rllmuk
Daley

Game of Thrones - No Book Chat. NONE. The Books don't exist.

9 minutes ago, Loz Boz said:

Because it makes WWs go poof, and shatter away like Sam did all those years ago at Craster’s...

Hide contents

So apparently not one person used them coz NK just did his special wavy arms and every dead guy just stood back up and reset to the start. 

Spoiler

the ones resurrected I think are the those who just fell in battle from the norths side - not the falled army of the dead  - once killed with dragon glass your gone (if you a WW)

• Upvote 5

Based on the epic screen time the writers/director think the ‘B-list’ death scenes warranted, can you imagine how long this episode would have been if they had killed off two or three faves? Each would’ve been half an hour.

I miss the Red Wedding days.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

14 minutes ago, scottcr said:

What was Bran

Reveal hidden contents

doing when he peaced out and warged into the ravens 

I was told Bran/3 eyed raven was observing everything to record everything for historic purposes. :blink:

I think it must have been the Now TV stream as my telly is pretty decent, there was loads of artifacts and banding so put me in the found it hard to watch camp.

I

Spoiler

was disappointed with the killing of the Night King, after all these years and waiting for the confrontation with Bran, he gets stuck with the pointy end and that's it he's gone. I would have loved some more exposition, have him talking to Bran find out the true motivation but after what felt like 12 hours of battling it in that episode, to get to that point and just have it done like that whilst very cool was unsatisfying.

Other than that I really enjoyed the episode as much as I usually enjoy the big battles, but definitely prefer the plotting and politics of the earlier seasons.

I thought it was fine, they could have done a better job with Arya I think. Instead of the red woman being all like 'you can kill that dude' and then her appearing and killing that dude they could have made it a proper character moment. Linked it to one of her two conflicting identities, either using her mad assassins creed powers or her Stark home turf advantage. Or BOTH, finding balance between them.

I liked that none of the dead got any proper final words. No last breath declarations of love or whispered secrets. Just dead.

6 minutes ago, Darhkwing said:

I was told Bran/3 eyed raven was observing everything to record everything for historic purposes. :blink:

That's what I told the security guards outside the ladies changing room, but would they listen?

• Upvote 5

How come no one in Winterfell thought of...

the boiling oil castle defense strategy while the wights were crawling up World War Z-stylee?

In terms of the episode overall, that was fucking incredible on so many levels as a spectacle.  I mean seriously...this is TV in 2019!!!!

In terms of what I like in GoT, it fell considerable short, as I much prefer the talky parts over the actioney ones.  I wished this episode would've balanced that out a bit more

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

"Get a blog" post:

I enjoyed it. But it felt like a guilty pleasure. Lots of spectacular shots of battle interspaced with weird behaviours that pulled me out of the scenes. Particularly given that the series has made us believe that characters like Jaime, Jon, Jorah, Tyrion, etc are effective tacticians and they have had a while to plan for this attack. For example:

The sight of the doomed Dothraki charge, with Ghost leading them: That's good
The Dothraki charge not being supported in any way: That's bad
Trebuchets lobbing flaming projectiles into the dark: That's good
Everybody standing behind the trebuchets: That's bad
The chaotic, Train to Busan style of zombie attack: That's good
Having the flaming moat behind the defensive line: That's bad
Jon on a dragon, mere feet away, looking brooding whilst everyone desperately tries to get the fire lit: That's WTF
Lyanna's attack on the giant: That's good
Half an hour of characters pinned against a wall in their plot armour: That's bad
...and so on...

I am happy enough with the ending. Every powerful character is undone by their hubris, and given the expectation that the final showdown would be Jon one-on-one with the NK I think that a sneaky attack by Arya was a good feint by the writers.

Whilst the writers have done a good job since the source material dried up, I do think that GRRM would have done a better job with this, as in previous series you would have expected a culling of more A-list characters in last night's episode. The Red Wedding is the gold standard here - basically killing off an entire segment of the show in a way that would probably not have been done had it not been in the books.

