The Smoking and BBQ thread

Oracle

Yeah I was tempted with one that had smart phone app control but it was tiny compared to the Traeger for the same money. 

They were good, not amazing but tender and came away from the bone easily. Not a huge amount of meat on them though. I think a lot of that was down to the cheap meat I started with. 

simple technique - just score and salt the pork as usual - nothing special needed there, don't need to do the night before, just 45m I'd say before cooking.

get your coals going and up to 180c ish, the trick is to give it a few mins skin side down directly over the heat (5-10m will depend how far from heat you are) , with the grill position as high as possible away from the coals (i.e. not too close to the heat), my Primo lets me flip my grill grates and stack them to get a good 20-25cm away from the heat source.

the skin will start to crackle quite quickly, after only a few mins, this is akin to recipes that say start your oven high then turn it down after. Once it starts to colour a little and get some good heat in it I then chuck it indirect for the rest of its cooking time at about 180c. If you need to, and every pig is different, just raise the temp a bit near the end if your crackling isn't quite where you'd like it to be. Something like rolled shoulder has a lot of fat so is very tolerant to a bit longer or bit more heat.

On 26/03/2017 at 07:48, Gotters said:

if anybody asks me from now on 'why do you keep going on about your crackling on the bbq' I will show them this picture.

crackling.thumb.jpg.06f0f54a3ea27322ea7fbce79ace1fc2.jpg

Dang!

You cant beat the BBQ for crackling, I'm about to do a small bit of belly pork so have done the cracking dance to your photo and will shortly give an offering to the coals!

@Jonny5 we need updates, pics and updates...

It was good, with a small hiccup along the way.

I was paranoid about running out of pellets in the smoker overnight so filled it to the brim before bed (1230am). I went down at 6am to check on it and the smoker had stopped and was cold. The probes were showing the meat at around 70 degrees so not sure how high they went and how long it was off.

Checking the hopper showed that where I'd put so much in it had formed a barrier and used up the pellets underneath without letting the others drop. As soon as I touched the pellets they collapsed to fill up the void underneath. I fired it back up again and left it too it. Within a couple of hours the pork was sitting at a stable 95 degrees while the beef was at about 85. They both stayed on the grill until 2pm when I removed them, covered in foil and left to rest for an hour. So 17 hours total cook time with an unknown length of break in the middle. 

The pork was amazing and all 5kgs went in about 45 mins. The beef was also really nice and juicy and tender with an incredible smoke ring. It dries out really quickly once cut though so wasn't as big a hit, still have about a third if that left. 

I dont have any any pics I'm afraid, was running late and desperate to feed people!

i had read that pellet smokers could suffer from jams occasionally, these long cooks always more fraught, I've had a full firebox of charcoal with a battery powered temp gauge and blower go out on me in the middle of the night as the batteries conked out in the cold, the panic when you come down and find the temp lost isn't fun, but apart from lost time the meat usually recovers

your experience of brisket same as mine, it dries super quickly the second you cut it and I'm on verge of thinking the payoff not worth the effort now, have to try these things though.

19 hours ago, Jonny5 said:

It was good, with a small hiccup along the way.

I was paranoid about running out of pellets in the smoker overnight so filled it to the brim before bed (1230am). I went down at 6am to check on it and the smoker had stopped and was cold. The probes were showing the meat at around 70 degrees so not sure how high they went and how long it was off.

Checking the hopper showed that where I'd put so much in it had formed a barrier and used up the pellets underneath without letting the others drop. As soon as I touched the pellets they collapsed to fill up the void underneath. I fired it back up again and left it too it. Within a couple of hours the pork was sitting at a stable 95 degrees while the beef was at about 85. They both stayed on the grill until 2pm when I removed them, covered in foil and left to rest for an hour. So 17 hours total cook time with an unknown length of break in the middle. 

The pork was amazing and all 5kgs went in about 45 mins. The beef was also really nice and juicy and tender with an incredible smoke ring. It dries out really quickly once cut though so wasn't as big a hit, still have about a third if that left. 

I dont have any any pics I'm afraid, was running late and desperate to feed people!

Good to hear it recovered well, I have been looking at pellet smokers today but part of me thinks I would miss some of the drama of charcoal smoking - I am getting a smoker this year so have been looking at loads and am pretty much down to a WSM or Traeger at this point but then I am so tempted by a BGE or Kamado Joe..

One thing is for sure having used my Weber all year and several times in the winter/rain I have no use for my gas grill anymore and its just taking up space I could fill with this years big purchase!

I also totally forgot to take a pic of the pork belly I did yesterday, as ever it was great but didnt quite nail the crackling so had to go skin down at the end to finish it off.

I also used the Weber kettle I got second hand late last year for the first time with the slow and sear.  The pellet grill is great but I wouldn't want it as the only grill. Sausages on the Weber always turn out great. 

My trusty Outback gas bbq that I got 17 years ago is starting to rust away and they no longer make spare parts for it :(. It the main 'firebowl' that is starting to have larger unplanned sections of daylight.

This means I'm on the look out for a new gas bbq, I've seen combo bbq's in the USA with an integrated smoker but not having much success finding a decent one here in the U.K.

I have a pulled pork on the go, using the slow n sear on the Weber and I have nailed the temp -  coming up to 2 hours at a solid..

File%2014-04-2017,%2011%2037%2016.jpeg?d

Put from 40 mins ago and still a nailed on 225f

Just a quick peek to make sure still had water, honest...

File%2014-04-2017,%2014%2012%2039.jpeg?d

Edited by Shimmyhill

Did some practice earlier in the week, seeing how possible it was to smoke on a mate's enormous hand-built barbecue. Keeping the temp up was a real challenge so the bark didn't really develop as much as I'd like, but the smoke flavour was well developed and the meat was tender and delicious. We did short ribs and lamb shoulder, a 7 hour cook.

IMG_4599.JPG