rllmuk
Oracle

The Smoking and BBQ thread

Wooh! Got a BBQ this Saturday, and I'm taking

2kg pork belly that I'll have pre-braised and pressed, then made into Char Siu kebabs

1.5Kg brisket that's been brining for two weeks, and I'll give it 48 hours in a water bath before sticking it on the BBQ

2kg skirt steak/pork shoulder/bone marrow burgers

2 big jars of homemade kimchi

And I've been on a diet for 3 weeks, so I'll probably eat the lot myself!

Sounds incredible.

Please take photos.

Sounds incredible.

Please take photos.

The pork and the beef were exceptional, if I do say so myself. The burgers were a bit meh. I think they were overcooked.

I only got a picture of the beef, as the pork was disappearing off the BBQ as fast as I was cooking it.

Awp86dVCMAAeB94.jpg

• Upvote 2

Despite the rain being what I can only refer to as biblical, I'm going to call that a success.

Lamb and ribs hot off the grill

post-12998-0-54607500-1348421558_thumb.j

Check out the smoke ring!

post-12998-0-23127000-1348421581_thumb.j

Yeah. A success.

post-12998-0-10208800-1348421595_thumb.j

• Upvote 4

It's the first time I've tried to do it on a BBQ. It worked a lot better than expected, keeping the temperature in the right range and keeping the moisture up wasn't too much of a faff. I ended up topping up the coals twice and topping up the wood chips three times, over the course of 7 hours.

BBQ plans for 2013 then?

I'm going to do th BBQ Explosion for a bit of fun, and going to try smoking ribs and pork shoulder (in-direct heat method).

Also, I've found the that supplier who supplies hot-dogs to 'BubbleDogs' frequents Cirencester Farmer's Market twice a month, so will get some proper hot dogs on the grill.

I did rib of beef joint and smoked pulled pork shoulder last year, so this year I feel like I should at the very least tick off the other major boxes: brisket and rack of pork ribs. I bought a Smokenator for my Weber kettle at the end of year I haven't used yet, so I'm very much looking forward to getting to try it out. I also got a meat grinder for Christmas so I'm going to do some burgers from scratch, i.e. starting with steaks, and experiment with some different meat mixes for them.

BBQ plans for 2013 then?

I'm going to do th BBQ Explosion for a bit of fun, and going to try smoking ribs and pork shoulder (in-direct heat method).

Also, I've found the that supplier who supplies hot-dogs to 'BubbleDogs' frequents Cirencester Farmer's Market twice a month, so will get some proper hot dogs on the grill.

Do you have the name of the trader? The one thing I need for the summer is some proper hot dogs.

I did rib of beef joint and smoked pulled pork shoulder last year, so this year I feel like I should at the very least tick off the other major boxes: brisket and rack of pork ribs. I bought a Smokenator for my Weber kettle at the end of year I haven't used yet, so I'm very much looking forward to getting to try it out. I also got a meat grinder for Christmas so I'm going to do some burgers from scratch, i.e. starting with steaks, and experiment with some different meat mixes for them.

I've not used my smokenator yet, either. I want to try and do a brisket all the way through, rather than my previous cook-then-smoke attempts, and I also need to work out how to bake a cake on the BBQ...

We had exactly one damned BBQ last summer after barbecuing pretty much every damned day the summer previous. That is definitely getting rectified this year.

Same here. I'm barbequeing in the garage if I have to.

I'll be hopefully moving shortly and will have my first garden for 15years - top of my shopping list is a ceramic barbecue grill for those long and slow smoke cooks

anybody here got any personal 1st hand experience of big green eggs, kamodo joes or primo XLs ?

I've been hitting the web and youtube but would be interested in any personal anecdotes or recomendations

ta much

sure are expensive, I first saw them on BBQ pitmasters on netflix, where a lot of the competition guys used them

all the ceramic grills are very expensive but seem to do a lot more than a straight smoker or barbq will

looking at £800+ before you start adding indirect heat shields, rib racks etc

Personally, I must say I'm very happy with my Weber kettle, mind. I've done 10+ hour smoking sessions with it without too much bother. And it was a lot less than £800!

Personally, I must say I'm very happy with my Weber kettle, mind. I've done 10+ hour smoking sessions with it without too much bother. And it was a lot less than £800!

yeah its a lot of money, I'm sure you can get great results on all sorts of gear, some people use old oil drums.

for me its partly a 'lifestyle' thing too as I'm having a nice deck built and think it will look cool out there !

Six racks of baby back ribs. Membrane removed, excess fat trimmed, rubbed down with oil, seasoned with rub. Currently resting in the fridge overnight. Tomorrow, they go on the smoker for five hours, with a batch of bourbon baked beans set underneath them, soaking in the drippings.

post-19589-0-92758700-1369517992_thumb.j

• Upvote 1

Wickedkit I made some bbq sauce according to a post you made in another bbq thread here some years ago. I have chicken wings marinading in it overnight. This shit better be real.