rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
Daley

Game of Thrones - No Book Chat. NONE. The Books don't exist.

21 minutes ago, Stigweard said:
  Hide contents

I'm going with a Tyrion betrayal because he loved Myrcella and Tommen and wants to do right by his new niece/nephew 

Of course Cersai could also be lying about it to manipulate him and Jamie 

I can't think of much which would have time to play out in one series which is presumably due to take place of a fairly compact timescale (rather than years or decades), unless she wanted him to murder Jon ASAP, and I'm not entirely sure why she'd have asked for that

1 hour ago, JohnC said:
  Reveal hidden contents

She is his aunt. Jon's secret dad, Rhaegar, is Dany's brother.

Spoiler

1317063_o.gif

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Harsin said:
  Hide contents

"Podrick, let me awkwardly announce that we'll have a drink and walk off screen somewhere.”

"Why?”

"I'm not allowed on set the same time as Lena Headey.”

This way m'boy, we've got a spinoff to formulate!

2 hours ago, Talk Show Host said:

Hide contents

Danny

1 hour ago, Stigweard said:

Hide contents

Cersai

1 hour ago, tbb said:

Hide contents

Jamie

55 minutes ago, Mr Ben said:

Hide contents

Cercei

52 minutes ago, Lorfarius said:

Hide contents

Cercei

43 minutes ago, Stigweard said:
  Hide contents

Cersai
Jamie 

PEkBoao.gif

• Upvote 7

Ep7 spoilers:

Spoiler

Even with all the fan theories I was still nicely surprised with the Littlefinger switcheroo. 

Jamie should have been killed, or killed Cersai. Him just leaving like that was stupid. 

Some of it was a bit anti-climatic and Captain Exposition Bran spelling out Jon's parentage and all that was just badly implemented and not needed. 

I liked Sam's reaction to being told by Bran that he'said the 3 eyed raven. 

And I laughed when Viking guy tried kicking Theon in the balls, to quote the Adam Sandler cinematic classic Mr Deeds: "Where were you kicking? I ain't got no balls, dummy."

NK flying around on the Dragon looked so silly. 

Overall though I'm a bit disappointed with the series overall. Too much stupid still happening. The whole kidnap a zombie was stupid from the start and  now has lead to silly NK Dragon rider. Too many characters now appear to be invincible, surviving too many times when they should die. 

Oh and on the subject of fan theories 

Spoiler

How many of these theories people were posting- Littlefinger switcheroo, blue flames, series ending with the horde coming through the wall etc.. we're actually theories or just people reposting what they read from leaked scripts ad their own thoughts? 

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, Mr Cochese said:

I think it's just that predictable now.

Yup, it's gone from a show that no one (other than book readers) knew what was going on into a very predictable fan service show.

the dead coming through the wall had to happen at some point (cos you can just ignore them on the other side of it really!), and with so little show remaining it pretty much had to be this series, logically being the grand finale!

• Upvote 2

Fantasy tropes are like gravity - they always win in time. The fat man spun things out for a while with his comedy plot twists, but he knew how it had to end.

• Upvote 3

10 minutes ago, Azrael said:

Ep7 spoilers:

Reveal hidden contents

Even with all the fan theories I was still nicely surprised with the Littlefinger switcheroo. 

Jamie should have been killed, or killed Cersai. Him just leaving like that was stupid. 

Some of it was a bit anti-climatic and Captain Exposition Bran spelling out Jon's parentage and all that was just badly implemented and not needed. 

I liked Sam's reaction to being told by Bran that he'said the 3 eyed raven. 

And I laughed when Viking guy tried kicking Theon in the balls, to quote the Adam Sandler cinematic classic Mr Deeds: "Where were you kicking? I ain't got no balls, dummy."

NK flying around on the Dragon looked so silly. 

Overall though I'm a bit disappointed with the series overall. Too much stupid still happening. The whole kidnap a zombie was stupid from the start and  now has lead to silly NK Dragon rider. Too many characters now appear to be invincible, surviving too many times when they should die. 

Oh and on the subject of fan theories 

Hide contents

How many of these theories people were posting- Littlefinger switcheroo, blue flames, series ending with the horde coming through the wall etc.. we're actually theories or just people reposting what they read from leaked scripts ad their own thoughts? 

I predicted all of those things (among some other yet to be proven wrong or right theories) just by watching it. They show way too much too soon and bend way too awkwardly at times, and constantly insert Chekov's gun plot elements that can only resolve in certain ways. Though I was only half right on the first one:

Spoiler

there's not much point in Arya pretending to be Littlefinger now that they've offed him in front of all his men. I doubt he has any sway in King's Landing now.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Mr Cochese said:

Fantasy tropes are like gravity - they always win in time. The fat man spun things out for a while with his comedy plot twists, but he knew how it had to end.

