rllmuk
Daley

Game of Thrones - No Book Chat. NONE. The Books don't exist.

Just...

Spoiler

Absolute utter wank. Yawn all you want but up to Daenerys being kebabed it was gripping. After that, Jesus. It’s the TV finale equivalent of proposing to your other half, but them expecting it and playing along and watching you sweat. You’re wearing a nice shirt and in an above average eatery, all excited, and well, it’s been 7 years and you asked them their ring size without tact a month ago, and then you do the ‘what’s behind your ear’ magic trick and instead of pulling out a legend of a ring you turn around and stick your stinky rectum based proposition on their finger and then follow through laughing. Absolute turd of an ending and god knows whether the last sentence says more about GoT or a dream I had about proposing.

Peter Dinklage though, what an absolute treat from start to finish. 

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

15 minutes ago, revol said:

Hide contents

Yawn all you want but up to Daenerys being kebabed it was gripping.

It stopped being gripping as soon as Dany imprisoned Tyrion rather than executing him immediately. When critics look back in years to come, I think they'll be harshest on Bang & Olufsen for not respecting the original audience who embraced the trademark tragedy that made the series' name.

That's not to say that killing Tyrion would've been a good idea, but its avoidance confirmed that Dany's rage gauge was too low to defeat his plot armour.

That was alright. 

Spoiler

Disappointed that Bran never warged into a dragon at any point during the show. And also was hoping after Jon killed Dany the Dragon was going to toast him to reveal he's also fire proof and he's crowned king only for him to voluntarily give it up and head north. 

Wormsy is a right dick, shame he didn't die

Yay for the Ghost reunion. 

I enjoyed it too.

Spoiler

Not as much as other series but I liked little bits like the Small Council convening. Had the usual careless leaps and gaps in the story but I suspect I was more forgiving of it because it was the last time we'll have a new episode.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Azrael said:

That was alright. 

Hide contents

Wormsy is a right dick, shame he didn't die. 

Spoiler

He went from nothing to suddenly having an agenda in no time at all. Actually, that feels like the tagline for a lot of characters in this series.

I generally just feel utterly let down. The Bells reinvigorated some kind of hope, this last episode just totally wasted a chance. Really sad after such an investment and love for a show. 

10 minutes ago, Azrael said:

That was alright. 

Hide contents

Disappointed that Bran never warged into a dragon at any point during the show. 

Spoiler

He probably did but with that plank of wood in the chair how could you tell?

20 minutes ago, redbloodcel said:

Yeah I enjoyed it, although I'm looking forward to reading the books much more now. 

Yeah that's right, BOOKS! 

giphy.gif

I've come to the conclusion that the books have been finished for at least 2 years now and GRRM has been playing the waiting game knowing full well that D&D couldn't finish the story well.

Its perfect marketing

"Now the TV show is over, come buy my book and read the REAL ending"

• Upvote 5

Bloody hell, what just happened? I really enjoyed that! And I categorically hated the last 3 episodes.

Spoiler

Maybe I just came into this one with super low standards, I dunno. I left the last episode completely not caring what happened next, but I left this one wanting more stories of Jon, Arya, Sansa, and a small council sitcom.

I think getting rid of Dany so quickly into the episode was a good thing. Turns out her arc was the worst part of the show and the sooner it was removed the better.

Some really touching moments like Tyrion digging up Jaime & Cercei, Brienne updating Jaime's pages in the kingsguard book, and JON FINALLY PET THE DOG!

Drogon torching the iron throne and not Jon!

Sansa finally becoming Queen in the North like she should've been 2 seasons ago.

As for the downsides:

I think Grey Worm got off way too lightly. He was a war criminal. He doesn't get to judge Jon or Tyrion or anyone, much less get to sail away freely.

All of the remaining named cast getting a seat on the small council, was way too fanficcy, especially with remaining unfilled seats brushed aside with a comment. Bronn as Master of Coin? fuck off. Could see him as maybe master of war but even that's a stretch.

And Arya was completely pointless all episode.

Spoiler

I thought it was pretty good, but it needed something at the end. GRRM for years has said that it won't have a happy ending but for most surviving characters (and after the battle at Winterfell it was pretty obvious the Starks were all going to survive) it was pretty damn rosy.

I wondered if there might be a little twist at the end. Perhaps Bran could have been revealed to have not so honourable motives (the fact he'd planned his trajectory to being king was creepy in itself, but this seemed to be played off as whimsical rather than dark). Or maybe the northmen came across a remnant of the white walkers which suggested the threat would one day return. Just... anything other than everything being tied up in a neat bow.

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Wroth said:

Bloody hell, what just happened? I really enjoyed that! And I categorically hated the last 3 episodes.

It wasn't bad TV but it certainly wasn't good GOT.

Spoiler

Bran should have been replaced ages ago if they were going to do that ending, the guy had no acting range at all.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Spoiler

I loved my partner's honest reaction to Drogon melting the throne: "I bet he thinks the throne stabbed her, it's made of swords!"

And you know what, that actually makes more sense. It's a giant lizard after all!

• Upvote 4

10 minutes ago, Retroid said:
  Hide contents

I loved my partner's honest reaction to Drogon melting the throne: "I bet he thinks the throne stabbed her, it's made of swords!"

And you know what, that actually makes more sense. It's a giant lizard after all!

Yeah, for the first time in 8 seasons I found myself questioning the intelligence of dragons in this series.

He went up quite a few more IQ points in this one. Maybe his intelligence got the same power up as his fire-breath did last episode?

Spoiler

Arya: "I know a killer when I see one"

OH YOU THINK ARYA? THAT'S A HOT TAKE YOU THINK SHE MIGHT BE DANGEROUS?

• Upvote 5

Keep in mind who he was in a room with. A Teddy Ruxpin would suddenly look like a genius strategist next to that competition.

It was okay/10

Spoiler

Like the rest of this season, it was rushed and clumsy (the quick decision to make Bran the king especially so) but still very watchable. My eyes remained glued to the screen for the entire 80 minutes.

I do feel like it was two episodes squished into one, however; as another person has mentioned, Dany dying should have been the end of the penultimate episode and then more time devoted to the aftermath in the final episode.

Some of the imagery was brilliant, though. Dany's wings and Drogon shaking off the snow in particular.

In my overall list of favourite TV dramas, it's not in the same god-level tier as Sopranos, Breaking Bad or The Wire, but it's still pretty damn good. I've certainly enjoyed watching it for the last 8 years and I think it's great how it's created opportunities for so many young British actors.

• Upvote 1

Pleased it's over.

Season 8 has been all over the place.

Poorly paced, poorly written and (other than some decent action) blandly executed a lot of the time. Which is perhaps its worse crime, given what came before.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 3
  • Empathy 2