rllmuk
Daley

Game of Thrones - No Book Chat. NONE. The Books don't exist.

2 minutes ago, sharak said:

They do, @kerraig UK but as I said, the mantle should have been handed over to someone who would do the series justice. It doesn't appear to be "families, ambitions, mental health issues, contracts and stamina", but rather "bored and Disney offered us money so let's move on. Fuck it, it's only money."

Watch my clip, should have been handed to me. Best TV ending in history ;)

OK, I watched it.

Ending-wise, I would have preferred to see the NK win and what is left of humanity scamper to an island somewhere. NK on the throne. I agree that your ending would have been interesting, but it's not actually the ending I am upset about.

It's this:

2 hours ago, Mr. Gerbik said:

After the carefully constructed slow buildup and in-depth characterisation of the first 5/6 seasons, the last season consisted of nothing but 'and here's how this wraps up, and this ends this way, and he gets stabbed in his weak point, she goes crazy because reasons, they die, and they die, but they don't, fuck all the dangling plot threads, THE END, ok bye off to work for Disney now"

The story was total shit in the last 6 episodes. They could have ended it the same way, but just written out in better quality.

57 minutes ago, sharak said:

OK, I watched it.

Ending-wise, I would have preferred to see the NK win and what is left of humanity scamper to an island somewhere. NK on the throne. I agree that your ending would have been interesting, but it's not actually the ending I am upset about.

It's this:

The story was total shit in the last 6 episodes. They could have ended it the same way, but just written out in better quality.

I disagree. That ending could never have worked in any capacity because it fundamentally misses the entire point of the show. Fighting each other over a chair is ultimately pointless when winter is coming

The only 2 possible endings that work are, we put aside our differences to defeat the great evil, or we dont and we succumb.

• Upvote 2

I disagree.

My problem isn't the ending, it's wrapping it up in 6 episodes in such a rushed fashion.

I know what you're saying, but I think you're missing the point over why the last few episodes were so shit.

As much as I’ve loved THRONES over the years and think back on it fondly there will always be the fact that they fucked it up. It’s worse than Lost as that was one long prick tease. This could have finished on a high and cemented its place in TV history, but now it’s just like nah they fucked it.

• Upvote 6

2 hours ago, sharak said:

I disagree.

My problem isn't the ending, it's wrapping it up in 6 episodes in such a rushed fashion.

I know what you're saying, but I think you're missing the point over why the last few episodes were so shit.

I don't think I am. 

Just now, kerraig UK said:

I don't think I am. 

OK, we can agree to disagree if you like?

I even watched your 5 min YouTube video mate, give me some slack.

2 hours ago, sharak said:

OK, we can agree to disagree if you like?

I even watched your 5 min YouTube video mate, give me some slack.

Disagreeing is cool. Your opinion is just as valid as mine.

Brohug

On 30/07/2019 at 17:56, kerraig UK said:

I disagree. That ending could never have worked in any capacity because it fundamentally misses the entire point of the show. Fighting each other over a chair is ultimately pointless when winter is coming

The only 2 possible endings that work are, we put aside our differences to defeat the great evil, or we dont and we succumb.

Why?

People in power repeatedly ignore the great evil (climate change, famine, disease, the stagnation of their democracy, the ruinous nature of their institutionalised religion, the horde of undead) in favour of squabbling over pointless trinkets (a throne, power, money, a free packet of crisps, a nice new set of buses), while the poor eat the consequences.

This theme is consistent throughout, and I posit that you’ve fundamentally misread the story (or, being fair, you’re looking for a different metaphor that’s only partially supported by the text - climate change, for example, simply wasn’t seen as pressing an issue by the vast majority of people when A Game Of Thrones was first published).

Coming together to fight the evil, or the evil being triumphant, is entirely inconsequential unless you’re looking for a fantasy story.  The best fiction provides a mirror to our world, and the true horrors lie within - not without.

23 minutes ago, footle said:

Why?

People in power repeatedly ignore the great evil (climate change, famine, disease, the stagnation of their democracy, the ruinous nature of their institutionalised religion, the horde of undead) in favour of squabbling over pointless trinkets (a throne, power, money, a free packet of crisps, a nice new set of buses), while the poor eat the consequences.

This theme is consistent throughout, and I posit that you’ve fundamentally misread the story (or, being fair, you’re looking for a different metaphor that’s only partially supported by the text - climate change, for example, simply wasn’t seen as pressing an issue by the vast majority of people when A Game Of Thrones was first published).

Coming together to fight the evil, or the evil being triumphant, is entirely inconsequential unless you’re looking for a fantasy story.  The best fiction provides a mirror to our world, and the true horrors lie within - not without.

Exactly. In case you haven't noticed that's exactly what's happening. Winter is coming fast in real life and were either gonna come together to fight it or we're not 

Sure. *but that is not this story*.

And it doesn’t have to be.

which means it doesn’t need either of your two endings to be whole.

36 minutes ago, footle said:

Sure. *but that is not this story*.

And it doesn’t have to be.

which means it doesn’t need either of your two endings to be whole.

Of course, this story can be whatever it wants to be. Its just anything else isn't as good as either of those two.

1 hour ago, kerraig UK said:

Of course, this story can be whatever it wants to be. Its just anything else isn't as good as either of those two.

But... those two  aren't thematically consistent with the rest of the story that's been told over multiple seasons.

Not all stories are about character growth, hell - most of the classic tragedies are about how a character's inherent flaws lead to their downfall. If you just take Dany and Cersei, that's clearly the theme from episode one: how they gain agency, and how personal flaws lead to their ends.

Admittedly, the entire existence of Bran does argue against there being any real theme at all :-)

That's likely true. But surely just the fact that it's there points to (at least the existance of) a knowing understanding of its interpretation by some readers..

I saw a YouTube video of a read through of one of the final scripts, and it included little narrative lines like that. I thought it just added flavour and allowed the cast to react to the scene as they read it. Not meant to be read by any of the public

On 01/08/2019 at 12:46, Delargey said:

Thing is, that's clearly just an in-gag for the script rather than anything serious.

Exactly. It's a pretty efficient shorthand for the performance you're looking to get out of the actors.

Being ornate and being practical don't usually overlap.

Missus Treb is into GoT at an insane, god-tier level so she was A) devastated by how shite season 8 was and B) had us watch a lot of YT reactions. From those, I think the best (both funniest and most insightful) is Lindsey Ellis's take.

It's long (over an hour) but worth a go. On reflection, and being as rational as possible, I think the season is the biggest failure/error/misguided turn I've seen a massive show make during the 'Golden Age of Television'.

I think AMC booting Frank Darabont off The Walking Dead leaving us with only one truly brilliant season that matched the show's potential was the second. Anyway, here it is:

• Upvote 3

That's actually just the second part. This is the first:

I watched part two yesterday as it happens, and it was excellent. They're both well worth a watch.

• Upvote 2

Both of those videos do touch pretty successfully on why the show nosedived after it ran out of source material. And not just from a poor character writing perspective, but entire structural issues with how they tried to steer the narrative and ignored underlying themes. When taken as a whole it's really eye opening. I'm not sure I buy some of the defence of Danny though - her gradual descent into would be tyrant was very much a theme the show had been laying the groundwork for throughout, but it was the ham-fisted way she accelerated to full on Nazi by suddenly changing her usual character and slaughtering kiddies rather than building up to atrocity over a full season that stood out like a big yellow marker pen all over the script. Which, as is pointed out above, only happens because they need some way to justify the "good" characters doing something "bad" to her.