The Smoking and BBQ thread

Oracle

29 minutes ago, Jonny5 said:

The chicken was supposed to be over the coals for a few seconds each side for some colour. I literally moved it all over and heard the smash of glass and with toddlers charging around had to go deal with it. Just another moment of frustration to add to everything else. 

Fair enough, obv much more important to make sure kids ok.

23 minutes ago, The Hierophant said:

Which spit?

Its the actual Webber one, another mate has a Amazon special that he has used a few times with no issue.

I will defi be getting one, best lamb I have ever cooked - due to the audience I had to go for well done but was still so juicy and did some hasselback spuds in the drip pan that worked really well!

1 hour ago, stefcha said:

@Shimmyhill what was the weight, temp and time you went for? I'll likely be chucking in my lamb leg over the weekend, no spit but not worried about that so much.

It was 2kg bone in, I aimed for around 200 with a probe dangling roughly where the meat was - started at 230 and could hold 200 easily

1 hour ago, Gotters said:

I'm always intrigued by rotisserie - I get the sales pitch that the rotation means the thing self bastes all the time but does it result in a different end product ?

Honestly best lamb I've ever had - it was as juicy as rare lamb but well done, I would have preferred it rare no doubt but mind is made up - I have to have one!

On 6/9/2017 at 14:20, Jonny5 said:

Meat delivery arrived! IMG_9145.thumb.JPG.1f78fe2e1a24d0580c2bad6fe0a34574.JPG

4kg bone in Boston butt, 2 different hotdogs and some regular sausages. The pork looks great with very little fat needing to be removed before I can cook it.  Need to figure out how long it'll take to cook and how early I need to get up tomorrow. 

Oh, I also saw on Facebook that B&Q are selling Weber chimney starters for 50% off. Grabbed one this morning for £12 so well happy with that. 

Where did you get the hotdogs from?  They look incredible!

I got some sausages from Ginger Pig last week and they've always been really good, but seemed to have upped their game even more and we thought they were amazing this time.

Had Turner & George and all the local butchers home made efforts and these were a level above everything else.

Never found the holy grail of sausages again though in GP, the pork black pudding and strawberry - sounds horrible but they were wonderful and only saw them once, got the stuff in to make sausages with my kitchen aide but never got round to it, this will be the first thing I try to make.

This weekend I'm planning to do some 3-2-1 ribs. 3h with rub indirect, 2h wrapped in foil with some sugar/juice (going Johnny Trigg style) then 1h open again sauced.

7 hours ago, Gotters said:

I got some sausages from Ginger Pig last week and they've always been really good, but seemed to have upped their game even more and we thought they were amazing this time.

Had Turner & George and all the local butchers home made efforts and these were a level above everything else.

Never found the holy grail of sausages again though in GP, the pork black pudding and strawberry - sounds horrible but they were wonderful and only saw them once, got the stuff in to make sausages with my kitchen aide but never got round to it, this will be the first thing I try to make.

This weekend I'm planning to do some 3-2-1 ribs. 3h with rub indirect, 2h wrapped in foil with some sugar/juice (going Johnny Trigg style) then 1h open again sauced.

I love that I know who this is!

Sausages, we had an amazing spiced sausage at Disneyland Paris of all places, literally the best sausage I have ever had but no idea what it was - will try some Ginger Pig as have heard many a good thing about them but if anyone can recommend a top notch spiced (but not red hot) sausage I'm all ears!

On 15/06/2017 at 07:34, The Hierophant said:

Hmm when I do lamb I tend to slow cook it a bit longer than that - say three hours. Definitely not rare but fantastic nonetheless. 

Now I need a spit as well as a slow n sear. 

Shoulder I always do but prefer leg hot and fast, the spit defi made it tho!

@Shimmyhill Ginger Pig usually have 6 plus varieties on display with a couple of spicier options, don't think you go wrong with any of them, they are superb. 

my sausage lessons over the years are don't prick the skins (you want to keep the fat in basting the meat) and cook indirect, they don't need to be cremated over a direct flame

how can any of us self proclaim to be pit-masters if we don't know about Johnny Trigg, Myron Mixon, Aaron Franklyn etc !

I've been trying to work out for a while what the different bits of ribs actually are and why they look different on the youtube videos I watch to what I get in the butchers

This diagram helps a lot, St Louis cut ribs which they use most often are spare ribs (which he sells me) with the extra bit of pork belly meat removed - now very clear to me, I've put a set of full spare ribs on today but now know exactly what to ask for if I want St Louis cut.

Screenshot_17_06_2017__12_46.thumb.jpg.8d9f4fcdea8b4f0a485a2c21117dd052.jpg

On 17/06/2017 at 12:37, And said:

Today I will be attempting smoked duck. It's been brined overnight in what is effectively salty tea. 

I will update later 

Hmmm. Well it looked and smelled great, was very moist and tasty but a bit tough to break up. 

I have never cooked ribs on the BBQ, not sure why not as Stacy loves ribs - I have watched at least 300 vids and various BBQ shows so know the method but never really see them in the wild that look worth buying, will have to speak to butchers.

I do however have one of these Morrisons tomahawk steaks to cook, I will be using the homer.jpg shortly after I feel!

The ribs I cooked were the full spare rack and were totally delicious, the bones just fell out., They had the tips/cartilage and extra belly meat on them too which makes eating them a bit trickier - I now know what to do as what I really want are the classic St. Louis ribs on a bone to pick up and gnaw at.

you can order proper ribs online at JL Butchers - he does loads of BBQ cuts.

Last week we put our Pizza steel on the BBQ and tried doing pizza that way. We got the steel up to a decent temp so the bottom was perfect but it wasn't really keeping the heat inside the lid to do the top. 

I think we need to try it again with a bit more coal and position it to the sides so that the heat isn't all being absorbed by the steel but i'd say that's the best we've managed to do for home made pizza so far, we can't get it hot enough in the oven without the whole thing shutting off.

21 minutes ago, Gaz said:

you can order proper ribs online at JL Butchers - he does loads of BBQ cuts.

Last week we put our Pizza steel on the BBQ and tried doing pizza that way. We got the steel up to a decent temp so the bottom was perfect but it wasn't really keeping the heat inside the lid to do the top. 

I think we need to try it again with a bit more coal and position it to the sides so that the heat isn't all being absorbed by the steel but i'd say that's the best we've managed to do for home made pizza so far, we can't get it hot enough in the oven without the whole thing shutting off.

Will give them a look, cheers.

With Pizza and lid, bank some coals at the back and add some actual wood logs - you will get insane heat from that.

I managed to trim my ribs St Louis style, it was pretty easy. Taking the membrane off was the hardest part. Cooked them in the oven at 130 for a couple of hours and then a quick blast on the BBQ, turned out well!

st_louis.jpg