rllmuk
Daley

Game of Thrones - No Book Chat. NONE. The Books don't exist.

That was spot on.

I've been watching some of the highlights of earlier seasons and my god there was some fantastic scenes in there. My favourite being the capture of high garden and the chat between Tyrell and Jamie. 

• Upvote 1

I think I'm so done with this after this season that I can't even be arsed with the 2h documentary going out this weekend in the usual transmission slot

19 hours ago, probotector said:

I’m not really interested in his origin either.

Id rather see robs rebellion or Aegons landing or even something in valeria 

GRRM built such a big world with so much lore and the final few episodes of the show were just focused on finishing the main characters storylines.

I want to know what caused the doom of Valyria, are there any more giants or children of the forest? As Ser Davos said, this lord of light bloke seems to have disappeared, and he obviously held some power. Did Drogon bugger off and lay some eggs somewhere? so many questions are left.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Dirty Harry Potter said:

definitely seems a bit dissapointed tbh - maybe that'll motivate him to claim it back by getting THE FUCKING BOOKS DONE

16 minutes ago, Chewylegs said:

Blatantly disappointed because he doesn't reap the monetary benefits anymore!

Is he doing the 5 different prequels for free then? 

• Upvote 2

He needs to stop fucking about with all these side projects and get his legacy sorted.

No one gives a fuck about the prequels, the main fucking story ain’t even done.

• Upvote 2

That’s quite an old interview isn’t it? It’s pretty obvious to me that he’d of liked them to have spent more seasons on the story. I’d love to know more about the behind the scenes gossip. For instance, why couldn’t d&d simply have taken executive producer roles (once they’d decided they’d had enough) and placed some trusted team members in charge? Was it simply their own vanity which meant they didn’t want anyone else responsible for their show? Or was there some contractual reason?

• Upvote 1

As already said they have pretty much shafted themselves with making the NK the focus of the prequel.  I as somebody who avidly watched from the start along with reading all the books, have absolutely zero interest now in a origin story for a character that I know goes nowhere storywise. I doubt I will be on my own.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Timmo said:

Prequels are nearly always shit. Knowing where a character ends up makes their journey a lot less interesting.

Better Call Saul says hi.

• Upvote 6
  • Downvote 1

Nearly always! I do think even with BCS it detracts, for example knowing that Kim isn't in the picture later on in his life.

• Upvote 5

I’m quite interested in the whole first men, Bran the Builder stuff... the NK isn’t in the books, but the Others in general are quite vague as well. Suspect they’ll start to play a bigger role

Also, will be surprised if the Night King is prominent. It just looks to be a premise that is the same but different - fantastical world with dodgy politics, growing threat that hits later on, prequel is so far back that lots of places aren't even built. The era suggests something a bit more fantastical - you should have more giants and children of the forest about but I'll be surprised if they lean into that much.

If they wanted a more familar prequel, they'd have probably adapted the Egg and Dunk tales as a starting point.

1 hour ago, probotector said:

old nan was talking about the night’s king not the night king.

nights king married an other/woman and was under her spell or something 

There's more to it we'll probably find out later. I do agree it'll be substantially different though. 

On 21/05/2019 at 00:12, abc said:
  Hide contents

I'd be pretty fucked off if I was one of the other lords and Sansa said "by the way, the North is going to be independent, so you're all just lords of the six kingdoms now". Especially as she'd just got to vote on who was ruler of the seven six kingdoms.  I'd be demanding independence too.

Or is being part of the seven kingdoms objectively desirable, like it has a really good customs union and single market, and Sansa's just made the North crash out without a deal  (when they had the best deal anyway) while the other kingdoms look on shaking their heads?

The North is like a third of the country, and used to be independently ruled, and is a frozen shithole nobody else wants. They want to leave and nobody cares if they stay.

On 21/05/2019 at 09:03, Luseth said:

:lol:

Hide contents

I've refrained from commenting to much because there are so many flaws with this final season and I wouldn't be surprised to see Martin complete his book just to put things right in a fashion (it would be completely different).

I mean, let's send Jon to the night's watch because we need somewhere to send all the rapists and murderer's. Except there are a few issues with that -

The night's watch was to defend against Wildlings, the wildlings no longer want to come south because the white walkers are gone. There is a huge gaping hole in the wall miles away from Castle Black, what's the point in them sitting there? 

Now that the night's watch has no purpose why are these murderers and rapists going to stay up north, there is no one there to keep them in check.

Also who own's the nights watch? Is it still a part of the 6 kingdoms? The land is part of the 'North' so doesn't it belong to the Starks? Are the North going to allow the 6 kingdoms to just waltz through their land with loads of murderers etc to stick them in a keep with no guards right next to their land? 

Oh and why not tell Unsullied he's going to the wall and once they sail off let him be? He saved Westeros and once the threat of the Unsullied are gone then there's no reason to punish him?

Surely theres never ever been any point of the Watch on the show? Nobody believed in the white walkers anymore so they were just guarding the wall because that’s what they do. They never functionally helped against the walkers.

On 22/05/2019 at 10:45, Fletch said:

So wait a minute, there are many many sailing ships in Westeros, but no one has ever decided to go West of Westeros before now?

People have gone, but nobody made it far enough to see anything and came back, though there’s a hint that one of the ships that sailed that way was later seen in the Far East.

5 minutes ago, Broker said:

Surely theres never ever been any point of the Watch on the show? Nobody believed in the white walkers anymore so they were just guarding the wall because that’s what they do. They never functionally helped against the walkers

The point was that a) they kept the wildlings out or at least under control (no one really believed the walkers were a thing), b) it was a convenient place to exile people it would be too awkward to execute.

11 minutes ago, Broker said:

The North is like a third of the country, and used to be independently ruled, and is a frozen shithole nobody else wants. They want to leave and nobody cares if they stay.

They were all independently ruled until they were forced not to by dragons. It's not so much the other Lords being pissed off that the North is leaving it's that it doesn't make sense that a few others didn't also want to leave. 

• Upvote 1

Soo, not many people watched the finale then, huh..?;) 

Thought this was worth a watch. Charlie does a pretty decent fan fiction at the end, starting around the 10.30 mark. Ahh, what could have been!

Anyone watched the 2-hour making of Season 8 documentary that was on Sky last night (called Last Watch)?

Excellent, all-access look behind the scenes that was filmed over a year, and really shows what went into it. Lots of focus on the local NI extras rather than the stars. How they made the battle of King’s Landing was more emotionally engaging than the episode itself.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, jonamok said:

Anyone watched the 2-hour making of Season 8 documentary that was on Sky last night (called Last Watch)?

Excellent, all-access look behind the scenes that was filmed over a year, and really shows what went into it. Lots of focus on the local NI extras rather than the stars. How they made the battle of King’s Landing was more emotionally engaging than the episode itself.

I really enjoyed it.  I think the effort behind the scenes have been very much appreciated.  At the same time, I can’t shake the feeling that it’s a bit of a shame to see so many people working so hard and doing their job well, but having to put their trust in a leadership that don’t seem to be anywhere as committed to the end of the show and ultimately disappointed so many.

A lot of the crew and cast come across incredibly well in this.  It’s nice seeing them get along.