IGNORED

Game of Thrones - No Book Chat. NONE. The Books don't exist.

Daley

3 minutes ago, Pete said:

Ha ha, I saw it this morning, enjoyed it. I think I had my disappointment in series seven and have come to terms with it. 

It's average rather than bad, but given what went before I can see why people are so upset.

There's no need to be upset.

Spoiler

Nothing matters.

I've long since accepted that this is Zombie Game of Thrones. So with that in mind I've been enjoying it for the schlock it now is. Unlike Star Trek Discovery, which is so bad it's actually physically painful, there is some enjoyment to be had in how it's now going about wrapping up all the nonsense in increasingly over the top ways. I mean in this episode:

Spoiler

Qyburn getting gibbed on the wall actually made me burst out laughing. I mean, I'm not sure that was the intention, but I was obviously enjoying myself.

Whereas nothing made me laugh or gave me joy in Star Trek: D, it was just a whole second season of self indulgent loathing and hatewatching.

You're very brave, I made it to about S01E04 of Discovery. Now that is some hot garbage. 

I don't hate watch stuff; I'm still enjoying this. Clearly it's as thudding as all get-out but has a fun inelegance. There's even a kind of joy in seeing something so beautifully made getting smashed to bits. It's like watching some kids playing Star Wars with antique figurines, using a faberge egg as the Death Star. 

I didn't feel it got quite that bad in Discovery until the second season, and then at that point it was so bad it became a game of brinkmanship to keep watching and see if it didn't get any worse.

There was a glimmer of old game of thrones, and it came with Varys, one of my favourite characters and probably the best performance.

Spoiler

Who was he writing to?! Dorne? There's no one left around to care really

5 minutes ago, Pete said:

There was a glimmer of old game of thrones, and it came with Varys, one of my favourite characters and probably the best performance.

Hide contents

Who was he writing to?! Dorne? There's no one left around to care really

Oldtown (the Citadel and the Maesters), The Vale, Riverrun, Dorne...  My money is on the Citadel

book chat

So I'm surmising that this is the same general ending that GRRM has in mind... at least, the very end with Dany.  I can imagine that the build up to her eventual flipping into tyrant from the air will be much more drawn out in the books.  I'll be very surprised if Jaime and Cersei ends the same way.  The books have the whole Valonquar thing going on and Jaime really pretty much hates his sister now where we are in the books.

Snow talk:

Spoiler

E0024538-AA7D-47A5-B825-AB0698FC638E.thumb.jpeg.fd27c76c6231c8e7551e26553a420211.jpeg

It’s just white stuff on the floor, could easily be ash. Also the ceiling is destroyed, like something destroyed the castle. Maybe a very harsh winter? Or maybe the dragon flying over kings landing that she also sees as a vision.

The shot of her looking at the falling white snow is exactly the same as the shot of Arya looking at the ash this week. It was never meant to be snow. It was never her heroically saving kings landing from the Night King on her dragon, the vision is of exactly what we saw this week.

We also saw the return of a white horse, except this time separated from Dany after she started burning things, and covered in blood. Arya then takes the horse, accepting the same freedom Dany did when she originally accepted it from Drogo.

Obviously that horse died, but that’s just in the show. In the books it’s still alive, and will assumedly pass on to Arya. 

Spoiler

I bet not a single one of those locations features in next weeks episode.  That is another major issue I have with this season in that for all the scale and spectacle, they have basically just pared it down to Winterfell and Kings Landing.  Compared to previous seasons where we were shown a fully realised continent and world.  Yara retakes the Iron islands we are told but don't see it, The new Prince of Dorne offers his support somebody says but it's just a throwaway sentence and means nothing.  When GOT first started it was the battles we only got to hear talked about as they did not have the budget to show them, but instead we got a richly detailed world.  This final season has gone full circle and now pretty much all we see are the battles, with none of the world building to go with and that while fun to watch is ultimately just an empty experience.  I think HBO and Martin are really going to regret this final season in years to come, because when the dust settles they might just find they have killed the golden goose!!!!!

5 minutes ago, scottcr said:

book chat

Hide contents

So I'm surmising that this is the same general ending that GRRM has in mind... at least, the very end with Dany.  I can imagine that the build up to her eventual flipping into tyrant from the air will be much more drawn out in the books.  I'll be very surprised if Jaime and Cersei ends the same way.  The books have the whole Valonquar thing going on and Jaime really pretty much hates his sister now where we are in the books.

Spoiler

The prophesy was that her little brother would wrap his cold hands around her neck before she died. Which he did, but because he loves her and was comforting her. When he asks her to look at him he literally grabs her neck with both hands, one of which’s metal and cold.

11 minutes ago, Broker said:

Snow talk:

Reveal hidden contents

E0024538-AA7D-47A5-B825-AB0698FC638E.thumb.jpeg.fd27c76c6231c8e7551e26553a420211.jpeg

It’s just white stuff on the floor, could easily be ash. Also the ceiling is destroyed, like something destroyed the castle. Maybe a very harsh winter? Or maybe the dragon flying over kings landing that she also sees as a vision.

The shot of her looking at the falling white snow is exactly the same as the shot of Arya looking at the ash this week. It was never meant to be snow. It was never her heroically saving kings landing from the Night King on her dragon, the vision is of exactly what we saw this week.

