IGNORED

Game of Thrones - No Book Chat. NONE. The Books don't exist.

Daley

GoT is anything but consistent. It went from the mind bending plot developments of GRRM to the ham-fisted, back of a fag packet fan-fic of Benioff and Weiss as soon as they ran out of book. They did a good job at interpreting what had been written by someone else, but haven;t got a clue how to write narrative by themselves.

I’m enjoying these last episodes but I’d be amazed if any of this poorly written, rushed, out of character nonsense was anywhere to be seen in the novels, if they ever arrive.

Also, it’s hilarious that Disney have chosen these two to write the new Star Wars! That’s like hiring Anthony Worrel Thompson to do a gig at Wembley while Bob Dylan does the catering.

3 minutes ago, womblingfree said:

GoT is anything but consistent. It went from the mind bending plot developments of GRRM to the ham-fisted, back of a fag packet fan-fic of Benioff and Weiss as soon as they ran out of book. They did a good job at interpreting what had been written by someone else, but haven;t got a clue how to write narrative by themselves.

I’m enjoying these last episodes but I’d be amazed if any of this poorly written, rushed, out of character nonsense was anywhere to be seen in the novels, if they ever arrive.

If the last book had been accurately portrayed on the series people would absolutely lose their shit at the stuff that went on but I agree that the show was at it's best when D&D could take the best bits from the books and cut away the crap.

4 minutes ago, womblingfree said:

Also, it’s hilarious that Disney have chosen these two to write the new Star Wars! That’s like hiring Anthony Worrel Thompson to do a gig at Wembley while Bob Dylan does the catering.

Ι'd say that's pretty consistent with what we are getting with the last two SW films. One is little more than fan service and the other devoid of much sense in its narrative. 

:D

I hope it’s like Gantz, where they did an anime which ended abruptly (and poorly) while the manga went on for years of more mind bending lunacy.

In fact not sure why they had to wrap it up so suddenly? Surely they could just have got some different show runners if they’re just doing their own thing anyway?

As for the books, this blog from 2013 makes a good case that this is all heavily foreshadowed.

https://meereeneseblot.wordpress.com/2013/10/05/untangling-the-meereenese-knot-part-iv-a-darker-daenerys/

Which is all pretty apt. If you take the theme of the show to be the way the Middle Ages just fucked over everyone caught between lords and their wars, then the last episode was necessary, and not really out of nowhere.

Ayra and Hound got past the Stark Guards and entered Kings Landing (we saw common folk entering the city before the battle) then they barged through the crowds and got into the courtyard of the Red Keep just before the gates where closed.

We didn't see them get into the keep itself, we caught up with them in the map room but at that point the surrender bells had been rung and Drogon had started blasting the building so I doubt there was a load of guards desperate to stick on door duty.

1 hour ago, Delargey said:

I rewatched today and it looked like he took out two of the Queensgaurd by aiming for the throat. 

The Hound is presented as one of the best fighters in Westeros, i think. Littlefinger mentions that he heard "Brienne defeated the Hound in single combat" which means that he is at least a well known fighter.

Plus, being a member of the Kings Guard isn't necessarily a sign of the best of the best anymore. Both Bronn and the Hound were both pretty dismissive of Myren Trants skill as a fighter. 

Syrio Forel was one of the greatest swordsmen in Essos, but fell to full plated swordsmen. He only had a broken wooden sword yes, but at the point we left him there were real swords lying about from. The people he'd knocked out. 

You don't have to be the best of the best to make it difficult. The show has demonstrated that a few times. Again, it's okay, you can argue it, but GoT didn't used to be like other shows, most of the time. Now it is. 

30 minutes ago, kensei said:

Syrio Forel was one of the greatest swordsmen in Essos, but fell to full plated swordsmen. He only had a broken wooden sword yes, but at the point we left him there were real swords lying about from. The people he'd knocked out. 

You don't have to be the best of the best to make it difficult. The show has demonstrated that a few times. Again, it's okay, you can argue it, but GoT didn't used to be like other shows, most of the time. Now it is. 

