Jump to content
rllmuk
Daley

Game of Thrones - No Book Chat. NONE. The Books don't exist.

Recommended Posts

I didn't mind the Dany heel turn reveal given the corner they've backed themselves into by finishing it this quickly but it would have made more narrative sense if Grey Worm were taken out by a random arrow after the bells rang. Cue murder fire but with an emotional catalyst.

  • Upvote 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, abc said:

 

History's full of conquering armies going apeshit on a city's defenders and population, whether or not their commanders wanted it. The pillaging was one part of the episode that rang true for me.

 

Yeah, I’ve had time to think about it.

 

It was pretty realistic, very much battle of Berlin as someone mentioned.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I had a lot of problem with yesterday's episode but I think the end of Varys (and the end of Littlefinger the season before) just show how far the writing has fallen.

 

These two guys are supposed to be at the pinnacle when it comes to scheming and intrigue and court politics. Season 1 hammers this home as Ned despite being at that time the shows hero fails to understand/respect the game, just blurts out his plan and puts trust in everyone and dies as a result.

 

Fast forward a few years and the two guys who are the absolute opposite to Ned when it comes to skill set, die the exact same way as Ned. They both blurt out their plan, asking a fucking Stark of all people to betray someone they obviously love and are both executed as a result. 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, probotector said:

 

Yeah, I’ve had time to think about it.

 

It was pretty realistic, very much battle of Berlin as someone mentioned.

 

Alexander the Great did exactly this kind of stuff when going into new regions/lands... absoloutely set a massive example through fear and the other factions in the region will know they need to bend the knee.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, earlymodernsteve said:

I didn't mind the Dany heel turn reveal given the corner they've backed themselves into by finishing it this quickly but it would have made more narrative sense if Grey Worm were taken out by a random arrow after the bells rang. Cue murder fire but with an emotional catalyst.

 

Spoiler

I think Jon will fight Grey Worm next week

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Zael said:

I had a lot of problem with yesterday's episode but I think the end of Varys (and the end of Littlefinger the season before) just show how far the writing has fallen.

 

These two guys are supposed to be at the pinnacle when it comes to scheming and intrigue and court politics. Season 1 hammers this home as Ned despite being at that time the shows hero fails to understand/respect the game, just blurts out his plan and puts trust in everyone and dies as a result.

 

Fast forward a few years and the two guys who are the absolute opposite to Ned when it comes to skill set, die the exact same way as Ned. They both blurt out their plan, asking a fucking Stark of all people to betray someone they obviously love and are both executed as a result. 

 

Spoiler

But he was betrayed not by Jon but by the other person who is OneNote of the great schemers. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, joemul said:

 

  Hide contents

But he was betrayed not by Jon but by the other person who is OneNote of the great schemers. 

 

 

The problem is how he was betrayed though. He's a master of whispers not a master of telling everyone his thoughts openly. Also the scene before Tyrion tells Dany is him watching Varys talk to Jon. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

methinks for next week...

 



Drogon will refuse to burn Jon... but I'm not sure what happens next.  Drogon is obviously the weapon they need to destroy before they can take out Dany.

 

I do think Arya will make it - but AT WHAT COST.  I reckon she'll kill Greyworm, she's the only one ninja enough.  

 

Tyrion is toast.

 

I still think Bran has something major to do - and I've long had a suspicion that he'll warg into a dragon.  

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

Spoiler

Tyrion, Arya, Jon will all live, I betcha. Jon ends up king. Throne moves to the north. Tyrion married to Sansa, lord of casterly rock. 

Arya probably instrumental in taking down Dany then will go and walk the earth like Jules at the end of pulp fiction. 

Onion knight and anyone still at winterfell will be safe. Bran will do nothing. Again. 

 

Loving the grauniad’s article on the khaleesi naming, there’s 3,500 of them! May as well be called space hitler. 

 

How long do we have to bother with spoiler tags?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, And said:

 

  Hide contents

Tyrion, Arya, Jon will all live, I betcha. Jon ends up king. Throne moves to the north. Tyrion married to Sansa, lord of casterly rock. 

Arya probably instrumental in taking down Dany then will go and walk the earth like Jules at the end of pulp fiction. 

Onion knight and anyone still at winterfell will be safe. Bran will do nothing. Again. 

 

Loving the grauniad’s article on the khaleesi naming, there’s 3,500 of them! May as well be called space hitler. 

 

How long do we have to bother with spoiler tags?

 

For ages. Not everyone can watch it straight away, was lucky to have time last night but usually I'd have been looking at a Thursday evening view :(

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Spectacular episode, probably the best of the series, but...

Spoiler

 

... Dany's turn to the darkside just doesn't work. Now some of this is probably down to the fact that Emilia Clarke is a piss poor actress, but even a great one would have struggled with what they're being asked to convey. It's just not convincing that she would go that loco in such a short space of time. It's also very unthronesy that she does something 100% bad. In proper GoT there could be some debate about whether her actions were justified -- using the dragon would have put an end to a long siege under which ordinary folk were suffering, for example. The other stuff in the episode, aside from Euron's silly fight and the sudden uselessness of the Scorpions, was pretty good but it was all undermined by Dany's unbelievable behaviour. 

 

What was with all the wildfire going off all over the place? Were we supposed to think that Cersei had planted it and that she too was willing to sacrifice the city in order to prevail? If so, then that would have been a good way to trigger Dany into madness. If Grey Worm and a load of unsullied had died in a big green flash then it would have made sense that Dany just thought, 'fuck it, time for a cleansing.'

