rllmuk
Daley

Game of Thrones - No Book Chat. NONE. The Books don't exist.

On 11/02/2019 at 15:35, Treble said:

What was great about it early on was how anyone could die, and anyone could win. By the end of S4, if someone had said, "The Dornish end up victors" you'd have been shocked but not surprised.

All dramas face this problem, and I think the only solution is fewer [less] seasons. Because audiences are slightly strange in wanting lots of deaths early doors, but then once the bulk of characters have been established (naturally aided by that action), that desire turns us towards wanting far grander death arcs for them. And there's nothing wrong with that, but it leads to an overretention of popular characters to maximise our interest in the final episodes (going through mid-years invincibility, frustratingly obviously), and then how do you not rush them...

Nothing's really happened in the past two seasons of Vikings, for example, as the clock looms large over its final season. It used the common workaround of introducing a series of temps, the expedited deaths of whom were narratively palatable with less effort (The Last Kingdom's still in the sweet spot). Thrones has a glut of popular characters left to kill, and as Benny says, that's a catch-22. In order to keep us as excited as possible about the fates of our favourites, the accumulated backlog's left too little time to do most of them justice. Just running through populars in my head...

Hound (plus Cleganebowl); Arya; Brienne; Pod; Tormund; Davos; Bronn; Jaime; Tyrion; Gendry; Friendzone; Beric; Varys; Lyanna... Even Hot Pie and Edd!

They've only dealt with Littlefinger in more recent times, and there's a good chance his ending'll soon feel fleshed out.

And that's before adding the narrative mains...

Jon; Dolores; Cersei; Night King; Sansa; Bran...

I'm personally far more interested in the former group, but that's a big old chunk o' names to write satisfying endings for. Plus...

The Greyjoys, Sam and Gilly, Melisandre, and more.

[edit]

I'd have...

put Gendry on another boat for the lols. The only one who sails into the sunset.

• Upvote 1

@Escaped you missed out audience favourite

dani

. I see

her

final story where 

she’s eaten by a dragon suffering from diabetes

might be difficult to film, but there’s always hope?

It gets confusing because of Dolorous Edd, whereas I'm on about...

Dolores Stormborn, the murderous Maine mhysa. It just seems like miscasting to have a 30ish woman playing, what, a 15-year-old at this point? I'm pretty sure she has the highest killcount, but hasn't been called on it yet.

The worst thing was that it was all so needless. He'd very easily kicked The Mountain's backside all over the place with his Jet Li fighting skills, and then gets taken down because he was sodding around too much. Even now when I see Pedro Pascal in stuff I always think "Hey it's Prince Watermelon Head".

On 14/02/2019 at 06:30, Escaped said:

Reveal hidden contents

Dolores Stormborn, the murderous Maine mhysa. It just seems like miscasting to have a 30ish woman playing, what, a 15-year-old at this point? I'm pretty sure she has the highest killcount, but hasn't been called on it yet.

Who the fuck is Edd, Uncle Pirate, Maine mhysa and Dolores? Have I missed a season?

Uncle Euron and Daenerys Stormborn, but I've clearly overestimated Dolores Claiborne's renown. It's just my own daft thing because Dany goes around burning folk, and Friendzone (we all know him!), Jon, Tyrion and Varys treat her as humankind's saviour. She's Mhysa, Khaleesi, Stormborn and Targaryen, while Dolores lived in Maine and — less creatively — pushed her enemies into wells.

You've missed Edd because he's on probation, but that's his name. He's at Castle Aaargh Black.

12 hours ago, Boothjan said:

Just watched Mountain v Oberyn.

I came to the series really late and watched S1-6 over a couple of months, and I still feel that its quality dropped off noticeably after 3 and 4. I think those were probably the best seasons for consistent action, albeit maybe not as good as the first two for writing.

Before the Sand Worms and Sparrows, Arya's VR Missions, Ramsay's Castle Nightmares, and everything else that's hobbled the pace to the detriment of much better arcs. I found Dany's longest-ever-journey especially dull, and I don't like how her evils have been largely committed by proxy so that she can remain a goodie when she isn't. I miss Roger Allam's input in framing her place.

On 11/02/2019 at 15:33, Delargey said:

No, I asked him to pose for an awkward picture though.

Screen Shot 2019-02-11 at 15.33.01.png

I met him on the street again today, he stopped for a chat when he saw me which was nice.

• Upvote 3

If I subscribe to whichever Now TV package has Sky Atlantic for a couple of months I’ll be able to watch these as they’re released right?

Yeah, I only had seasons 1-4 on Blu-ray and was going to pick the others up until I saw they had them. Started season 5 last the other day and fuck me what a comedown. It doesn't help that the GoT blurays are among the best out there, beautiful transfers.

Does anyone know of a decent, fairly brief but comprehensive YouTube recap of the last 7 seasons for my mum - who has forgotten everything that has ever happened...

17 minutes ago, JML said:

Does anyone know of a decent, fairly brief but comprehensive YouTube recap of the last 7 seasons for my mum - who has forgotten everything that has ever happened...

Try this one:

Thanks. But that one goes all shite and weird and fan-made near the end. Do the HBO YouTube channel ever do them?

On 07/03/2019 at 15:11, JML said:

GamesRadar have just released this recap which seems better.

HTH

• Upvote 2

On 06/03/2019 at 12:25, Benny said:

In glorious 720p mufflovision.

It’s ridiculous isn’t it? I was all for subscribing to it, and my free trial made me actually laugh at how fucking bad it looked.

I just finished watching them all for the first time on NowTV. Picture looked fine to me :)

My favourite bit was where Bronn and Jaime were about to rescue the Princess when they got ambushed by the Sand Snakes, and it cut to Bronn who just said...

"Ohhhhh for fuck's sake"

:lol:

https://www.newyorker.com/culture/personal-history/emilia-clarke-a-battle-for-my-life-brain-aneurysm-surgery-game-of-thrones

A Battle for My Life

I had just finished filming Season 1 of “Game of Thrones.” Then I was struck with the first of two aneurysms.

By Emilia Clarke

EmiliaClarke-PersonalEssay-Story.jpg

Sounds terrifying and a lot of sympathy for her.  I’m glad that it’s behind her though and she gets to tell the story like this rather than being told as part of the GoT paparazzi.

• Upvote 1