rllmuk
Vemsie

Cyberpunk 2077 - Delayed until November 19th

I dunno, I forget. There's too much data on this bootleg chip I have inside my head, and I can't act my way out of a paper bag. Woah!

• Upvote 2

There are a few much more negative impressions of this compared to last year, which are a bit puzzling to me, a few of them say something along the lines that it seems like 'just another immersive sim rpg shooter'. 

I must have missed the cascade of those recently?! There's Arkane's games and the most recent Deus Ex which has probably killed the series. It's hardly a crowded genre at the moment and it needs more than one studio making them. 

• Upvote 4

Re-playing Mankind Divided on Deus Ex mode and I think it might be the most RPG-y action RPG going in terms of combat. Mass Effect 2’s was too simple and Witcher 3’s whilst expansive really involved a lot of getting used to the clunky bits to really enjoy, although like Deus Ex the harder the game mode the more you get out of its systems.

I’m hoping Cyberpunk can really nail the mix of action, strategy, player agency and development. 

• Upvote 5

Mike Pondsmith responds to criticism on Reddit and its worth the read. It shows just how toxic and disruptive the twitter outrage mob can be, and luckily they didn't succeed this time. 

• Upvote 5

10 hours ago, Stevie said:

Mike Pondsmith responds to criticism on Reddit and its worth the read. It shows just how toxic and disruptive the twitter outrage mob can be, and luckily they didn't succeed this time. 

Yeah, it is really getting out of hand. especially with the selective attacks from major media like Kotaku or EG or RPS, where they only ask these 'questions' where it suits them. My biggest fear -and it seems to materialize on some level- is that you will either have to be offended or been seen as an enemy.

• Upvote 2
  • Empathy 2

39 minutes ago, Mr. Gerbik said:

After being on a media blackout for this game, I quickly dipped into the last page of this thread to get a sense of the excitement for this game, a little taste of dat sweet sweet hype.

Fuck the internet, I'm back on my blackout 

Yeah the internet is wack these days, I literally just visit this forum and also jerk off to wannabe models on Instagram

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Boozy The Clown said:

Not cyberpunk but related to this grasping for clickbait controversy nonsense.

I think answers like these and Pondsmith's are needed more and more. For example, there's nothing more effective when you have the  creator of a game, who also happens to be black, to shoot down the silly and hyperbolic ramblings of a "journalist" complaining about stereotypes. 

• Upvote 1

58 minutes ago, Stevie said:

Can hardly wait!

His voice is so utterly legendary :wub:

Excellent interview. 

1 hour ago, deerokus said:

I've noticed that certain game writers seem to have it out for CDPR for some reason . I recall a similar bit of nonsense about Witcher 3 not being diverse enough because there were no black people in it. It's infuriating because it's really a form of cultural imperialism in and of itself, where American culture wars and social concerns are seen as something we should all be confronting no matter what society we are from and art from other cultures which doesn't engage with these issues is 'racist' or something. 

So a game made by Eastern European developers based on elements of Slavic and Celtic mythology and set in thinly-veiled versions of Central/Eastern Europe and Ireland/Western Isles of Scotland/Norway* isn't 'diverse' because the society doesn't reflect the present day American society which is depicted in every other AAA game. A game which is partly an allegory for the terrible ways Polish and Slavic people have been treated throughout history at the hands of racist ideologies doesn't deal with racism because they don't understand that white people can be racist against white people!

And for C77, it seems perhaps as if the very common American practice of seeing race as a more important social division than class is at work in these half-arsed complaints. That's part of the reason why unions are dead in the US, class solidarity just isn't a thing. 

*Skellige being brilliant, it's the only game I have ever played that isn't a Paradox strategy game which has even bothered with the complex Irish/Norse/Scottish culture thing - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Norse–Gaels

You should have seen a contributor's article on RPS about Assassin's Creed Odyssey and how it promotes harmful views regarding slavery. :rolleyes:

• Upvote 1
  • Empathy 1

On 15/06/2019 at 11:54, womblingfree said:

Re-playing Mankind Divided on Deus Ex mode and I think it might be the most RPG-y action RPG going in terms of combat. Mass Effect 2’s was too simple and Witcher 3’s whilst expansive really involved a lot of getting used to the clunky bits to really enjoy, although like Deus Ex the harder the game mode the more you get out of its systems.

