rllmuk
Daley

Game of Thrones - No Book Chat. NONE. The Books don't exist.

40 minutes ago, Naieve said:

are the characters not a bit younger in the books also? cos throwing a strop at a party, hiding in her room and then having a big tantrum would probably work fine if she was 15

I had the younger generation in my head as around 14-15 for older ones like Rob and Jon while Arya and Joffrey were around 11-12.

I imagined Jaime and Cersei being younger than Ned, maybe around early to mid 30s at the start to Ned's late 30s/early 40s.

Jaimie was maybe 16yrs old when he became King Slayer, and GoT starts around 15 years later...so Dany is 15 at the start of GoT as she was born just after the Mad King died.

16 minutes ago, whizzo said:

And Im afraid Its been as damaging to his books as the Lack of time is to the tv show

You may be right. It's not like he hasn't been writing though, he has released a couple of books in between, he is also preparing for the HBO prequels. Maybe he has simply lost interest and he is struggling to devote the necessary time. 

2 hours ago, probotector said:

I had the younger generation in my head as around 14-15 for older ones like Rob and Jon while Arya and Joffrey were around 11-12.

I imagined Jaime and Cersei being younger than Ned, maybe around early to mid 30s at the start to Ned's late 30s/early 40s.

Jaimie was maybe 16yrs old when he became King Slayer, and GoT starts around 15 years later...so Dany is 15 at the start of GoT as she was born just after the Mad King died.

That all sounds mental though and would look like Biker Grove.

I guess that’s the point. Ned and Robert would have been early 20s during the rebellion just like Dany and Jon are now.

The main theme of the series was supposed to be the handing over of power of the old generation to the new.

If you look at Roberts Rebellion and also what’s happening now, all of the old generation have been more or less wiped away and the eventual battle is now the younger generation. 

Battle of the Bastards being another example.

3 hours ago, probotector said:

Tyrian himself has his doubts, it’s just his plot stupidity that prevents him from acting.

He’ll betray her next ep, so it was just a wasted death. 

It would have been more strategic to see how it all played out.

He already has betrayed her by freeing Jaime. Although I reckon she knew he would when she told Tyrion that Jaime has been captured.

2 hours ago, probotector said:

while Arya and Joffrey were around 11-12.

I think Joffrey is only around seven years old in the books. He's a spoiled little shit, but that's as far as it goes. They REALLY beefed up his role for the show, and I'm glad they did because I think he was the best thing in it by miles with Dance a distant second place. The moments they shared on screen together really were Peak GoT™.

"I."

"Am."

"THE KING!!!"

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, scottcr said:

here... a question...

so, way back in the day, they defeated the Night King before... (with the cave drawings under Dragonstone) but he came back.

How did they defeat him before?  

He's coming back isn't he?

TUNE INTO "GAME OF THRONES: STUPID FUCKING PREQUEL" TO FIND OUT!

4 hours ago, Zael said:

Right sorry I should have been clearer. The books talk a bit about how they were defeated before but the books never had a Night King. The show does but doesn't explain how he was defeated before. I guess you could say he was driven north with his army and penned in by the wall. 

"Hang on while we build this massive wall that'll take us centuries to make. Dont mind us, just take a nap or something!"

:blink:

• Upvote 1

I’m sure GRRM said somewhere that in hindsight he made everyone too young in the first book but was then kinda stuck with it. I presume he was going for that noncey medieval vibe where everyone got married off aged 12, but all the characters tend to talk and act older than they actually are. The TV show ages work a lot better, with the added bonus that Khal Drogo isn’t a massive paedo.

• Upvote 3

5 hours ago, Harsin said:

A Dance with Dances

Dances with Direwolves

5 hours ago, Shoes said:

I thought Jonathan Pryce was phenomenal, despite his arc dragging for a thousand years.

Yeah, he came along when it was on the turn and did some great work. I think the problem is that King's Landing was a political threeway between him, Cersei and Olenna, because Tywin was gone and Tyrion had fled with Varys. No Joffrey, even. Rigg also did great work, but KL needed more players after S4.

4 hours ago, Benny said:
  Reveal hidden contents

I honestly don't care how "realistic" or "believable" Danny flipping was now. I'm basking in all of her fan's rage. Because when it happened on screen, despite how over the top the turn was, I was pretty much just thinking, "Fucking finally! Now everyone has to admit she's a villain, Hurrah!" But no, the internet still can't accept things they don't like or that make them feel bad.

I think it should've happened much sooner, so that she'd have been able to oscillate between good and bad deeds to keep our opinions in flux. That was the genius of Jaime (till they ruined him). Instead of building her arc towards this eventuality, but then putting her evil actions on ice for a couple of years to serve a big reveal that wasn't. It very obviously put audience reaction above a nuanced approach, giving up potential for a couple of seasons of sharp writing for a one-time shock that fell on its arse for many of us.

6 hours ago, Talk Show Host said:

I'm not sure I agree with this. The main problem the tv show has is lack of time to properly resolve its story arcs, so things are happening at breakneck speeds. Martin has plenty of time to make everything develop nicely (that's what books are for surely). Even if the story remains roughly the same, with Danny going insane for example, it will be much more expanded and satisfying in the books. 

