The Smoking and BBQ thread

Oracle

Sorry adrock, missed your posts

i think conventional wisdom on wood for pork is the lighter fruit woods are best, nothing too heavy like mesquite, but of course it's all personal preference

golden rule is not to go too heavy on the smoke wood (especially with white meats), a little smoke can go a long way and using better charcoals (in my experience) is enough to impart a light smokey flavour on their own, without even adding any specific chunks on top (but a couple of small lumps of wood never does any harm)

Lovely, cheers. London Log lady suggested 1/3 RMX with 2/3 Magik. Do you use a chimney to start yours? I've only ever used briquettes and a chimney but this stuff doesnt conform to the sizing of the usual briquettes so might be difficult to stack in the chimney.

yep - they always suggest that kind of mix, its what they tell BBQ restaurants all over London too (I follow lord logs on twitter and he is a grill adviser to an awful lot of them)

I don't use a chimney, stack it up nicely (not too tight as you need airflow) then use natural firelighters near the top - number depends on if I'm going for a very hot fire and large cooking surface (for direct cooking or pizza) or want low and slow for indirect.

Definitely need to do some experimenting then. I think tonight might have to be a trial run, nothing worse when trying to cook something big and you're fighting the temperature. Had it happen to me once or twice before, mainly because of cheap crap briquettes foisted upon me. I'm going to be going for indirect cooking for most of the day then some steak and other bits later on, need to work out just how much I need because usually a chimney full of briquettes lasts me a fair few hours and gets the temp slightly on the high side for longer cooks.

Dry run tonight has been very frustrating. The magik briquettes are a nightmare to get completely white. Tried the natural fire lighter over a pile of them and that was a non starter.

Then got my chimney out and that worked a lot better. The problem is the lump wood burns a lot quicker and easier than the magik.

I'm going to have to use my smaller chimney to get the lump wood going separately after the magik is well on its way.

I cook indirectly more often than not but when doing direct I never bother to get the magik all over grey like a briquette, if you need a large surface area for grilling you'll need more of it lit than indirect but I tend to get a couple of areas lit up 'inside' a pile then spread it out a little. It often amazes me on a long cook how I'm getting so much heat for so long out of what essentially looks like a pile of unlit charcoal

it burns very hot and I get enough surface area to cook a good number of steaks or chops on

i don't use briquettes, unless you regard the majic as a briquette.

I tend to use majic on a very long overnight cook when I want something stable and reliable at the bottom of the fire - if I'm doing something for a few hours during the day it doesn't really matter - plus I rarely use everything I put in so its always a mixture of some fresh and some unused up from the last time.

i suspect like everything once blokes on the internet get hold of it it descends into marginal gains and flat earthers arguing against creationists

There is a school that says that charcoal is carbon and all carbon is the same (meathead on amazing ribs) - Lord Logs and the lump wood movement put forward a totally different argument.

As with all of this best thing to do is try it out and only stick with the things where you can taste or see a difference !

2 hours ago, Gaz said:

He recommends the coco shell briquettes. ProQ have just released these square coco shell briquettes which I'll be buying when my current bag of lumpwood runs out, along with some lumpwood from Oxford Charcoal.

Yeah I saw he said coco shells but dint say what ones, those proQ ones are silly expensive tho - £25 for 10kg is past my 'buy a bag to try' point, that makes Aussie beads look silly cheap! Odd as ProQ are more 'budget' than 'premium' as a brand and you can get much cheaper coco shell briquettes than that!

5 hours ago, Gaz said:

If they last as long as they claim, the price is about the same as I'm paying for lumpwood.  

Aye, you're already paying loads more than any other premium briquettes so I guess its an easier test - I'm in the camp that can't really tell much difference between lump and briquettes in taste just time and price - I wouldn't mind trying some 'higher end' lump but when I can pay £12.99 for 12kg or Restaurant grade lump its hard to justify!

• 2 weeks later...

I bought some Big K lump wood today, panic buy in a local supermarche as I've not had any luck with the Big K stuff I've had before but this was great - wa just doing some hot and fast stuff but it was superb and defi game an extra bit of smokiness to some coiled up sausages I did lid on. 

What is really puzzling is that it lit really well with not much smoke, was nice big chunks and left very little ash - all completely opposite to the pre Big K stuff i'd bought - I wonder if I had a damp bag before or maybe their stuff is really hit and miss!?!

On 21/07/2016 at 21:57, Shimmyhill said:

I bought some Big K lump wood today, panic buy in a local supermarche as I've not had any luck with the Big K stuff I've had before but this was great - wa just doing some hot and fast stuff but it was superb and defi game an extra bit of smokiness to some coiled up sausages I did lid on. 

What is really puzzling is that it lit really well with not much smoke, was nice big chunks and left very little ash - all completely opposite to the pre Big K stuff i'd bought - I wonder if I had a damp bag before or maybe their stuff is really hit and miss!?!

I've not had a lot of problems with it, but then I'm not organised enough to order charcoal specially...

• 2 weeks later...

Its my birthday BBQ next weekend, current menu:

BBQ Explosion (its fun and I've not done it for a while),

SUB -ZERO CHICKEN (boned, rolled, stuffed with as yet undecided filling),

Waffle burgers,

Need to add ribs on this and some funky sides.

1 hour ago, Andy_Why said:

That sounds wonderful. If it's not too much hassle, I'd love details on all of those dishes!

So BBQ explosion is pretty simple:

Make a lattice of streaky bacon,

flatten out a pound of sausage meat (preferably from a butcher) onto the lattice,

sprinkle cheese and fried bacon,

roll it all up,

cover it in BBQ sauce and either BBQ or smoke it until it looks right

SUB-ZERO Chicken:

Remove bones from chicken whilst screaming fatality!!!! 

Stuff with some form of BBQ friendly stuffing (breadcrumps, polenta?, spices chillies, coriander etc)

tie up

cover in suitable marinade

cook

The benefit of the above is that they can be sliced up into burgers or served up on their own.

Using the BBQ loads these days and loving it. today I did a little 1kg Brisket - second one I've done and I kept it rolled and put a rub on that was a shimmy special based around pepper and coffee!!

I used the slow n sear and once I had the temp around what I wanted I left it alone for 8 hours, the only fluctuations with the temp were weather related - either wind or sun and the finishing temp was bang on with plenty of coals left!!

File%2010-08-2016%2C%2023%2005%2040.jpeg

I salted it over night, rub applied a few hours after the salt and cooked in a foil tray - didn't cover it this time as allowed plenty of time and it came out like this

File%2010-08-2016%2C%2023%2004%2050.jpeg

File%2010-08-2016%2C%2023%2005%2017.jpeg

It was so good and the end bits were stunning, falling apart and full of flavour - I imagine thats why the burnt ends are so popular if this is how good my own effort was!

The slow n sear is bloody great now I am used to it and IMO much better than snake method I have done before, I imagine if you added some firebricks to the snake method you would be pretty much there but I am very pleased with it so good purchase IMO.

I am enjoying the smoking/low and slow so much that I am pretty damn tempted to get a smoker now - I do have a spare weber that when I get a new lid from Weber next week may well be getting traded in....