn't a reflection on the graphical design which is sweet so far, really atmospheric.

Framerate is variable but is generally low, its not too much of a deal for me but it is noticeable.

As you'd expect I'm still running into small but noticeable bugs, mainly graphical glitches like a main character walking through an elevator door, the occasional object not visually syched up with the hand that's holding it, arms going through tables, the list goes on. Not a big deal. I have had one crash though, I was just in a story quest conversation and for no apparent reason the PS4 blue screened. I restarted the game and loaded the checkpoint and it worked ok the second time around. In that attempt, a car must have magically spawned next to us or something because mid conversation I heard a huge crash and suddenly a random car door was flying onto a barrier with sparks flying, and no vehicles in sight. So yeah, overall its mostly working but there is bugginess.

Gameplay/Story (no story/mission spoilers) -

Now the game's opened up a bit I now have access to side missions and stuff, but haven't gone off the main path just yet. I drove around a bit and the city seems pretty big. There's lots of random junk to find in boxes and stuff, and we're still in the age of games where people don't mind you looting their flat or items right next to them. There's a decent amount of optional dialogue to go through from main characters and lots of NPC conversations to listen in on, which is always nice. The world seems very populated - though yes I did notice when driving that the streets seemed to be pretty barren of pedestrians - on foot though there's tons of people going around.

TV and radio you can just stand and listen/watch for ages, quite often I've just stood in elevators to watch the whole of a TV segment play out (which look quite bad on PS4). There are little news articles lying around to read and you can read articles on the net when you use computers. All nice worldbuilding stuff and I'm into it.

I've only been in a few fights so far, performance-wise they were ok. Shooting felt satisfying, punch-ups much less so (even in a tutorial wielding a katata). Hacking in combat doesn't provide many options so far but is very easy to pull off, it seems every character will have access to it and so far the hacking mini game has been simple but it is seriously early days and I'm looking forward to unlocking more options and getting into the proper nethacking stuff. Stealth is standard affair, cameras, enemy view cones, a grace period to hide again, etc. 

Driving is as reported, awful, at least with your starting car. Handling is extremely floaty. It feels much better to drive from the in-car view but of course then you don't get to admire the city around you, but it feels so bad in 3rd person I'll probably stick to 1st, at least until I get access to new vehicles. The low frame rate and nasty low res graphics doesn't help on PS4 either when going at speed, and switching camera has a few seconds delay which is presumably technical lag. As Skill Up's review pointed out, the mini map is useless when driving because its far too zoomed in, you fly past roads you should have turned down. They need to put in a zooming out mini map for driving. Cars look cool though, both inside and out.

Regarding upgrades, obviously its very early days but I noticed a lot of the cyberware, weapons and clothing I've seen (including stuff at shops thats high level or very expensive) just provide stat boosts, something else I've seen mentioned in reviews. Of course game changing mechanics will be doled out at a very slow pace in a game of this length. There were a few cyberware upgrades which added new funtionality, I opted for a camera hack for example. Skill Up warned in his review that the crafting route isn't worth it because of the ecomony balance so I'll be steering clear of that. 

So far its quite immersive and feels very much like a living world, even though I'm only at the very start. I'm enjoying the world and characters but the game hasn't really grabbed me yet. Witcher 3 took hours to really get into as well so I'm not too concerned, as long as the technical issues don't spoil the experience too much.

Edit- Isaac, I left you a heart in lieu of an empathy. Damn that sucks!

3 minutes ago, Retroguy said:

Have CDPR hinted at whether more work will be done on the game pre-Christmas, or is the state it's in now pretty much it until sometime in the New year?

I really really hope they’re giving at least some of their teams a break. 

7 minutes ago, spanx said:

I really really hope they’re giving at least some of their teams a break. 

That’s the problem with this situation- on the one hand you’ve got people paying full price for a game that’s clearly unfinished, and on the other you’ve got the rank and file guys at CDPR who’ve been working god knows how many hours a week.

It’s a shame they couldn’t have found a way to do something like release a paid beta (with access to the complete game) so people desperate to play the game could do so now, give their teams a break, and the company gets money to tie them over if that’s an issue.

The fact someone has made the decision to release the game now whilst charging punters full price is something that just annoys me. Presumably they wouldn’t be happy with someone getting the game now and starting the ‘journey’ of paying £2 every week for it until it’s paid for.

• Vemsie changed the title to Cyberpunk 2077 - Please use spoiler tags