rllmuk
Daley

Game of Thrones - No Book Chat. NONE. The Books don't exist.

Calling now the next episode will be called ‘A Dream Of Spring’ the title of Martins last book if he ever gets around to writing it.

4 minutes ago, scottcr said:

I'm telling you

Reveal hidden contents

Bran to warg into Drogon

Spoiler

Wouldn’t he have done it by now and save thousands? 

how the 

fuck are they going to deal with Drogon?  That's why I'm convinced that the only thing that'll do it is by having Bran warg into him

2 minutes ago, Waggo said:

Calling now the next episode will be called ‘A Dream Of Spring’ the title of Martins last book if he ever gets around to writing it.

But it was clearly summer in this episode 

• Upvote 1

Deathpool!

Spoiler

Or more so, how will she die pool. (After such a heavy barbecue session. Its the only way.)

Who will take Danny down?

a-Jon.

b-Arya.

c-Tyrion.

d-Bronn.

e-A Building.

f-Brann.

g-Greyworm - But not really Greyworm.

h-Sansa.

i-Other?

And How?

1-Convince/Make Drogon turn face.

2-Assissins Creed.

3-Drop lots of bricks on her.

4-Find another Dragon, for a Dragon fight.

5-Crossbow.

6-Cold Weather

7-Strong words.

8-Other?

• Upvote 1

Spoiler

However they do it I can’t see it being satisfying in just 90 mins story time.  Evil or no she just won, and has a victorious army of Dothraki, Unsullied and a stonking great big Dragon behind her.  Are we expected to believe they all just go away when somebody offs her?

3 hours ago, Stigweard said:

Its not even that for me, it's just bad writing and characters betraying everything that made them interesting to start with. The show became great by building to things, taking it's time organically. Its now history sprinting through everything.

The spectacle of it all for a TV is amazing and next level but everything around it is just disappointing. 

I dunno, both the books and the show lose their way completely after Tywin dies. The show is much better at showing the boring shit from the last two books than they were. There’s been a lot of great, exciting moments and storylines but not a lot stringing it all together. This last season reminds me a lot of Endgame, for certain characters there’s been a through line that I’ve really enjoyed which is paying off in a satisfying way, for others there’s nothing because that’s not the point of this story, so they have a little story now in the finale but it’s not about them really. 

I think the the issue is probably that Jon is the Hulk, we’ve spent years watching him deal with weird problems that never quite seemed to form a coherent storyline and now it seems like none of it really mattered anyway. I’m holding out hope than he gets a satisfying conclusion next week though.

It would undeniably have been better if

We’d had full 10 episode seasons and they’d introduced some new characters s6-7 to flesh out Westeros, and make us more invested in the crowds of  King’s Landing and show Cersei’s rule impacting the people.

The fetch quest zombie should’ve just been a battle at Eastwatch, and they could’ve fleshed out the North by showing us the Umbers getting swamped etc.

Jorah should’ve died at the colosseum in season 5. Sam at Winterfell.

Arya should be a proper faceless person, not larking about getting into epic scrapes.

Still good though. The Dany endgame is solid and I guess that’s where the books are headed.

• Upvote 2

10 minutes ago, Waggo said:
  Hide contents

However they do it I can’t see it being satisfying in just 90 mins story time.  Evil or no she just won, and has a victorious army of Dothraki, Unsullied and a stonking great big Dragon behind her.  Are we expected to believe they all just go away when somebody offs her?

they will if

the dragon turns on her

I thought this was great :lol:

Spoiler

Sure it didn't make a lick of sense in terms of the greater story GRRM was probably building to but I thought it was an excellent and had really well thought out drama that captured some powerful emotional moments during a siege, evocative of something authentic and brutal such as The Battle of Berlin for instance. It was full of pathos and emotional poignancy, exactly what was completely missing from the Battle of Winterfell as well as the follow up episode.

I can accept and tolerate bad writing to a certain degree but its when that emotional storytelling goes is when i really I need to call something out for being shit, and this wasn't shit. Far from it. 

