rllmuk
Daley

Game of Thrones - No Book Chat. NONE. The Books don't exist.

4 minutes ago, Chadruharazzeb said:

Yes, I can't think of anyone who would possibly want to fight him. Not sure if he's in his right mind, though.

Ok, who the fuck has had the opportunity, and is in their right mind, to fight him?

15 minutes ago, APM said:

Ok, who the fuck has had the opportunity, and is in their right mind, to fight him?

Maybe him murdering Arya will be the dying motivation for the Hound to Black Knight him.

1 hour ago, Chadruharazzeb said:

It's got to the point now that I'm not especially looking forward to the next episode, which should never have been the case with the last season of GoT. It's not become a depressing obligation like how Dexter turned out but there's no excitement or anticipation at all. We're four episodes and five hours into the last ever season and nothing particularly interesting, shocking or amazing has happened, and worst of all I don't expect it to either.

Seems like the series is going to go the same way as the Night King - a pointless anticlimax. 

Jon Snow needed to die in episode 1. Then it would have been game fucking on and everyone would be buzzing. 

I read that as a reflection of Daenerys' lust for power clouding her judgement. It links into the doubts that Varys and Tyrion are having in her ability to lead them. Her judgement is clouded and she's making mistakes, because she's impatient and too focused on getting to the Iron Throne. 

This all makes sense to me? I don't know why or when people decided that all characters must act like logic driven Vulcan's and not actual human's capable of mistakes?

• Upvote 7

Gaaah, I made the mistake of Googling to try and find out why this series is so short and saw what I think was a major spoiler in a Daily Express headline on the first page of results. Fuck's sake.

5 minutes ago, Kevvy Metal said:

I read that as a reflection of Daenerys' lust for power clouding her judgement. It links into the doubts that Varys and Tyrion are having in her ability to lead them. Her judgement is clouded and she's making mistakes, because she's impatient and too focused on getting to the Iron Throne. 

This all makes sense to me? I don't know why or when people decided that all characters must act like logic driven Vulcan's and not actual human's capable of mistakes?

A few scenes before shows a group of them all together literally moving around pieces on a board that represent enemy troops. 

• Upvote 1

16 hours ago, Chadruharazzeb said:

It's got to the point now that I'm not especially looking forward to the next episode, which should never have been the case with the last season of GoT. It's not become a depressing obligation like how Dexter turned out but there's no excitement or anticipation at all. We're four episodes and five hours into the last ever season and nothing particularly interesting, shocking or amazing has happened, and worst of all I don't expect it to either.

Seems like the series is going to go the same way as the Night King - a pointless anticlimax. 

Ι think not even the cast is in it. Those Jon and Dany scenes in the bedroom were painful to watch. 

34 minutes ago, Zael said:

A few scenes before shows a group of them all together literally moving around pieces on a board that represent enemy troops. 

Yes, but it also seemed like she was totally not paying attention to any of it. She didn't give a shit about tactics and just wanted to assault King's Landing asap. That was my read of it any way. 

42 minutes ago, DeciderVT said:

Gaaah, I made the mistake of Googling to try and find out why this series is so short and saw what I think was a major spoiler in a Daily Express headline on the first page of results. Fuck's sake.

I also googled literally how to spell Daenerys, and the tabloids have massive spoilers on their sites. Unless it's a lot of shit, that's just fucking insanely shit of them. 

15 minutes ago, Kevvy Metal said:

Yes, but it also seemed like she was totally not paying attention to any of it. She didn't give a shit about tactics and just wanted to assault King's Landing asap. That was my read of it any way. 

She wants to attack straight away and is talked out of it by Jon and Tyrion. Jon actually says to her "if the Iron fleet try to ferry in supplies you burn them with your dragons" or something along those lines and she agrees. 

I dunno what you lot are on about, I love GOT and this series. Can’t wait for the next episode and me and my wife spend hours watching conspiracy theories and chatting about the episode. Blooming great. 

• Upvote 9
  • Downvote 1

43 minutes ago, carlospie said:

I dunno what you lot are on about, I love GOT and this series. Can’t wait for the next episode and me and my wife spend hours watching conspiracy theories and chatting about the episode. Blooming great. 

This is one of the main problems with modern perspectives. You are enjoying it and accepting that, without any realisation that you'd be enjoying it more if it was better. 

This is why they don't try as hard as they perhaps should considering they are being paid millions of dollars 

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 9

3 hours ago, Kevvy Metal said:

Depends on whether they're actually making a mistake in-universe (which should be acknowledged in some way) or if the writers are just messing up. This has happened enough now that it's clear (IMO) that the writers aren't thinking it through sufficiently.

Holy shit... my trainer at the gym is a massive fan.  Knows the books backwards and has loved the series till now.

he fucking HATED that episode.

I still enjoyed it but I can understand folks concerns that this amazing programme is going crash and burn at the end :(

20 minutes ago, scottcr said:

Holy shit... my trainer at the gym is a massive fan.  Knows the books backwards and has loved the series till now.

he fucking HATED that episode.

I still enjoyed it but I can understand folks concerns that this amazing programme is going crash and burn at the end :(

It has already crashed and burned.

18 minutes ago, Gord said:

It has already crashed and burned.

I'm still really enjoying it - including the last episode but it's no where near as clever as it used to be and that's because they don't have GRRM stuff to work from.  It's clear that DnD aren't particularly smart show runners.

Don't let them anywhere NEAR the LotR series.

• Upvote 1

From a plotting standpoint I think the biggest mistake they made was back when they had choice of two stories to adapt. By their own admission they had to choose between putting the Dorne storyline or the Iron Islands storyline on screen and they went for Dorne. I think we can all agree that wasn't the best idea in retrospect and I wonder if was a result of having to find stuff for Bronn to do, because they couldn’t adapt his actual storyline because of the Jerome Flynn/Lena Heady situation.

Dorne is a pretty ridiculed section of the books (Google Darkstar and be glad that never made it to the screen) and they somehow managed to make it even worse. The book version has one redeeming moment at the very end as we didn’t even get that, it was replaced with more of the Sand Snakes being 'badass' instead. Then everyone hated it and they quickly wrote those characters out of the show with little impact. A decision made more baffling if they planned to have Euron be a major player in the end, but the lack of any decent build up left us with the Coronation Street villain version of the character.

I suspect that the rubbish Iron Fleet scene in the last episode is a result of GRRM's notes saying that Euron takes out a dragon, but since they never included all the plot stuff going on with that character from the books that's setting that up, they had to quickly come up with a way for him to kill a dragon and they just went 'I dunno, he shoots it with a big crossbow or something I guess?'.

• Upvote 5

Eh? I found the Dorne stuff in the books really interesting with some great characters. The show just utterly fucked that up. I suspect because thre simply wasn't time because.. D&D.

17 minutes ago, gizmo1990 said:

Eh? I found the Dorne stuff in the books really interesting with some great characters. The show just utterly fucked that up. I suspect because thre simply wasn't time because.. D&D.

Dorne stuff in books had a great reveal but it went no where. Plus Darkstar. 

Ellaria Sand was the best thing about Dorne in the show.

Nope, still don't get it! Dorne isn't finished by a long shot, who knows where it's going? Darkstar, is just a character. We've still to see where he goes too. I'm reading through Dance again right now and it's a briliant page turner imo.

You lot are fucking nuts. Pretty much everything post Red Wedding (Purple Wedding aside) in the books was boring as fuck. 3000 pages of dull arse.

• Upvote 6
  • Downvote 1