rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
Daley

Game of Thrones - No Book Chat. NONE. The Books don't exist.

Apparently a lot of people downloaded the season opener in the 12 hours after it premiered on HBO. The epicentre of this obviously nefarious activity was Melbourne, and by my maths that means about 1 in every 130 people in Australia's most populous city literally couldn't wait half a day to watch it. We're not even splitting by demographics here. Predictably all the other cities in the top 10 are also outside the US.

This isn't even counting things like streaming or newsgroups either.

Well it's hardly surprising that they didn't wait half a day - they're more than half a day ahead of the US. They'd simply wait until available, watch it, then go to bed.

It's the adverts on sky that annoy me. I don't mine waiting till 9pm.:: but waiting and getting adverts *all the fucking time* is an insult. Made worse by the fact that 2am showing had no adverts. So, as far as I was concerned, recording the 2am and watching on sky+ later was easier, more convenient and higher quality that torrenting...

Except they've now fucked that up

Yeah, it's only fair that the people who make the show get paid. The people who distribute the show, on the other hand, badly need to get with the programme.

It's sort of like if you were buying a car, and the dealership insisted that you had to buy it together with four other cars that you didn't want, and then begrudgingly left it out on the street for you to collect with an empty tank on a work day. Or, you could press a button to steal it, and a guy will drive it around to your house within ten minutes at any time of day and present the key to you on a velvet cushion.

• Upvote 4

It's the adverts on sky that annoy me. I don't mine waiting till 9pm.:: but waiting and getting adverts *all the fucking time* is an insult.

It'd be preferable to have no adverts, of course, but I find waiting until 9:15 or so to start watching and then fast forwarding each ad break to be an acceptable compromise. I did like the ad-free 2am showing though. Was the 9pm one that day not ad-free then? I assumed it would be the same.
  • Upvote 1

I give this episode credit in that I actually understood what was going on for a change. A few lines were clearly there for idiots like me to catch up, and I still can't name most of the side-characters or what they do, but that doesn't matter at the moment. The main appeal is that's a great medieval soap opera but instead of slagging matches people get their eyeballs rammed onto swords. And I'm fine with that. I also like the political/moral shadiness side of things where anybody with noble intentions ends up dead or worse.

But best of all, no stupid wheelchair kid harping on about visions! I was waiting for a moment to go and make a drink the whole episode when he showed up, but had to keep watching.

Downsides are that Jamie isn't as hot with short hair and a giant hook hand, I don't like the dwarf guy having to play nice and hope he gets back to being a sarcastic little sod soon. And this better be the last bloody desert city dragon girl gets to or I'm through with her endless hike.

• Upvote 1

What have you got against Bran? He's also gone north of the wall so for me his story is getting real interesting. I do agree about Daenerys. One of the moments of this show I've been waiting for is seeing her cross the narrow sea and fight for the throne.

Also, someone posted a video for the Game of Thrones "Honest Trailer" a few pages back. Be careful watching it because there is a book spoiler at the end, and a pretty major one. Unfortunately I had already found this spoiler out by clicking on the wrong Twitter links.

Yeah, this was one of the better early-season episodes they've done. They've tended to be a bit directionless and jam-packed with hurried exposition, but this wasn't like that, there were some really good scenes.

So I've never noticed any characters being replaced because I'm not so obsessive like I was with Lost - is there like a guide or gallery for the old and new actors?

So I've never noticed any characters being replaced because I'm not so obsessive like I was with Lost - is there like a guide or gallery for the old and new actors?

Most of the characters that have been replaced were minor roles prior to being recasting. Beric Dondarrion is a good example. He was only seen briefly in season 1 when Ned sends him to kill the Mountain (I think) before being re-introduced in season 3. Others that I know of are the Mountain and Rickard Karstark.

There's also a new actor for Daario (the guy Khaleesi shagged last season). Looks nothing like the previous actor, he's all beardy now. Think we also have yet another new actor for The Mountain (the Hound's fucked-up psychotic brother), but he hasn't been on-screen yet. This will be the third actor to play him, going from this:

conan%20stevens_02.jpg

to

Gregor_2x08.png

to

Thor.jpg

The 1st and 3rd actors for the Mountain are perfect fits (the 1st being the best). The 2nd actor, I didn't even realise he was the Mountain when he was onscreen until I read it later online. He just didn't look psycho enough, so I'm glad they recast him. Shame they couldn't keep the same actor from Season 1 as the character though.

The other issue is if the streaming quality is still as shite as it was at launch. For some reason only Netflix seems able to muster a decent HD picture, despite all the different streaming services being on the same Amazon EC2 cluster.

This is a real problem. We watched it last night around nine o'clock and the picture quality was appalling. Sub-VHS. Out of interest I tried it again this morning outside peak hours and it looked great. Whichever servers we connect to from where we are just aren't up to peak time demand and Sky typically refuse to acknowledge there's a problem.

That aside, it was a decent first episode. I loved the Hounds bits.

The beanpole Mountain was ridiculous. I had no idea it was supposed to be him either, as he never once cut off a horse's head or seemed on the verge of frenzy. You could imagine that version of the Mountain sitting awkwardly at a desk in the Accounting department with a shirt and tie.

• Upvote 3

Because GoT doesn't have enough characters to remember, so they throw in several actor changes to keep you on your toes.

TBH Michiel Huisman is an excellent actor. He was one of the best things about Treme.

As if there was any doubt, it's been officially renewed for seasons 5 and 6.

TBH Michiel Huisman is an excellent actor. He was one of the best things about Treme.

he is, but the other guy had a better look for a weird foreigner in a fantasy setting

Because GoT doesn't have enough characters to remember, so they throw in several actor changes to keep you on your toes.

He'll always be Liam from Nashville to me.

• Upvote 1

he is, but the other guy had a better look for a weird foreigner in a fantasy setting

I agree, the other guy (Ed Skrein?) definitely stood out whereas like many have said, the new guy looks like your average Joe from the North.

I think the other guy left to takeover Statham's role in the next Transporter film.

he's an idiot, cinema is fucking dead and da thrones is the biggest thing on TV at the moment. Unless his character was due to die badly in like 2 eps.

I thought Ed Skrein was a good bit of casting for Daario, dashing and cheeky and dangerous. He's off to play young Jason Statham in a Transporter prequel believe it or not, which is why they got the gimpy keyboard bloke from Treme instead. He was fine I thought, but slightly too soft and friendly a screen presence to play a cutthroat rogue.

• Upvote 2

This is strange because I thought they would have tied him down for a multi-season deal so that they wouldn't have to recast him. I know a few characters such as Gregor Clegane and Beric Dondarrion have been recasted but their roles have been small before the recast (or in the case of Gregor Clegane, still a small role) that you probably didn't take much notice that the actors changed. Although he came in at the end of season 3, he seemed to have a fairly big role in regards to lines and screen time that gave the impression he would continue to be an important character.

As for the new actor. I'm unsure who I prefer.

He probably did have a multi-season deal, but when it's (plucking made up numbers out of the air here) a case of "You can't take that $3 million starring role in a movie, you've already agreed to appear in our TV show for £50k" the actor probably responds along the lines of "Lol, whatever mate".

• Upvote 1

There's also a new actor for Daario (the guy Khaleesi shagged last season).

Wait...... whaaat? Did she?! I've forgotten so much... just the "Previously" bit made me realise how much I've forgotten...

She did. She was in a bathtub and he wandered in, there was a bit of boobage. If Deerokus is counting that as a shag, he might want to re-assess his sex life.

• Upvote 1