As much as I like Tormund, Brienne, Pod, Sansa, Bran, Varys and Gendry, they could have been killed off for some more emotional impact and have streamlined the character list down for the final run to the end of the series. And one or two unexpected deaths would have been good too. Jon, Dany, Jaime, Tyrion, or Sam, for example. Characters being cut down before their story concludes, to keep the viewers on their toes.

That said, now that the NK storyline is over we have a pretty clear run to Cleganebowl. I would love it if the final shot of the series is the Clegane brothers swinging at each other, Rocky III style. Just to upset fans.

Am I the only one who thinks that Sansa and Tyrion are going to end up remarried? If they survive, of course.

Oh, and I would not be surprised to learn if Qyburn has been researching how to create a new NK or undead legion.

My favourite bit from the episode is how, after several minutes of opening scenes following Sam through Winterfell’s preparations for battle, he gets to the front beside Edd, who turns to look at him with a ‘Oh FFS’ look on his face.

• Upvote 8

7 hours ago, NexivRed said:

My actual thoughts on the episode and the show as a whole. I’m about to watch the episode again.

Pretty sure we don’t need to spoiler but I’ll do it just in case. 

Reveal hidden contents

The storyline of the show, in my opinion, has some huge fucking issues. I can’t even say it’s just because it’s not following the books, because the books have some fucking ridiculous story and writing as well.

I don’t rate the GoT writers at all. I think anything that’s turned out excellent was given to them by the source material whilst it was still top notch.

I’ve still largely enjoyed the show because the subject matter is cool and some of the actors and actresses have been extremely good (and, tbh, really fucking carried the show at a lot of points).

I want to see how it ends, but frankly it reeks of multiple, complicated plots jettisoned so far out into fucking space, that although they’re thrilling and exciting to watch unfold and speculate how they’ll be resolved, there’s no fucking knitting them back together. Not on a million years.

For me, a story needs to blossom out from a single point, but then come back together again. Like a massive bloated diamond or something.

When this can’t be done, and you’re left with gaping plot holes and unreasonable character behaviours just to suit the next chapter of narrative, then the story as a whole loses density and immersion.

That is where a lot of GoT storylines are in my mind. I can forgive inexperienced child actors, but not the muddled actions they’re asked to do. Arya fucking scrapes by in my eyes, but I largely dislike what’s been written for her.

Bran is....well, we’re supposed to think he’s something big. But when it was time to get his big Three-Eyed cock out at the climax of the main storyline, all we got was a deflated  worm that that would inspire no one.

I don’t know what the fuck they’ve done to Jon. It’s almost as if they’ve gotten the balance of him, Dany and Sansa utterly wrong. Add in Tyrion, Jaime and Varys to the same scenes, and even Jorah and Davos, and you’ve just got these huge characters lumped together fighting for the chills and thrills.

It’s just not working for me, especially as some of the actors have so much more presence as their characters have the more believable and understandable arcs.

But because I’ve accepted all of this and have had my expectations lowered dramatically for a few series, I was really able to enjoy what was good about this episode. I’m beyond looking for reason in what was wrong, because again, I don’t think the writers are good at all. It’s a miracle when anything works these days.

So what was good was the fucking direction, cinematography and music. You could have enjoyed this as a stand alone piece of TV even if you’d never watched a single other episode or knew a single character. 

Some of the shots were just head and shoulders above regular television. Above Hardhome. Above the Sept of Baelor. Miguel really outdid himself. 

The field lit on fire by Drogon with Tormund screaming in the foreground. The dragons illuminating the descending frost from the tree lines. Both of them so realistically and gracefully aloft above the clouds. That looked spectacular, I’m sorry.

I thought the CGI was really excellent, (and I’ve disliked a lot of it), but the light reflecting off their bodies was really good. I loved the close ups of their frills, details and colours you could really see when they focused on Jon or Dany. They really did come across as hulking beasts.

Even smaller scenes like the wight jumping for Melisandre as she lit the trench. So many moments were worthy of a still shot. I’d actually really enjoy flicking through about thirty or so from that episode. Hence why I’m watching it again.

