Cyberpunk 2077 - Please use spoiler tags

3 minutes ago, mikeyl said:

Things like No Mans Sky or Streetfighter V got scored for what it was when it came out and not what it was hoped to be in the future. I think the oppressive hype for this game would’ve made it impossible to do that.

It shouldn't have though.

9 minutes ago, mikeyl said:

Things like No Mans Sky or Streetfighter V got scored for what it was when it came out and not what it was hoped to be in the future. I think the oppressive hype for this game would’ve made it impossible to do that.

Isn't that more because a number of features that had been talked about just weren't present in the initial release? Whereas with Cyberpunk the patches aren't adding new content at all, just fixing what is there.

To be fair, we are at least seeing a range of responses from reviewers; no one reviewer can take every approach of course, but we have sites like Gamespot highlighting the bugs, sites like Vice focussing on the themes and approach of the game, and sites like IGN doing their traditional "looks like it had a decent budget, best slap a 9 on it".

(I'm not going to join in the game discussion at the moment, as I've no special insight to add, but I would say I'm surprised that RPS don't have review code. Particularly as they were one of the few outlets who pushed the original Witcher - for all its flaws - to wider awareness in the English-speaking world way back when. Notably, with major caveats about the game's bugginess (and godawful original localisation), which feels somewhat relevant now! Certainly I'd never have played it, and had its sparks of greatness amongst the dross lead me to fall head over heels for TW2 a few years later, if it hadn't been for RPS. They're a very different site these days of course, but I'm still astonished they didn't get picked to receive an advance review copy)

11 minutes ago, mikeyl said:

Oh I am 100% with you. Dark days began back then! 

We are in a weird place now where buggy albeit good games were never a problem back in the day but are now, and patches were a problem but aren't now. 

Mainly talking pre PS4/XO days. Last gen changed the media's perception it would seem. I mean I still remember Castlevania SOTN on XBLA breaking down download size limitations many moons ago... Those were the days. 

52 minutes ago, Down by Law said:

Yeah, totally agree but i look through the thread and I don't see anyone blindly telling us how good it is other than one chap whose actually played it. I do see the usual suspects saying how fucking shit it looks and how the reviewers have been paid off though :rolleyes:

'generic shit for Idiots' - that some of that fine nuanced, thoughtful critique you were on about earlier, i assume? LOL

Twitter? I'm 35 years old ! :lol:

rs-192699-MCDBIMA_EC007_H.jpg

I don’t think anyone has played it? The one guy pretending he has is just talking about what his uncle at Nintendo told him.

I’ve written longer posts about why ND games are shite, boring shooting, bad stealth etc. I can do an essay post if you’d prefer :lol:

Twitter is full of olds. The kids are on TikTok.

43 minutes ago, Talk Show Host said:

Even when things are calming down you can always count on Broker’s “varied” discussion to show how much of an asshole he really is.

There are five year old children who would be embarrassed by your posting history. You’re a perfect example of how well marketing works on people whose brains barely function. 

39 minutes ago, mikeyl said:

50gb sounds like a tremendous amount of bugs though. If it needed that, then there’s no way the 9/10s are honest.

Don’t think it should be scored at all if they weren’t going to mark it down for needing 50gb + 50gb worth of updates but clicks are clicks unfortunately 

It was a smaller patch on the Series S, around 16gb I think. I know that’s still hefty but not *as* hefty.

I bought it on the dashboard and guess I can still cancel, maybe I should avoid this thread in case I start to panic.

11 minutes ago, SuperCapes said:

Oh I am 100% with you. Dark days began back then! 

We are in a weird place now where buggy albeit good games were never a problem back in the day but are now, and patches were a problem but aren't now. 

Mainly talking pre PS4/XO days. Last gen changed the media's perception it would seem. I mean I still remember Castlevania SOTN on XBLA breaking down download size limitations many moons ago... Those were the days. 

it’s totally cool for them to continue working on games post release. As the great Shigeru Miyamoto once said, “a delayed game may be eventually good, but a rushed game can go out to some carefully selected influencers who really don’t mind downloading three 50gb versions of the game in a week and is also good”

The fact that every single review mentions bugs but still say the game is incredible gets me very excited for the actual game. I can handle a few bugs and by the time i get to the game it will more than likely be fixed and be a classic. 

