Jump to content
rllmuk
Daley

Game of Thrones - No Book Chat. NONE. The Books don't exist.

Recommended Posts

32 minutes ago, Benny said:

I can't relate to peasants.

 

The S3 peasants were okay.

 

^Can't be doing with that sort of video, where it takes 5 minutes to cover something that we've been enjoying all week, and that Cunningham laughed at Hill's reaction.

 

I think I'm lucky in coming to the series in-between 6 and 7, so my disappointment was tempered by binging before I had much time to reflect before ploughing on. Without those year-long waits after 4 and 5 to get my hopes up, I was largely resigned to the dip by the time I watched the last two seasons weekly.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Lots of people probably know about it already, but the behind the scenes vignettes for each episode this season on Sky Atlantic are pretty interesting. King's Landing in e5 is actually a massive set in the middle of Belfast. They had to construct a wall of stacked shipping containers 5 storeys high to stop people from being able to see in from neighbouring buildings. The amount of work that goes into each episode is incredible.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, scottcr said:

Regardless of what you think of the story - the cinematography in this series has been absolutely mind blowing... there's been so many shots that I want as high-res wallpapers...  some of my favourites off the top of my head...

 

Ghost and Jorah charging towards the army of the dead with the dothraki and the fireballs streaking through the sky behind them

Rheagal and Drogon rise above the clouds with the moon behind them

Jon facing off against undead Viserion

Hound squares up to Boaby Strong as Drogon flies past breathing fire

Dany with Drogon's wings behind her

Drogon checks out Jon before he enters the red keep to meet Dany

Drogon realising Dany is dead and crying into the sky as Jon looks on

Drogon melting the Iron Throne

Ghost and Jon re-united because GOODEST BOI

 

amazing looking stuff - the Drogon stuff in the last episode was particularly awesome

 

 

 

I agree completely. I also loved the story and characters. It was an unprecedented journey. They just failed the ending imo which almost killed the show. Almost. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, scottcr said:

Regardless of what you think of the story - the cinematography in this series has been absolutely mind blowing... there's been so many shots that I want as high-res wallpapers...  some of my favourites off the top of my head...

 

Ghost and Jorah charging towards the army of the dead with the dothraki and the fireballs streaking through the sky behind them

Rheagal and Drogon rise above the clouds with the moon behind them

Jon facing off against undead Viserion

Hound squares up to Boaby Strong as Drogon flies past breathing fire

Dany with Drogon's wings behind her

Drogon checks out Jon before he enters the red keep to meet Dany

Drogon realising Dany is dead and crying into the sky as Jon looks on

Drogon melting the Iron Throne

Ghost and Jon re-united because GOODEST BOI

 

amazing looking stuff - the Drogon stuff in the last episode was particularly awesome

 

 

All that with a tiny budget of $90m. 

 

 

  • Upvote 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I feel detective Drogon investigates needs more explanation too.

 

So he could sense something bad had happened to his mum, flew in, saw her lying on the floor with a dagger sticking out, sniffed her, sniffed Jon Snow a bit and then decided it was the throne that did it ?

 

I get what they were going for here (more cool imagery rather than coherent story telling) but what are the mental abilities of a dragon meant to be ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've always gone with the dragons having telepathy - first with Dany, then with Jon.

 

Drogon wouldn't have killed Jon, but would have understood the reason for Dany's death (and decline). 

 

If this sounds far-fetched, don't forget that all dragons can do this in real life.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Trying to pack all that into 6 episode was a very tall order and while it had its moments it’s safe to say they fucked it.

 

I’d have loved for the scenes at the start of the last episode to have occurred at the end of the previous one (instead of that horse bit). End it with Dani talking to her troops. In fact I thought everything in the finale was excellent right up until Jon made his move. Especially loved the dragon wings behind her, Imp throwing down his badge, dragon coming out of the snow.

 

Everything after that was proper shit, like next level rubbish. They totally fucked it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah, they basically crammed what probably should have been three season finales (Night King, Cersei, Evil Dany) into one season. And a truncated season at that.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Gotters said:

I feel detective Drogon investigates needs more explanation too.

 

So he could sense something bad had happened to his mum, flew in, saw her lying on the floor with a dagger sticking out, sniffed her, sniffed Jon Snow a bit and then decided it was the throne that did it ?

 

I get what they were going for here (more cool imagery rather than coherent story telling) but what are the mental abilities of a dragon meant to be ?

 

Dragons can be smarter than humans 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Monkeyboy said:

Yeah, they basically crammed what probably should have been three season finales (Night King, Cersei, Evil Dany) into one season. And a truncated season at that.

Was like being told the events by a coked up HBO executive, you’re only sat in his bathroom with him because he has the coke.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, Gotters said:

I feel detective Drogon investigates needs more explanation too.

 

So he could sense something bad had happened to his mum, flew in, saw her lying on the floor with a dagger sticking out, sniffed her, sniffed Jon Snow a bit and then decided it was the throne that did it ?

 

I get what they were going for here (more cool imagery rather than coherent story telling) but what are the mental abilities of a dragon meant to be ?

 

They talked about this on the cast of kings podcast, saying 'uh so did Drogon see this throne with swords in it and see its mother with a dagger in her and put two and two together!?' I thought Drogon knew Jon was responsible but being a Targaryen it couldn't harm him, it came close then in the last second just couldn't, so vented its fury just away from him that happened to to be where the throne was. It didn't intend to melt it. I'm not thinking Drogon had any thought process like 'that throne has brought the end of my mother, it brings nothing but ruin it must be destroyed!' 

 

So Jon to mope out of there like the wettest of wet men admitting to his murder rather than skulk out and if anyone asks about Dany say 'er i think she just went on a little ride with Drogon should be back soon' before running to the nearest boat. 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’m not sure it would be that easy to cover up. People tend to look when a dragon flies over and surely saw it carrying her. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, JohnC said:

I’m not sure it would be that easy to cover up. People tend to look when a dragon flies over and surely saw it carrying her. 

 

Which showed them who did it as well? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't know who/what Penny and her pretty pig are, but I think I'd rather watch a 24 episode season of that than what was served up this season.

  • Upvote 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, AI1 said:

I don't know who/what Penny and her pretty pig are, but I think I'd rather watch a 24 episode season of that than what was served up this season.

 

Best way to describe it, imagine a parallel universe where the Star Wars trilogy was never finished after The Empire Strikes Back and in the end Alan Dean Foster ended up writing a hasty novel just to end it. Then George Lucas spent years making blog posts about how he was totally going to make the final film one day guys honest and don't worry because in my version you'll get to find out what happened to Lobot and that guy played by Cliff from Cheers.

  • Upvote 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So wait a minute, there are many many sailing ships in Westeros, but no one has ever decided to go West of Westeros before now?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Fletch said:

So wait a minute, there are many many sailing ships in Westeros, but no one has ever decided to go West of Westeros before now?

 

Well, it's not like anyone in Europe did, for hundreds of years.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Loik V credern said:

 I'm not thinking Drogon had any thought process like 'that throne has brought the end of my mother, it brings nothing but ruin it must be destroyed!'

 

Stolen from Reddit, obviously:

 

590qdv77jaz21.thumb.png.c971f556d8e3d743d1fe61458438f124.png

  • Upvote 8

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Fletch said:

So wait a minute, there are many many sailing ships in Westeros, but no one has ever decided to go West of Westeros before now?

 

Big expanse of ocean that's very difficult to cross, no supplies or chances to stop off so people won't bother as they mostly end up dead. Exactly like it was with the America's for ages.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Use of this website is subject to our Privacy Policy, Terms of Use, and Guidelines.