rllmuk
Daley

Game of Thrones - No Book Chat. NONE. The Books don't exist.

5 hours ago, whizzo said:

Why would you think that? The last two books were utterly dreadful.

I agree, they were fucking awful and luckily the series didn’t follow them too closely but all the amazing bits from the show are from the book. 

2 hours ago, ChristopherBloodAxe said:

I kind of enjoyed it, but queen of dragons woman did kind of go from 0 to 60 in a spilt second.

It's almost as if the show has been rushing through things....

Fucking stupid, the lot of it

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I’ve not seen the next episode, but going by reactions of the season on here and Twitter, seem like a bit of TLJ-itis. If the plot doesn’t follow what’s already totally pre-defined in a person’s head then it’s deemed terrible. I do not get it at all. 

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 17
  • Empathy 1

3 minutes ago, Kevvy Metal said:

I’ve not seen the next episode, but going by reactions of the season on here and Twitter, seem like a bit of TLJ-itis. If the plot doesn’t follow what’s already totally pre-defined in a person’s head then it’s deemed terrible. I do not get it at all. 

I know what you mean to some extent, but even though I vehemently disagree with a lot of the criticism, if people don't like it, people don't like it. Each to their own.

I do find it disappointing to read so much negativity when I enjoy it so much but c'est la vie. I enjoy it, that's all that matters to me TBH.

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, Kevvy Metal said:

So many of the criticisms boil down to “bad writing, should’ve used my fan fiction instead because that’s objectively brilliant”.

• Upvote 9
  • Downvote 5

10 minutes ago, Kevvy Metal said:

Watch it first.

Its the execution of it (and how they've rushed through everything) that has put be on a downer rather than character A didn't kill/save/warg into character B.

• Upvote 3

1 minute ago, Boothjan said:

I know what you mean to some extent, but even though I vehemently disagree with a lot of the criticism, if people don't like it, people don't like it. Each to their own.

I do find it disappointing to read so much negativity when I enjoy it so much but c'est la vie. I enjoy it, that's all that matters to me TBH.

Yeah absolutely, I completely agree with this. Even though I too completely disagree with most of the criticisms I’ve read, people are entitled to their opinions. 

I do feel the season does feel a bit rushed, and after the S3, battle it does feel like they’ve conquered the biggest threat quite early, but most other stuff I find strange.  

That was some entertaining hokum true enough.

Re. Cersei

Spoiler

I had that song in my head afterwards: “What’s she gonna look like with a chimney on her?”

Also, what happened to

Spoiler

Tyrion? When did we last see him? He kinda just disappeared early doors.

I thought that was rather brilliant. I get the criticisms. But taken on it’s own merits it was well done. 

The internet is going to spend the next week telling me I’m an idiot. Shrug. 

• Upvote 8

1 minute ago, grindmouse said:

I thought that was rather brilliant. I get the criticisms. But taken on it’s own merits it was well done. 

The internet is going to spend the next week telling me I’m an idiot. Shrug. 

I think the writers take us for idiots now anyway. I love how Kings Landing is just a desert now, just to be able to shoot some fight scenes. :P

Maybe I'm easily pleased, but I don't think there's been anything wrong with the writing.

Spoiler

When evil mad queen Daenerys was torching the city, it instantly harks back to the dream in the house of the undying where the iron throne sits in a destroyed room of ash. 

I liked that. 

Also, how cool was that shot of Drogon moving into the light for Varys's execution?

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

20 minutes ago, jonamok said:

That was some entertaining hokum true enough.

Re. Cersei

Reveal hidden contents

I had that song in my head afterwards: “What’s she gonna look like with a chimney on her?”

Also, what happened to

Hide contents

Tyrion? When did we last see him? He kinda just disappeared early doors.

Spoiler

It’s a long walk to Winterfell (or Dragonstone) for the season finale so he left early.

1 minute ago, Boothjan said:

Maybe I'm easily pleased, but I don't think there's been anything wrong with the writing.

Hide contents

When evil mad queen Daenerys was torching the city, it instantly harks back to the dream in the house of the undying where the iron throne sits in a destroyed room of ash. 

I liked that. 

Also, how cool was that shot of Drogon moving into the light for Varys's execution?

Spoiler

That was a great shot.

I didn’t have a problem with how Varys went out (especially as he was upto something that may pay off next week).

I do wish they’d made it more clear that Dany was at least thinking of torching the whole city - Tyrion clearly knew she may do it, but I’m not sure the audience did.

It was a surprise when she just started randomly burning residential streets and justified Tyrion’s fears, but I’m not sure why he thought she’d go that mental (rather than just burning the red keep and killing some civilians to get at Cersei).

