IGNORED

Game of Thrones - No Book Chat. NONE. The Books don't exist.

Daley

The story was that in convincing Martin to let them make the show the reason he was convinced was because they named who was on the throne at the end or maybe it was just who Snow's parents were?

I'm not convinced doing 10 seasons would have resulted in a better ending and it's hard to pay much attention seeing as the books still haven't finished it.  

We'd maybe be on what season 9 by now with an extra couple of years gap because of covid.

18 minutes ago, Stigweard said:

I wonder if GRRM is now furiously rewriting his book because he had the same ending and everyone hated it :lol:

This. Though Bran being on the throne could have worked if D&D used him better in the last season.

Bran should have had more of a pivotal part to play in the battle of winterfell - he didn't need to win the battle but do something to help turn the tide so when they did crown him it felt more satisfying. 

1 hour ago, Delargey said:

This. Though Bran being on the throne could have worked if D&D used him better in the last season.

Bran should have had more of a pivotal part to play in the battle of winterfell - he didn't need to win the battle but do something to help turn the tide so when they did crown him it felt more satisfying. 

Problem was the actor, he was literally a plank of wood for the entire series. The others certainly didn't end up acting that badly so no excuse to not make some effort or train in the previous years.

Can't remember if I've said it here, but HBO could make serious mega-bank if they go back and remake the last couple of seasons of the show after GRRM has actually written the books. Get all the actors back, FX de-age the kids who are now adults, start from the end of S5. Of course the actors' deals would be ridiculously huge, but so what? It would once again be the biggest TV event out there. Get Cogman and Sapochnik to showrun, GRRM in charge of the writers' room, job done.

(Sadly this probably won't work if the final book isn't released until after 2030...)

1 hour ago, Eighthours said:

(Sadly this probably won't work if the final book isn't released until after 2030...)

Lol that you think a final book will ever come out.

The biggest clue that GRRM hasn't go a bloody clue how he's going to to end it is that just when all the plots should be converging as the books supposedly go into the final stretch he decided to insert about 8000 meandering and superfluous feeling new sub-plots.

Now he'll just throw in the occasional 'Oh its totally amazing and coming out anytime soon, but you can't see it' like Aurora Boeralis in Principal Skinner's kitchen, to keep fans on the hook. While he gets to enjoy being wined and dined by Hollywood execs, being treated like a god at conventions and raking in cash from tat like Game of Thrones cook books. Can't say I blame him to be honest.

Yeah two books. If he does somehow ever manage to get Winds of WInter out (which I doubt) there's more chance of the Daily Mail publishing a praise filled Jeremy Corbyn retrospective special edition than him getting the final book out before the heat death of the universe.

2 hours ago, Matt Defis said:

I'm hoping on HBO first law series.

This. Not just better written source material, but it's *complete* source material - beginning, middle, and end. Epic from start to finish, with a good structure that doesn't feel like it's 90% filler.

Bran being on the throne wasn't a bad idea... IF....

he turns out to be the Bloodraven.  It would even explain why he gives a glint when he says he's going to go and search for Drogon and opens up possibilities for what happens next.

Even Dany going mental and destroying Kings Landing was great - if they had just spent a bit more time on the run up to it.

But... all the Bloodraven stuff was ignored from the TV and the last series was just far too quick, none of the characters got a chance to breath with fast travel everywhere.

Still, I still maintain it only became REALLY SHITE when Tyrion woke up in the cell in the last episode.  If you ignore everything from there on, I still think it's fine.

3 hours ago, Lorfarius said:

Problem was the actor, he was literally a plank of wood for the entire series. The others certainly didn't end up acting that badly so no excuse to not make some effort or train in the previous years.

And he was written not to have any emotion. I don't think they were very good at getting a performance out of the less capable actors, they mostly had a really talented bunch to work with.

17 hours ago, DeDeDe said:

Someone earlier linked to a podcast interview with the director in charge of some of the most memorable episodes, Miguel Sapochnik, and what I got from it was that the show itself was just badly managed, especially towards the end. Benioff & Weiss deserve a lot of the blame, but I wonder how they could have saved the show what with so many factors at play.

The episodes that garnered the most attention were exhausting for the cast and crew, and they also had to make scenes believable while still keeping key characters in the series alive (which HBO demanded). And I find it bizarre that GRRM didn't tell anyone who sits on the Iron Throne at the end--but, then again, maybe D&B and HBO were not willing to listen.

