rllmuk
Oracle

The Smoking and BBQ thread

22 hours ago, Gotters said:

wonder if the issue with the Weber is the heat escaping thru the thin metal lid ? I've got my big Primo Kamado up to the insane pizza temps and the thick wall/lid ensures the heat wraps round and cooks down from the top as well as the heat from the stone underneath, more akin to a brick or custom pizza oven. 

Very good point that and likely the case, what kind of temp do you hit for pizza in the Kamado?

The Ooni pizza oven is insane, 500-550c on the stone with flames licking over the top, I can’t get over how quick it does a pizza and have now got  the lust for a fulll size outdoor pizza overnight to add to the bbq collection....

12 minutes ago, Shimmyhill said:

Very good point that and likely the case, what kind of temp do you hit for pizza in the Kamado?

Last time I did pizza was a while back, it was a fascinating experiment, had the bottom and top vents fully open and a full box of charcoal - the fire was burning blue in the centre and had to burp the grill and be very careful as the heat would singe the hairs off your hand/arm. 

Recall it was up around the 450c mark according to the the thermometer in the lid, but not sure how reliable it is up in that range.

They were epic pizzas

Screenshot_29_04_2020__12_20.thumb.jpg.f8d13532d06b8920fe0d977d894c4227.jpg

• Upvote 3

On 28/04/2020 at 13:28, Shimmyhill said:

They are both very good esp when bought out of season, I’ve seen them as low as £20ish but of course as I now want one again they are full price!

You can use a pizza stone on them but like any BBQ they don’t really get any hotter than an oven, even my full size Weber with slow n sear that easily hits 500c+ grill temp didn’t do a pizza as well as I thought, you need the flames licking above it seems and some people add wood for this on a kettle bbq - not an option with a portable one!

Thanks, I’ve seen them both cheaper previously but as the voucher would cover the cost it’s not such a big deal as we need something. Both are OOS now though.

1 hour ago, minstrels said:

I'm looking to spend £50-100 on a bbq. What should I buy?

A second hand Weber 57cm Kettle. 

On 08/05/2020 at 21:11, Jonny5 said:

A second hand Weber 57cm Kettle. 

Would a 47cm be alright?

20 minutes ago, minstrels said:

Would a 47cm be alright?

Sure. Obviously you won’t fit huge chunks of meat in there but it’ll be a quality grill for doing most things. 

I hope it’s closer to £50 than £100 though. 

1 hour ago, Jonny5 said:

Sure. Obviously you won’t fit huge chunks of meat in there but it’ll be a quality grill for doing most things. 

I hope it’s closer to £50 than £100 though. 

I've been keeping an eye on Facebook/Gumtree over the past few weeks for any Weber kettle. 

Found one today that was 57cm and had quite a few extras with it but it was gone by the time I messaged. :(

I got my first on eBay for about £60 I think, and it was a 2 hour round trip to collect it!

Last summer I managed to spot a Weber Performer locally for £120 so grabbed that and sold the other one on for the same £60 I paid for it. :)

Picked up a 57cm kettle today for £40. :D

Can you point me in the direction of a good beginner's guide to BBQing?

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, minstrels said:

Nice one!

This is a good place to start: https://amazingribs.com/more-technique-and-science/grill-and-smoker-setup-and-firing/how-control-temperature-indirect

The two zone setup alone will make your cooking way better than most “normal” peoples.  

After that, how deep down the rabbit hole do you want to go? :D

Edit: Did it come with a chimney starter? A metal tube thingy with a handle? If not, get one. It will make getting the thing lit much much easier. 

12 hours ago, minstrels said:

1. To start a fire, use a chimney starter with some of these. They come in much smaller packs and you can find them at petrol stations, garden centres etc. You only need one of these with your coals. Don't use firelighters with accelerants as they can taint the flavour of the food. 

2. If you want a superb book on BBQ sauces, rubs and marinades, then this is the grand-daddy. 

3. Depending on what meat you are cooking, you might want to invest in a BBQ thermometer. This is the one I use at the moment, ridiculously easy to use. Set the temp you want the meat to reach and the app on your phone will inform you when that temp is reached. Not that important for burgers and sausages, but essential if you want cooked, yet moist whole chicken, pork etc. You can also use it in your oven. I never cook to time, but instead to temperature.

4. Get yourself a pair of BBQ gloves, normally around a tenner a pair. Allow you to pick up grates, burning coals etc. if needs be. I've got a pair of these. Make sure you've got tongs too!

5. Trial and error is the key learning process. The beauty of BBQing is that it's an inexact science. Size and type of fuel, as well as air intake are the key factors to be aware of. 

6. If you're marinading meat, in most cases the longer you can give the meat, the better. 

• Upvote 1

I'd say the biggest single thing you need to learn at the start of BBQ is fire control, loads of youtube videos on it but learning how to set up your charcoal (I totally agree to avoid briquettes or anything with accelerant) is essential.

