The Smoking and BBQ thread

Oracle

39 minutes ago, Jonny5 said:

Didnt see this until after I'd started. Have had the vents closed since starting and it's running way too hot. I've tried taking lit coals out and water sprays but it's still sticking around 350 rather than 250. At this point I'm going to leave it to smoke for a while before wrapping in foil and sticking it in the oven. 

Try to not open the lid as you are adding oxygen and making it hotter - vent adjustments can take 10 mins to settle and make a difference but you should be able to get it back closer to 225 - more 275 I found with minion!

Dont fully shut the vents as you starve the coals and will get smoke of a sort you don't want!

It hit 250 internal after 2 hours smoking so wrapped it and transferred to the oven. It's been in 45 mins now and there's an amazing smokey BBQ sauce type smell in the kitchen so I'm guessing it was in the smoke long enough. 

Meat is 185 internal now with the oven at 250 so doesn't seem to have stalled yet. I kinda hope it does stall at some point as otherwise I don't know if it'll be tender enough. 

Oh yeah, next door woman had a shout out the window about why did I have to burn my rubbish and her daughter has asthesma and I'm killing her. 

20 mins later her 30  year old daughter is sat in their garden puffing away on a fag. 

19 minutes ago, Jonny5 said:

It hit 250 internal after 2 hours smoking so wrapped it and transferred to the oven. It's been in 45 mins now and there's an amazing smokey BBQ sauce type smell in the kitchen so I'm guessing it was in the smoke long enough. 

Meat is 185 internal now with the oven at 250 so doesn't seem to have stalled yet. I kinda hope it does stall at some point as otherwise I don't know if it'll be tender enough. 

Bugger. It's already at 201 now. 

42 minutes ago, Jonny5 said:

Bugger. It's already at 201 now. 

203 is magic number, when it hit is I would be tempted to warp it in foil with some of the juices and wrap it in a load of towels and ideally in a cool box as it will keep warm for ages.

There is a hot and fast method to doing a brisket so you may luck out!

image.jpeg

The weather played havoc with the actual BBQ but at least the beef was all good. Many complements and questions about how it was done so I'm happy with that. 

This is what happened minutes after I lit the chimney of coal for the BBQ proper:

image.jpeg

The coals were ok but by the time the weather calmed down enough to actually do any bbqing the coals weren't hot enough. The chicken kebabs ended up on the griddle pan and the sausages in the oven. By the time it was served the brisket had cooled a little more than id have liked and it felt like a lot of the moisture had escaped. It was still melt in the mouth soft, but quite dry. 

1 hour ago, Jonny5 said:

image.jpeg

The weather played havoc with the actual BBQ but at least the beef was all good. Many complements and questions about how it was done so I'm happy with that. 

This is what happened minutes after I lit the chimney of coal for the BBQ proper:

image.jpeg

The coals were ok but by the time the weather calmed down enough to actually do any bbqing the coals weren't hot enough. The chicken kebabs ended up on the griddle pan and the sausages in the oven. By the time it was served the brisket had cooled a little more than id have liked and it felt like a lot of the moisture had escaped. It was still melt in the mouth soft, but quite dry. 

Juicy brisket with the smoke and flavour is the holy grail, 2 out of 3 is outstanding on first go :)

Having seen your BBQ (B&Q i think from the pic) you will likely struggle to keep the temps low without some modding of the BBQ to seal it up but mainly as it has much less volume so will be harder to control the heat - makes your result even more impressive!

It is a B&Q one yeah, I didn't think it would be significantly different to a Webber but I guess it is. It's so much better than anything I've used before and I use it infrequently enough that I doubt I'll bother splashing out on an upgrade. 

So having said that this morning I've spent far too long today gazing at Weber BBQ's.  The Summit looks amazing but is £1500 (!) so thinking I could just stick with my current cheapo BBQ and get a Smokey Mountain to compliment it...

Tellingly the only kettle bbq's that compare to Weber are similar or dearer - they have a design that has been honed over decades and they last for decades - having bought a few over the years I wouldn't buy or advice against a Weber as a start with other brands to consider but no cheaper!

No chance I would get a Summit tho, Big Green Egg or Kamado variant above those even if the reviews of the Summit I have seen have been positive.

Smoker tho yeah, my mate has the WSM 57cm and its huge but epic!

I've got the small (back when they only had two sizes in the range, so I'm not sure if it'd be small or medium in today's range) and it's more than big enough. 

Doddle to use and maintains temperature very well. Look at ProQ too; I've heard they're the same, just much cheaper.

1 hour ago, OnionNon said:

I've got the small (back when they only had two sizes in the range, so I'm not sure if it'd be small or medium in today's range) and it's more than big enough. 

Doddle to use and maintains temperature very well. Look at ProQ too; I've heard they're the same, just much cheaper.

Is that a 37 or 47 do you know - as I say my mate has a 57 and its huge but I wonder if the 37 is too small?

I am on a few BBQ forums and generally the ProQ is liked but most people say the WSM is better but you need to replace the door - people really like UDS (ugly drum smokers) but the more serious go for pellet smokers!

