The Smoking and BBQ thread

1 hour ago, OnionNon said:

I’m overly paranoid about breaking it, having moved from steel to ceramic, but I guess it should cope fine with some lit charcoal being dumped in.

You could pop your paper in some veg oil, then set them alight on the fire grate you have in the Ovo, with the chimney starter on top. Would allow temperature in the Ovo to build uo gradually then. 

If you do end up cracking it at some point in the future, the manufacturers of most of the various kamados are excellent at replacing stuff. 

For further inspiration there's a great group on Facebook called Budget Kamado Owners Club, who share recipes, tips, advice etc. 

I've been using my ceramic Primo for years with no faff needed lighting it from the off - the absolute no-no is any form of liquid lighting fluid as the ceramic is porous.

Beyond that never needed starter chimneys and only time I've needed the looftlighter is when the old coals in the bbq have got damp after a long period left in the thing without being used.

Key to lighting is making sure your coals (old or new) aren't too densely packed and have good airflow, couple of those little wooden wire wool looking things are enough to get it going, leaving the lid up and vent wide open until the flame from them has gone and you can hear the coals crackling.

Impressed with kamado cooking. I need to learn to use less charcoal I think, they hold their heat better than I’m used to. 

Indirect smoked chicken was good, slightly overcooked as I was reluctant to open the lid and check the internal temperature, but the brine kept it nice and moist.  

13 hours ago, OnionNon said:

Impressed with kamado cooking. I need to learn to use less charcoal I think, they hold their heat better than I’m used to. 

Indirect smoked chicken was good, slightly overcooked as I was reluctant to open the lid and check the internal temperature, but the brine kept it nice and moist.  

Have you got a thermometer (beyond the kamado one)? The Inkbird ones are decent and cheap as a starter thermometer (start around £20). I just stick a couple of probes in the chicken and the app beeps when the required temperature has been reached. 

1 minute ago, OnionNon said:

Just the one in the lid, and a Thermapen for manually jabbing in towards the end. 

Are those Inkbirds okay I’m terms of the wire not messing up the felt or anything when the lid is shut?

Totally fine. The gasket seal stops there being any escape of air/heat. I tend to replace the felt every year or so anyway (about a fiver to do so) as you tend to drip stuff on it as you use it. Depending on budget you could go for a Meater+ then there's no wires to worry about. 

Did you check the kamado thermometer before you used it? Sometimes they can be a bit out so always worth having a separate thermometer. 

1 hour ago, The Hierophant said:

What’s that?

As to rubs and sauces I want to make my own so looking for good recipes. 

Smoke for 3 hours, low temp, with rub on your ribs.

Wrap for 2 hours in foil at a higher temp with liquid (apple juice or cider vinegar/sugar/butter etc.)

Baste with sauce & smoke for an hour. 

This explains the premise.

As for homemade rubs/sauces this is a great book. I use a lot of the recipes in there. 

• 4 weeks later...

It’s pulled pork time again. This time it’s 4.5KG so going to do it over night as we’re planning am to eat around 2pm. 

We’re doing pulled pork, Mac & cheese burgers so I’ll probably just reheat the pork when it’s time to assemble the burgers rather than trying to keep it hot. I’m also making it a “wet” one with bbq sauce mixed through the pork prior to serving. Can’t wait!

D4FC4C21-AE4E-455A-969A-B2A28E8FB4A2.jpeg

C66241FB-D519-481F-A104-07A4F9313AA5.jpeg

Did waaaaaaay too much pork. There’s probably about 2kg of leftovers :lol:

I cooked it for 15 hours in the end as we went out and we’re longer than expected. Luckily I ran out of pellets so the smoker switched off rather than burning it to a crisp. I should probably have wrapped it earlier after all but it was still all good. 

DBD9BE36-C7B3-49A6-9609-0DE59EB5ECC7.thumb.jpeg.52b89071140a7803e5c95dc11d026b1a.jpeg

Quick pic of it after I started pulling. I had to take out some of the bark as it was just too well done and really tough. By the time it had a good helping of sweet baby ray’s it was lovely and tender. 

I need to start making my own sauce so I can sauce up big cooks like this without using two entire bottles of sauce. 

The burgers we great, although by the time assembled everyone just got stuck in without taking photos. 

• 2 weeks later...
9 hours ago, Shimmyhill said:

Reds unholy sauce @Jonny5 no need to mess around with making it ;) 

totally agree with this - I've spent a lot of money at Riverside Garden Centre and other places on supposedly the best US imported sauces, and finally settled on Red's as the best, easy to get hold of and cheap but pack a great flavour, they do a couple and are all lovely.

I was thinking of making it not because I was unhappy with the sauces I could buy, but because I'd like a large quantity that was a bit runnier for when making large amounts of pulled pork so its easier to mix it through and coat everything.

I got some Sweet Baby Rays on special offer from Tesco last time which is nice, I'll give Reds a go in future though.