rllmuk
Vemsie

Cyberpunk 2077 - "Jesus Christ, my legs!" - Delayed until 17th September

I can’t remember the last time I was disappointed when a highly-anticipated title was delayed. My three most wanted games (TLOU2, Watch Dogs Legion and this) have all had significant delays and I’ve been delighted by the news each time, relieved to have more time to finish off other stuff before they consume all my free time. The recent fallow period for big releases has been wonderful. 

• Upvote 8

Likewise, I can't say that the delay is particularly bothersome - Plenty of time for some graphics cards to come down in price, and get around to basically every other game that's worthwhile in the year*.

Spoiler

*not happening

• Upvote 2

Good news in some ways - always nice to have a HUGE autumn game.  Still Pillars 2, Wasteland 3 and, hopefully, Disco Elysium for console RPG fans in the interim.

• Upvote 2

Yeah, this is good news. I was always going to be wary of a next-gen console upgrade so this kind of confirms that I'll likely end up waiting a bit for a Series X or PS5 version. 

Means I can take my sweet time now with my Witcher trilogy playthrough. 

41 minutes ago, Parappa said:

Or maybe they did? 

Very close to a generation change unless they do a next gen version as well like GTA 5

I always assumed they would also do a next-gen version also. I'd be very surprised if they didn't, given that PC is their main platform. That's why I wasn't really happy about the original release date - too close to next-gen for me not to want to play the pretty version instead, but too far for me to be able to wait. September 17th is perfect, either one of those next-gen consoles launches on that same date or at the very least the Xbox Series X will be so close that I'll be able to wait (atm it looks like the Xbox will be the most powerful, in that case I'll be playing it on that, or else PS5)

But Mr. Gerbik I can hear some ask, if you care about shinies and performance that much why don't you simply buy the PC version? Because even if both next-gen consoles cost 500 quid a piece, getting both is still far cheaper than buying a fancy GPU to do this justice! (and I would need a new motherboard and CPU too on top of that)

• Upvote 1

Aye, disappointed, but I remember the state Witcher 3 launched in. Glad they're taking their time, and getting it right. I wonder if sales of W3 recently helped give them the extra breathing space...

Just now, Thor said:

Aye, disappointed, but I remember the state Witcher 3 launched in. Glad they're taking their time, and getting it right. I wonder if sales of W3 recently helped give them the extra breathing space...

Note that Witcher 3 also popped up on Game Pass very recently, so they at the very least got some of that Microsoft money*. On top of that you get everyone jumping onboard because of the TV show, and by all accounts the Switch version did very well. So you could be right.

*next-gen version of Cyberpunk to be Xbox exclusive confirmed!!11!

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Mr. Gerbik said:

Note that Witcher 3 also popped up on Game Pass very recently, so they at the very least got some of that Microsoft money*. On top of that you get everyone jumping onboard because of the TV show, and by all accounts the Switch version did very well. So you could be right.

I recall CDPR, in fairness, being very apologetic about the release state of Witcher 3, but also saying that they had to release it when they did. They had to start getting the sales in. 

• Upvote 1

Just now, Thor said:

I recall CDPR, in fairness, being very apologetic about the release state of Witcher 3, but also saying that they had to release it when they did. They had to start getting the sales in. 

Indeed, and in further fairness they put a lot of work into it post-release beyond just fixing shit and added a lot of free stuff before moving onto the expansions. My expectations for Cyberpunk are absurd, but I have faith they'll come close.

• Upvote 3

Just now, Mr. Gerbik said:

Indeed, and in further fairness they put a lot of work into it post-release beyond just fixing shit and added a lot of free stuff before moving onto the expansions. My expectations for Cyberpunk are absurd, but I have faith they'll come close.

Aye, I was fucking irate during launch week, full of silly righteous indignation. They've earned a lot of goodwill since then. :)

10 minutes ago, Thor said:

Quoting you again, because it's also worth noting the original release date was right at the end of the fiscal year, usually a sign that they need to get a game out right then whatever the cost. But now they've got more financial wiggle room because of the things I mentioned in my earlier post, so decided to give the game the time it actually needs. This is a good thing. I think your guess was right on the money, so to speak.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Dave White said:

ah well,

might start a run through of there Witcher 3, embarrassed to say I never completed it and left it.

Did you reach the expansions back then? If not , you're in for a treat. The main game is brilliant but the expansions are :chef's kiss:

8 minutes ago, Mr. Gerbik said:

Did you reach the expansions back then? If not , you're in for a treat. The main game is brilliant but the expansions are :chef's kiss:

I didn't @Mr. Gerbik,

installing!

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Liamness said:

Haha, came in this thread to say I was glad it had been delayed because I've got a serious backlog. But you all beat me to it!

You almost sound surprised. People practically clamber over each other to say that whenever a much anticipated, AAA game is delayed.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, FiveFootNinja said:

:mad:

Working in software myself I get crunch is sometimes a reality, but the industry really needs to start reforming it as a defacto model. I'd rather they delay it to 2021 to be honest.

We do. There are much worse companies than CDPR on that front, like Rockstar, but making AAA games is very tough. And stretching the development time usually means a huge financial risk. We need to change a lot of things.

• Upvote 1

Perhaps this recent surge in people playing (and presumably buying) The Witcher 3 has given them enough money to extend its development? If thats the case then I see it as a positive - either giving them the chance to polish it properly or making it even better. Pure speculation, obviously.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Stavi said:

Perhaps this recent surge in people playing (and presumably buying) The Witcher 3 has given them enough money to extend its development? If thats the case then I see it as a positive - either giving them the chance to polish it properly or making it even better. Pure speculation, obviously.

Mr Gerbik and I already discussed this upthread. Do keep up. ;)

• Downvote 2