We also saw the return of a white horse, except this time separated from Dany after she started burning things, and covered in blood. Arya then takes the horse, accepting the same freedom Dany did when she originally accepted it from Drogo.

Obviously that horse died, but that’s just in the show. In the books it’s still alive, and will assumedly pass on to Arya. 

What episode is that from?

It's really pants we've seen so little of Cersei since the sept incident. Would of been nice to see her being a competent and intelligent, but cruel and ruthless Queen as a contrast to Dany. 

I really really liked 

Spoiler

Her death scene though, with the map and westeros and everything falling to shit was great. It's the only way it could of ended for these two, who started this by trying to kill Bran.

Euron is the biggest winner, 

Spoiler

Killed a dragon, the Kingslayer and fucked a queen. All in a week it seems too.

I predict we’ll end just as we started.

So we had a mad Targaryen monarch getting killed by their Hand who was a Lannister, doing so for the good of the people, and a Baratheon became king as a result, with a Stark not wanting to be in charge, but merely look after the North. 

So we could end up with the exact same conclusion, regardless of everything pointing to Arya assassinating Mad Queen Dany.

1 hour ago, Broker said:

Snow talk:

Hide contents

Spoiler

I don't think they're connected at all other than the building in tatters.

In the scene you literally see pure white snow flakes land on her and then she opens to door and is greated by a wintry blast as she walks out the gate behond the wall

i.e. The place that winter, the NK and his snow zombies are all coming from to reek havoc on the world.

At this point the whole show was still on the Winter is Coming tagline and it's a made up vision that was never in the book anyway. I don't think they thought this far ahead tbh to say "no it was Ash all along, not snow" After this season and the last, I don't give them that much credit to have thought that far ahead in S2. At that point they were still working off the books with minor tweaks.

11 hours ago, NexivRed said:
  Hide contents

We lost so many characters and I felt nothing. 

The Varys scene was just poorly done. Odd pacing. Too much Drogon. Emotionless Jon Snow. A poorly delivered end for a fantastic character. Sad.

Euron. Died on a shitty beach. Heh, fair enough. 

Not even a “FUCK YOU” from The Hound before he charged. The whole fight was pointless fan crap. I’ve never given a shit about them fighting, but he could at least have gone out with true to character style. Disappointing.

Jaime’s arc went nowhere. I’m literally speechless. It just perfectly sums up how every single character is seemingly becoming diluted and limp.

50 minutes of looking at Cersei’s smug, emotionless and characterless face, only to have “save me! Please save me!” thrown at us.

What?

Pacing and momentum was all over the shop. Stupid.

And they both die by bricks. Two of the most important characters, who had heavily fleshed out backstories and personalities, moping together in a stupid “things I do for love” death by bricks. Weak.

Don't get me started on the Arya DLC for Assassin’s Creed. Why am I up at quarter past 3 in the morning watching her channel a fucking horse whisperer?? Ridiculous screen time allowance. 

The writers have very little talent. It’s apparent in their interviews. What a joke.

Oh, I did feel something. I laughed at Qyburn.

All of that, plus...

I laughed when the Mountain was revealed as Hench Uncle Fester, and they were so close to the map room for my idea of some pillar-hacking action! The Scorpions were still effective en masse, they were just firing them sequentially in the style of Winner's Death Wish III direction. Jaime as Paul Kersey.

6 hours ago, Boothjan said:

Hide contents

Also, how cool was that shot of Drogon moving into the light for Varys's execution?

Because of the background, I knew what was happening...

as soon as Varys appeared. From that moment I was just scanning for the PS1 Rex, and think they should've mentioned Drogon's ability to control his bursts before now. The Tarlies were lit right up, whereas Varys was stood about 10ft from soldiers.

E6 predictions...

— Dany fries some folk, possibly including Davos for criticising her bendzoning
— Dany doesn't fry Tyrion, because that's enough advisor-burning for now
— Dany tries to fry Idiot Jon but Drogon says no; Idiot Jon does nothing
— Arya's completed the most scripted level of her Uncharted, but liable to die on an easier level from a careless pad fumble
— Bran the Builder, he can't fix it
— Bronn was at an inn when KL was torched, just to bring him back for another shit death defending Tyrion

29 minutes ago, MrHendo said:

I predict we’ll end just as we started.

Hide contents

So we had a mad Targaryen monarch getting killed by their Hand who was a Lannister, doing so for the good of the people, and a Baratheon became king as a result, with a Stark not wanting to be in charge, but merely look after the North. 

So we could end up with the exact same conclusion, regardless of everything pointing to Arya assassinating Mad Queen Dany.

Spoiler

I always wondered if we’d end up with a complete repeat. All that turmoil seemingly for nothing; ending up with the same shit, just different people dealing with it. 

Including needing to hide a baby, which in this case would have been hiding Dany’s baby from Arya and Sansa.

Ah well. Maybe in the books.

12 minutes ago, cavalcade said:
  Hide contents

Can't the snow just be symbolic of an army from the North - literal Winter falling. Not sure it needs to be overthought....

Spoiler

Her going out the of gate at the wall into the far North suggest it's a more a metaphor for an army coming from a certain area though does it not. Rather than the scraps left from Winterfell which is made up of all sorts from all over anyway

I only have one comment to make:

Spoiler

Fuck Daenerys, fuck her up her stupid asshole. She is as mad as The Mad King. Targaryens are cancer. 

I hope Arya kills her, and I think she will.