 

I have to say though that visually it was brilliant. The ash falling like snow was a wonderfully ironic way of showing that the forces unleashed to defeat the NK were unsuitable for mankind; that humanity's greatest enemy is itself. It's a shame that getting to that point has been so rushed and implausible. I don't regret watching it but it's annoying how things have been wasted.

 

 

 

 

 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, labarte said:

What was with all the wildfire going off all over the place? Were we supposed to think that Cersei had planted it and that she too was willing to sacrifice the city in order to prevail?

 

Read the post I placed earlier, Jamie explains it in Season 3 I even posted a vid of it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Grey Worm is Unsullied. Stoic. Castrated. Went through the most horrific training to be unbreakable and completely obedient. But he can't master his emotions. It about gets away with it between his relationship and Daenyrs is on an Archeresqur rampage, but it doesnt exactly fit with what went before. It should be a colder revenge. 

 

I also don't think you can assume anything about the books off the back of this. Not even Dany going bad. GRRM could go anyway he wants, regularly changes ideas, and probably will. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, labarte said:

Spectacular episode, probably the best of the series, but...

  Hide contents

 

... Dany's turn to the darkside just doesn't work. Now some of this is probably down to the fact that Emilia Clarke is a piss poor actress, but even a great one would have struggled with what they're being asked to convey. It's just not convincing that she would go that loco in such a short space of time. It's also very unthronesy that she does something 100% bad. In proper GoT there could be some debate about whether her actions were justified -- using the dragon would have put an end to a long siege under which ordinary folk were suffering, for example. The other stuff in the episode, aside from Euron's silly fight and the sudden uselessness of the Scorpions, was pretty good but it was all undermined by Dany's unbelievable behaviour. 

 

What was with all the wildfire going off all over the place? Were we supposed to think that Cersei had planted it and that she too was willing to sacrifice the city in order to prevail? If so, then that would have been a good way to trigger Dany into madness. If Grey Worm and a load of unsullied had died in a big green flash then it would have made sense that Dany just thought, 'fuck it, time for a cleansing.'

 

I have to say though that visually it was brilliant. The ash falling like snow was a wonderfully ironic way of showing that the forces unleashed to defeat the NK were unsuitable for mankind; that humanity's greatest enemy is itself. It's a shame that getting to that point has been so rushed and implausible. I don't regret watching it but it's annoying how things have been wasted.

 

 

 

 

 

 

Wasn't the wildfire left over from when her dad wanted to burn Kings Landing to the ground?

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Quite surprised by the amount of "the turn was too quick" when talking about a character who had her husband horribly murder her brother and (iirc) crucified a whole city (including children, I think?). She's always been, at best, teetering on the edge of madness...

  • Upvote 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Wickedkitten said:

 

 

  Hide contents

Wasn't the wildfire left over from when her dad wanted to burn Kings Landing to the ground?

 

Spoiler

I thought that they had gathered it all up to defeat the fleet ages ago. But yeah, maybe it just goes to show that Dany is just as mad as her Dad and is simply fulfillig his twisted legacy.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Wickedkitten said:

 

 

  Hide contents

Wasn't the wildfire left over from when her dad wanted to burn Kings Landing to the ground?

 

 

Yes! I didn't catch that on first viewing, but you're right. That was a nice touch.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, kensei said:

I also don't think you can assume anything about the books off the back of this. Not even Dany going bad. GRRM could go anyway he wants, regularly changes ideas, and probably will. 

 

He won't finish them.

  • Upvote 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, ScouserInExile said:

Quite surprised by the amount of "the turn was too quick" when talking about a character who had her husband horribly murder her brother and (iirc) crucified a whole city (including children, I think?). She's always been, at best, teetering on the edge of madness...

 

She has a penchant for revenge, but not to this point, genocidal rampage. 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Lorfarius said:

 

He won't finish them.

 

I think we'll get Winds and then someone else will piece together a version of Dream from a load of notes. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, kensei said:

 

I think we'll get Winds and then someone else will piece together a version of Dream from a load of notes. 

 

His need to push them out the door quicker has long gone now with the show finishing and he's never been one for doing these things quickly. I don't think he will even finish the current one, there's been very little on it for years.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, labarte said:
  Hide contents

I thought that they had gathered it all up to defeat the fleet ages ago. But yeah, maybe it just goes to show that Dany is just as mad as her Dad and is simply fulfillig his twisted legacy.

 

 

Spoiler

Pretty sure we got a scene at some point of Cersei asking Qyburn to make more. I took the small green flashes as a sign that the Wildfire was pretty insignificant when competent to a real dragon, and as a signifier that Cersei’s previous power (which she used to destroy the sept) was swallowed up and made totally insignificant when compared to Drogon.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, Lorfarius said:

 

For ages. Not everyone can watch it straight away, was lucky to have time last night but usually I'd have been looking at a Thursday evening view :(

Yeah mate no. See you on thursday evening :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It’s definitely the same horse in the literal sense of them using it twice on set, but I don’t think it’s supposed to be his horse because it’s got a different bridle on. It’s a pretty clear scene described to them by Martin as something he imagined in the final book, but the context isn’t possible in the show because they killed off Dany’s white horse in season 2.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Spoiler

Very amusing to see people on Twitter so transparently trying to defend or find some way to justify what their precious Danny did, because they had clearly previously decided she was their favourite "goodie" despite all the clearly horrible things she's done across all the seasons.

 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Use of this website is subject to our Privacy Policy, Terms of Use, and Guidelines.