• Upvote 5

Spoiler

How anyone can of liked that episode, other than possibly from a straight spectacle stance, is totally beyond me. The ways in which is was just utter moronic were myriad. The internet is gonna pick over it for years!;) Anyway, have a Jeremy video, he nails some of the broadest strokes.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 20

The internet spoils everything - 

It was a great episode.

It was pretty obvious how Dany dealt with the scorpions.  Fly with the sun behind you.  Fly low.  Fly fast.  Change direction quickly.  Get behind them faster than they can turn.  

This weeks episode shows up last weeks for being the poor episode that it was in hindsite... even though I still enjoyed that one too.

• Upvote 3

I enjoyed it.

There was barely any character speech etc. It was all told in actions.

Spoiler

Jaime and Tyrian wasn’t an awesome scene?

Jon’s “we’re the bad guys” moment? 

Only thing I didn’t like was Cersei and Jaimie’s end...hopefully they make it out.

Cersei was no worse or better than any of the other contenders for the throne, probably the nicest and most conflicted...

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

It was amazing, but also stupid too.

It can be both.

The internet (by which these days we mean YouTube and Twitter) always wants to fit things into black and white terms; it's silly.

• Upvote 5

1 minute ago, Benny said:

It was amazing, but also stupid too.

It can be both.

I would say more amazing then stupid.

People keep saying every episode is shit, their only mistake is that they are rushed, what we are getting is top tier TV.

our expectations have been subverted and the show has taken a turn we didn’t expect.

I felt sickened by what I was seeing, in a good way.

• Upvote 2

Anyone think that

Spoiler

Jamie and Cersei won't be dead.

At the least, I think someone has to discover their bodies somehow as regardless of whether you think it was a fitting end for them or not - the other characters (Tyrion, Brienne (assuming she is still in it), Dany, Jon And Ayra need to know they are dead.

I'm calling it now - final scene is Tyrion sitting outside a cafe in Bravos and he looks up and see's Jamie, Cersei and a little kid ( and then they all get burnt to death by Drogon who is burning everywhere in the world to the ground).

• Upvote 1

That reminds me:

Spoiler

This episode was actually sometimes shockingly violent, in a way that's not been in the show this season at all yet I think. Maybe they did that on purpose to make the violence in this episode more stark. (heh)

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Benny said:

That reminds me:

Hide contents

This episode was actually sometimes shockingly violent, in a way that's not been in the show this season at all yet I think. Maybe they did that on purpose to make the violence in this episode more stark. (heh)

yeah

it's been long time since we've seen that level of violence in Game of Thrones.  It didn't really hold back.

Really haven't liked much of this series - so my expectations were super low - but I really enjoyed that episode.

Thought Danys turn to the dark side was foreshadowed reasonably well (although would have preferred a whole season of this) and it was pretty shocking when she did. 

45 minutes ago, APM said:
  Hide contents

Next Ep: Wolves against Dragons.

Not the first time I've said this but 

Spoiler

Cooooooome ooooooon yooooooou Wooooooolves!

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, Pete said:

There's a pretty strong correlation between staying up late and hating on this.

I stayed up late and I didn't hate it; I loved it. Even though it's very stupid. Lovably stupid, like that idiot cousin that you let hang around because they love to set things on fire.

• Upvote 3

3 minutes ago, kerraig UK said:

Yeah, people who stayed up late to watch it have seen it 

Ha ha, I saw it this morning, enjoyed it. I think I had my disappointment in series seven and have come to terms with it. 

It's average rather than bad, but given what went before I can see why people are so upset.

• Upvote 1

Several hours later I'm still in shock at how bad that was. If people enjoyed it then all I can say is I'm happy for you. Genuinely.

For clarity, I have no issues with any of the plot beats, they're perfectly fine. How they got there is a different matter entirely though.

But for me, that was catastrophically bad.

• Empathy 1

3 minutes ago, Pete said:

Ha ha, I saw it this morning, enjoyed it. I think I had my disappointment in series seven and have come to terms with it. 

It's average rather than bad, but given what went before I can see why people are so upset.

There's no need to be upset.

Spoiler

Nothing matters.