rllmuk
Oracle

The Smoking and BBQ thread

I’ve got my BBQ Masterclass at Riverside today. Quite excited to try some new things, feel like I’m in a bit of a rut bbq wise. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Jonny5 said:

I’ve got my BBQ Masterclass at Riverside today. Quite excited to try some new things, feel like I’m in a bit of a rut bbq wise. 

enjoy, you'll find it very hard to resist the shop, every bit of Weber BBQ gear and accessories going and a huge assortment of imported rubs and sauces (at import prices) - I always walk out with way too much stuff and a desire to buy giant garden umbrellas and furniture.

• Upvote 2

https://www.riversidegardencentre.co.uk/weber-bbq/bbq-cooking-events.html

That place? Never knew it was so popular, it's about 15-20 minutes from me.

Had a barbecue today, for my daughter's birthday, I didn't have a chance to shop for the meat myself so I ended up with a ton of chicken thighs, burgers and sausages. I went to the local halal butcher and bought a few racks of lamb ribs, they turned out nice.

I used the Crispy Grilled Cornell Chicken recipe on Amazing Ribs and it was excellent. Would definitely recommend it.

That looks like an English rolled brisket, way less fat innit than a US style one. How did it turn out?

Edit: I’ll get some pics and a write up on the course up soon, had to strip out a kitchen & utility room today so been a bit busy!

Pretty well considering it was only a 5 hour smoke with no premarinade.  Decent smoke flavour, I’d probably go for another couple of hours and prep overnight. 

Just finished trimming and curing/packing 10Kg of brisket flat for pastrami - a week in the fridge and then onto the smoker next weekend. Quite nervous about this one :)

• Upvote 1

We're cooking for 25 or so. There's another 9Kg of brisket point destined for burnt ends and a couple of pork butts, too.

22 hours ago, Cras said:

We're cooking for 25 or so. There's another 9Kg of brisket point destined for burnt ends and a couple of pork butts, too.

Need pics.

On 29/07/2019 at 14:45, stephen129 said:

Need pics.

Will do. Lost one of the six pieces of pastrami in the cure, annoyingly - clearly spoiled when I rinsed it off. Still, plenty left.

So where to start. My son had a crappy night. So he joined me for getting the bbq ready. Got all switched on and ready to go and realised next doors bedroom window (near the bbq) was open so decided to move the bbq to the end of the garden to avoid smoke/noise. 

Not an easy thing to do when carrying a baby that cries when you put him down and the bbq weighs 100kg. 

Got that sorted and plugged in, the bbq is smoking like a chimney and the breeze is blowing straight into my neighbours window. Grab Austin and run upstairs grab fan plug in and sort that issue. 

Temp of the bbq is going up faster than expected, yank off grill grate and moving the bbq has dislodged a bunch of pellets which have now all ignited in the firebox. 

Chuck Son to Wife (promptly waking up Daughter in the process). 

Turn off bbq remove pellets from firebox. Set manual temp. Then start the recipe again which then seems to develop an issue about 20 mins in and fails to maintain a flame, low temp warning and ignition errors. 

Attempt to Empty pellets from
Hopper and a bunch fall onto the floor. 

At this point I abandon ship and whack it in the oven. 

I suspect the augur isn’t being fed properly. When it’s a little later in the morning I’m going to clear out the hopper completely and see if I can sort it.

I said to my daughter I had a bad start to the day “did you set the bbq on fire again daddy?” I nodded. “Don’t worry we all make mistakes” she replied.

• Empathy 1

Some pictures of this weekend.

