Cyberpunk 2077 - Out on November 19th

Sorry to be a Debbie Downer, but I’ve got a feeling that this game is going to be quite broken out of the gate. It will quite possibly be spectacular in 18 months from now... but it just seems like it’s reaching for the stars in a very compressed, Covid affected timeframe.

Hope I’m wrong but if something looks too good to be true......

The larger outdoor city scenes in the recent videos (both driving and on foot) don't have anywhere near the density of NPCs that were shown in the original reveal. Visually it looks absolutely incredible, but doesn't feel like the city is bustling with life like that first showing. Is this CDPR trying to balance PC versus current gen console performance for the sake of the trailers, or is the final PC version going to be like this too?

2 hours ago, Fargo said:

This article seems to suggest the first upgrade for the next gen systems is simply to have the game playable on PS5 and Series S/X. https://www.gamesradar.com/cyberpunk-ps5-xbox-series-x-upgrade/

I would find it very funny if, in it’s unpatched state, it looks better on Xbox One X than PS5.

And this coming out on PS5 launch day is really nice for those of us not buying a shiny new console. The Game Collection automatically charge you for pre-orders after about 3 months, for some reason, so I had £39 taken out of my account unexpectedly the other day. Looking forward to getting stuck in, broken or not.

28 minutes ago, Phil said:

The larger outdoor city scenes in the recent videos (both driving and on foot) don't have anywhere near the density of NPCs that were shown in the long gameplay demo. Visually it looks absolutely incredible, but doesn't feel like the city is bustling with life like that first showing. Is this CDPR trying to balance PC versus current gen console performance for the sake of the trailers, or is the final PC version going to be like this too?

This is what I mean - timestamped:

Yeah I know what you mean. It's particularly obvious in the driving sections in the recent gameplay videos. Hardly any cars on the street or pedestrians walking about. City looks incredible, though. Can't wait to walk about it looking up at the big skyscrapers and neon signs and hologram ads. 

3 hours ago, Fargo said:

This article seems to suggest the first upgrade for the next gen systems is simply to have the game playable on PS5 and Series S/X. https://www.gamesradar.com/cyberpunk-ps5-xbox-series-x-upgrade/

I thought they were getting a patch to offer some next gen improvements at launch and then a more substantial patch in 2021. 

They never said it would be next-gen improvements but at the same time they surely don't need to patch it to make it work on the next-gen consoles either?

15 hours ago, JoeK said:

All these are absolutely minor nit-picks considering the broad scope that appears to be going on, but it very much looks like a game that's ready for release right now.

My main irk is the amount of unnecessary F-bombs. They seem really forced into parts of the dialogue where no normal foul-mouthed person would use them.

"Are we fucking late?".

"Do you fucking know who you're talking to?".

I like a good fucking swear as much as the next man. But it has to be done well. Nikki Santoro vs. Sam 'Ace' Rothstein in the Nevada desert is probably my favourite film scene of all time.

Video game dialogue always gets on my nerves. It doesn't matter the developer.

2 minutes ago, Fallows said:

My main irk is the amount of unnecessary F-bombs. They seem really forced into parts of the dialogue where no normal foul-mouthed person would use them.

"Are we fucking late?".

"Do you fucking know who you're talking to?".

I like a good fucking swear as much as the next man. But it has to be done well. Nikki Santoro vs. Sam 'Ace' Rothstein in the Nevada desert is probably my favourite film scene of all time.

Video game dialogue always gets on my nerves. It doesn't matter the developer.

According to the previews this is less of a problem when playing the game, because it's more spaced out. The game comes across as edgy in trailers, but it seems less of a problem in the context of the actual game.

2 hours ago, Phil said:

The larger outdoor city scenes in the recent videos (both driving and on foot) don't have anywhere near the density of NPCs that were shown in the original reveal. Visually it looks absolutely incredible, but doesn't feel like the city is bustling with life like that first showing. Is this CDPR trying to balance PC versus current gen console performance for the sake of the trailers, or is the final PC version going to be like this too?

