IGNORED

Game of Thrones - No Book Chat. NONE. The Books don't exist.

Daley

4 minutes ago, Jamie John said:

What actually happened to 

Hide contents

Jon's dragon? Is he definitely dead? It looked at one point like Zombie Dragon ripped his jaw off and then he fell to the ground.

I thought the original zombie dragon was killed by Jon’s, so the one in the castle at the end then must be Jon’s reanimated, although I thought he’d just had a heavy landing rather than died.

Thoughts 

First and last 20 minutes were really good. Absolutely no need for the episode to be that long though, and 80 minutes of constant night time battle scenes did drag a bit.

I didn’t like Mel’s line about the blue eyes at all. Meant all the time the NK was walking towards Bran I was just waiting for Arya to appear. Keep it a surprise ffs!

I’d worked myself into a shoot about the writers subverting expectations after whoever it was posted the long prediction list last week. Turned out basically none of that interesting stuff happened and instead it was pretty predictable really, with the plot armour kicking in to daft levels.

Music was excellent as always. Thought the dragon CGI was absolutely fine, personally. I assume Rhaegal is dying because he looked pretty fucked after that fight and crash landing. :(

Anyway I enjoyed parts of the spectacle greatly, but I do hope they resolve the Iron Throne stuff in a more interesting manner.

1 minute ago, The Fox said:

Thoughts 

Hide contents

First and last 20 minutes were really good. Absolutely no need for the episode to be that long though, and 80 minutes of constant night time battle scenes did drag a bit.

I didn’t like Mel’s line about the blue eyes at all. Meant all the time the NK was walking towards Bran I was just waiting for Arya to appear. Keep it a surprise ffs!

I’d worked myself into a shoot about the writers subverting expectations after whoever it was posted the long prediction list last week. Turned out basically none of that interesting stuff happened and instead it was pretty predictable really, with the plot armour kicking in to daft levels.

Music was excellent as always. Thought the dragon CGI was absolutely fine, personally. I assume Rhaegal is dying because he looked pretty fucked after that fight and crash landing. :(

Anyway I enjoyed parts of the spectacle greatly, but I do hope they resolve the Iron Throne stuff in a more interesting manner.

Regarding your last point

Spoiler

I got a bit battle fatigued 80% through and started to ponder if the ending of the show would be Cersey becoming the ‘night queen ‘

I think that the one at the end was the already dead one with its throat ripped to shit, hence it was leaking blue fire everywhere.

One episode dealing with the Night King, three episodes dealing with Cleganebowl, seems pretty reasonable to me.

As someone's said evoking total war just makes me want to sort out that mess of a formation even more.

I was smiling the whole way through though, been quite a week with this and infinity war.

Spoiler

I think it was odd so many characters didn't have really awful, pointless deaths. But there's still cersei to deal with and she's much smarter than the night king. Tyrion to say that next week.

34 minutes ago, Escaped said:

It wasn't that bad!

I think the problem now is that...

Hide contents

Either lots of characters survive against the grain, or a bunch of them have deaths that are less satisfying than they could've been.

In hindsight, I think they first chickened out in S4 with Oberyn as a sub for Tyrion. Tyrion's death at the time would've been huge, but we forgave that because Pascal was wonderful as a one-season redshirt, and of course Tyrion was at the height of his popularity then. The writing for both made sense in terms of their respective fates, so as clear as it was that Oberyn was employed as a bullet-catcher, his interactions enriched the world.

For a good while I've been slightly annoyed by writers pointing to Sean Bean as gushing evidence that ‘From that moment on we knew that no-one was safe!’. The Red Wedding backed it up superbly, but then — increasingly as seasons have passed — it's ceased to apply. And yet people are still repeating it.

+1 for trying to pretend the show runners and writers room had anything to do with the choices made in the main plot in seasons 1 through 5.

29 minutes ago, Mr. Gerbik said:

No, the issue is that

Reveal hidden contents

the MAIN main characters had plot armour and only the secondary main characters were ever in deadly peril. Not how they showed it, not how they edited it (although those two aspects were also arguably lacking), the problem is that exactly the characters you would predict to survive in a generic show, survived. It's lazy writing and a far cry from the feeling of nobody being safe of the first 4 to 5 seasons. They had a chance to shock the audience again and they Michael Bay'd it. It's enjoyable popcorn action fluff, but there's no subtlety or ingenuity to the writing at all.

