rllmuk
Daley

Game of Thrones - No Book Chat. NONE. The Books don't exist.

6 minutes ago, Darhkwing said:

I still have no idea how

Hide contents

most of the main characters survived,  they were absolutely swamped

Plot armour.

30 minutes ago, Thwomp said:

Also 

Hide contents

Why was Bran just having a little fly about with some crows for an hour? He knew what was going to happen, he didn't need to see through the crows for the events to unfold, they were already predetermined.

Spoiler

Aye this was a biggie for me too. All we got was Bran saying, ‘IM GOING NOW’ and him just warging into crows. I was expecting some great payoff but we got absolutely fuck all.:blink:

• Upvote 4

4 hours ago, Waggo said:
  Reveal hidden contents

As I suspected with my mixed emotions about the episode on first viewing this morning, the more time passes the less satisfying I am finding it.  There were undoubtedly excellent moments (The Dothraki charge, and Melisandre reminding Arya she would close many blue eyes were particular highlights for me), but on the grander story telling side of things it feels lacking.  The Night King built up over 8 seasons as this great threat to the entire world, who takes 8,000 years to finally break down the wall is defeated by the first decently defended castle he comes to!!!!  If he was so vulnerable why is he anywhere near the battle?  Plus absolutely no inventive twist whatsoever.  If they were going to kill of the Walker threat in one episode then they should have at least had Cersi have a change of heart and rock up with her forces to turn the tide of battle.  Then at least everyone is in the same place to sort out the battle for the Iron throne.  Instead we will have an episode lost next week to moving chess pieces around the board.  Not convinced following this episode that we are going to get a successful conclusion now, which is the first time I have felt that.:doh::omg::facepalm::mad: 

I think that’s underselling it as just a decent castle. A lot has been made of it being the ‘largest army the world has ever seen’ along with 2 dragons.

8 minutes ago, Darhkwing said:

still  there is still 3 episodes left and I expect another battle at king's landing.

Indeed, although who's left to fight? Cersei has a giant army, whilst the other side has about ten people and an injured dragon. Possibly a dozen Iron Islanders they might be able to drag into it too  I suppose

11 minutes ago, Darhkwing said:

What's wrong with LOTR?

Nothing. Love it. But GoT has been something different until this.

11 minutes ago, Darhkwing said:
  Reveal hidden contents

most of the main characters survived,  they were absolutely swamped

1 minute ago, Mike said:

Flippin eck!

Hope they have the next battle in the day time.

Without giving away any spoilers a friend of mine worked on the kings landing set as extra during the battle and it’s set during the day -(could see them filming it from my office ) 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 6

7 minutes ago, MrPogo said:

Hide contents

Indeed, although who's left to fight? Cersei has a giant army, whilst the other side has about ten people and an injured dragon. Possibly a dozen Iron Islanders they might be able to drag into it too  I suppose

Spoiler

If defeating the Night King and sacrificing her army to do it is seen as a big deal In the rest of Westeros, then maybe they will switch their forces to team Targaryen.  She already has the North and the Vale through her alliance with the  Starks, Dornes forces were never used, and both male Lannisters are onboard in theory so they could win persuade their remaining forces to switch sides.  Don’t think the show will go that deep into it though with so few episodes left. My prediction is Cersei to win the battle, but lose by being killed herself probably at the hands of Jaime, in much the same way the battle at Winterfell just went down for the NK.  Yara will be back to kill Euron though I reckon.

Amazed that people are complaining that it was too dark to see anything, it looked totally fine on my TV. And it was a brilliant episode - strong Last Jedi vibes in places, like when 

Spoiler

the zombie-in-chief survived a barrage of dragon-fire, Luke Skywalker-style, or when Arya did that knife-drop, exactly like Rey did in the throne room fight. 

There was some incredible imagery in that episode - I loved the shots of the burning swords being gradually extinguished, or the near-literal avalanches of zombies. And the Hardholm 2 bit, where the night king resurrected EVERYONE, including the fucking centuries-old corpses in the crypt, had me nearly applauding the audaciousness of it all. 

• Upvote 12
  • Downvote 3

What's really the motive of Jon Snow & the Dragon Queen now? They've just gone through hell, are they now going to rush back into battle with Cersai? For what? 

Why wouldn't they chill for a bit now, build up their army a bit etc? It's not like Cersai is posing any threat to Winterfell, unlike the NK army. 

• Upvote 1

I thought that was pretty epic but

That warging was annoyingly pointless unless he went and sorted some other shit out

Dothraki sure are dumb but those lights going out was superbly ominous

Plasma then last half on the OLED. Dark but no major problems seeing what was going on.

• Upvote 1

I was lucky enough to get pre-warned about the dark darkness and adjusted my settings to make up for it.

I really enjoyed it, it was dumb fun and felt suitably epic. 

Spoiler

Wish Bran had died, why didn't he tell Theon to just wait a min?

Regarding Bran. 

Spoiler

Call me crazy, but when the crows reached the NK I swear his eyes went milky. 

Until then he was flying around apparently aimlessly, but after, he made a beeline for Bran. I think Bran was luring him to where he was hiding, knowing how he needed to die.

• Upvote 2

10 minutes ago, hellcock junior said:

I was lucky enough to get pre-warned about the dark darkness and adjusted my settings to make up for it.

I really enjoyed it, it was dumb fun and felt suitably epic. 

Hide contents

Wish Bran had died, why didn't he tell Theon to just wait a min?

Theon was a wasted death. He could have hidden behind Bran while The Night King and his back dancers, The White Walkers finishing posing 

• Upvote 1

Yeah, another one here that had no problem seeing anything. Watch it in a dark room on a telly with the settings set right and that can show decent black, and it’s really fine. 

2 minutes ago, NexivRed said:

Regarding Bran. 

Hide contents

Call me crazy, but when the crows reached the NK I swear his eyes went milky. 

Until then he was flying around apparently aimlessly, but after, he made a beeline for Bran. I think Bran was luring him to where he was hiding, knowing how he needed to die.

Spoiler

That was the main point of the battle.. to draw him to Bran at the tree.

I actually thought the first hour was miles better than the last half hour 

Spoiler

The start was incredibly tense, the scale of the army of the dead becoming apparent, and precisely how much shit they were in. Those swords going out... 

As things became too desparate, it became clear there had to be some out, and they telegraphed Arya. I've no idea how the fuck she got there, though. 

Would love to know

Spoiler

What the fuck the point of Bran is

But I'm at least grateful for

Spoiler

The books not being spoiled. There's no way they turn out like this. The episode was brilliant, but they would have been far better having the Night King break the wall and overrun the place last season, rather than the immense amount of pissing about they did. 8 seasons, and beat in his first real fight. 

Looking forward to

Spoiler

Cleganbowl. Gotta happen, surely. 

2 minutes ago, Lorfarius said:

Hide contents

That was the main point of the battle.. to draw him to Bran at the tree.

Spoiler

I meant that was what Bran was doing when he “left”.

45 minutes ago, fragglerock said:

Too dark, and too many stupid tactical decision... and too much plot armor.

bad! 

This.

Spoiler

To have had Jamie tell Cersy nobody could beat the Dhathraki in combat and they go down in a heartbeat but six regulars hold back the horde for an hour. Then the dragons go AWOL for no reason

Predictable and a bit dull. Hopefully remaining episodes are better

• Upvote 1

I think it’s shocking how the show runners have treated the last 2 seasons, everything is so rushed.

If they were tired of it, they should have quit and let someone else take over. They are hardly geniuses, they’re using GRRM’s ideas and their lack of ideas is clearly evident once they started the fan fiction phase.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1