Spoiler

Two dragons launching streams of blue and red fire at each other which meet in the middle Dragonball style, while someone from the ground says "It truly is a song of ice and fire"?

I swear they've got Blizzard writing uncredited at times.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, BlinkyBear said:

Re. writing overall and fan "theories":

Hide contents

You could moan and complain about fan theories being correct and that as a result the writing is poor, lazy or paying too much fan service. Or, you could take the position that "fan theories coming true" are because the series has been well plotted, well written and "theories" are based on ideas that have been well

established and created so that the audience can fully understand when they are resolved.

Which do you agree with?

8 minutes ago, BlinkyBear said:

Re. writing overall and fan "theories":

Reveal hidden contents

You could moan and complain about fan theories being correct and that as a result the writing is poor, lazy or paying too much fan service. Or, you could take the position that "fan theories coming true" are because the series has been well plotted, well written and "theories" are based on ideas that have been well

established and created so that the audience can fully understand when they are resolved.

Yeah but... thrilling writing is where expectations such as fan theories are confounded by twists which are even cleverer, signposted but not obvious or predictable, and propel the overall story in interesting directions.

This is what the shows previous big deaths did.

4 minutes ago, sir shrew said:

Yeah but... thrilling writing is where expectations such as fan theories are confounded by twists which are even cleverer, signposted but not obvious or predictable, and propel the overall story in interesting directions.

But all that was based on the books.... they are now coming up with fresh stuff. Yes they know Martin's ending but with the speed he writes I doubt its been more than a paragraph summary.

18 minutes ago, Mr Cochese said:

Which do you agree with?

Undecided until it’s finished. Currently giving the show-runners the benefit of the doubt. 

10 hours ago, Thwomp said:
  Hide contents

I thought episode 7 was one of the best ones I've seen, up until the dragon at the end. The Night King has been marching toward the wall for a reason. So now they're saying if he hadn't found the dragon by sheer chance, all his marching would've been for nothing? Unless the Night King can see the future, I don't get how this plot works.

Spoiler

Surely his giants could smash through the gates? Remember, the Night's Watch were severely short-handed to start with, and their ranks have been devastated. I realise it's the Wildlings at Eastwatch, but it's been implied they're not very strong any more either. Surely there's never been a better time for the NK to attack the wall, even without the dragon.

Ep7

As a finale it maybe felt a little flat but it was a decent episode, probably the best of the series.

Very confused about Jon being called Aegon when Rhaegar already had a child called Aegon who would still have been alive the last time Rhaegar and Lyanna saw each other.

NK riding the dragon looked super goofy, I think it'd have been better to just have it do his bidding telepathically while he's on horseback.

Can only assume Tyrion made a promise to Cersei that involves screwing Jon/Dany over, what with his forlorn looks at the end.

11 hours ago, sir shrew said:

Disagree. Thrilling writing can take many forms and use all sorts of techniques to achieve the desired results. In a show like this, I’d even argue that Direction can be just as important in creating ‘thrills’. Watch THE Ned Stark episode back again. That isn’t thrilling now because of twists and unpredictable moments; it’s thrilling because it’s well written, Directed, Edited and Produced. In fact, I’d go so far as to say that thrilling writing is at its most shallow when it relies on gimmicks such as shocks, surprises or twists. 

The vulneribility of all characters at all times is something which marked the books and the series out, but it simply cannot rely on that trope forever without alienating and annoying a loyal fan base. For that you need solid characters, enjoyable stories and well-crafted technical elements.  

• Upvote 6

Tyrion with that sad look might mean he betrayed them all. You never see the scene of him and cersei discussing the acceptance of the truce.

12 minutes ago, Zero9X said:

Hide contents

Tyrion with that sad look might mean he betrayed them all. You never see the scene of him and cersei discussing the acceptance of the truce.

That was what I assumed yeah. It's going to have to play out pretty quickly though if so because it's not going to take long for them to find out Cersei has screwed them over.

On 25/08/2017 at 21:02, kitten said:

So he not only annuls his marriage but names his first child from the second marriage after the second child from the first marriage? That'd go down well in Dorne.

My money's on something unpronounceable with lots more "aeaeae" in it, so he decides it's less hassle to stay as Jon.

Well I was wrong about that! Aegon it is. Targaryans are weird.

3 hours ago, Talk Show Host said:

Did anyone understand why

Hide contents

Tyrion looked at the room where Jon and Danny were banging with a mild... sadness? 

Spoiler

Tyrion talks about 'breaking the wheel' and about different forms of secession. Some think that he wants a form of democracy for Westros and that he is dismayed by the prospect of Dany & Jon having a child and there being hereditary line of succession. 

• Upvote 3