35 minutes ago, scottcr said:

Hide contents

I enjoyed that. Was great spectacle and not an unsurprising turn from Dany. We’ve been warned about those crazy Targaryens for years... 

but Jaime and Cersei’s end was disappointing - must admit

Spoiler

We have, but she literally turned in the space of 5 mins and killed thousand of innocent people and destroyed the City she came to take because her slaver girl mate told her too. Yeah, let's ignore the advice from the battle hardened soldiers/advisors *rolls eyes* . This should have been whole seasons worth of character arc for her.

Shed won the fight, she had the city and they had surrendered. All she had to do was fly a dragon up to Cersei and demand she surrender. If she refused light her arse up.

Speaking of Cersei, what a fucking shit endung to her we got. I bet the writer's thought they were being really clever having her show empathy right at the so that everyone would feel sorry for her when she died. Fuck off.

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Ork1927 said:

Hide contents

That was a great shot.

I didn’t have a problem with how Varys went out (especially as he was upto something that may pay off next week).

I do wish they’d made it more clear that Dany was at least thinking of torching the whole city - Tyrion clearly knew she may do it, but I’m not sure the audience did.

It was a surprise when she just started randomly burning residential streets and justified Tyrion’s fears, but I’m not sure why he thought she’d go that mental (rather than just burning the red keep and killing some civilians to get at Cersei).

Spoiler

Eh? They signposted the fuck out of that happening. It would have been a bigger surprise if it didn’t, especially after Mel lost her head. Dany and Worm were rearing to go  

• Upvote 3

38 minutes ago, Broker said:

So many of the criticisms boil down to “bad writing, should’ve used my fan fiction instead because that’s objectively brilliant”.

Its not even that for me, it's just bad writing and characters betraying everything that made them interesting to start with. The show became great by building to things, taking it's time organically. Its now history sprinting through everything.

The spectacle of it all for a TV is amazing and next level but everything around it is just disappointing. 

• Upvote 1

On 25/04/2019 at 10:58, Tourist said:

I'm fully expecting a Doctor Whoesque Big Bad Wolf ending that fails to resolve about 90% of the plot strands that the writer(s) threw in when they were making things up as they went along back in the mists of the early series. Like, what was the point of the the wolves, the invincible world-breaking shadow things, the invincible world-breaking faceless assassins, those largely pointless women with whips and spears and stuff, the abysmal bit with the wavy sausage guy, the sudden appearance and subsequent disappearance of banking cartels etc. etc.?

Nailed it.

• Downvote 4

14 hours ago, Boothjan said:

Reveal hidden contents

I liked that. 

Spoiler

Watch the scene again, its actually snow not ash. The vision shows Winter and destruction coming to KL which would have hinted more towards the Night King. Winter is nowhere near KL at the moment.

*edit*

Lol negged for stating a fact, the visions is clearly snow not ash.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

6 minutes ago, Stigweard said:
  Hide contents

Watch the scene again, its actually snow not Ash. The vision shows Winter and destruction coming KL which would have hinted more towards the Night King. Winter is nowhere near KL at the moment 

Spoiler

Well there is A Snow near KL...

The event people are referring to couldn’t have been more heavily foreshadowed.

I mean, I get the writing is pap now compared to book material, but the idea this just happened in 5 minutes is nonsense.

3 minutes ago, Stigweard said:
  Hide contents

Watch the scene again, its actually snow not Ash. The vision shows Winter and destruction coming KL which would have hinted more towards the Night King. Winter is nowhere near KL at the moment 

Maybe it's just hinting at Snow. :eyebrows:

2 hours ago, grindmouse said:

The event people are referring to couldn’t have been more heavily foreshadowed.

I mean, I get the writing is pap now compared to book material, but the idea this just happened in 5 minutes is nonsense.

No it's not

Spoiler

The turn to kill innocent people was instant. Shes made mistake before through rashness like when she fucked up with the Slaver Cities. She thought she was doing good by just killing the slave masters and freeing the slaves. She didn't listen to her advisors then and it set her back. Pretty sure it's even acknowledged that she made a mistake and would listen to people again.

Here she just jumped straight into the deep end after a few shifty looks and losing a dragon and her friend the previous episode. She feels betrayed which is understandable but does that warrent burning all the people she came to rule and love.

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 1

16 minutes ago, Stigweard said:
  Hide contents

Spoiler

It could be either - one of if not the main theme of the whole thing has been ice v fire.  It's not too much of a stretch of the imagination to link the two together.  Where she thought ice was coming to destroy KL, it was actually her, via fire.  She thought she was the saviour, but she's the destroyer.

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, Boothjan said:

Hide contents

It could be either - one of if not the main theme of the whole thing has been ice v fire.  It's not too much of a stretch of the imagination to link the two together.  Where she thought ice was coming to destroy KL, it was actually her, via fire.  She thought she was the saviour, but she's the destroyer.

Spoiler

It's clearly snow. Its white and she walks out the doors to a wintery blast. 

You're looking for some kind of justification that isn't there.

• Downvote 2