Skimming through the trailer, it certainly doesn’t have anything like the next gen how would they do that feel - open world hitman density, with a city feeling alive. It looks like “here there is a man standing on a street corner”.

Morning they’ve shown so far has particularly excited me at all, to be honest. It just looks like an edgy gunfest. But I’m getting it because it’s CDPR and the interesting bits aren’t going to be the stuff they put it trailers or spoil for you in gameplay videos. 

Now that we're all slagging it off, I'll join in.

First of all, this is my most looked forward to game in years and I'm confident I'll enjoy it anyway. However, I do think its setting and style has people expecting a futuristic gaming experience rather than just the setting. I suspect it will be good but I've seen nothing really new in terms of RPG gameplay. Sure, there'll be some novel systems at work but I think we've ultimately all played this game before - somewhere between Witcher and Deus Ex.

To me, also,  it looks like it'll be much more '80s/'90s action Total Recall type writing than the pseudo-depth and noir of Blade Runner. That's perhaps a little disappointing if true.

I'm sure there'll be bugs and issues but I think less than people might expect. They've had time to iron that out and have delayed a couple of times. You'd have thought anything major would have been sorted.

It'll be a solid 9/10 and provide a great world to play around in but I do think, once you look beneath the skin, you are going to be doing glorified fetch quests and compound take downs, maybe with a choice at the end and the option of stealth or shooty. A sort of MGS/GTA/Witcher/DeusEx mash up.

I know very little though and have probably seen less than most. Half of this might already be proven wrong. Hopefully it's absolutely amazing, but because I don't have the imagination to see what it could be like, I'm assuming it will be like what I've known before.

Having just sold my PS4 Pro after securing a PS5 pre-order, not playing this until the proper patch comes out sometime in 2021 is going to be the greatest test of my resolve.

...I don't stand a chance. My resolve is so weak.

Pre-production on this started in 2012. The original release date they aimed for was 2017 iirc. It's been in development a long time, they have the experience of The Witcher 3 in terms of developing an open world, and they delayed it a few times towards the end. It could very well be less buggy than some are fearing.

2 minutes ago, Mr. Gerbik said:

Pre-production on this started in 2012. The original release date they aimed for was 2017 iirc. It's been in development a long time, they have the experience of The Witcher 3 in terms of developing an open world, and they delayed it a few times towards the end. It could very well be less buggy than some are fearing.

I can hope. But my experience of Witcher 3 at launch is keeping that hope in check. :)

1 hour ago, Pockets said:

It'll be a solid 9/10 and provide a great world to play around in but I do think, once you look beneath the skin, you are going to be doing glorified fetch quests and compound take downs, maybe with a choice at the end and the option of stealth or shooty. A sort of MGS/GTA/Witcher/DeusEx mash up.

I think you’re probably right. CDPR have always created beautiful, interesting worlds for their games and filled them with great storytelling.

The actual gameplay mechanics have never really been anything to shout about. I’ve never seen anyone laud The Witcher 3 for its combat.

7 minutes ago, HarryBizzle said:

I think you’re probably right. CDPR have always created beautiful, interesting worlds for their games and filled them with great storytelling.

The actual gameplay mechanics have never really been anything to shout about. I’ve never seen anyone laud The Witcher 3 for its combat.

The combat in that game stopped me playing it. 

22 minutes ago, Tomdominer said:

I know this has probably been asked a thousand times, but if I buy the PS4 version, I get upgraded to the PS5 version for free when that launches then?

Yes.

30 minutes ago, HarryBizzle said:

Ben Moore from Easy Allies, who is very much a mechanics driven gamer, said he was surprised with how good the gunplay felt. Perhaps they're better at that than they are at melee combat, as that looks as clunky in this as it did in TW3. But I'm interested in the immersive sim style elements, providing multiple gameplay solutions to quests as well as multiple outcomes.

I loved The Witcher 3 and wasn't that fussed about it leading up to release. Feeling the same about this now but with a bit more open world fatigue in the bank this time round. If it does turn out to be great, I don't want start until it gets its next gen trousers on, because that will always be at the back of my mind when playing through it.

