IGNORED

The Smoking and BBQ thread

Oracle

Two bbq days for us this weekend, big Franks from big apple hot dogs and burgers from JL butchers. 

JL butchers are great for bbq cuts, particularly their ribs which are huge and meaty, a world away from the supermarket racks. Might need to order some for next weekend. 

We've got a huge turkey in the freezer I need to smoke but remembering to defrost it with enough time to brine before it goes in the smoker seems to be a bigger problem than I expected. 

I'm a beef hotdog man. For the longest time, I couldn't put my finger on why I preferred US hotdogs, and then it magically became clear!

You can get them from quite a few jewish delis round here, and Costco.

They say you can get an Uber to collect your order on a Friday, and it turns out the address is a deli near Kings Cross station.  I might wander up there one day and see if they stock them in the deli or just drop off orders there for collection.

1 hour ago, Oracle said:

Run out of gas for my BBQ, can't decide whether to use this as the impetus to swap out my rusting BBQ 17 year old BBQ for a shiny new model. 

And coming to the darkside? (charcoal)

Went to a friends for a BBQ last night and they had an Outback gas grill.  The food was tasty and all but peering into the grate and seeing three gas burners under metal diffuser things just felt wrong. 

That looks like a good way to spend your weekend. 

Naths pork butt sure is taking a long time...

I forgot to take after pics. Rest assured very tasty.

First time I'd done it in the PBC though and it fell off the hooks because it got to tender. Next time I'll take it off sooner and butcher paper it.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...

I've finally got round to doing a barbecue essential shop - Got some Weber briquettes, a chimney starter and firelighters. Tomorrow is the big day.

I need some thing to go with the meat - Anyone got tips for potatoes, in particular baby maris pipers?

Some recipes online say boil them first, some say don't. Before I read the recipes I was just planning on coating them in olive oil and plenty of seasoning and wrapping them in foil before chucking them on. First of all off to one side with the lid on for 15 to 20 minutes and then with the lid off and a bit more central when I cook the meat for another 10.

Never done spuds on the BBQ, let me know how it goes! (I'd probably microwave em first to get them started btw). 

I did sausages on the Traeger last weekend, they came out great even though I didn't really expect them to. Was presently surprised. 

I've done big jacket spuds on indirect heat, unwrapped - chuck them for ages, 2h plus with something big usually. they were amazing, totally different proposition to an oven spud, the insides went like mash almost.

Also tried hasselbacks with smaller spuds (where you slice them up like a plate draining rack but not quite all the way through) - spray some oil and rub on then so they a bit more flavoured than a straight jacket (especially if you chuck some grated cheese on at end) and get a bit crispier/drier and cook far quicker

Hassleback-potato-58edb99e-f2f2-41dc-869

For anyone interested - In the end I boiled the potatoes them for 5 minutes, then drained and let them go cold.

I threw them in a bowl with some chunky cut mushrooms, onions, some of those really small peppers (whole), roughly chopped garlic, a chopped red chili and some olive oil. Mixed it up till everything was coated in the oil and then added salt and pepper.

I tipped it onto a big piece of foil and folded it up into a sealed parcel. I stuck it off to one side for 20 minutes with the lid on, and then another 20 minutes sort of over the coals with the lid off while I cooked other things.

Only minor thing is I was a bit heavy handed with the oil so there was a bit too much in the parcel when I opened it. Tasted bloody great though, I'd definitely do them again, maybe with bits of chorizo chucked in for good measure next time.

3 days &  3 bbqs, we've eaten every day off it.

Saturday evening was some nice pork chops, bit of sausage meat on the side and Hasselback spuds, then just dropped the temp down down to 225f (which takes a couple of hours on a ceramic) and put on Saturday evening a 4kg bone in pork butt (from Turner and George). Did no injections or anything special, just trimmed off a bit of excess fat and gave it a good rub (with a nice Rufus Teague rub) then left it with a probe in to see how long it would take to hit the magic 195f mark for pulled pork.

18h later the alarm on the temp monitor went and we had a mountain of the most amazing pulled pork to work through (sorry no pics, we were too excited) - the bone just pulled out clean after a 45m rest foiled in a Cambro and it was quite exceptional - loads of little portioned up baggies in the freezer now for pulled pork on demand (freezer and microwaves really really well)

Had placed a very full load of charcoal in at the start on Saturday before the first dinner and by the time the pulled pork was ready it had been going constantly for 22h - had barely used half the charcoal - ceramics are super fuel efficient.

Finally today knocked up some quick fajitas, veggie basket of peppers and onions and some nice skinless chicken covered in a spicy rub,

Who says BBQs are just for sausages and burgers (though those are good too), not turned the oven on once this weekend and with a bit of thought you can do your mains and sides on it no problem.