IGNORED

Game of Thrones - No Book Chat. NONE. The Books don't exist.

Daley

And the episode with the Sons of the Harpy.

She didn’t know who was responsible so rounded up all the leaders of the various families, picked one at random and got her dragons to burn him alive and eat the remains in front of al the other leaders.

15 hours ago, gizmo1990 said:

Im not sure that’s true at all. Didn’t d&d approach Martin themselves and effectively pitch the series personally and how they wanted to present it. Martin was impressed with their knowledge of the material and therefore gave them sole ownership of the adaptation. Therefore I’d argue they knew exactly what they were getting into. Once it became clear that they were going to run out of source material, I’m sure they had unprecedented access to grrm for info and direction.

12 hours ago, probotector said:

Exactly.

Im pretty sure HBO are not happy with the situation and neither is GRRM but it’s out of their hands.

GRRM was too trusting of these two idiots, or dumb and dumber as they are no affectionately referred to.

Sorry but what use is ‘unprecedented access’ to someone who also has no idea how to end this story? That same someone who has spent over a decade with the same problems and would seemingly rather spend the last few years of his life enjoying newfound success. I mean fair play to him, he doesn’t owe anyone anything.

Something that aggravates when people say ‘they should have just done this’ is that those hypothetical solutions often bear no relation at all to the real life deadlines, budgetary restraints and practical limitations that the actual writers/producers/directors needed to. A few months is not a long time to write 8+ hours of content which wraps up 15+ characters arcs when locations managers, production designers and VFX supervisors are breathing down your neck to get started. 

34 minutes ago, Benny said:

You're forgetting her burning people alive for not bending the knee after simply defending their homeland. Or that woman who had her family destroyed who she burned alive. She's been killing people out of convenience or as a show of power for ages. She styled herself as someone "breaking chains" because it suited her and gave her a power trip, not because she ever gave a shit about anything that didn't help her. Burning Sam's dad and brother was pretty dark. I can easily see anyone doing that having little regard for innocents later on.

You can tell the attitude of a likely ruler by how they treat their enemies. She's never been one for mercy. And a merciless ruler can very easily flip to becoming genocidal with the right stimulus.

All small fry really compared to outright murdering millions of people. At least with those people she gave them an option to bend the knee to her. Here she just torched them all up without even trying. Once people refused to bend to her she classed them as enemies, what here? A preemptive strike?

But like I said, I know the foreshadowing has been there and I was half expecting something like this to happen but it's the execution and development this season into what she did that was so poor that it felt unearned. 

But lets face it, there never really was an option was there? She's an evil tyrant. That isn't freedom, it's still another form of slavery. Her turn happened pretty quickly in the last episode granted, but to say the signs were not yet there that she could do this at some point in the near future is missing huge amounts of evil acts she's already done. And that's with people holding her back.

I'm honestly over the moon that the mask has now slipped.

1 hour ago, Benny said:

Her turn happened pretty quickly in the last episode granted, but to say the signs were not yet there ...

No-one's saying the signs were not there! That's not the argument at all!

2 hours ago, Zael said:

I don't think anyone would argue against the fact that there's groundwork laid to bring Dany to this conclusion. I think the thing many people, myself included have a problem with is that while the groundwork was laid there was more to do. Yes she was hard on her enemies, but so were a lot of our heroes. The Starks are portayed as the "good" house and Arya murdered a whole house and fed their remains to the head of it, Sansa fed Ramsey to a pack of starving dogs, Robb decapitated a father and son because they disobeyed him. The world of GoT is a harsh one. 

These sorts of reactions to antagonists by our heroes is a normal one. Burning a city of 500,000 to the ground does not fit into that norm. It's not a punishment it's an act of wanton genocide brought on by madness. Dany had the city she could have taken it without much more bloodshed. But she chose to burn the city to the ground and we're expected to believe that it was because of some sort of genetic madness that the show put almost no effort into showing. 