Seeing as how I’ve been playing Witcher 3 for years with no end in sight, and in that time gone from PS4 to PS4 Pro from HD to 4k and had untold updates and content added, I’m not too worried if this is a bit borked on Day 1. I just need to get cracking!

2 hours ago, Pockets said:

Now that we're all slagging it off, I'll join in.

First of all, this is my most looked forward to game in years and I'm confident I'll enjoy it anyway. However, I do think its setting and style has people expecting a futuristic gaming experience rather than just the setting. I suspect it will be good but I've seen nothing really new in terms of RPG gameplay. Sure, there'll be some novel systems at work but I think we've ultimately all played this game before - somewhere between Witcher and Deus Ex.

To me, also,  it looks like it'll be much more '80s/'90s action Total Recall type writing than the pseudo-depth and noir of Blade Runner. That's perhaps a little disappointing if true.

I'm sure there'll be bugs and issues but I think less than people might expect. They've had time to iron that out and have delayed a couple of times. You'd have thought anything major would have been sorted.

I know very little though and have probably seen less than most. Half of this might already be proven wrong. Hopefully it's absolutely amazing, but because I don't have the imagination to see what it could be like, I'm assuming it will be like what I've known before.

Metacritc 82

This thread has become Debbie Does Downers.

To me this continues to look utterly phenomenal. In how the city is built, in its richness and density, in the variety and sheer design brilliance of its myriad NPCs, in how it looks to play. I don’t even mind the dialogue or the reduced number of NPCs when shifting at speed (and I’m sure that will improve). 

To me it still tops anything else we’ve seen this year, and feels like it’s from the motherfucking future.

Just 2 months to go...

9 hours ago, Doctor Shark said:

I did notice a bit where they were shooting someone running at them, blasting them full on in the face with a machine gun, blood flying everywhere but the enemy not even reacting, which was weird. 

Just like lag on a bad connection! I imagine that'll be one of their priorities for patching, though.

7 hours ago, BadgerFarmer said:

I was thinking GTA Sci-fi watching the gangs trailer. Tonally it feels a bit off, like it would make more sense if it was presenting itself as a pastiche.

As an RPG, I'm still expecting it to be groundbreaking. As a take on cyberpunk, I'm less confident.

Re: tone, it's very:

YOU HAVE SELECTED GANG HARDMAN

PLEASE CHOOSE YOUR LEATHER JACKET AND EDGECUT

But then you can wear a garishly wonderful top and no trousers, so all's not lost and there is a sense of humour in there somewhere. Just behind the official curtain, as if realising they've two audiences and they're trying to engage the edgier ones without overlooking the rest of us. But that voiceacting!

Maybe Silverhand's the Jax Teller who constantly advises us to reach out.

7 hours ago, Vemsie said:

I think CDPR will pull this one of. They made TW3 in less time without any open world experience and while this is a way more ambitious game, they also had more experience, a much bigger dev team and a much bigger budget.

Yeah, but the Witchers were written for them. Geralt didn't meet any offensively stereotyped Haitians or Japanese, say.

17 hours ago, thesnwmn said:

The recommended specs look quite generous but I'd be a bit wary how good it will look on them. Good and solid frame rate I suspect. Much more grunt needed to see it's best I suspect

Min Spec is targeting 1080p/low preset

Rec Spec is targeting 1080p/high preset

No mention of whether that is at console target performance or something more tolerable to people who prefer to play their multiplats on PC for that reason.

True 4K with RT at a mere 60Hz could be most difficult to achieve if they've cranked up the RT, even Fortnite can't manage it with RT at 4K with reconstruction enabled currently.

9 minutes ago, mushashi said:

True 4K with RT at a mere 60Hz could be most difficult to achieve if they've cranked up the RT, even Fortnite can't manage it with RT at 4K with reconstruction enabled currently.

yeah, but thats beacuse UE4's version , is bobbins! see mechwarrior and ghostrunner