Oh, I agree on that but was trying to salvage the clumsy writing they were shoehorned into :)

14 hours ago, choddo said:

Hide contents

they were recently reanimated. Probably a bit groggy

Brilliant! I kept thinking of...

Enter the Dragon when the prisoners join in.

13 hours ago, footle said:

+1 for trying to pretend the show runners and writers room had anything to do with the choices made in the main plot in seasons 1 through 5.

Without mentioning the unmentionables, is that pretty much how Gurm wrote S4, and did he enforce no changes for TV? I don't know how it works after that, in terms of whether he reserved the right to reject anything from the TV side?

13 minutes ago, footle said:

Yeah you can’t blame the show writers for Oberyn dying instead of Tyrion; that’s a GRRM thing. 

You can blame them for making it fairly pointless though, seeing as they couldn’t really be arsed to flesh out the Dorne stuff, so the only repercussion in the show was Myrcella getting offed. GRRM at least made Oberyn’s death a bit more consequential.

Just finished watching it. Didn't have a problem with the dark levels. Glad I didn't watch it this morning and saved it until after 9pm with the lights out, or it would have been horrendous. The big problem for me was the frenetic editing and the action being too close to the camera. At times, there seemed to be no flow to some of it, especially early on after the bit where...

Spoiler

the Dothraki flame swords went out one by one, which admittedly was a really cool moment.

From that point, it was kind of a mess for a while. And then I started to get bored. It just went on, and on, and on. :(

1 hour ago, Timmo said:
  Hide contents

Did Gilly survive? Because if she did she has the most plot armour in the history of television. 5 full minutes under a zombie.

I've been sat here for ages trying to remember its name...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/From_Within_(The_Outer_Limits)

1 hour ago, idiwa said:

As someone else posted, it was like watching a Pirate VHS tape of Teh Thing from 1989

We had a pirate Jurassic Park where you could just about make out the toilet scene. I was reminded of it.

Spoiler

While I did enjoy the Metal Gear Arya bit in the library, I was struck by just how good the insulation was in that part of Winterfell. There are thousands of people and wights fighting a ferocious battle outside and yet it's so silent in there that a dead man with probably rotted-out eardrums can hear the sound of a small drop of blood falling a few inches to the floor.

If there's one thing you can say about the chilly north, it's that they have fucking good double-glazing. No doubt sold to them by fellow notherner, Ser Safestyle.

40 minutes ago, The Fox said:

Yeah you can’t blame the show writers for Oberyn dying instead of Tyrion; that’s a GRRM thing. 

You can blame them for making it fairly pointless though, seeing as they couldn’t really be arsed to flesh out the Dorne stuff, so the only repercussion in the show was Myrcella getting offed. GRRM at least made Oberyn’s death a bit more consequential.

Thanks for that. I didn't have a problem with S4, because as great as he was, Oberyn's task was completed (almost). And Tyrion had tons of potential mileage. But though it turns out I was wrong to blame the TV guys instead of Grum, I do think it marks the point at which shock deaths were backburned. I'm not necessarily against that, because you can only shock for so long until not shocking is a shock, but I think it lost a narrative urgency it's never regained.

And on that note, I wish this episode...

had been the S7 finale, leaving a full season of OG politics to finish with.

23 minutes ago, FishyFish said:
  Hide contents

Ser Safestyle.

Hahaha! Lysa bought loads and got the moon door free.

Regarding Gilly 

Spoiler

She’s still alive. She was stood on the RHS when the crypt crew were saved by Arya. 

Regarding Arya

Spoiler

She had changed into one of the NK’s main bods, right? So was Bran being entranced up to the NK’s arrival because he was assisting her in hiding her identity? Add to that the NK’s focus on Bran, it helps to explain how she was able to get there without being sensed. 

Also, is there any chance folks could give a head’s up if their spoiler actually relates to stuff happening in the next episode? 

Well that was astonishing. Shame about the hard to follow bits, but overall I give that a fuck yes out of 10.

scottcr, please stop going on about the books and especially who is or isn't in next week's episode. Or at least label your irritating spoilers in some way ffs.

11 minutes ago, Stopharage said:

Regarding Arya

Reveal hidden contents

She had changed into one of the NK’s main bods, right? So was Bran being entranced up to the NK’s arrival because he was assisting her in hiding her identity? Add to that the NK’s focus on Bran, it helps to explain how she was able to get there without being sensed. 

Spoiler

I assume she sneaks past, one of the WW notices a breeze rush past him and then there she is flying out of nowhere.