You think that Syrio Forel picked up the Lannister sword and was still defeated by Meryn Trant?

Syrio easily knocking 4 people in armour with just a bit of wood shows that a great sword fighter can beat people with an advantage...so it doesn't really seem that crazy for me for the Hound to dispatch them. 

It seems like a nit pic to me, but fair enough if it bugged you.

3 hours ago, Harsin said:

/Curb Your Enthusiasm music

Oh boy, on the one hand I kinda feel sorry for the Star Wars fans, on the other I'm getting my popcorn.gifs ready to watch the fallout of this inevitable* galactic trainwreck unfold.

*Assuming that they actually did their best on the final few seasons of GoT and didn't just Aliens Colonial Marines it.

7 minutes ago, Mr. Gerbik said:

Oh boy, on the one hand I kinda feel sorry for the Star Wars fans, on the other I'm getting my popcorn.gifs ready to watch the fallout of this inevitable* galactic trainwreck unfold.

It'll be fine for the first few movies, but hit the rails when the last one is only 30min long as they rush off to their next job.

2 hours ago, Broker said:

They blended in with the refugees that Cersei was letting in, who were mentioned twice.

Arya and the Hound got a lot closer when travelling together and she removed him from her list.

Maybe if you paid more attention you might understand more, as it is it doesn’t sound like it’s the show that’s stupid.

Wow, that's a bit harsh! Sorry for "wading in" and offering an opinion. Isn't this a discussion forum?

3 hours ago, joemul said:

Reveal hidden contents

Hold on, your saying that I’m a sensible world they should be able to match up to someone on a full grown dragon and simply arrest them?

Reveal hidden contents

I don’t think he was aware there were flames directly below - he pushed him through a wall. 

That's what I mean — Dany has to dismount before they can touch her. Drogon'd risk hurting her if they used her as a shield, because he's not equipped for that sort of combat. She can only land by the Northmen now if the Unsullied and Dothraki remain loyal.

And re: Cleganebowl, its now-famous image shows Drogon's fiery flyby as the Hound squares up to the Mountain unperturbed.

I don't think many of us were bothered about having confirmation of Syrio's death, we just wanted to know why. Our best inference is that he Father Lovejoyed himself because he was tired of killing.

Fuck me, they sure did swap out the writing for action and special effects.

I was with this season, right up to EP3 which I really, really enjoyed but it feels a bit like a Bay film now. I'm not hating, I mean I enjoyed it and I'm obviously in for the last episode but it definitely lacks that spark of the writing in earlier seasons, it's really showing in these last few eps for me.

We just have to be realistic here.

Weve had 10years Of build up.

If we didn’t see the sack of kings landing, it would have been an anti climax. 

A game of thrones isnt just scheming. You have to get your hands dirty.

Its still brave to show a “good guy” carrying out acts like this and from what DD are saying, she hasn’t turned to the dark side.

Danys  now a complex character like Winston “war criminal” Churchill who gassed and fire bombed millions 

2 minutes ago, probotector said:

Its still brave to show a “good guy” carrying out acts like this and from what DD are saying, she hasn’t turned to the dark side.

How many children do you have to indiscriminately set alight before you are a definite villan? If they try that angle in the next show they've lost the plot completely. 

8 minutes ago, probotector said:

She is 100% dead as Elvis next episode.  They have to say that to try and maintain some semblance of suspense.:hat:

5 minutes ago, kensei said:

How many children do you have to indiscriminately set alight before you are a definite villan? If they try that angle in the next show they've lost the plot completely. 

How many kids has Winston killed? Alexander the Great? Napoleon?

GoT has given us the heroine Westeros deserves.

38 minutes ago, kensei said:

Killing kids is fair game in the Star Wars path to redemption. 

I’ll never understand the whole “wolf CGI is too expensive”. When have they ever been CGI? I don’t think I’ve ever seen a shot where it hasn’t been a real animal adjusted to look larger.

But Ghost, the last couple of times we saw him, wasn’t even fucking bigger than a regular wolf. He didn’t even have any person near him for scale, just set props. 

It’s fucking bullshit.