This is the thing.  There’s enough in there that you could assume an intent of what the writers are going for.  And for some people that’s enough, and sometimes it is.  But I think a lot of people need them to be explicit in why she was doing what she was doing.  I think there was a intent to make it seem like she viewed the people in kings landing a complicit in Cersei’s rule, and combined with losing a dragon and her closest advisor to her, coupled with everything else like not being loved by the people, it could have been enough for her to decide that they deserved to be purged, as well as being an act of power.  I don’t know if for sure though. It’s not been enforced nearly enough for me to be sure of it.

Of course it’s possible that in the next episode we’ll get given something about that and it could turn out to be something like bran fucking warging into Drogon for funsies as revenge for Ned while Dany spent the entire last third screaming at Drogon to stop.  Laugh at that last line all you want as well, but I know people who actually think that because you don’t see her close enough to see her face from the point of her starting her rampage.

37 minutes ago, Harsin said:

whp23lw4i2z21.png

Euron also kind of forgot he was voted King of the Iron Islands at the kingsmoot 2 seasons ago, instead using the fact he fucked Cersei as his argument that he's a king.

18 minutes ago, Nicky said:

is it out there then?

Script details are. I know someone who read them all (fuck knows why) and said everything he read has so far happened.

Seriously though, just imagine spending 8 years watching a TV series to just go and read the plot details of the final season cause you're impatient. Fucking ridiculous.

I’ve done the opposite, I watched the first season and a bit of the second and have jumped back in on the last two episodes :)

was pretty epic TV, but I was left imagining if she had rocked up with three dragons....,

Not as crazy as the million people who signed a petition to get the final season remade. 

Now i I may not be happy with everything that’s been done, but people have some serious entitlement issues to deal with 

22 minutes ago, Stigweard said:

Script details are. I know someone who read them all (fuck knows why) and said everything he read has so far happened.

Seriously though, just imagine spending 8 years watching a TV series to just go and read the plot details of the final season cause you're impatient. Fucking ridiculous.

I stumbled across them before Christmas and they've been spot on so far...

From a comment I read:

E3 villain: the Night King

E4 villain: Cersei

E5 villain: Dany (or Bran)

As my last word on Dany, I'd like to compare her to Stannis, because they've both been similarly portrayed in terms of their actions, and yet lots of fans have separated them on the good-evil spectrum until now. It's maybe the case that viewers' love for Dany deviated her course somewhat to satisfy them? Only Gurm might know. I think it shows what a difference their themes made (uplifting versus sombre), but most of all how predisposed we are to grizzled men and pretty women by convention. Hence Cersei's against-type popularity.

Thrones' error was in not going the extra mile to highlight a great many viewers' oversights re: Dany's morality. Her heel turn was undercooked for sure, but the fact that some were caught completely off-guard by it is the real problem. It just needed more transition to bridge viewers without insulting the more alert ones' intelligence.

21 minutes ago, Anne Summers said:

Wasn't there a somewhat popular petition calling for the most recent Star Wars trilogy to be scrapped and remade?

The entitlement of some fans is hilarious. 

yu159lgsq4z21.jpg?width=960&crop=smart&a

Those thinking Bran had a hand in The Bells simply have nothing to go on.  Just like the Night King/Bran theories.  There has been sod all to substantiate these bigger theories and they won't and can't spend time on a left turn like that.

The only way Bran would pull a Bran is if something happens adjacent to him, but I don't think they're gonna march back to Winterfel for that.  Which leads me to believe unless Sansa comes down south to agitate for Jon, that's the last we've seen of her.

All the writing is so proximal now.  It's all blunt force trauma. 

Besides, why would Bran give a shit.  He's not Bran anymore.

Bit of fun but anyone who has apple maps on the iPhone /iPads search for The Titanic Exhibition Centre in Belfast. right beside it is the kings landing set from last week that you can check out and explore  In 3D  (also the titanic studios where they film the series)