I’m hoping Cyberpunk can really nail the mix of action, strategy, player agency and development. 

Mankind Divided is genuinely brilliant. As underrated as Human Revolution was overrated. 

• Upvote 3

14 minutes ago, Marlowe said:

Mankind Divided is genuinely brilliant. As underrated as Human Revolution was overrated. 

That Deus Ex is all I refer to when I think of how 2077 might turn out.  In DE: MD, the level/quest options were just threefold?  If I remember correctly:  Kill everything, stealth about, or hack/bit of both?  I can't see 2077 being much different...

I really, honestly worry about the statements from Miles Tost when he says stuff like perks will unlock different dialogue trees (how many perks are there!), your characters look will mean certain characters will react differently to you, your characters background that's created at the start of the game will lead to affiliations with similar 'classes' (grew up on the streets? Hoodrats will like you.  Corporate?  Suits will warm to you, etc). 

I just cannot see how this much branching is possible.  So much time and effort spent on stuff people will never see?  You can only have so many CGI cut scenes....can you really have 20+ different endings?  

But then again, they had what...250 staff for developing Witcher 3 and now there's nearly 900.  So maybe they can.  

giphy.gif

I'm now in proper hype mode.So much so that I watched this:

I've never played a tabletop RPG in my life. Looks fun... should have started 20 years ago it seems. ;)

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Mitchell said:

That Deus Ex is all I refer to when I think of how 2077 might turn out.  In DE: MD, the level/quest options were just threefold?  If I remember correctly:  Kill everything, stealth about, or hack/bit of both?  I can't see 2077 being much different...

I really, honestly worry about the statements from Miles Tost when he says stuff like perks will unlock different dialogue trees (how many perks are there!), your characters look will mean certain characters will react differently to you, your characters background that's created at the start of the game will lead to affiliations with similar 'classes' (grew up on the streets? Hoodrats will like you.  Corporate?  Suits will warm to you, etc). 

I just cannot see how this much branching is possible.  So much time and effort spent on stuff people will never see?  You can only have so many CGI cut scenes....can you really have 20+ different endings?  

But then again, they had what...250 staff for developing Witcher 3 and now there's nearly 900.  So maybe they can.  

giphy.gif

It's been done before, just not recently. Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines is pretty much the template for a game like this, rather than the recent Deus Ex titles.

It was also massively buggy with an infamous amount of cut content at release, but then they never had access to anywhere near as many resources as CDPR right now.

The writing management of Cyberpunk 2077 was a huge job by any standard. No idea if they've made good on their ambition of seven/eight years back, but if they have I wouldn't be surprised if the level of branching was unprecedented.

4 hours ago, GamesGamesGames said:

The writing management of Cyberpunk 2077 was a huge job by any standard. No idea if they've made good on their ambition of seven/eight years back, but if they have I wouldn't be surprised if the level of branching was unprecedented.

This aims for a completely different level of gameplay choices and branching. Both modern Deus Ex games are quite basic compared to what CDPR is trying to do actually. For example they have no companions and their worlds are extremely smaller and contained in comparison. Their systems do not interconnect the same way either. CDPR is talking about different access to different kinds of quests depending on your "cool" stat as well. 

This is a classless open world rpg with sandbox questing and Naughty Dog / Rockstar levels of quality storytelling that also changes and adapts to deep and complex character input and choices while lasting 60+ hours. 

It's basically an impossible game to be made. :D

11 hours ago, Mitchell said:

just cannot see how this much branching is possible.  So much time and effort spent on stuff people will never see?  You can only have so many CGI cut scenes....can you really have 20+ different endings

Have they really said over 20 different endings? As for the CGI cut scenes, I. Witcher 3 you can count them on one hand. Most of the scenes are done in the engine in real-time; I expect it'll be the same for this game. 

11 hours ago, Mitchell said:

I don't know, I felt like with DE: MD, the big improvement on Human Revolution was that the level design was sophisticated enough that there was never a simple telegraphed path through each area for action, stealth or hacking. Each area was a puzzle that could be solved in myriad ways, and you were less boxed in by the augmentations you'd decided to upgrade. 

As @Talk Show Host points out, this isn't going be the case with 2077. The world is simply too big to include much if any level design of that sophistication. DE: MD also had very elaborate side quests that again I wouldn't expect to see in a game of 2077's scale.