IGNORED

The Smoking and BBQ thread

Oracle

19 hours ago, Jonny5 said:

No pics?

PXL_20210814_111012487_copy_1512x2016.thumb.jpg.231aa8b7f657f05a20ec946e3a436251.jpgIMG_20210814_185913_773_copy_540x960.thumb.jpg.70fe11e583fe30926ba20c4b2094971e.jpg

The flat was much better than my last attempt but it pales in comparison to the point. Everything I've read suggests the grass fed stuff we eat is far too lean to achieve what our American grain fed friend's produce with the flat. I wrapped it when it reached about 80c, well past the stall but I was concerned about how long it was taking and the flat drying out too much. The bark wasn't crispy, which is a shame.

I think I might stick to just using the point from now on, it was heavenly. Used apple wood, which isn't a very strong flavour but it produced a smoke ring that was nice and definitely a smokier flavour than the cocoshell briquettes.

The slow n sear was brilliant in helping to maintain temperature through the night, one full chimney lasted over 9 hours.

Next week I'm going to see how a full slow cooked chuck as an alternative to the brisket. I'll post that, if I remember.

I need some sort of BBQ support group….

Ive finally collected my Weber setup and have that with me now but with a partner who is veggie its not seen any use yet! My Traeger is being stored round a mates who has practically used it every day and loves it - I’m getting hit with pics daily of all my fave food 😭

8 hours ago, Shimmyhill said:

I need some sort of BBQ support group….

Ive finally collected my Weber setup and have that with me now but with a partner who is veggie its not seen any use yet! My Traeger is being stored round a mates who has practically used it every day and loves it - I’m getting hit with pics daily of all my fave food 😭

Plenty of BBQ you can do for veggies.

Grilled veg obviously, potatos, mushrooms, aubergine. You get that lovely smokey flavour into moutabel or even Tarka Daal. Any caserole style stuff like beans or mac&cheese takes on a lot of nice flavour from smoke. There's that Watermelon thing that's done the rounds, and then obviously there's tons of meat replacement stuff now that benefits from time on the grill.

I quite like grilled lemons/limes/grapefruit for deserts or drinks - grilling them does something special to the sugars that brings out a lot of richness.

• 3 months later...

PSA on BBQ cleanliness - if you aren't going to use them get your BBQ cleared out and packed away as much as possible over winter.

I hadn't fired up my big Kamado in over 18 months as been using the smaller one all the time, took a look in this week and it wasn't pretty - the damp environment seemed to have some sort of mould growing in there. I had left coals in though so got them going and gave it a 350c fully open rip for as long as it would go (a good few hours) - have now cleaned off all the grills and iron bits and stowed away in the shed for winter. A small family of albino spiders seemed to have taken up residency in the cover too.

Being a ceramic the actual shell had absorbed moisture and the whole body was sizzling and literally sweating on the outer surface as it boiled off. 

It's pretty clean now and will be a lot easier to get going next year.

• 4 months later...

First barbecue of the year. Straight in with a whole brisket for our Easter Sunday family banquet.

I salted it 24 hours before and used Amazing Ribs' big bad beef rub just before putting it on the barbecue. All my other briskets have only been salt and pepper.

Still using the Weber with slow n sear but I decided, belatedly, to actually follow the instructions. Very happy with the cook so far, 12 hours and I haven't had to top up the coals yet.

The 12 coals suggested as the starter ran too hot, it was hitting 150c so I dampened down a fair few coals. Got it down to 120c overnight and it's been there happily ever since, I'll be halving the starter coals next time.

PXL_20220416_200519409_copy_1838x1378.thumb.jpg.362e7df62b7633552910e72761e21c0b.jpg

42 minutes ago, Adrock said:

First barbecue of the year. Straight in with a whole brisket for our Easter Sunday family banquet.

Nice. I'm about to give the Weber its Spring clean and get it fired up. Do post pics of the brisket when done, if it's not too late already!

As requested  :

PXL_20220417_161912234_copy_2016x1512.thumb.jpg.ad2b1ccad887b7edc6f23e9af93bf2de.jpg

PXL_20220417_162404706_copy_1512x2016.thumb.jpg.a1d718f05985f78baaa925fc4b36da89.jpg

PXL_20220417_163908394_copy_2016x1512.thumb.jpg.119cbc494721c799a6d9159faf68d718.jpg

My best brisket to date. The point is being saved, the pictures are of the flat. It's very moist in the middle, the edges are a bit dry but that's to be expected with a 17 hour cook.

I'm going to try the point a bit later.

Big bbq setup for maiden run in quite a while, been using the little one for burgers/steak/chicken but lockdown saw me stop doing the bigger cooks.

Can’t beat pork for value, got a really good taste the diff rolled shoulder joint in Sainsburys for just under £7.

Ignore all the cooking instructions, do this low around 160c for 3 hours then raise the temp when the boulanger spuds go in for a couple of hours.

the primo kamado is so gentle cooking offset like this, the times are quite long.

best crackling every time and really moist juicy almost fall apart pork

4E9DE0B1-C210-4639-960B-46F0A258E7FE.thumb.jpeg.ae0985c16016c1fe47664eb3ff48034c.jpeg

9 hours ago, OnionNon said:

@Gotters are you cooking indirect via offset, instead of using a heat deflector on the kamado - or is there a half stone in there?

the big Primo has a divider that lets you easily split the firebox - so yes in that pic indirect with no deflector needed there as the heat on the left only, the food in pic is sat above an empty half of the firebox

it’s a nice flexible setup as being so big even a half load happily burns for hours with no attention, it comes with deflectors but not needed when using like that.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

So I asked for some BBQ advice on here last year, and then we decided to get the 57” Weber kettle for the in laws as a gift and get one for ourselves if it was good. They barely used it (until this year and they now love it) and our purchase fell by the wayside, but we’re determined to get one this year. 

