IGNORED

Game of Thrones - No Book Chat. NONE. The Books don't exist.

Daley

I was lucky enough to get pre-warned about the dark darkness and adjusted my settings to make up for it.

I really enjoyed it, it was dumb fun and felt suitably epic. 

Spoiler

Wish Bran had died, why didn't he tell Theon to just wait a min?

Regarding Bran. 

Spoiler

Call me crazy, but when the crows reached the NK I swear his eyes went milky. 

Until then he was flying around apparently aimlessly, but after, he made a beeline for Bran. I think Bran was luring him to where he was hiding, knowing how he needed to die.

10 minutes ago, hellcock junior said:

I was lucky enough to get pre-warned about the dark darkness and adjusted my settings to make up for it.

I really enjoyed it, it was dumb fun and felt suitably epic. 

Hide contents

Wish Bran had died, why didn't he tell Theon to just wait a min?

Theon was a wasted death. He could have hidden behind Bran while The Night King and his back dancers, The White Walkers finishing posing 

2 minutes ago, NexivRed said:

Regarding Bran. 

Hide contents

Call me crazy, but when the crows reached the NK I swear his eyes went milky. 

Until then he was flying around apparently aimlessly, but after, he made a beeline for Bran. I think Bran was luring him to where he was hiding, knowing how he needed to die.

Spoiler

That was the main point of the battle.. to draw him to Bran at the tree.

I actually thought the first hour was miles better than the last half hour 

Spoiler

The start was incredibly tense, the scale of the army of the dead becoming apparent, and precisely how much shit they were in. Those swords going out... 

As things became too desparate, it became clear there had to be some out, and they telegraphed Arya. I've no idea how the fuck she got there, though. 

Would love to know

Spoiler

What the fuck the point of Bran is

But I'm at least grateful for

Spoiler

The books not being spoiled. There's no way they turn out like this. The episode was brilliant, but they would have been far better having the Night King break the wall and overrun the place last season, rather than the immense amount of pissing about they did. 8 seasons, and beat in his first real fight. 

Looking forward to

Spoiler

Cleganbowl. Gotta happen, surely. 

45 minutes ago, fragglerock said:

Too dark, and too many stupid tactical decision... and too much plot armor.

bad! 

This.

Spoiler

To have had Jamie tell Cersy nobody could beat the Dhathraki in combat and they go down in a heartbeat but six regulars hold back the horde for an hour. Then the dragons go AWOL for no reason

Predictable and a bit dull. Hopefully remaining episodes are better

Just seen it and hmmm. Not a fan of Michael Bay style editing, that made a lot of the scenes unsatisfying to watch. In that particular regard they did it far, far better in every other battle scene so far in the series.

Despite the quality of the writing falling down a cliff after the books ran out, I was still surprised at how it all played out in the most generic, easy way possible. I mean, exactly the characters you would assume have plot armour had hella plot armour this episode, and the ending was the easiest cop out they could have gone for. It's just lazy writing, but all in all I enjoyed it - the problem stems from the first 4 or 5 seasons promising to be so much better, and above all different, from generic action shows. 

I think it’s shocking how the show runners have treated the last 2 seasons, everything is so rushed.

If they were tired of it, they should have quit and let someone else take over. They are hardly geniuses, they’re using GRRM’s ideas and their lack of ideas is clearly evident once they started the fan fiction phase.

37 minutes ago, K said:

strong Last Jedi vibes in places

It wasn't that bad!

I think the problem now is that...

Either lots of characters survive against the grain, or a bunch of them have deaths that are less satisfying than they could've been.

In hindsight, I think they first chickened out in S4 with Oberyn as a sub for Tyrion. Tyrion's death at the time would've been huge, but we forgave that because Pascal was wonderful as a one-season redshirt, and of course Tyrion was at the height of his popularity then. The writing for both made sense in terms of their respective fates, so as clear as it was that Oberyn was employed as a bullet-catcher, his interactions enriched the world.

For a good while I've been slightly annoyed by writers pointing to Sean Bean as gushing evidence that ‘From that moment on we knew that no-one was safe!’. The Red Wedding backed it up superbly, but then — increasingly as seasons have passed — it's ceased to apply. And yet people are still repeating it.

