IGNORED

Game of Thrones - No Book Chat. NONE. The Books don't exist.

Daley

I watched it on an oled c7 and checked it on a regular 4k and it was beyond Rediculous trying to see anything for the first 40mins. Only when there was an external light source could you see anything. Saving on cgi budget and probably falling on "we wanted it to make it dark to illustrate intensity". But we managed to get that perfectly fine in hard home. Director did well with the script and budget he had. But it was definitely was a Dissapointing episode for me, character wise and how it ended.

My screen wasn't too much of a problem — my source was. I think I've said before that these episodes need to be 20-30GB each to do them justice.

Continuity...

Without Gendry's weapons they were toast, but Mel tried to kill him after her last meeting with Arya. The Lord of Light only gives glimpses, fine, but Mel knew which room to be in to receive Arya and Beric, and she'd foreseen the NK falling when she met Davos. Messy writing.

If the icy throne room still happens, either the NK isn't dead (and that screws up Azor, so he probably is), or his dragon's alive and awaiting a new rider. Dany's the massive favourite in that case. The Mountain's half-dead, too, and there's that thing about him not being allowed to speak until his service is done. Could be a shark-jump in his future.

[edit]

Also, because Dany doesn't feel extreme heat, how come she isn't freezing? Because she wouldn't be wearing that coat if she didn't feel the temperature at all. I'm being silly, of course, but I don't think it's ever been explained? This Ice Queen talk just reminded me.

2 hours ago, the_debaser said:

Just watched it. First half was too dark, could barely make out what was going on. It put a bit of a dampener on what was an otherwise decent episode. 

Fucking this! Between that and the epileptic camera I couldn't see what was happy for the first hour. Even on Sky HD it was pixelated.

And regarding the episode 

Spoiler

It's that's really it for the Night King I'll be pissed off. There has to be something more than 'oh he was just a nasty man'.

13 minutes ago, Thwomp said:

And regarding the episode 

Hide contents

It's that's really it for the Night King I'll be pissed off. There has to be something more than 'oh he was just a nasty man'.

I'm in two minds about that:

Because while I totally agree with you, now that he's finally gone (if he has), we're down to the best bits that we've waited so long for. The sad thing is that it's all over straight after we get to them. And it feels to me like we're approaching the end of arcs that would've been finished more engagingly throughout seasons 5-7. Funnily enough, now is exactly where Littlefinger belongs. His was a shit ladder.

Dany's story has always felt tacked on to me, both in her early seasons as a praised tyrant in Essos, to these more recent years where her only relevance to Westerosi power is 3DMark dragons, rather than anything about her underwritten self.

It was obviously WAY too dark. Clearly saving money. 

Spoiler

I'd have liked the battle to start at sunset so we could see the scale of the opposition and maybe the initial fight, then the sun set and the storm come in for the dark necessary for the finale. But clearly they were having to cut some corners to keep it in budget.

That said it was tense, I felt throughout like it was turning against them, I was frustrated by the dark but it fit with the tension of the episode. The defenders didn;t know what was happening either and in retrospect I think it worked.

I echo the sentiment on the battle tactics though. What the fuck was that! Siege engines in FRONT of your infantry? Cavalry charge into the dark, a couple of volleys of Trebuchet fire then stop ?  The greatest minds in the 7 kingdoms came up with that strategy did they ?

The zombie attack on winterfell was all timed wrong as well. People cut off an surviving WAY longer than was believable. Just a slight tightening up of the final section could have solved that.  But I really enjoyed the moment when the NK raised the fallen, had a real sense of doom about it. And Johns run through the castle seeing everyone dying but not being able to stop to help them was well done as well. It would have had a lot more impact if any of them had actually died instead of some how holding off a horde of enemies single handed and then surviving. 

Overall I enjoyed it within the framework of what the show has become over the last couple of seasons I thought it was pretty good. Couple of really exciting bits, a lot of edge of your seat moments and although we all knew what was going to happen at the end I was still shocked by the abruptness of it. It could have been much better quite easily though, they over played a couple of bits and underplayed some others. 

I mean where was Sansas reaction to seeing her family pop out of the walls to kill her? Not even a quip from Tyrion about it! 

2 minutes ago, Strategos said:

It was obviously WAY too dark. Clearly saving money. 

Hide contents

The greatest minds in the 7 kingdoms came up with that strategy did they ?

Yeah, because...

Tyrion couldn't do owt from the crypt.

Also 

Spoiler

Why was Bran just having a little fly about with some crows for an hour? He knew what was going to happen, he didn't need to see through the crows for the events to unfold, they were already predetermined.

