rllmuk
Daley

Game of Thrones - No Book Chat. NONE. The Books don't exist.

Where they went wrong IMO given the end outcome, was in not making the fight against the NK the main focus of last season, which would have then given more time this season to focus on the fight against Cersai and Dany's turn.  It ultimately all just felt too rushed.

That was rather good but still felt rushed. I've kinda just got used to it I suppose.

But come on, THE EDMURE TULLY SPEECH was pure class. Highlight of the entire series.

• Upvote 6

12 minutes ago, scottcr said:

Reveal hidden contents

I think if they'd done that - the show would've gone on for about 3 episodes and with no action it would've fizzled out.  It's not hard to fill in the time with your imagination. 

Spoiler

No, it's not hard, but watching events unfold is entertaining

If they attempt it and it's not, they've done it badly. If they don't attempt it - as is the case here - then it's bland.

It's a nice trick, the "use your imagination" idea, as it puts the blame on the viewer for not being satisfied with plot beats. Like they're so dumb they can't even piece together the obvious. 

No - fuck that. Plot beats aren't a story, they're the shell of a story. The goodness lies on the path between them, and Game of Thrones was oh so good at that.

It was.

• Upvote 5

4 minutes ago, Mawdlin said:

That was rather good but still felt rushed. I've kinda just got used to it I suppose.

But come on, THE EDMURE TULLY SPEECH was pure class. Highlight of the entire series.

Spoiler

Especially catching his sword on the post when he went to sit down.  Nice touch.:hat:

yes Tully speech and Brienne’s journalling the highlight of the episode and possibly season. It was kind of ok. Maybe thanks to the imp.

So can we assume Bran 

Spoiler

was warging into Jon's dragon the whole time? I'm glad that's sort of a mystery, as is brans relationship with the night king.

Just now, Pete said:

So can we assume Bran 

Hide contents

was warging into Jon's dragon the whole time? I'm glad that's sort of a mystery, as is brans relationship with the night king.

there's some theories that he was controlling drogon at points - but I think it's left open to interpretation.  He does say that he'll go and find Drogon though so I think he melted the throne of his own accord.

8 minutes ago, Pete said:

So can we assume Bran 

Hide contents

I hate

Spoiler

that his relationship to the NK isn't known. This massive campaign launched by the NK to kill rhe world of man but to leave the three eyed raven to him and we have no idea why. All I can think of is that Bran is the only one that knows how to kill him and that's why he gave Ayra the dagger. But it was only a Valyrian Steel dagger, there wasn't some special way to do itm

The social media backlash to the GoT ending and towards GoT watchers in general, especially the memes popping up about Breaking Bad or Lost, are internet culture at it's worst.

No wonder our politics is fucked when people are stirring up division over the conclusion of a decent TV show.

• Upvote 8

On 24/04/2019 at 15:00, Steely said:

I'm calling it:

Spoilered due to likely accuracy of my predictions. 

Hide contents

Dani to betray Jon Snow in Battle. Not doing the deed herself but leaving him for Dead along with a dragon who doesnt follow her when summoned but stays with Jon looking doomed, she retreats to the Iron Island with the final few surviving troops, dishing out a few dragon piggie backs to a handful or her besties like Tyrion, Hollyoaks girl and her grandad and then a few of the other survivors she doesn't really like (Sansa, Sam, Jaime) have to ride on the ships and meet up at the iron Island.

The Dead march on to kings landing, picking up the pace a bit obviously since we dont have 15 seasons for them to keep up the same MPH. Its then Cersies turn to take on the Night King with Dr Frankenstein. The Night King plows through the Golden Army or what ever they are called, mainly because they don't have Elephants, which makes them fucking useless.

Meanwhile Dani is rallying the troops at the iron island because she really really wants a pointy chair more than anything, and if the Night King takes King Landing and its population, it is essentially the end of days. She starts to go off the deep end because Sam doesn't buy her bullshit story about how Jon died, as he reveals Jons lineage to everyone else, she toasts him for treason, plus she loves barbecued Tarlys. It makes everyone a little uncomfortable but they dont have dragons, what are they going to do about it and plus only Jon really cared about Sam. Someone else pipes up, she toasts them too because she is mad Queen now and they want to hammer that point home.

Back to Kings Landing and just as the Night King is taking the throne room, everyone arrives from the iron islands to  try and save the day. But Cercie with Frankenmountain are face to face with the Night King already, Cersie is all smug thinking the Mountain can take on the Night King, but the Night King turns him before he even draws his sword, he turns around  kills her in brutal mountain fashion. Maybe not the way he did the Nun, more the Viper.

The Night King and his henchmen strut through the throne room and he takes his seat on the Iron Throne whilst the fighting rumbles on outside and our heroes (Plus Dani, who we dont like anymore.) are being overwellmed by the ever growing number of dead, but cut to the night king and bam! he is then stabbed through the heart by one of his own henchman, with a fancy Valyrian Steel Dagger! Its Arya wearing a deadmans face, she has been undercover since Winterfell! All the dead drop and the path is cleared for Dani.

She comes into the throne room and takes her seat on the Throne. All of a sudden another dragon rocks up, its Jon Snow! Here to claim the throne, she tries to instruct her dragon to toast him but it wont do it, they are loyal to Jon now. Plus she is a bit Mad. Jon Snow has her taken away because he is nice like that but she isnt done yet, she takes on last attempt to kill Jon but Bron from nowhere cuts her down with a crossbow, 'alright lads, what did a miss? lol". Jon takes his seat on the Throne, looking well mopey about it.