I'm not a big fan of Game of Thrones--the show jumped the shark when Hodor's origin was revealed--but I enjoyed it for what it was, unsatisfying last few seasons and all. The thing is, though, a show with such scope was going to be a massive challenge to manage. In many ways, I wish that the show had ended after the first season, and the rest of the stories had been told in separate series.

Is Hodor's backstory different in the books?

7 hours ago, Lorfarius said:

I guess it’s hard when you have to cast kids who might turn out to have just been ok for kids, not actually very talented.

7 hours ago, Eighthours said:

Can't remember if I've said it here, but HBO could make serious mega-bank if they go back and remake the last couple of seasons of the show after GRRM has actually written the books. Get all the actors back, FX de-age the kids who are now adults, start from the end of S5. Of course the actors' deals would be ridiculously huge, but so what? It would once again be the biggest TV event out there. Get Cogman and Sapochnik to showrun, GRRM in charge of the writers' room, job done.

If they wait another few years I doubt most of the actors salaries will be huge. Even now most of them aren’t in anything that noteworthy. Jon Snerr and Rob were just in a Marvel movie, but Sophie Turner is starring in that HBO show about Prince George as a voice actor and Dany hasn’t been in much since Terminator Genesees.

Anyone holding out hope that GRRM will ever finish the books is just deluding themselves.

We are coming out of the best part of 2 years of lockdown, when literally he was stuck in his house with nothing to do but write & there is still no sign of 'The Winds Of Winter', let alone 'A Dream of Spring'.  He has absolutley no idea how to satisfactorily finish the story, especially now the tv show has shat all over his big revelation that Dani would go full on Mad King Targaryen.  

My money is he will finish the Fire & Blood sequel so the spin-off does not end up in the same situation GOT did and that will be it.  There will be no conclusion to A Song Of Ice and Fire until after he retires/karks it, when no doubt they will draft somebody in to work with the extensive notes he has left for them.

1 hour ago, Lorfarius said:

Everyone always forgets Solo... 🤣

I haven’t seen that, so no idea who is in it but that’s fair. Everyone said it was so much worse than Rogue One which I thought was absolutely terrible so I didn’t bother. 

18 hours ago, Mr. Gerbik said:

This. Not just better written source material, but it's *complete* source material - beginning, middle, and end. Epic from start to finish, with a good structure that doesn't feel like it's 90% filler.

Wasn’t 90% of the book Glokta licking his gums and complaining about his knee? I think there were three chapters devoted to him falling down the stairs.

I jest of course, but only partly. I’ve tried to get into fantasy books but they’re always too bloated. Never liked The Blade Itself. However, in the right hands, I think a TV show could get something out of it.

2 hours ago, Monkeyboy said:

Wasn’t 90% of the book Glokta licking his gums and complaining about his knee? I think there were three chapters devoted to him falling down the stairs.

I jest of course, but only partly. I’ve tried to get into fantasy books but they’re always too bloated. Never liked The Blade Itself. However, in the right hands, I think a TV show could get something out of it.

Glokta was hilarious!

There's a huge dropoff in quality in the 4th and 5th books anyway  which is evident in the show as well, they still have some great moments but  one way or another the end of the series will be disappointing either via the TV show having to be it or the books themselves. Which is a bit sad ,especially considering how good the beginning was.

Yeah, they get really, really boring. The guys clearly given up on the original series as he seems to have much more fun poking around in back stories (Robert Jordan had the same issue for a time) but I think he knows if he officially let it drop that'd be the end of his cashcow.

I don't know why Martin doesn't enlist help to finish the series. It seems utterly bizarre given the limitless opportunities that huge amounts of money grant. The last I'd read was that he did have organisational help via 2 fan assistants but nothing more than that. I'm not sure how much input the James S Corey writers had, but did the issue with GOT start when they left to do their own thing? Put in perspective, they've just finished their own sprawling series, in quick smart time. And done it very well indeed.

The only conclusion I can come to is hubris on Martin's part? Nothing else makes sense given that all he has to do is ask for help. I imagine the publisher is chomping at the bit to give him all the help he could possibly want. I'm sure they now feel very much like HBO did with D and D.