Regarding the (partly justified) complaints about plot armour:

Spoiler

The issue isn't the characters surviving per se but the ways in which the cuts obscured that everything was happening at once. Having that many points to cover they needed some kind of timer on screen to show at what point each bit was happening. Obviously not possible in GoT but the edit could have made it clearer that the points of absolute peril (aside from Sam's multiple miraculous escapes) were right at the end as Arya was going to go full Shinobi.

The field setup was just laughable. Everything about it was wrong. I know that it's not supposed to be realistic medieval warfare but that looked like the design was upside down when the CGI was being done. Proper Spinal Tap levels of wrongness.

I loved it, but... man I stopped playing videogames partly because of the tedious stealth sections in otherwise excellent games.

Also in that section the pace changed to that of a different show, and was quite jarring.

I love these Total War takes.

@Pete

I found it weird how Arya was vulnerable whenever we could see her, but then Snake when we couldn't. That table trick's as old as the hills in film, but you know what I mean. It's like her assassin powers are on a parking meter.

7 minutes ago, Pete said:

I loved it, but... man I stopped playing videogames partly because of the tedious stealth sections in otherwise excellent games.

Also in that section the pace changed to that of a different show, and was quite jarring.

Plus since The Last of Us, everything has to be fecking Clickers

12 minutes ago, earlymodernsteve said:

Regarding the (partly justified) complaints about plot armour:

Hide contents

The issue isn't the characters surviving per se but the ways in which the cuts obscured that everything was happening at once. Having that many points to cover they needed some kind of timer on screen to show at what point each bit was happening. Obviously not possible in GoT but the edit could have made it clearer that the points of absolute peril (aside from Sam's multiple miraculous escapes) were right at the end as Arya was going to go full Shinobi.

The field setup was just laughable. Everything about it was wrong. I know that it's not supposed to be realistic medieval warfare but that looked like the design was upside down when the CGI was being done. Proper Spinal Tap levels of wrongness.

No, the issue is that

Spoiler

the MAIN main characters had plot armour and only the secondary main characters were ever in deadly peril. Not how they showed it, not how they edited it (although those two aspects were also arguably lacking), the problem is that exactly the characters you would predict to survive in a generic show, survived. It's lazy writing and a far cry from the feeling of nobody being safe of the first 4 to 5 seasons. They had a chance to shock the audience again and they Michael Bay'd it. It's enjoyable popcorn action fluff, but there's no subtlety or ingenuity to the writing at all.

26 minutes ago, mindgames said:

I liked how

Reveal hidden contents

This show could never have too much of that.

Non-crone edition, if there’s a choice

15 minutes ago, Escaped said:

It wasn't that bad!

I think the problem now is that...

Hide contents

Either lots of characters survive against the grain, or a bunch of them have deaths that are less satisfying than they could've been.

In hindsight, I think they first chickened out in S4 with Oberyn as a sub for Tyrion. Tyrion's death at the time would've been huge, but we forgave that because Pascal was wonderful as a one-season redshirt, and of course Tyrion was at the height of his popularity then. The writing for both made sense in terms of their respective fates, so as clear as it was that Oberyn was employed as a bullet-catcher, his interactions enriched the world.

For a good while I've been slightly annoyed by writers pointing to Sean Bean as gushing evidence that ‘From that moment on we knew that no-one was safe!’. The Red Wedding backed it up superbly, but then — increasingly as seasons have passed — it's ceased to apply. And yet people are still repeating it.

But 

Tyrion doesn’t die at that point in the book...

Well I enjoyed that episode, Marvel could learn a thing or two from GoT on how to do Great War battles.

Only complaint which I think everyone has mentioned, “someone turn on the lights”

Stupidest moment of the episode for me which made me laugh out loud:

Spoiler

So we've got these huge swarms, and they're FAST and AGGRESSIVE and just RUSH YOU and FUCK YOU UP all throughout the episode - but when confronted with Jon Snow standing alone in the middle of the battle field without backup, they decide to take it slow again and calmly shamble towards Jon, one at at a time, to give the poor bastard a fighting chance. 

Finished watching and been catching up with the thread.

Yes, the episode has its flaws (they better have saved the lighting budget for ep5) but considering GRRM hasn't even got this far in the books that don't exist I thought it was:omg::omg::omg:

I was on the edge of my seat for most of it

Spoiler

I actually gave a round of applause and woke my wife up by shouting YES! at the Arya moment