But because he doesnt really want to be king, he has the throne destroyed and forms a democracy, where the true game of thrones begins!

The end.

Looking back at my pre Battle of Winterfell predictions, clearly I absolutely nailed it. (The part about the golden Company being utterly useless and nothing else. :lol:)

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, scottcr said:

Enjoyed that

Hide contents

so basically Bran knew all along and was letting it all happen.

Spoiler

He had a bit of a shit eating grin as he accepted it.

Im guessing Dany is still going to be alive.

looking forward to the sequels

3 minutes ago, grindmouse said:

The social media backlash to the GoT ending and towards GoT watchers in general, especially the memes popping up about Breaking Bad or Lost, are internet culture at it's worst.

No wonder our politics is fucked when people are stirring up division over the conclusion of a decent TV show.

It's pathetic and rude. No matter what you think you have to applaud it as a whole, and as a whole it's the best fantasy drama ever made and in my top ten TV series as well.

As I've been here from the start, and because I'm a massive geek, I feel quite defensive of it now. Thanks to you all for making it so fun to watch with, and for recommending it all back in 2012.

Going back to Bran,

Spoiler

I think l reckon he was controlling when Jon was riding, but actually glad that's left open.

• Upvote 6

1 hour ago, Ork1927 said:

Tyrion

Hide contents

Managed to get himself imprisoned and sentenced to death by:

The Starks/Tully’s

The Llanister’s

The Targaryen’s

Escaped them all.

He never could stay the...

Spoiler

Imprisoned.

Spoiler

hqdefault.jpg

• Upvote 2

Well, I had part of this accidentally spoiled...

Spoiler

That John kills Dany. Although to be honest, I don't think it would have been a huge surprise anyway. I was kind of expecting it after the last episode. What did surprise me is that Bran ended up on the throne. Totally didn't see that one coming, as he's barely been able to string a sentence together for the last few seasons.

Overall, the episode wasn't bad. It looked amazing: the walk through the decimated city at the beginning, the dragon's wings unfurling behind Dany as she walked towards the camera, to name just two.

The way the Unsullied and the rest of her army just kind of pissed off after she was killed, reminded me of the ending of Death Wish 3. :lol:

The one part of the episode that really made me wince was Brienne slamming that book shut without even letting the ink dry. :o

• Upvote 4

12 minutes ago, probotector said:

Hide contents

He had a bit of a shit eating grin as he accepted it.

Im guessing Dany is still going to be alive.

looking forward to the sequels

Dany is dead - unless she's taken to a red preistess... the Targaryen's have history with that lot too.

• Upvote 1

I thought the

we'll see in about 10 years

line was more or less an acknowledgement that everyone would go their separate ways, but inevitably be back when enough of their careers had fizzled out to do a Friends-style (probably Scrubs style) Season 9. 

I enjoyed it. I sort of came to peace that the show was a different beast a few seasons back.

Spoiler

It's just a shame that the Jon/Dany moment (from madness to death) was the conclusion of about what? 60-100mins? Felt like it was a 4-6 episode conclusion (at least) squeezed into 1 episode. I don't know, I also grumbled in earlier seasons that often felt like 8 episodes of (high quality) yapping and 2 episodes of shit hitting the fan. 

Spoiler

I kind of felt there was an entire half season's worth of story that could have been told about tyrant Danny's rampage across Westeros, which would eventually lead up to what Jon has to do. Have to end it sometime though I suppose.

Spoiler

I really like Jon’s ending and I mentioned in the thread earlier that he would end up alone and go his separate ways and be free.

Even better that he ended up back with Ghost who got his good boy cuddle, although Snow could have been a bit more excited to see him! 

8 minutes ago, scottcr said:

tempted to re-read Feast for Crows and Dance of Dragons now... TWOW can't be that far away now SURELY?!

Just a few, short, decades to go...

• Upvote 2

Spoiler

I think we now know why it had to be 6 episodes long: petting the direwolf used up half the effects budget.

• Upvote 3

7 hours ago, Pete said:

So can we assume Bran 

Hide contents

The problem now is that we're either drawn to assume that...

Bran's Keyser Soze, or a completely redundant leaf in the wind. The middle ground's to accept a fudge where he only gets to see events at random, which is the least satisfying solution because it's the only one that fits without further insight. Deduction says the writers were lazy, in other words, leaving an invitation to use our imaginations to take up their slack.

If Dany's Nazi Venger, Bran's the Dungeon Master.

• Upvote 2

11 minutes ago, scottcr said:

tempted to re-read Feast for Crows and Dance of Dragons now... TWOW can't be that far away now SURELY?!

2020 at absolute earliest.

3 minutes ago, Escaped said:

The problem now is that we're either drawn to assume that...

Hide contents

Bran's Keyser Soze, or a completely redundant leaf in the wind. The middle ground's to accept a fudge where he only gets to see events at random, which is the least satisfying solution because it's the only one that fits without more insight.

If Dany's Nazi Venger with her badath-mom wings, Bran's the Dungeon Master.

Spoiler

It also makes him out to be a dick.

Why would he reveal Jon’s lineage if he knew he would never be king?

Why the drama!