Yeah but while she is doing that you'll have loads of characters plodding around waiting for her to go mad for their arcs to move - if her decent is slow why would all these people still support her...it has to be some what rapid?

20 minutes ago, Wroth said:

Plenty of reasons they would have time to explore: fear, hope, self delusion, love, owing a debt of loyalty etc.

But people are already hating on characters for staying with Daenerys when her decent was relativity rapid, for her to slowly go mad you would have to have her still be making more and more erratic behaviour which would make it increasingly hard for people not to realise they backed the wrong person...

Not that it couldn't easily been done but there are going to be difficulties with both approaches that would have to be over come as we are getting to the end of people's arcs there is less for them to do, while others still could do with more time.

People are hating on characters for acting out of character and for bad writing. Both Tyrion and Varys served under Joffrey for seasons knowing full well he was a lunatic and people didn't hate them for that.

I don't get your bit about there not being enough time - weren't you just now responding to a hypothetical argument in which there would be enough time?

22 minutes ago, Wroth said:

People are hating on characters for acting out of character and for bad writing. Both Tyrion and Varys served under Joffrey for seasons knowing full well he was a lunatic and people didn't hate them for that.

I don't get your bit about there not being enough time - weren't you just now responding to a hypothetical argument in which there would be enough time?

Don't think the Joffrey comparison is fair as they didn't support Joffrey.

What I mean is i get the arguement that there could have been more time spent on Deanerys descent but a lot of the other characters would need stuff to do while this is happening and as the story is getting towards the end that might end up meaning they had filler plot that was equally unsatisfying, you know what I mean?

I think so, but It seems weird to assume that, in a scenario with more time to flesh out Dany's arc, that only that character's arc would be fleshed out, while everyone else's remains frozen or replaced with a filler arc. I don't think that's what TSH's post was implying anyway.

I'm basing that on the last book really, there were some quite dull strands for some characters and it very much felt they were treading water waiting for other characters arcs to get to the place where all the strands could come together.

Just had a massive part of the last episode spoiled by a Metro headline on my chrome home screen. I would recommend turning off suggested content if you wanna stay ahead of it.

I might seek that out. I won't be able to watch the final episode until over a week after its aired, so I'll be damned if I'm staying out of here till then. It was similar this week. I went full in on the spoilers and feel like I probably enjoyed the episode more, and certainly gave it more attention. I'd never deliberately spoil something for someone else, but spoilers get a pretty bad rap.

• Empathy 1

44 minutes ago, LongHairStu said:

I might seek that out. I won't be able to watch the final episode until over a week after its aired, so I'll be damned if I'm staying out of here till then. It was similar this week. I went full in on the spoilers and feel like I probably enjoyed the episode more, and certainly gave it more attention. I'd never deliberately spoil something for someone else, but spoilers get a pretty bad rap.

I definitely like to go into any show or movie knowing as little as possible, but the BBC an article the other week about people who actively seek out spoilers. The most common reasons seemed to be either quashing anxiety about not knowing what would happen and/or enjoying analysing the build up and spotting all the signs to what they know is coming. I do like doing that, but want to save it for a second viewing!

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Raoull duke said:

Just had a massive part of the last episode spoiled by a Metro headline on my chrome home screen. I would recommend turning off suggested content if you wanna stay ahead of it.

Thanks for the warning- absolute scumbag move from Metro there. I recall them spoiling the Red Wedding in a similar fashion with a double page spread on the day of transmission. Staying off social media because people can't help themselves should be enough.

Last week I posted about the Express spoiling the penultimate episode via Google News and luckily it turned out to be nothing more than speculative clickbait. Let's hope your spoiler is just more of the same.

A lot of sites seem to consider the events of a GOT episode to be breaking news. Maybe they’ve toned it down in recent years, but during previous seasons I deleted The Guardian, The Independent and a few other random news sites from my Favourites list after I got up at 0640 on Monday morning and saw spoilerific pictures and headlines which they’d decided needed to go on the front page of the site as soon as possible after the US/2am airing. Never added them back either, despite previously being daily reads.

I think on Monday I’ll be Rllmuk only (and well away from this thread!) until I’ve seen the finale.

6 hours ago, Raoull duke said:

Just read the Metro film spoiler, its speculation nothing confirmed...… despite the headline being "GoT cast confirm...."

I'm on holiday at the moment so won't be able to watch the last episode until Thursday at the earliest, but while I'm not going to go out of my way to seek spoilers, I'm not sure how bothered I'll be if it gets inadvertently ruined for me. I guess it all depends on what actually goes on and whether something vaguely clever or surprising happens, which I seriously doubt it will. 

10 hours ago, kensei said:

I've been watching old clips on YouTube and depressing myself about good this used to be

I said Tywin skinning a deer was my favourite scene, but this is a close second. I always really really loved this scene. To me this is everything Game of Thrones is about, encapsulated perfectly. 

It might have been posted upthread, but it's become apparent that Nikolaj Coster-Waldau fought with the muppets writing his character for a lot of the last couple of series. He's pretty open about it in this interview around the 8 minute mark.