Spoiler

With the deaths of Beric and Melisandre who the Lord of Light kept alive to serve a purpose is the show foreshadowing the real death of Jon Snow, who he has also kept alive?  Presumably his purpose was to bring about the defeat of the NK.  If he does die then I can only see Daenerys winning the throne.

6 minutes ago, Thwomp said:

Also 

Hide contents

Why was Bran just having a little fly about with some crows for an hour? He knew what was going to happen, he didn't need to see through the crows for the events to unfold, they were already predetermined.

He'd seen...

What's wrong with LOTR?

I thought it was a decent episode,  those who were expecting anything more than action though were kidding themselves. 

I still have no idea how

most of the main characters survived,  they were absolutely swamped

still  there is still 3 episodes left and I expect another battle at king's landing.

The extreme darkness kinda ruined it fir a while though. Felt like I was watching a shitty cam for a while and I have a pretty decent oled TV.

1 hour ago, scottcr said:

Youse must have some shitey tellies..I watched it this morning on my old 720p plasma and it was fine. The biggest problem was the shitty HD from sky meaning some banding in the skies

65” LG C8 OLED that’s been professionally ISF calibrated, in a dark room and it looked like shit. Perhaps your telly is that shitty that everything looks the same, good or bad and you’re just used to it?

Far too dark and like someone else mentioned, while you could make out what was going on it added unnecessary strain that took away a lot of the enjoyment. 

30 minutes ago, Thwomp said:

Also 

Hide contents

Spoiler

Aye this was a biggie for me too. All we got was Bran saying, ‘IM GOING NOW’ and him just warging into crows. I was expecting some great payoff but we got absolutely fuck all.:blink:

4 hours ago, Waggo said:
  Reveal hidden contents

As I suspected with my mixed emotions about the episode on first viewing this morning, the more time passes the less satisfying I am finding it.  There were undoubtedly excellent moments (The Dothraki charge, and Melisandre reminding Arya she would close many blue eyes were particular highlights for me), but on the grander story telling side of things it feels lacking.  The Night King built up over 8 seasons as this great threat to the entire world, who takes 8,000 years to finally break down the wall is defeated by the first decently defended castle he comes to!!!!  If he was so vulnerable why is he anywhere near the battle?  Plus absolutely no inventive twist whatsoever.  If they were going to kill of the Walker threat in one episode then they should have at least had Cersi have a change of heart and rock up with her forces to turn the tide of battle.  Then at least everyone is in the same place to sort out the battle for the Iron throne.  Instead we will have an episode lost next week to moving chess pieces around the board.  Not convinced following this episode that we are going to get a successful conclusion now, which is the first time I have felt that.:doh::omg::facepalm::mad: 

I think that’s underselling it as just a decent castle. A lot has been made of it being the ‘largest army the world has ever seen’ along with 2 dragons.

8 minutes ago, Darhkwing said:

still  there is still 3 episodes left and I expect another battle at king's landing.

Indeed, although who's left to fight? Cersei has a giant army, whilst the other side has about ten people and an injured dragon. Possibly a dozen Iron Islanders they might be able to drag into it too  I suppose

1 minute ago, Mike said:

Flippin eck!

Hope they have the next battle in the day time.

Without giving away any spoilers a friend of mine worked on the kings landing set as extra during the battle and it’s set during the day -(could see them filming it from my office ) 

7 minutes ago, MrPogo said:

Hide contents

Indeed, although who's left to fight? Cersei has a giant army, whilst the other side has about ten people and an injured dragon. Possibly a dozen Iron Islanders they might be able to drag into it too  I suppose

Spoiler

If defeating the Night King and sacrificing her army to do it is seen as a big deal In the rest of Westeros, then maybe they will switch their forces to team Targaryen.  She already has the North and the Vale through her alliance with the  Starks, Dornes forces were never used, and both male Lannisters are onboard in theory so they could win persuade their remaining forces to switch sides.  Don’t think the show will go that deep into it though with so few episodes left. My prediction is Cersei to win the battle, but lose by being killed herself probably at the hands of Jaime, in much the same way the battle at Winterfell just went down for the NK.  Yara will be back to kill Euron though I reckon.

What's really the motive of Jon Snow & the Dragon Queen now? They've just gone through hell, are they now going to rush back into battle with Cersai? For what? 

Why wouldn't they chill for a bit now, build up their army a bit etc? It's not like Cersai is posing any threat to Winterfell, unlike the NK army. 

I thought that was pretty epic but

That warging was annoyingly pointless unless he went and sorted some other shit out

Dothraki sure are dumb but those lights going out was superbly ominous

Plasma then last half on the OLED. Dark but no major problems seeing what was going on.