rllmuk
Daley

Game of Thrones - No Book Chat. NONE. The Books don't exist.

7 hours ago, Delargey said:

It's not the shows editing, its people not paying attention, or understandably, forgetting things.

They showed us the shadow baby as a dramatic reveal, then they explained its limitations. It wouldn't make sense in terms of drama or character to do this in a different order. For me, anyway. 

I'm referring particularly to the build up beforehand. Melisindre made it sound significant that she was going to give Stannis a son, and with the birth scene being the final scene of an episode, it made it look like much more of a big deal, like this was going to be a new character or something.

Later episodes did clearly lay out the limitations afterwards, but I think that's the wrong order to do such things.

47 minutes ago, Straps said:

WTF! Was season one years ago? I thought it was like... 6 months?

6 months in the show....? It takes weeks and months to travel anywhere, and a load of dragons and wolves have grown to near adult size. Try around 5 years at least. 

On 25/04/2019 at 02:58, Tourist said:

I'm fully expecting a Doctor Whoesque Big Bad Wolf ending that fails to resolve about 90% of the plot strands that the writer(s) threw in when they were making things up as they went along back in the mists of the early series. Like, what was the point of the the wolves, the invincible world-breaking shadow things, the invincible world-breaking faceless assassins, those largely pointless women with whips and spears and stuff, the abysmal bit with the wavy sausage guy, the sudden appearance and subsequent disappearance of banking cartels etc. etc.?

This explains rather a lot, concerning TLJ thread. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

8 hours ago, Straps said:

WTF! Was season one years ago? I thought it was like... 6 months?

Bran went from little clambering scamp to middle aged woman in 6 months? Rough gig.

• Upvote 5

Just caught up.

Spoiler

Tormund championing the cause of feminism was a particular highlight.

"Fuck tradition."

• Upvote 2

Just been reminding myself of where the books are at this point - I'd kinda forgotten just how *completely* different they are from the show now.  

• Empathy 1

What books?

2 hours ago, Benny said:

Just caught up.

Reveal hidden contents

Tormund championing the cause of feminism was a particular highlight.

"Fuck tradition."

I think the whole point of the Wildlings is to question to validity of the patriarchal society and its laws of primogeniture etc. GRRM kind of undercuts this by making it such a big deal that Jon Snow isn't a bastard I guess.

1 hour ago, scottcr said:

Just been reminding myself of where the books are at this point - I'd kinda forgotten just how *completely* different they are from the show now.  

Here was me thinking it was common knowledge that the show overtook the books years ago. 

EDIT Oh yeah - what bloody books???

• Downvote 1

7 minutes ago, Chadruharazzeb said:

Here was me thinking it was common knowledge that the show overtook the books years ago. 

EDIT Oh yeah - what bloody books???

it's not just overtaken - it's just completely different.

Varys kills Kevan Lannister is the big cliff hanger in the last book

Brienne was hung by Lady Stoneheart but seems to have been cut down and freed - but seems to be leading Jaime into a trap

Podrick is probably dead :(

... and dont' even start on Griff, Jon Connington and the Golden Company.

36 minutes ago, scottcr said:

Hide contents

Brienne was hung by Lady Stoneheart but seems to have been cut down and freed - but seems to be leading Jaime into a trap

When people wonder how Dorne could be any worse than what was shown, mention Darkstar, he of the night...

• Upvote 1
  • Empathy 1

3 hours ago, scottcr said:

Hide contents

Also, and more importantly,

Spoiler

4 of the 6 direwolves are still alive and going around being generally fucking awesome!

• Upvote 1

56 minutes ago, Wroth said:

Also, and more importantly,

Hide contents

4 of the 6 direwolves are still alive and going around being generally fucking awesome!

Truedat - totally awesome

Just watched this old video about the Iron Bank. Thought it was an interesting idea, but with so few episodes this season, its highly unlikely, which is a shame

:

I love how there’s been no mention of Rickon Stark; the Stark kids have met up for the first time since season one and not one of them mentions Rickon. Da fuq!?!

I wonder if we’ll see Hodor as one of the undead :)

• Upvote 1