rllmuk
Daley

Game of Thrones - No Book Chat. NONE. The Books don't exist.

If the Tyrells are allied with the Lannisters now, it's pretty much going to be full-on north vs south next year. But does this mean that Maergery is going to have to marry Jofffrey, because that would be lolworthy?

It's probably just a deal they struck with the Lannisters rather than her having to marry Joffery. Maybe they kill Stanis and say Reny was the true heir so it falls to his wife now that he's dead and left no sons or daughters.

I thought they thought Cat and the woman Knight killed Renly? Or do I recall a scene where Renlys boyfriend wanted to march against Stanis after Renlys death (I can't remember)

I thought they thought Cat and the woman Knight killed Renly? Or do I recall a scene where Renlys boyfriend wanted to march against Stanis after Renlys death (I can't remember)

There was a scene where Littlefinger convinced the Tyrells that it was most likely Stannis who did it as he had most to gain.

It's probably just a deal they struck with the Lannisters rather than her having to marry Joffery. Maybe they kill Stanis and say Reny was the true heir so it falls to his wife now that he's dead and left no sons or daughters.

Even if their motive was simply revenge against Stannis, the Tyrells aren't going to throw their lot in with the Lannisters for nothing. All we really know about them (apart from that Slow Loris is handy with his weapon) is that Maergery wants to be The Queen, so I wouldn't be surprised to see manoeuvres to that effect now that Princess Simper has fucked off.

:lol: In fairness Jerome Flynn hasn't been on telly in about ten years.

I took the Tyrells showing up to mean both that they wanted revenge on Stannis but to position Maergery as Joffrey's queen. I actually think she'd be better at handling him, Sansa is an innocent little girl. Maergery knows the score, she'd be more capable of bossing him and would probably never see him after they get a babby. Which would suit Joffrey as er, for a teenager he seems not that into sex and more into torture (good for him).

Surely they did it so Margery can marry Joffery? She wants to be THE queen, and frankly I can't see any of the Lanisters thinking they can marry away theh Stark problem.

And the fact that Sansa has just done a runner!

I've watched series 1 and 2 in about two weeks. This show is awesome and I'm not sure how I'll fill my time and serve my addiction now!

Tyrian is just brilliant. I hope he's okay!

It's mad the way they kill of characters but it really keeps it fresh and I'd never have expected the death at the end of series 1 if it hadn't been spoilers in another thread.

So good.

What will be tied up in the last episode?

The one thing I really hope is that Greyjoy gets his face sliced off in Winterfell. I can wait till next season for anything else I think.

• Upvote 1

"Ser Boris, Ser Mandon, stay with my uncle and represent the King on the field of battle". Does anybody else think that was Joffrey ordering the hit on Tyrion? :sherlock:

Awesome. Some thoughts and questions, though:

(COMPREHENSIVE EPISODE 10 SPOILERS BELOW)

First up, I was confused, as I thought Stannis had been taken prisoner when the tide of battle turned against him last week. Was puzzled to see him back at (I presume) Dragonstone. I assume I must have misunderstood what happened to him at the end of last week.

Tyrion and Shae was a genuinely warm and fuzzy bit. I'd have been straight off to Pentos if I had been him.

The Dany scenes were, for the first time this season, absolutely spot on. Loved the weirdness of the House of the Undying, especially the Drogo scene, though I felt that the whole reveal of the King of Qarth (whose name escapes me) being a sham was a little rushed. I never did trust that Doreah, though. :)

Also slightly confused by what went on at Winterfell. If the Iron Islanders were surrounded by 500 of Roose Bolton's men, and were giving up Theon for their own safe passage back to the Iron Islands (which is what I presumed was going on) then who burned and pillaged the place?

Oh, Maester Luwin. :(

Arya/Jaqen - just brilliant. Look forward to seeing him again in due course, preferably sticking something sharp up Joffrey's bunghole. Speaking of whom - no surprises that he ditched Sansa for Margaery, but I had thought that Sansa had already buggered off with the Hound, although that was at least ambiguous, so I'll just accept that that was me interpreting it wrong last week.

Brienne and the Kingslayer - more awesomeness. His comic antagonism, her awkwardness with the situation, their cooperation in the face of the Stark men, and her eventual arse-kicking slaughtering of them - all brilliant.

Finally, were we to assume that was Benjen (or what was left of him) on the horse at the end? It sort of looked like him, but not quite enough for me to be certain.

So, basically, awesome, despite the fact that I clearly haven't *completely* followed it!

Oh, and in case it isn't obvious, I really don't want any book readers to answer my questions based on things not shown on screen - I just wanted to know if I'd missed anything and was being stupid.

Episode 10

I too thought that Stanis had been captured but maybe it was his me just pulling him out the fight and to retreat.

The treatment of Tyrian is absolute BS.

Sansa is a tit for not leaving with The Hound. Now she's just a scrap of meat for Joffrey to play with. Such a fool.

I'm also confused by what happened at Winterfell. I presume the Iron Islanders burnt it all and killed everyone before they left so the 500 men just left as there was nothing left to save. It's a bit confusing really.

Love Danys dragons just owning the Warlock. Fucker thought he was all powerful and then BAM he gets set on fire.

Can you briefly describe what happened to Benjen? I don't remember him at all.

Good to see its not just me who gets up at daft o'clock on a Monday for this :D

Tyrions scene, right from the off felt picture perfect, with Pycelle crowing over his injured body and just loving every minute of being the bearer of bad news, and then when all seamed lost after Varis further informing him he no longer has control of Bronn, any of the Goldcloaks or his hill tribes (payed off by Tywin perhaps to further wreck any possible chance of defence) when his love was reciprocated and he started to break down, man, possibly one of the best moments in the entire season.

