IGNORED

Game of Thrones - No Book Chat. NONE. The Books don't exist.

Daley

Spoiler

I yelled FUCK YOOOOOU right at the end :lol:

The last sequence was so fucking tense. I was scared shitless that was Drogon crashing into the castle. Him being swarmed by wights looked so wrong and disturbing. God. But at the end; curling around them, frrrping in sadness  :(

The music was excellent. We got the dragon flight music, Arya’s needle music. Some sort of fucking tense ass Dunkirk style ticking music which sent my anxiety through the bloody roof.

Not great for many reasons. 

Spoiler

The red woman's storyline was brought together in a totally shit way. She showed up and had zero real impact on the battle. And then she was like now I have done what I was sent here to do (nothing really) and I must die. And so she did. Terrible writing. But that is at least one branch of the story closed. 

I will add them as I am reminded of them on this here rewatch. 

1 minute ago, Raoull duke said:

Not great for many reasons. 

Hide contents

The red woman's storyline was brought together in a totally shit way. She showed up and had zero real impact on the battle. And then she was like now I have done what I was sent here to do (nothing much) and I must die. And so she did. Terrible writing. But that is at least one branch of the story closed. 

Spoiler

Didn’t she essentially tell Arya to go all Assassin’s Creed?

Spoiler

I liked how the writers just got sick of the Dothraki and were like yeah let's just make them all disappear in the dark. And even though there is a main story white guy and a dire wolf with them they can both just randomly come back with like two token Dothraki and a few horses just because. Quality writing. 

Edit. Minor note to this. All the dothraki that came back were all on foot. But Jorrah was on horseback despite the fact that the Dothraki are meant to be the best horsemen in the entire world according to the story. 

1 hour ago, Floshenbarnical said:
  Hide contents

We called the Night King’s death a while back. That was some stone-cold shit right there. I screamed the house down when it happened. 

Didnt we we see that blade switch in a previous season, did she see it before or use it or something?

Spoiler

It was part of her training.

She went all Deus Ex Arya On us!

Arya cycled through through, Resident Evil to MGS to Assassins Creed  in an hour 

Took all my willpower not to sack off work and just immediatly watch it again.

With this and End Game it’s not been a bad old week.

Spoiler

So so many great bits, incredibly tense and un-nerving. That score was incredible.

Only slight criticism was a little too much suspension of disbelief was needed that some main characters (Jamie, Brieanne, etc) were able to survive while the Night King sauntered towards Bran, but that’s a minor point.

Best Bit - I think Jon chasing down the Night King amongst the dead bodies and me realising about a second before his hands started raising what was going on - oh

fuck!

Or all the bodies falling from the sky and getting straight up.

or

Chief Mormont fucking up the giant.

Or

Goodbye Night King

Not a best bit as such, but that little moment between Tyrion and Sansa while hiding was great.

I’d never be able to do the Ayra stealth bit in the game version. 

31 minutes ago, Ork1927 said:

Took all my willpower not to sack off work and just immediatly watch it again.

With this and End Game it’s not been a bad old week.

Hide contents

Not a best bit as such, but that little moment between Tyrion and Sansa while hiding was great.

I thought for a second Sansa was going to offer to put his cock in her mouth while they died

That was horrible....

Spoiler

But only in the sense of doom and dread. I think I must have had several panic attacks worrying about people dying.

Wasnt overly a fan of it being set at night. Looked nice with the fire but a lot of it was unfollowable and I was watching on aTV with no glare.

It got a little silly too with our heroes just being fine with multiple zombies on them. Sam is a shite fighter but somehow managed to last longer than Dothraki and Unsulied, people bread for fighting. Some of them have pure plot armour, which is fine but they were put in positions that looked unescapable.

But otherwise it was a great episode with some wonderful moments.

- The Dothraki flaming swords run, only for them to get snuffed out instantly, showing the treat from the get go

- Dragon fights

- Lady Mormant taking down a giant 

- Theons retribution

- Ayra taking out the Night King

- Dany fighting side by side with Ser Friendzone

- The moment between Sansa and Tyrion

Bran is fucking useless isn't he though. What fucking purpose does he serve?

Watched it just.  It wasn’t perfect and there are a few things that niggle at me, but holy fuckballs when it was good, it was spectacular.

Non spoiler-y stuff first.  The first 20-30 minutes were genuine, edge of my seat spectacle.  Some amazingly well shot scenes, which I’ll say a bit more about when I talk spoilers, but there was a proper sense of dread from the undead army, in a shockingly brutal manner.  I think they did a really good job of making even really important characters feel vulnerable at times, even though the longer it went the less that feeling was there and you got a sense of who was living and dying.  There were still several times I thought major characters were fucked though.

Now for spoilers.  First the good stuff

Some of the battle scenes were fantastic.  The Dothraki charge at the start was spectacular to watch, especially with the flaming swords.  Which then turned into a great visual as they slowly all got snuffed out.  The Unsullied got to be baddasses as well defending the retreat, and I genuinely thought Greyworm was going to sacrifice himself a few times.  As I said, the first about 30 minutes (maybe longer) when they had a plan they were kind of following was best, as it felt like there was a bit of an ebb and flow to the battle.  Eventually it broke down to chaos and that’s when it felt like they started focussing more on individuals, but the start felt like it had a proper structure to it.  Good stuff.

Lyanna Mormont got to go out like the little badass she is.  A perfect encapsulation of her character going out fighting against something many times her size.

I liked the scenes between Tyrion and Sansa, it was a nice for her to acknowledge to him that he did treat her well when.

Now the stuff I’m not so sure about.  I hesitate to call this “bad” but its stuff that niggles at me

The problem with when it broke down into chaos for me was that it felt like it went on a bit too long, leaving several characters seemingly teetering on the edge for quite a while, a lot longer than it felt like they should be in that situation.  Prime example being Sam, who is not a good fighter, being pinned down in the courtyard for what felt like ages.  At least from how it was edited.  Similarly, Jaime, Brienne and Pod seemed pinned against a wall for a long time, and should have been swamped realistically.  Its not a major problem, but I think they could have maybe done that better.  Like have them in a more defendable position and just as the night king comes, that’s when they start to get swamped.

I’m not sure if I like the amount of deaths in this episode or not.  On the one hand, too many would have cheapened some of them.  On the other, we only really got Jorah as a big character death.  Im not sure I count Theon as major.  But he was the second biggest death, and just from that its not the death soaked episode people were expecting.  I can only really think of Beric, Lyanna and Edd as named characters that died, unless you count Melisanndre at the end.  For a show that’s delighted almost in killing off big characters, this seemed not only anticlimactic, but utterly safe.

The dragon fights were hard to follow - they looked the same most the time so it was hard to tell who was doing what.

Lastly, while I dont think I mind how he was defeated, I thought there’d be more behind the night king than we’ve got.  Considering all the theories behind who he is and what is plan is, we didn’t really get much.  I think some people were expecting some dramatic reveal or twist as to who he is and what he really wants.  I guess if there is, we’ll not find out.  Him just being a big baddie who wanted to kill Bran and nothing more will disappoint a lot of people I think though

It’ll be interesting to see what they do with the last 3 episodes now though.  Not sure what they’re going to do to try and top that one, but the directors doing episode 5 so im guessing that’s where we’ll see it if they try.