Charles Foster Kane Clapping.gif

Watched it again last night at my girlfriend's.  She's got a smaller telly and a Now TV sub, whereas I watched it on my Sky Q box recorded in HD - there was a DEFINITE difference, and I did think the Now TV stream was a bit hit and miss.  So I can now see where people are coming from there.  It looked great on my TV!

Spoiler

But anyway, I was annoyed with myself that I didn't see the Night King's demise coming!  On 2nd viewing, it makes it pretty fucking obvious what was going to happen.  Superb ending though.

A bit disappointed that a lot of people had issues with it, but that's opinions for you.   I personally can't agree that there's much wrong with the characters or the story arcs - I'm just finding it very entertaining TV, and for a show of this kind, there's always going to be big, epic battles that span an entire episode.

1 hour ago, Loz Boz said:

Hide contents

Hide contents

So apparently not one person used them coz NK just did his special wavy arms and every dead guy just stood back up and reset to the start.

I thought the

Spoiler

NK raised the dead good guys at the end?

Nevermind - I'm a bit behind in this thread...

1 hour ago, Gotters said:

The cinematographers take on his ep - in short you’re watching it wrong idiots.

https://www.wired.co.uk/article/game-of-thrones-too-dark-to-see

Jake Mobbs, a London based freelance commercial video editor, is a numpty. Increasing the brightness in something with crushed blacks is not going to show you any more detail because it will just give you crushed greys instead.

• Upvote 4

Just now, SpagMasterSwift said:

I thought the

Reveal hidden contents

Correct. Plenty of bad guys were dust. But the point about the Dothraki just being so tired from their 8 season journey that they fell asleep after lunch and missed the handing out of dragon glass is still valid.

6 minutes ago, Dirty Harry Potter said:

I watched a 6gb downloaded version on a LG C8 oled and the picture was very, very, very dark.

It was stylistic choice for sure.

A shit one.

To be honest, I think it was to save costs.  Imagine if it was bright and sunny and they had to do make up on thousands of wights at the same time or render them crisply.  

Listening to various podcasts it seems the show was muddy as fuck because of crap compression everywhere, not just Now TV. Didn’t matter if you had an OLED screen with a 4K input, it was just broadcast as porridge.

Oh, and next person to post an unannounced book spoiler/comparison gets Red Weddinged. :angry:

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I think most of my reservations about the episode have been covered, however I've notice some people mentioning the music and saying it was great. My wife and I found it a little jarring to be honest, it didn't seem very GoT for a lot of it. Also

Spoiler

When the NK was approaching Bran it was really loud, totally ruined the scene

4 minutes ago, metallicfrodo said:

I think most of my reservations about the episode have been covered, however I've notice some people mentioning the music and saying it was great. My wife and I found it a little jarring to be honest, it didn't seem very GoT for a lot of it. Also

Reveal hidden contents

When the NK was approaching Bran it was really loud, totally ruined the scene

I don't think it had a chance cos that sequence was so interminably slow whatever impact might have had was lost cos it just went on and on

3 minutes ago, Naieve said:

big sad doggo dragon :(

I said to the missus half way through "I honestly don't care who dies so long as it's not another fucking dragon"

57 minutes ago, scottcr said:

What was Bran

Hide contents

doing when he peaced out and warged into the ravens 

Spoiler

Luring in the NK I suppose. I wonder if the NK was vulnerable because he was near the ancient magic tree and that ordinarily just stabbing him like that wouldn't work.

20 hours ago, Mr Ben said:

About that

Hide contents

I have a feeling it only killed the NK because it'd been used to stab Bran, the then future 3 eyed raven. Might not have worked otherwise.

Spoiler

It’s valerian steel, which is white walker kryptonite. It’s the same knife that little finger introduces in s1 to try and stab bran - I don’t think he actually gets stabbed though  

2 minutes ago, labarte said:
  Hide contents

Luring in the NK I suppose. I wonder if the NK was vulnerable because he was near the ancient magic tree and that ordinarily just stabbing him like that wouldn't work.

Spoiler

Perhaps he was vulnerable because he didn't have his lucky underpants on?

Makes as much sense.