I''d look into learning about having 2 zones on your grill, its basically just putting coals on one side but gives you a direct area to grill over and an indirect area to do something more akin to oven roasting (but with added charcoal flavour and bbq benefits)

As @Stopharage said it's an inexact science, don't start by trying to do an overnight pork shoulder you need ready for a crowd of 20 (sorry 8, or is it 6, from a single household) at a precise time, it's too much pressure and you need to learn your grill and fire/temp control

14 hours ago, Gotters said:

I'd say the biggest single thing you need to learn at the start of BBQ is fire control, loads of youtube videos on it but learning how to set up your charcoal (I totally agree to avoid briquettes or anything with accelerant) is essential.

I wouldn’t totally avoid briquettes. Good quality ones work well, but avoid the ones from a petrol station or diy store. I like Australian Heat Beads

Thermometer is definitely a big thing, I don't have a fancy bluetooth one (so i have to open the lid) but I use a Thermopen and getting big chunks of meat done just right is easy and satisfying. So much better than trying to guess or use a timer and hope.

17 minutes ago, minstrels said:

Thanks all. Can't wait to get cooking!

Make sure you take pictures! 

On 02/06/2020 at 22:09, The Hierophant said:

I wouldn’t totally avoid briquettes. Good quality ones work well, but avoid the ones from a petrol station or diy store. I like Australian Heat Beads

Second this. Heat beads are absolute magic for their consistency of temp and the astonishing longevity of burn.

I'm meant to be cooking a brisket point and a rack of st louis ribs tomorrow, but I didn't think to check the weather before I ordered the meat and now it's going to be raining and thunderstorms :(

I've seen a lot of love for heat beads on a couple of BBQ forums but I really didn't like them when I used them, I think I've gone a bit hipster 'peak charcoal' though as I get mine from Lord Logs at the London Log Co who supply and advise a lot of the top London BBQ/Smoking joints.

https://shop.londonlogco.com/collections/all

I used to go to their yard to collect it and got advice about how to build a fire using their engineered Ogatan Magik sticks as the base of the fire and then layering in the posher lump wood of choice on top as the flavouring layer.

I realise this is super poncey and don't always layer a fire if knocking up some burgers, but I've just got used to using a mixture of the 2 types in both my bbqs and I know how to control that now - its all about whatever works for you and a fire you can control and like. 

I’ve used briquettes most of the time and when I have tried lump wood it’s usually been crap. 

Where and what should I buy if I just want some decent lump wood charcoal to try out?

Ive tried heat beads in the past too and while they lasted well there was a lot of ash on them which seems to cool them down and then went everywhere when I tried to give them a gentle shake to dislodge it. 

I think the restaurant grade charcoal does a much better job than briquettes. I get mine from Oxford Charcoal.

I've been using some coconut briquettes I got cheap from a supermarket at the end of last summer and they just aren't as easy to control and you seem to need far more to do a long cook.

I managed to cook my brisket and ribs today but it took 6kg of briquettes and I had to keep faffing with the grates to keep the temperature stable. Completely useless post without pictures but I was pretty eager to dig in after 8 hours of cooking, sat in the garden with the smell wafting past my nose.

• Upvote 1

6kg of briquettes for one cook! i have never needed anything like that. 

I use restaurant grade charcoal as well but find it burns hotter so use it for steaks and direct heat.  Heat beads for low and slow and long cooks. 

Yeah they were awesome. Did some sausages last night that were really nice.

Planning on a chicken tikka masala for dinner tomorrow night, tempted to cook the chicken on the BBQ for it. :D

• Upvote 1

I have been reading through this thread with interest and admiration for some of the skills on show. I have a question about people’s use of charcoal/briquettes.

I understand the importance of high quality fuel but wondered how long day a 6kg bag of decent fuel would last? If it only did one big bbq then I am not sure I could justify spending 16 plus quid a time.

How long charcoal lasts is quite variable - its not all made the same in the first place then you have other factors such as outside temp, the temp you’re cooking at and how well insulated your bbq is (less thermal loss means its easier to maintain temps so burns less fuel).

I have a big thick walled ceramic kamado bbq and it can maintain a low and slow temp overnight on the tiniest vent air gap and burns small amounts of fuel, a metal weber will lose far more heat thru its metal lid and burn more maintaining the same temp in the same conditions.

It’s an inexact science this bbq lark.

I eventually ordered some restaurant grade lump wood charcoal from Coals4U yesterday.  I was going to get 2 12kg bags for £17.99 each, but it was £15 for postage for orders under £50 so I just got a third bag instead to qualify for the free shipping.  I hope its good as I now have 36Kg of charcoal on the way...

Has anyone used the Weber briquettes? 

I am (hopefully) moving house in the summer and am having to hang fire on a new BBQ until then. Although I did cave in and buy myself the Weber go anywhere as we are moving to near the sea and I plan to lots of beach bbqs. 

I have fallen down a Weber rabbit hole in YouTube and plan to get the 57cm premium kettle. Don’t think I can get away with spending more than £250 on a BBQ.