Meat arrives - some trimming needed!

meat.thumb.jpg.93049c09853b33266322ed81ada52337.jpg

Ron the smoker is loaded up with brisket and pork, just before midnight Friday

ron.thumb.jpg.c013d182613210cc6c4900b062c02def.jpg

Morning check, looking good.

morning.thumb.jpg.889377fa1315f228d7235e2bd36695bf.jpg

• Upvote 2

Brisket and pork wrapped and the pastrami goes in

wrapped.thumb.jpg.fbf38ac27951c376c3e249413926f129.jpg

The pastrami came out great. Next time I'd give it another 12 hours sous-vide, it could have been more tender. Flavour was great

pastrami.thumb.jpg.fa52466b4a4c594618bf0a6ca5c5106a.jpg

Really pleased with the brisket. We learned that the smoker is definitely cooler at the top - it took over 20 hours for the brisket to be done, but it was delicious.

brisket.thumb.jpg.518cad9dee98b05ff4dcfe5771deb6c9.jpg

• Upvote 7

Looks lush, how do you get the crust on a brisket? 

I managed to sort the BBQ issue, cleared the augur by 'clearing' and priming it a bunch of times to force through some half burnt pellets, @Shimmyhill I tried those new pellets you recommended, very good - much improved flavor.

With the traeger, being that the fan generates some noise means that I will need to create a BBQ section at the end of the garden if I want to do a 24 hour smoke.

• Upvote 1

You shouldn't ever need to do 24 hours, that was down to the smoker not being able to keep a consistently high temp with all the meat that was in there. Normally I'd expect to max out a 4kg pork butt at around 14 hours, same for a 3kg brisket cut. But yeah, even those timings means an overnight is often needed.

The bark on the brisket comes naturally as long as you have a decent amount of smoke during the first few hours. That's with a charcoal/wood smoker, I don't really know how the smoke works on a pellet smoker. Rub on the meat was just salt and plenty of ground black pepper.

Yeah, if that's something that worries you then cooking over coals/wood is probably not the right choice

Note though - it's nothing to do with high heat/burning like it would be if burnt in the oven. The crust is entirely from the interaction of hot wet smoke and meat.

I'm not sure if that is correct, I think a lot of particulates and especially hot particulates are carcinogenic if inhaled, not sure it's quite the same if it is ingested.

Of course red meat on its own  does increases cancer risk so why not smoke that shit up.

On 05/08/2019 at 13:00, Cras said:

You shouldn't ever need to do 24 hours, that was down to the smoker not being able to keep a consistently high temp with all the meat that was in there. Normally I'd expect to max out a 4kg pork butt at around 14 hours, same for a 3kg brisket cut. But yeah, even those timings means an overnight is often needed.

The bark on the brisket comes naturally as long as you have a decent amount of smoke during the first few hours. That's with a charcoal/wood smoker, I don't really know how the smoke works on a pellet smoker. Rub on the meat was just salt and plenty of ground black pepper.

Do you wrap to get a 4kg pork butt cooked in 14? Anytime I do 3 or 4kg I’m looking at 18 hours unwrapped are a pretty constant 225.

On 05/08/2019 at 09:35, Oracle said:

Looks lush, how do you get the crust on a brisket? 

I managed to sort the BBQ issue, cleared the augur by 'clearing' and priming it a bunch of times to force through some half burnt pellets, @Shimmyhill I tried those new pellets you recommended, very good - much improved flavor.

With the traeger, being that the fan generates some noise means that I will need to create a BBQ section at the end of the garden if I want to do a 24 hour smoke.

What pellets did you go for? I’m about to do a bulk order of the ones at http://www.liverpoolwoodpellets.co.uk 

I did a spatchcock chicken on it today, chicken just tastes so much better done on the bbq/Traeger than it does in the oven - even did some kinda roasties on it also!

spacer.png

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, Oracle said:

It was the amazon ones you recommended. Let me know how the Liverpool ones do. 

Ahh the cookin pellets ones, I used them today - have had the Liverpool ones before and they are good -  not the heaviest smoke but I like them like that!

spacer.png

I love the Traeger but there is something special about charcoal cooking, did this on the bone pork chop joint thing and it was amazing - using the slow n sear so hitting temps pellets, gas or ovens can’t get close too hence the crackling....

• Upvote 2