rllmuk
Daley

Game of Thrones - No Book Chat. NONE. The Books don't exist.

It doesn’t matter how much work they put in, using Dubrovnik for 7 seasons, then switching to a small set made King’s Landing looked like a totally different City. 

The documentary revealed they wasted a ton of their budget on the most costly solution I think they could’ve come up with: building massive replica city sets in which to film the battle scenes.

Winterfell and KL looked like ass in S8. There’s a problem when Hardhome, Blackwater and the battle at Castle Black, supposedly made on a fraction of the budget, were more effective and looked more expensive.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

I also thought King's Landing looked pretty weak, but to be fair to them it's not like they had much of an alternative. They would never have been able to film the battle on location for a variety of reasons, such as the cost, the amount of time needed and the flexibility of the location. Generally speaking most filming permits don't allow you to set off a bunch of explosions.

• Upvote 5

Getting the dragons vaccinated and microchipped is really expensive too.

Quite surprised to see Sophie Ellis-Bextor popping up in costume at the catering van during the documentary. Makes me wonder who else might be lurking in the background throughout the series.

despite declaring I wasn't going to watch this a slow bank holiday meant I did.

don't think its quite the doc they intended to make, or at least that's how I watched it.

what was meant to be a triumphant behind the scenes look at how such spectacle was created all I came away with was a sense of sadness at how much effort & time people had put into this, and how let down so many of them must now feel that the end product was so ill conceived and received so poorly.

sure they all got paid, but people were putting their hearts into it and you could see the effort they were making.

• Upvote 1

20 hours ago, Chadruharazzeb said:

Has anyone said such a thing? 

Ah sorry, I mean't the documentary that aired in the same slot. It was being called the series finale at most places I looked online.

So we're nearly two weeks out from ground zero (the finale) and I'm less happy about it the more time goes on. It really was a pile of arse, through no fault of the vast majority of the people involved with the show. That's becoming more and more clear the more I think about it.

However, I'm not going to call the writers idiots or throw yoghurt at them or whatever, as they were truly great adaptors of GRRM's material. They lost the plot at the end, but overall, they gave us a great show - it wasn't really their fault that circumstances changed and while it was their choice to wrap it up quickly, I can't blame them - who wants to be trapped in a job for years on end with no option to move on? But it's a real shame.

The last three years put me off recommending the show or rewatching it, as a huge part of the show's appeal is speculating about what will happen. And now we know what happens, I don't want to know, if you get my meaning. And there's no point in recommending someone only watches the first few seasons - moving towards that conclusion is central to the experience. I would never have bothered with it if I knew there wasn't going to be an ending (which is the case if you voluntarily stop after season 4). I guess I will rewatch it one day, and it will be interesting to see what I think at that time knowing now how it plays out and how few major plot threads went anywhere.

• Upvote 2

D&D have cheated themselves just as much as the viewers. Could've been a fantastic legacy with a few more seasons and the same considered pace, but now it's just tarnished. They gave up. I still don't understand why they couldn't have passed the running of the show onto someone else.

• Upvote 1

I've yet to watch the last episode but have to say that the cast, regardless of what people think of the plot, have done some cracking work, and Clarke's walked the line  on the sanity angle really well for Daenerys IMO.

On 02/06/2019 at 06:45, kerraig UK said:

I just couldn't be arsed with the last two episodes. Lost all investment and couldn't care less. I doubt I'll ever bother with em.

the last 1.5 episodes are great. 

We liked it last time it was posted :)

Warning tho... your youtube will never forget you watched a Screen Rant thing and ALL your recommendations will be from them for days!

On 02/06/2019 at 05:32, lolly said:

Clarke's walked the line  on the sanity angle really well for Daenerys IMO.

Where can I watch the version you've been watching?

• Upvote 1

Bump from the almost dead - quite an interesting podcast gone up in last couple of days, not one I'd ever listened to either.

Filmakers Toolkit - its a 2h interview with Miguel Sapochnik recorded shortly after this had finished being shown on TV - but he did it on the basis the podcast is a technical discussion about how film gets made, not a 'wasn't season 8 crap' gossip fest.

I'm only 45m in but its already fascinating how honest and talkative he is about how he got the gig in the first place, how spiky 'Dave & Dan' are to work with and the chaos around shooting the show. What I'm really getting is how much even at season 5 this was exhausting everybody to make it, and he said he had massive misgiving about returning, as did others around him.

How Hardhome got created and was borne of the restrictions he had is a very interesting listen.

I know everybody pitched this as 'they got bored' but already this podcast is shining a slightly different light on that, and the show almost sounds like it got too big to make as a TV series and everybody was running out of energy/appetite to be involved.

Season 8 was still crap though, always feel any GoT chat needs to end on that note now.

• Upvote 1

I just binge watched the entire thing (over a few weeks, with the GF). Never seen it before. Thought it was overhyped.

Ended up absolutely loving it... then wondered what the fuck happened in Season 8. D&D really fucked up leaving an amazing legacy here. GoT will forever be remembered for an ending that was so obviously rushed and lacklustre... whereas it could have been an absolute masterpiece. 

I'm not even discussing "things happening that I didn't like" but rather the obvious rushing of the final series. If it started like this, it wouldn't have had the following.

I have no sympathy. If they didn't want to finish it, I am sure someone capable would have done the series justice.

Crying shame.

• Empathy 1

On 16/07/2019 at 21:00, Harsin said:

Outstanding Writing for a Drama Series:

David Benioff and D.B. Weiss — “Game of Thrones” (HBO)

Guess what that category really means is "Most Profitable Writing"

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, sharak said:

GoT will forever be remembered for an ending that was so obviously rushed and lacklustre...

To think we waited two years for that.

• Upvote 1

15 hours ago, Fallows said:

To think we waited two years for that.

Yes I feel rather bad for people waiting 2 years for a final season, maybe hoping for 10 crazy episodes, and instead got 6 [wrong kind of] crazy episodes.

The character leaps were silly. How long did we spend in Meereen? A whole season? How long did it take Jorah to get back to D? No people are just ending up in new places with no progression or clever story telling. A whole season without Bran whatsoever. Oh he's King now and everyone agrees as a prisoner said so. A prisoner from an Army we can overthrow in a few minutes.

NK and Iron Throne wrapped up in a couple of episodes? Jon's lineage meaning nothing in the end, other than it made things awkward and he stopped boning D? D deciding than instead of rushing the castle and burning Cersei to a crisp, to "burn them all" without even the throwback phrase to the Mad King of "Burn them all"? 

The fact that I think I could have done better is a travesty.

The ending of series is hard, and people often disagree with how things end, sure. I think we all agree it was shit writing and simply cut way too short.

Urgh.

• Upvote 6
  • Downvote 1

It's a bit of both. Although I'm confused as to why it took two years to make compared to previous seasons which arguably packed more across ten episodes for (a lot) less money and in half the time.

8 minutes ago, Fallows said:

It's a bit of both. Although I'm confused as to why it took two years to make compared to previous seasons which arguably packed more across ten episodes for (a lot) less money and in half the time.

Because human beings have families, ambitions, mental health issues, contracts and stamina.

They do, @kerraig UK but as I said, the mantle should have been handed over to someone who would do the series justice. It doesn't appear to be "families, ambitions, mental health issues, contracts and stamina", but rather "bored and Disney offered us money so let's move on. Fuck it, it's only money."

• Upvote 1