What a fine bit of acting.

The scene that follows on from that in the throne room with Tywin fully accepting the rather dubious honour of savior of the city and paying little to no heed or humility to whom he was getting it from or more importantly, from who he should be sharing it with and all the while in the background theres still that massive pile of horseshit on the floor - worthy of Kubrik that shot was.

I liked the stuff with Jamie and Briene with them both kidding on to the Stark soldiers, Theons battle speech only to have it cut short by getting comedicly bonked on the head so he can be sold off for his mens safe passage (im assuming).

Hodor saying (or rather respectfully whispering) hodor ^__^

I liked seeing the return of Arya but I wanted more and it seemed just to do with checking in and didn’t feel all that significant for a final parting chapter. Obviously in retrospect it was to say goodbye to the man

who helped her escape Harrenhall and serving to reaffirm her goal in life for certain mother fuckers to get ended and also to be reunited with her family once again but..wanted more :(

Same with John Snows scenes. All the travelling parts of the episode seamed to drag along, they were all saying goodby to characters (Luwin :() which seamed fine in that this is the last in the season, but I wanted more character development rather than simple plot exposition, especially from characters who didn’t feature in the epic Blackwater episode.

Danerys's scenes served both excellently I felt. First in a long time where I’ve been wowed by her scenes. Her mystical trip through the frozen snow covered throne room, the ceiling above her destroyed and open to the elements, burnt and skeletonised (much like when Arya first arrives in Harrenhall and we see the effects of dragon fire for the first time) and then into the warmth of the sun and the fantasy of seeing Drogo, and the child shes never seen. Seeing everything that was taken away from her again (perhaps a promise of a matrix like fantasy the sorcerer would provide if she accepted her imprisonment), but ultimatly rejecting them as she hears her dragons calling for her and reaffirming her destiny to keep going and take back the thrown was all brilliantly cinematic and so well done. One of the many highlights of the episode.

So much to take in and I really need to see it again but pretty good considering how much of the story felt they needed to tell before everything finished for another year (it is just one year we have to wait right?).

Can I just say that the cgi work at the end, especially how it was previously used in the first season and early episodes of the second was incredible! The white walkers zombie drove looked like something out of a multi-million dollar film than something for the telly.

episode 10 spoilers:

Wow. After blackwater I expected this ep to be fairly sedate, wrap up some loose ends. Instead we get an hour of wall to wall awesome:)

Really liked the bit of political theatre near the start, where Joffrey is "convinced" to marry lady cornetto instead of sansa. Reminded me a little of the Wire.

Also interesting to see Danys character getting a little more ruthless. Here's hoping she ends up going down the whole "mad with power" route.

And that reveal at the end :omg:I loved the reaction of Sam, grenn, and miserableface to the white walkers coming:

two blasts: "Wildlings! There's only three of us, probably thousands of them, but we'll fight!"

three blasts: "...RUUUUUUUUUUN!!!"

I think that one bit showed more than any of the grim stories and foreboding tales just how feared the walkers are.

It's going to be a long year:(

to answer stigweard:

Benjen is Jons "uncle benjen", the one that went beyond the wall, then only his horse came back.

@blipwoo

I don't think Daenerys will end up being mad with power. Her vision, at least thematically seamed to be more in line with a stoic rejection of wish fulfillment rather than a power trip. Being granted a reality where you can see and converse with your deceased loved ones but rejecting it instead to suffer and struggle for an unwelcoming thrown but one you know to be yours by right is surly enough to see what kind of queen she wishes to be. Plus it directly mirrors Rob embracing the decision to wed the nurse and forsaking his responsibilities as a King. Shes probably the more responsible, the least underhanded, and certainly the least cunt like of all the prospective power players. Her brother on the other hand definitely had the potential to be another Aerys though.

Need to find that "crown for a king" moment on youtube again ^_^

Plus her treatment of the King of Quarth and her old handmaiden seamed in keeping with the cloak and dagger stuff they had obviously drawn together with the sorcerer. Plus it was more poetic since he tricked her with the promise of buying her boats and an army with his wealth.

She could have than simply commanded Jorah and her remaining Kalisar to murder them both in their bed but instead opted for a more deliberate method. Its certainly not the Stark method of "who passes the sentence, wields the sword" but its the same idea on diminished responsibility.

I also didn't get;

How Stannis got away or how Greyjoy's crew got away/if they gave away Theon why did they burn Winterfell etc. Seems like another 'show just what is needed/not enough time to adapt all the book' kinda thing.

Good to see Khalessi ready to rock finally and hopefully the white walkers will attack the wall early season 3 too.

I've not read the books but it does seem like every other fantasy book series I've read, blag the main plot points out and fill it in with loads of inter personal stuff. Love it but it's gunna be long wait for season 3!

Episode 10

Can you briefly describe what happened to Benjen? I don't remember him at all.

To expand on what blipwoo already said, Benjen is/was Ned's brother, who rode North from the wall not long after Jon's arrival there. He hasn't been seen for months, and it was two of the rangers who had rode out with him who turned up (un)dead and went on a killing spree at Castle Black before Jon torched them towards the end of season one.

I just thought that the camera lingered on his face for long enough, and the features were similar enough to Benjen's (although slightly more dead and white, obviously) that I wondered whether we were meant to take it that it was him. I really can't decide.