Also, "inspired" by the moods blowing through this thread at the moment, and as someone with occasionally robust opinions on games, I would implore people to try and contextualise people's opinions as just that, even when they're diametrically opposed to your own.

I mean, I have a friend in Real Life who loves computer games, but I know to have terrible taste: he loves Call of Duty, Battlefront, Battlefield, Uncharted... You know, proper trash-tier stuff. But that's fine, because he knows that I have terrible taste: wanky shit like Rez, Yakuza, Life is Strange. And that's fine! Somehow we manage to slag off each other's taste in games without slagging each other off. It's nice, I recommend giving it a try.

9 minutes ago, Wiper said:

And that's fine! Somehow we manage to slag off each other's taste in games without slagging each other off. It's nice, I recommend giving it a try.

That's all well and good, but when you have @Lying Cat making outrageous statements regarding Noita then I'm sorry but the gloves just have to come off ;) 

I mean, Noita's what Mastertronic were doing back in the day for £1.99! Now, they call this 'high art'.

Bah.

Dragon's Lair - now that was a game.

Edit: This is Alchemist from Mastertronic...Or is it Noita?

No-one can tell the difference! 

Fucking no-one!

Spare a thought for those so desperately afraid of missing out that they booked their only remaining holiday off work for launch day, only to be greeted to a 50gb patch needing buggy mess.

Spoiler

Not me, I'm not stupid.

lol at this thread. It was always going to be this way, but it peaked earlier than expected.

Love that we've already got to the 'No I'm a more mature and thoughtful gamer than you, please leave the forum you snowflake' posts a full 2 days before release!

27 minutes ago, Kryptonian said:

It was a smaller patch on the Series S, around 16gb I think. I know that’s still hefty but not *as* hefty.

There is no specific series S patch - there's no next gen version out yet. On both Series S/X it's running in BC mode. That's just the Xbox One patch, I got the same on my series X. The 50GB day one patch will probably appear on Friday.

9 minutes ago, Mr. Gerbik said:

There is no specific series S patch - there's no next gen version out yet. On both Series S/X it's running in BC mode. That's just the Xbox One patch, I got the same on my series X. The 50GB day one patch will probably appear on Friday.

Aaah, I assumed the 50gb patch everyone was on about was that one - seems odd to have the initial download and then a 16gb patch then a 50gb patch before release.

Just now, Kryptonian said:

Aaah, I assumed the 50gb patch everyone was on about was that one - seems odd to have the initial download and then a 16gb patch then a 50gb patch before release.

I think that the pre-Day 1 Patch was for reviewers to take the edge off the bugs. The rest is following.

59 minutes ago, JoeK said:

That's all well and good, but when you have @Lying Cat making outrageous statements regarding Noita then I'm sorry but the gloves just have to come off ;) 

I'm making as post in the Mod forum right now to get you banned. I am I am.

/mimes invisible typewriter 

Can we get back on topic and talk about how Cyberpunk 2077 is going to be an awful game and anyone interested in it are bad human beings and not true gamerz.

1 hour ago, mikeyl said:

1 hour ago, Gabe said:

Isn't that more because a number of features that had been talked about just weren't present in the initial release? Whereas with Cyberpunk the patches aren't adding new content at all, just fixing what is there.

In the case of Street Fighter V: that game had missing features - no arcade mode, no trials, no lobbies - but was also pretty broken in the modes that were there, due to server instability. For instance, it relied on a server connection even when you weren't playing against online opponents, which meant that you could be playing "offline" modes such as the training room and get kicked back to the title screen. Then again, I think there's a kind of expectation that comes with the genre - a new fighter is "expected" to have trials/challenges, a lobby feature, etc.

31 minutes ago, MikeF said:

There have been a few patches out now apparently, PS got one today

I am wondering if there is still going to be a Day 1 patch

I am holding off until I see actual footage of it running on a PS5

Earlier a link was posted to a twitter account which showed it running on a PS5, sorry thread moves too fast I can't find it now.