As you can see I have too much time on my hands and as ever the more you read the more confused you get and you end up buying the first one you set your mind on!!

30 minutes ago, Shimmyhill said:

Is that a 37 or 47 do you know - as I say my mate has a 57 and its huge but I wonder if the 37 is too small?

I am on a few BBQ forums and generally the ProQ is liked but most people say the WSM is better but you need to replace the door - people really like UDS (ugly drum smokers) but the more serious go for pellet smokers!

As you can see I have too much time on my hands and as ever the more you read the more confused you get and you end up buying the first one you set your mind on!!

Just found the old invoice and mine's a 37cm (bought for £239.99 with chips, coal, starter and cover in 2014!).

It's big enough for me, but I'm usually only cooking for 2-4. It's got two shelves so don't struggle with it. 

Door is flimsy compared to the rest of it, but I've never had any issues with it so long as I avoid the temptation to take a peek!

On 30 August 2016 at 16:51, Shimmyhill said:

Tellingly the only kettle bbq's that compare to Weber are similar or dearer - they have a design that has been honed over decades and they last for decades - having bought a few over the years I wouldn't buy or advice against a Weber as a start with other brands to consider but no cheaper!

This is so true. My first Webber I inherited from my father. It had been bought in the States in the late 70s. We used it for 30 years and it crossed the Atlantic three times and wasn't particularly well looked after. 

I got a new Webber, put the old one in a skip from which it was fished out by a student who is probably still cooking on it now. 

• 3 weeks later...

Had friends over so got the BBQ out yesterday. 

I did sausages and burgers; a whole chicken beer-can style after marinating it in BBQ sauce for 24 hours but the pièce de résistance was a chateau briand I had rubbed with a spice mix of my own devising. So good. 

image.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...

Snap!

I purchased this half price from a Garden Centre £125 down from £250.  

54510c716ab8d_one-touch-prem-22.png

I have just ordered a load of charcoal, wood chips, and a chimney starter.   

Never smoked anything before, but I intend to do a pork shoulder this weekend.

I have read the basics and low and slow, but any essential tips?

get a bone in shoulder if you can, get butcher to remove the skin (you don't get crackling on pulled, you want bark)

allow lots of time, its a test of patience and won't be ready in 2h - low and slow is all about marvellous chemical reactions happening, fat rendering away, sugars caramelising etc.

if you've got guests coming have a little trial run the day before to learn how to light your bbq and maintain temp - have a look on youtube there are loads of videos on it, its not difficult but needs a little bit of practice to not overshoot and maintain a temp

16 hours ago, Gotters said:

get a bone in shoulder if you can, get butcher to remove the skin (you don't get crackling on pulled, you want bark)

allow lots of time, its a test of patience and won't be ready in 2h - low and slow is all about marvellous chemical reactions happening, fat rendering away, sugars caramelising etc.

if you've got guests coming have a little trial run the day before to learn how to light your bbq and maintain temp - have a look on youtube there are loads of videos on it, its not difficult but needs a little bit of practice to not overshoot and maintain a temp

Cheers boss.  The first cook this weekend is going to be a purely selfish one, a whole shoulder just for me and the wife - I'll be calling it practise.  

With Ribs, I assume you can cook these on their side to maximise cooking space?

Ribs cook fine on their side like toast in a toast rack thing, you just need something to prop them up and let heat between them (like a big toast rack)

Do have a youtube search for 2-zone cooking as for low and slow you'll need an indirect cooking setup (charcoal on one side, meat on the other) - and just experiment, trust what you see, you'll notice hot spots in your grill so just rotate the meat, don't leave one side far away from the coals the whole time, in general its all pretty low maintenance as you don't want to be opening the lid every 10mins and letting the heat out (and air in causing flare ups)

Enjoy, hope it turns out well, make sure you chuck a nice bit of rub on the outside too, they very easy to make up and there are 100s of recipes out there

33 minutes ago, Gotters said:

Ribs cook fine on their side like toast in a toast rack thing, you just need something to prop them up and let heat between them (like a big toast rack)

Do have a youtube search for 2-zone cooking as for low and slow you'll need an indirect cooking setup (charcoal on one side, meat on the other) - and just experiment, trust what you see, you'll notice hot spots in your grill so just rotate the meat, don't leave one side far away from the coals the whole time, in general its all pretty low maintenance as you don't want to be opening the lid every 10mins and letting the heat out (and air in causing flare ups)

Enjoy, hope it turns out well, make sure you chuck a nice bit of rub on the outside too, they very easy to make up and there are 100s of recipes out there

Thanks again.

I have looked up the 'Snake' method which I spotted in this thread, might try that since it looks ideal for a long cook without taking the lid off a lot.

I'll take some pics and post in thread.  

• 3 weeks later...

I keep getting emails from Riverside Garden Centre in Hertford about Traeger pellet grills, they are intriguing but whenever I look around at reviews the word isn't universally positive, often citing build quality and feeder jams with that brand.

THey do look good though