I currently have in my basket:

-57cm kettle

-chimney accessory thing

-18” wooden brush for cleaning

Is that the best brush to buy? And can anyone recommend a decent food thermometer and which briquettes I should be using? Obviously I don’t want lighter fluid soaked ones, as I’ll have the chimney, but other than that know nothing about it. 

do you want your thermometer to work so you can check stuff without opening the lid, or just a Thermopen style thing you can stab into the meat quickly and get an instant read?

I use whatever "restaurant grade lumpwood" charcoal I can get, I prefer that to briquettes in nearly all cases.

1 hour ago, milko said:

do you want your thermometer to work so you can check stuff without opening the lid, or just a Thermopen style thing you can stab into the meat quickly and get an instant read?

I use whatever "restaurant grade lumpwood" charcoal I can get, I prefer that to briquettes in nearly all cases.

I’m not sure really. Is the constant one for smoking? If the price difference isn’t huge, it would be nice to have in case we try our hands at that. 

We had a cheap thermopen recently and it just stopped working for no apparent reason. Looking on Amazon, none of them look particularly high quality. 

I use the Weber briquettes - very consistent and long lasting. The Weber lumpwood  isn’t as good imo - it’s not chunky enough. My local place had a batch of kamado joe big block lumpwood and that has been very good. 

I could use either in any scenario but I like briquettes for low and slow, and lumpwood for high temps. 

I have this thermometer - does the job just fine since 2017 or so: https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B012ADXZF6?psc=1&ref=ppx_pop_mob_b_asin_title#

I've never liked things like heat beads or briquettes, at best small and don't last that long at worst full of impurities and don't last that long.

Years ago I spoke to 'Lord Logs' who is one of the charcoal gurus and supplied a lot of London's BBQ places - he advised for long cooks to use a mix of lump wood and hex style engineered logs

Oxford charcoal have a good mix of stuff

https://www.oxfordcharcoal.co.uk/product-category/all-briquettes

I have a Thermapen which does the job for me and when I'm doing slow 'n low I just open it up quickly to check how things are and get a reading every now and then, it's been fine. Having something like this is just handy in general for checking you've got any meat you're cooking is just right. My dad (who I bought a 57" weber kettle for a couple of months ago) has a cheapo knock-off thing and it's horrible, takes ages to get a reading, basically useless. He also has a wired one like Kingpin links to which is a-OK, fortunately.

If you do want a Thermapen, https://www.amazon.co.uk/SuperFast-Thermapen-Professional-Thermometer-Sherbert/dp/B076DGSTQB/ this particular colour appears to be on-sale right now.

With that said, if somebody got me some funky wireless thing as a gift I'm sure I'd welcome the convenience given that I'm confident my coals are right. Checking temps from the comfort of my recliner sounds nice.

On coals - I got some Weber briquettes to do the 'modified minion' method of slow and low, it worked great and being able to count briquettes helps make it straightforward. Once I'd done it once I felt confident setting up the same thing with lumpwood, which I prefer for general use and having a massive sack of that around already I don't really want to be filling my shed with yet more at the same time. There's no wrong answer really so long as you're not using the cheap crappy stuff, but cheap lumpwood just burns fast and is annoying, cheap briquettes make your food (and everything else) stink as well.

I have a Thermopen, and it is indeed really good. However, since getting a Meater+ I don’t barely use it. Meater is like cheating for cooking - ideal for joints in the oven too.

yeah that's what I'm talking about - someone buy me one of those! It's always just been slightly above my impulse price, but I should probably just get over it.

I like the look (and price) of the one Kingpin posted. That Meater one looks cool, but way too expensive. 

That modified minion thing is interesting, but I can’t see myself having the patience to do a 9h cook!

You just whack it on before breakfast, check in a couple of times through the day to make sure all is progressing correctly, and then eat it for dinner! There are shorter time ones though, I did a brisket in that way which was amazing.

• 4 weeks later...

I've got a big Primo XL Kamado and a much smaller Joe Jr.

The big one is brilliant for longer cooks and even after having it for 9-10y maintains strong temp control whilst sipping coals over a long period of time, downside is it takes a bit longer to heat up so would be less inclined to use for quick midweek cooks. But it's perfect for when you need more grill space or want to do something longer.

The Joe Jr excels at smaller quick cooks as the little gril makes it hard to wedge much in, and you can't really manage zones (direct/indirect) - that said I use it 2-3 times a week for dinner and can be ready to put food on it in 10-15m from deciding to fire it up, brilliant for burgers/steak/chops. Can do indirect longer cooks on it with a ceramic deflector but I've found it a bit trickier to maintain a temp as the smaller fire box seems less stable than the big Primo.

@GottersThe Joe Jr looks pretty perfect. Weirdly it’s about £300 cheaper than the Minimax Green Egg, but the bigger Joe seems more expensive than the comparable Green Egg.

Edit: Having said that there are some great deals on the Classic Joe II. Think it’s between that and the Jr. 

Like the idea of taking the Jr camping, but realistically that may never happen.